Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 27th Jan 15, 9:50 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Redress scheme announced for customers with card protection products
    • 27th Jan 15, 9:50 AM
    MSE News: Redress scheme announced for customers with card protection products 27th Jan 15 at 9:50 AM
    "Two million people who took out a Sentinel or similar card protection product may soon be able to claim redress..."

Read the full story:

Redress scheme announced for customers with card protection products

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 27th Jan 15, 1:58 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 27th Jan 15, 1:58 PM
    • 27th Jan 15, 1:58 PM
    I think CPP was OK 30 years ago.

For £25~£30 a year, you got a lost item return service.
    They sent me some stickers for key fobs etc.
    I should have stuck them on the umbrellas, which is the only thing I used to lose.

You could register all your cards with CPP, so you only need to remember one number to call. If you were overseas, that saves some money for a start. I did wonder why the card issuers would listen to CPP, though, since they are so particular about only speaking to the account holder.

I cancelled after a few years, but I don't think I was ripped off.
    • ChopperST
    • By ChopperST 28th Jan 15, 7:49 AM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    ChopperST
    • 28th Jan 15, 7:49 AM
    • 28th Jan 15, 7:49 AM
    I had this as part of my Lloyds TSB Gold account back in 2009. Will it be Lloyds (who I still bank with), TSB or AVA who write to me as I have moved several times since then.
    • palh
    • By palh 28th Jan 15, 10:27 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    palh
    • 28th Jan 15, 10:27 AM
    • 28th Jan 15, 10:27 AM
    I have had this protection since 2001 for the 'card security' element, to cover fraudulent use if my cards were lost or stolen.
    I now understand card issuers were responsible for fraudulent transactions and the product was therefore mis-sold.
    I will be contacting my original provider.

Canceled my Sentinel renewal as benefits are mostly covered in my household policy. I know there is an excess of £50 for most claims, but at £25 to £30 per year for Sentinel I will take the risk.
    Last edited by palh; 28-01-2015 at 12:31 PM.
    • billbennett
    • By billbennett 28th Jan 15, 12:10 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    billbennett
    • 28th Jan 15, 12:10 PM
    • 28th Jan 15, 12:10 PM
    I had this as part of my Lloyds TSB Gold account back in 2009. Will it be Lloyds (who I still bank with), TSB or AVA who write to me as I have moved several times since then.
    Originally posted by ChopperST
    From the full guide:

"It's worth noting the scheme will not cover those who have a card security product as a benefit within a bank account, or packaged bank account."

Maybe a letter directly to the bank is in order?
    In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
    • psionicman2000
    • By psionicman2000 31st Jan 15, 11:41 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    psionicman2000
    • 31st Jan 15, 11:41 PM
    • 31st Jan 15, 11:41 PM
    I took out a credit card 2 years ago with vanquis bank. I only used the card once then last summer they cancelled it cos i never used it. I don't know if I had CPP sold to it but would like to find out if it was and if so would I still be able to claim now that the card has been cancelled?
    • calvincamel
    • By calvincamel 3rd Feb 15, 12:09 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    calvincamel
    • 3rd Feb 15, 12:09 PM
    Dead claimant?
    • 3rd Feb 15, 12:09 PM
    Hi all
    This is probably as doubtful as the last one.

AI have contacted my late Mum. I'd love to pursue the Scheme and give the money to her favourite charities (Blue Cross, Breast Cancer, Hospice of the Valley, Food Bank) but I'm assuming any 'rights' died with her. Then again, this looks to be a voluntary!scheme, so perhaps the word of the law doesn't apply. No hang on this is the banks we're talking about, who am I kidding. Any excuse to wriggle out of paying up.

Am I right in thinking that her claim is expired?

david
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 3rd Feb 15, 1:45 PM
    • 7,395 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 3rd Feb 15, 1:45 PM
    • 3rd Feb 15, 1:45 PM
    Hi all
    This is probably as doubtful as the last one.

AI have contacted my late Mum. I'd love to pursue the Scheme and give the money to her favourite charities (Blue Cross, Breast Cancer, Hospice of the Valley, Food Bank) but I'm assuming any 'rights' died with her. Then again, this looks to be a voluntary!scheme, so perhaps the word of the law doesn't apply. No hang on this is the banks we're talking about, who am I kidding. Any excuse to wriggle out of paying up.

Am I right in thinking that her claim is expired?

david
    Originally posted by calvincamel
    No if you have probate and/or can prove you are the executer of the estate you can complain on her behalf
    • LibrisLycan
    • By LibrisLycan 5th Feb 15, 4:00 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LibrisLycan
    • 5th Feb 15, 4:00 PM
    • 5th Feb 15, 4:00 PM
    I've got the same problem as Calvincamel, I've just received a letter from them addressed to my late Dad, who died 3 years ago.
    I believe he threw away all his credit card statements, will I have to prove anything?

Will I be able to vote on my Dads behalf?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 5th Feb 15, 8:25 PM
    • 7,395 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I've got the same problem as Calvincamel, I've just received a letter from them addressed to my late Dad, who died 3 years ago.
    I believe he threw away all his credit card statements, will I have to prove anything?

Will I be able to vote on my Dads behalf?
    Originally posted by LibrisLycan
    They knew he had it hence writing to him, whoever has control over your father's estate can complain on his behalf
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,308Posts Today

5,385Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin