Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 25th Feb 15, 12:13 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: The best and worst banks: First Direct tops the table and Barclays gets...
    • 25th Feb 15, 12:13 PM
    MSE News: The best and worst banks: First Direct tops the table and Barclays gets... 25th Feb 15 at 12:13 PM
    More than 90% of First Direct's current account customers rate its service as 'great', compared to 39% at Barclays...

Read the full story:

The best and worst banks: First Direct tops the table and Barclays gets the wooden spoon

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • baby frogmella
    • By baby frogmella 25th Feb 15, 12:42 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    baby frogmella
    • 25th Feb 15, 12:42 PM
    • 25th Feb 15, 12:42 PM
    Completely agree with First Direct offering the best CS. Its only after you'be been with other banks such as Clydesdale, Barclays, HSBC et al you realise how good FD are.

Before anyone says FD have paid MSE, these ratings are from the customers themselves.
    Abu not too scared about this. Abu have original Goldeneys game on N64 so no need download it. Abu now go to google this Ben Dover man as Abu hear he make many film and if he so good that he make James Bond Movie then Abu sit down later with the missus and children and we will download more Ben Dover film and watch them as big family together.
    Originally posted by AbuLinconThe3rd
    • Credit-Crunched
    • By Credit-Crunched 25th Feb 15, 12:43 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 4,138 Thanks
    Credit-Crunched
    • 25th Feb 15, 12:43 PM
    • 25th Feb 15, 12:43 PM
    MSE Helen, please can you tell me if this article was proof read, prior to posting.

The syntax used is appalling, bordering on unreadable. I find myself manually adding punctuation marks to your sentences, rather than actually understanding the content.

It does nothing other than undermine, not only the website, but your credentials as a 'journalist'.

This may appear harsh, however, someone at MSE HQ needs to start to control content and quality.
    • Cyberman60
    • By Cyberman60 25th Feb 15, 12:51 PM
    • 2,334 Posts
    • 2,657 Thanks
    Cyberman60
    • 25th Feb 15, 12:51 PM
    • 25th Feb 15, 12:51 PM
    Completely agree with First Direct offering the best CS. Its only after you'be been with other banks such as Clydesdale, Barclays, HSBC et al you realise how good FD are.

Before anyone says FD have paid MSE, these ratings are from the customers themselves.
    Originally posted by baby frogmella
    Indeed, I've been with Midland/HSBC since age 13, and then them since they started up as a subsidiary of them and they've been brilliant.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 25th Feb 15, 1:18 PM
    • 9,451 Posts
    • 13,825 Thanks
    meer53
    • 25th Feb 15, 1:18 PM
    • 25th Feb 15, 1:18 PM
    MSE Helen, please can you tell me if this article was proof read, prior to posting.

The syntax used is appalling, bordering on unreadable. I find myself manually adding punctuation marks to your sentences, rather than actually understanding the content.

It does nothing other than undermine, not only the website, but your credentials as a 'journalist'.

This may appear harsh, however, someone at MSE HQ needs to start to control content and quality.
    Originally posted by Credit-Crunched
    Completely irrelevant post. I had no trouble understanding the post.
    • Credit-Crunched
    • By Credit-Crunched 25th Feb 15, 1:29 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 4,138 Thanks
    Credit-Crunched
    • 25th Feb 15, 1:29 PM
    • 25th Feb 15, 1:29 PM
    Completely irrelevant post. I had no trouble understanding the post.
    Originally posted by meer53
    Maybe I am just pedant.

Ah well, I'll move along!
    • colsten
    • By colsten 25th Feb 15, 1:38 PM
    • 10,280 Posts
    • 9,463 Thanks
    colsten
    • 25th Feb 15, 1:38 PM
    FD do pay MSE a lot in referral money but you are right, this doesn't impact this survey. It's awfully easy though for the entire FD call centre to vote every time this survey comes out.

I have a couple gripes with this survey, none of which are to do with FD coming top:
    1. what is "Customer Service"? There is no definition offered so anybody can make it whatever they like. Therefore the survey is largely meaningless
    2. if there was a definition of Customer Service, I'd like to be able to report my experience with all banks, not be forced to pick one. The concept that people have just one bank account is getting more and more outdated
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 25th Feb 15, 1:38 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    More than 20 years with First Direct, no complaints, but then nobody has asked me my opinion for years! So where is this satisfaction score from?
    • colsten
    • By colsten 25th Feb 15, 1:42 PM
    • 10,280 Posts
    • 9,463 Thanks
    colsten
    • 25th Feb 15, 1:42 PM
    • 25th Feb 15, 1:42 PM
    It's one of the regular MSE surveys: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/poll/16-02-2015/how-do-you-rate-your-bank-accounts-service
    • baby frogmella
    • By baby frogmella 25th Feb 15, 2:31 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    baby frogmella
    FD do pay MSE a lot in referral money but you are right, this doesn't impact this survey. It's awfully easy though for the entire FD call centre to vote every time this survey comes out.

