Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 27th Feb 15, 11:32 AM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Price of stamps set to rise next month
    • 27th Feb 15, 11:32 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Price of stamps set to rise next month 27th Feb 15 at 11:32 AM
    The price of a first and second class stamp will both rise by 1p from 30 March taking prices to 63p and 54p respectively ...

Read the full story:

Price of stamps set to rise next month

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 27th Feb 15, 11:39 AM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 2,005 Thanks
    Herbalus
    • 27th Feb 15, 11:39 AM
    • 27th Feb 15, 11:39 AM
    I'm now going out to buy 100 stamps to save myself £1.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 27th Feb 15, 12:55 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 27th Feb 15, 12:55 PM
    • 27th Feb 15, 12:55 PM
    I bought ten books worth about 7 or 8 years ago.
    I still have 7 books.

There was a guy who said he bought about £1,500 worth, from Costco, but he used it for business, so it's all gone in a year.
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 27th Feb 15, 4:19 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Caddyman
    • 27th Feb 15, 4:19 PM
    • 27th Feb 15, 4:19 PM
    Err, can't actually remember when I last sent a letter which I actually had to put a stamp on. I stopped sending out Christmas cards and Birthday cards long ago, so that saves me an absolute packet every year! Only letters I ever send these days, are to companies or my local Council who provide business stamped envelopes, such as the Electoral Registration Officer for example. I find I can conduct 99 percent of my business via email, banking, insurance, utilities, just about everything. I guess there are still plenty though that use snail mail. I'm also registered with the Mailing Preference Service, so the postman rarely visits our house these days.
    • Purp1euk
    • By Purp1euk 27th Feb 15, 10:13 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Purp1euk
    • 27th Feb 15, 10:13 PM
    • 27th Feb 15, 10:13 PM
    Has anyone ever used discountedstamps.co.uk to buy stamps?

I don't understand how they can offer a discount when everyone (shop owners included) pay the same price to buy stamps.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 28th Feb 15, 8:59 AM
    • 24,075 Posts
    • 12,491 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 28th Feb 15, 8:59 AM
    • 28th Feb 15, 8:59 AM
    I use fewer stamps, but I'd still support my family by sending a sympathy card as I know they appreciate that support.
    There's money saving and there's miserlyness.
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 28th Feb 15, 12:07 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Caddyman
    • 28th Feb 15, 12:07 PM
    • 28th Feb 15, 12:07 PM
    I use fewer stamps, but I'd still support my family by sending a sympathy card as I know they appreciate that support.
    There's money saving and there's miserlyness.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    Mmm, some might, but I received a sympathy card through the post when my Father died and it just upset me even more. Not everyone appreciates others so called good intentions and in my case, I wished they's saved both the cost of the card and the stamp. That's not being miserly or mean spirited, it's a case of I personally couldn't see the point, especially when the person who sent it saw me in person later anyway which I found far more comforting.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 28th Feb 15, 4:10 PM
    • 8,935 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    RFW
    • 28th Feb 15, 4:10 PM
    • 28th Feb 15, 4:10 PM
    Is it really money saving advice telling people to stock up on stamps now for Christmas?

Apart from the fact that stamps are perishable bits of paper, surely you'd need to be buying a big stash of stamps to save any worthwhile amount of money. If you do have several hundred pounds to invest in stamps for use in 9 months would you be that bothered about saving a fiver?
    • JAG
    • By JAG 28th Feb 15, 4:34 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 1,379 Thanks
    JAG
    • 28th Feb 15, 4:34 PM
    • 28th Feb 15, 4:34 PM
    Has anyone ever used discountedstamps.co.uk to buy stamps?

I don't understand how they can offer a discount when everyone (shop owners included) pay the same price to buy stamps.
    Originally posted by Purp1euk
    See this thread and you may find out why http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4386139&highlight=discountedstamp s+co+uk
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 28th Feb 15, 4:47 PM
    • 4,135 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    Has anyone ever used ???????????????????.co.uk to buy stamps?

Originally posted by Purp1euk
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is

Only contact details appear to be a mobile phone number and a London landline number, yet the individual selling these appears to operate from a Council house/flat/maisonette in Poole, Dorset.

Not many sold (on ebay) despite the low price.

I see in the distant past he also sold numerous (store) gift cards/vouchers for a lot less than face value, which is suprising as when I have sold the odd unwanted one in the past, it reached almost face value very quickly.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 28th Feb 15, 4:56 PM
    • 4,135 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    I bought ten books worth about 7 or 8 years ago.
    I still have 7 books.