I have a couple gripes with this survey, none of which are to do with FD coming top:
    1. what is "Customer Service"? There is no definition offered so anybody can make it whatever they like. Therefore the survey is largely meaningless
    2. if there was a definition of Customer Service, I'd like to be able to report my experience with all banks, not be forced to pick one. The concept that people have just one bank account is getting more and more outdated
    Originally posted by colsten
    'Customer service' IMHO means how well the bank resolves any issues...let's face it, no bank is perfect and all of them will make c0ck-ups at some point including FD. You only have to deal with Barclay's Delhi call centre or HSBC's Manila one to realise how good FD are. Or god help you if you ever have to deal with Clydesdale's poorly trained branch staff. FD don't offer something amazing, its just that they do what a bank is supposed to do and if/when things go wrong, they put things right very quickly.
    Last edited by baby frogmella; 25-02-2015 at 2:34 PM.
    Abu not too scared about this. Abu have original Goldeneys game on N64 so no need download it. Abu now go to google this Ben Dover man as Abu hear he make many film and if he so good that he make James Bond Movie then Abu sit down later with the missus and children and we will download more Ben Dover film and watch them as big family together.
    • ~Brock~
    • By ~Brock~ 25th Feb 15, 2:44 PM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 1,519 Thanks
    ~Brock~
    Not sure if this goes against this MSE/First Direct 'love in', but as a Barclays customer of 26 years (the bottom ranked bank) I actually find their service absolutely first rate, and their internet and mobile banking facilities are phenomenally good.

Having said that, I've never been one for surveys - either participating in them or believing that their results mean anything.
    • GooliesOfFire
    • By GooliesOfFire 25th Feb 15, 3:09 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    GooliesOfFire
    I've been with Nationwide BS for years and cannot fault them.
    Also Norwich & Peterborough BS customer service was always very good.

I don't like banks, I have quite bad experiences with them, main offenders - Halifax, LloydsTSB, Santander. I'll stay with building societies, thanks.

What surprises me is the difference in results within same bank.
    First Direct (HSBC) 1st place
    HSBC 12th place with shocking result

EDIT: Ok, I was not entirely fair with my comment above. I've had quite good experience with Barclaycard. I've been with them for many years and never had any problems with them. Customer service in my case was good. I've got Barclaycard Simplicity 6.8% APR card with them and I'm very happy with it.
    Last edited by GooliesOfFire; 25-02-2015 at 3:18 PM.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 25th Feb 15, 3:23 PM
    • 9,451 Posts
    • 13,825 Thanks
    meer53
    Why are you surprised by the difference between HSBC and First Direct ? They operate as 2 completely separate banks.
    • baby frogmella
    • By baby frogmella 25th Feb 15, 3:26 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    baby frogmella
    What surprises me is the difference in results within same bank.
    First Direct (HSBC) 1st place
    HSBC 12th place with shocking result
    Originally posted by GooliesOfFire
    FD and HSBC are not the same bank, they are run as separate divisions even though FD is part of the HSBC group.

EDIT: meer53 beat me to it
    • GooliesOfFire
    • By GooliesOfFire 25th Feb 15, 3:51 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    GooliesOfFire
    Ok then. I thought it was the same bank.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 25th Feb 15, 4:02 PM
    • 2,125 Posts
    • 1,462 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    FD and HSBC are not the same bank, they are run as separate divisions even though FD is part of the HSBC group.
    Legally, they are the same bank. First Direct is run independently as a separate division of HSBC Bank plc, but it isn't registered as a separate limited company. On their website it says "first direct is a division of HSBC Bank plc."
    Last edited by EarthBoy; 25-02-2015 at 4:04 PM.
    • billbennett
    • By billbennett 25th Feb 15, 6:23 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    billbennett
    as a Barclays customer of 26 years (the bottom ranked bank) I actually find their service absolutely first rate
    Originally posted by ~Brock~
    Just you wait until they "modernise" your local branch. You'll have a load of machines that don't work, and one sad-looking guy wandering around with an iPad in the foyer, looking lost and trying not to make eye contact with anyone.
    In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
    • meer53
    • By meer53 25th Feb 15, 7:22 PM
    • 9,451 Posts
    • 13,825 Thanks
    meer53
    Legally, they are the same bank. First Direct is run independently as a separate division of HSBC Bank plc, but it isn't registered as a separate limited company. On their website it says "first direct is a division of HSBC Bank plc."
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    Different staff/management, different procedures, different products. Explains the difference in customer service.
    • Bloomberg
    • By Bloomberg 25th Feb 15, 7:37 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Bloomberg
    More than 90% of First Direct's current account customers rate its service as 'great', compared to 39% at Barclays...

Read the full story:

The best and worst banks: First Direct tops the table and Barclays gets the wooden spoon

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Originally posted by MSE Helen

I have heard some very good things from my sister and friends about First Direct. Their high rating doesn't really come as a surprise. What does surprise me is that Barclays has such a low satisfaction rate. I use them and have been very impressed with every part of their service. Their mobile and iPad apps are in my opinion first class. They have a lot of ultra modern branches and have always been very innovative. They seem to always be first off the mark with new products and ideas.

On their mobile app you can cancel lost and stolen cards as well as call them directly from the app without the need for further verification. They are also trialling a feature which enables customers to pay in cheques with their smartphones - very cutting edge. You can now also cancel direct debits from your mobile. In my opinion there hasn't been a great deal to complain about.
    Money is a wise mans religion
    • meer53
    • By meer53 25th Feb 15, 7:53 PM
    • 9,451 Posts
    • 13,825 Thanks
    meer53
    I have heard some very good things from my sister and friends about First Direct. Their high rating doesn't really come as a surprise. What does surprise me is that Barclays has such a low satisfaction rate. I use them and have been very impressed with every part of their service. Their mobile and iPad apps are in my opinion first class. They have a lot of ultra modern branches and have always been very innovative. They seem to always be first off the mark with new products and ideas.

On their mobile app you can cancel lost and stolen cards as well as call them directly from the app without the need for further verification. They are also trialling a feature which enables customers to pay in cheques with their smartphones - very cutting edge. You can now also cancel direct debits from your mobile. In my opinion there hasn't been a great deal to complain about.
    Originally posted by Bloomberg
    Maybe some people just prefer to speak to someone ? Not everyone likes to use mobiles for their banking.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

3,539Users online

Martin's Twitter