There was a guy who said he bought about £1,500 worth, from Costco, but he used it for business, so it's all gone in a year.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    I'm sure if you send that amount of letters, particularly for business, there are much cheaper solutions.

If not enough for alternative cheap postal services that still get pushed through the customers dooor by the same postie (e.g. TNT), then there are Royal Mail alternatives usually involving a franking machine.

I received a letter just last week that the business sender (not big) only paid 50p postage for according to the frank mark.

Like you though, I stocked up with with lots of stamps a few years back when 2nd class was like 30p and first class 39p I think.
    This was in 2010 - the year the coalition government was formed who promised to sell off Royal Mail, which they have since done, so now RM have shareholders pockets to line.
    Last edited by footyguy; 28-02-2015 at 5:09 PM.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 1st Mar 15, 11:11 AM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    I still have four books of first class and six of second class that I bought the last time.
    If only the post office would improve their service to cover these price hikes
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • archived user
    That is a thread about discountedstampsforpostage.co.uk not discountedstamps.co.uk
    • JAG
    • By JAG 1st Mar 15, 6:34 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 1,379 Thanks
    JAG
    That is a thread about discountedstampsforpostage.co.uk not discountedstamps.co.uk
    Originally posted by !!!!!!!
    discountedstamps.co.uk is registered to an individual and not business, so that should always flag up a warning.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 2nd Mar 15, 8:06 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    I'm sure if you send that amount of letters, particularly for business, there are much cheaper solutions.
    Originally posted by footyguy

He was just a one man band, not a big company. Besides, we are talking about Costco coupon price.

These days, you get 2% cashback for Executive membership, and you can use American Express to pay, and I can get 1.25% cashback.
    • graspthenettle
    • By graspthenettle 2nd Mar 15, 2:44 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    graspthenettle
    Mmm, some might, but I received a sympathy card through the post when my Father died and it just upset me even more. Not everyone appreciates others so called good intentions and in my case, I wished they's saved both the cost of the card and the stamp. That's not being miserly or mean spirited, it's a case of I personally couldn't see the point, especially when the person who sent it saw me in person later anyway which I found far more comforting.
    Originally posted by Caddyman
    That's a shame. I can well understand that it upset you at the time but most (and I say, most, not ALL) people appreciate getting sympathy cards because they are something that they can store away and get out at a, maybe, less emotional time and gain some support in realising how much their loved ones meant to others.

That is no criticism of you and I am sorry for your loss, I am just giving you another side of the 'story' as it were.
  • Vox2015
    Snail Mail, Royal Mail, Traditional Comms - Newbie Post
    Hi everyone

This is my first post after a few years of receiving the MSE emails and browsing the very helpful forums, so please let me know if I've not approached this in the best way.

I've spent the last half hour trying to find recent discussions about snail mail and this is the closest topic I found so please do move this if it should be somewhere else :-) I'm posting today on two related snail mail issues.

I'm a keen letter writer/card sender and for the last year I've been sending two or three cards, letters, large letters every month to a dear friend who relocated and now lives a few hours away. We still chat, text and email but both of us enjoy our postal communications. At least we did initially... :-)

In the past 6 months, we seem to be losing about 50% of the post we send to one another. It simply never arrives. I sent 4 items recently (from London to Lincolnshire), all first class, all with clear address info and my return delivery addresses on. The first two items arrived the next day. Next two items vanished like the others- they were sent 2 weeks ago. It seems more goes missing in Lincolnshire, but several of her items to me have also never arrived.

I have been in touch with Royal Mail to log the issues so am not posting here for advice, but I would be interested to know if my friend and I have a localised issue. Are there other MSE letter writers also encountering repeatedly vanishing mail? (We've noticed large letters are particularly likely to go walkies for some reason.) I'm aware of the media coverage about Royal Mail's issues trying to deliver promptly and to all UK addresses our mail isn't delayed, it simply vanishes.

Following on from these issues, I'd like to know if I can create a poll or suggest one for the main site about what other MSE members do with mail that is mis-delivered to them. From chats with chums, I seem to be alone in either writing "return to sender - no longer lives here"; dropping anything from a bank to a nearby branch so they can update the customer's details, or walking it round to the right address if it's a few doors up the road or sometimes a few streets away.) I was surprised when one friend said they simply binned it, asking, "But wouldn't you want a neighbour to return your mis-delivered letters and save you the hassle of chasing up your insurance company or bank for the info to be resent?" Apparently not!

Apologies for a super long post. All thoughts, comments and suggestions eagerly anticipated if you managed to make it to the end :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

455Posts Today

3,594Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin