Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Jan 15, 10:52 AM
    • 66,306 Posts
    • 389,851 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 13th Jan 15, 10:52 AM
    • 13th Jan 15, 10:52 AM
    Is this real? I've never seen/used Sky - and have no desire to get it. I wouldn't even know what to get, what I needed, or how to use it.

I've got a freeview box attached to an old portable telly somebody lent me.
    • problemcashback
    • By problemcashback 13th Jan 15, 1:13 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    problemcashback
    • 13th Jan 15, 1:13 PM
    • 13th Jan 15, 1:13 PM
    Is this real? I've never seen/used Sky - and have no desire to get it. I wouldn't even know what to get, what I needed, or how to use it.

I've got a freeview box attached to an old portable telly somebody lent me.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

why wouldn't it be real, as you will know there are thousands and thousands of people on here who wont stop paying for Sky. Some people need a little encouragement so the article helped them. In the same way most people joined MSE, encouragement to fix their finances.

As you have an old portable then sky probably isn't for you.
    • Tropez
    • By Tropez 13th Jan 15, 5:01 PM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 11,789 Thanks
    Tropez
    • 13th Jan 15, 5:01 PM
    • 13th Jan 15, 5:01 PM
    I'm sure I could live without Sky. It isn't something necessary to my survival.

But I still like having it.
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 13th Jan 15, 8:25 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    VisionMan
    • 13th Jan 15, 8:25 PM
    • 13th Jan 15, 8:25 PM
    I had Sky for over 15 years but only had it for the football. I then realised I only watched 1 or 2 games a week for (back then) a whopping 64 a mth so I cancelled it. I missed the football but didn't miss Sky. Or the prices.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 13th Jan 15, 8:33 PM
    • 9,136 Posts
    • 16,911 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 13th Jan 15, 8:33 PM
    • 13th Jan 15, 8:33 PM
    I not had a tv for 13/14 years now and guess what I survived.

I do have a netflix sub and use the on demand players. But before that I use to listen to the radio all the time.

Yours

Calley
    • Twosheds
    • By Twosheds 14th Jan 15, 8:03 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 3,190 Thanks
    Twosheds
    • 14th Jan 15, 8:03 AM
    about time too!
    • 14th Jan 15, 8:03 AM
    I've been complaining for ages that mse doesn't mention freesat on its digital TV pages, so its good to see it's being discussed as a viable alternative at long last!
    • Bonus Abusing Baracus
    • By Bonus Abusing Baracus 14th Jan 15, 11:29 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Bonus Abusing Baracus
    • 14th Jan 15, 11:29 AM
    • 14th Jan 15, 11:29 AM
    "However, after a year of paying more than we wanted to for Sky, we decided to get a Freesat box for about 200."

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/faq/#3

if you already have a sky box/dish, you can get a 'freesat from sky' card for 25 which saves buying a new box. You may not even need this, I didn't but it's some years since I cancelled Sky briefly.
    I think you may lose recording & on demand functionality from a sky+ box; allegedly there are ways around this but I couldn't suggest/endorse any other than the 'pay sky 10 a month' option.

Disclaimer: I have worked for sky, but I still think this is potentially a good saving.
    • jorok
    • By jorok 14th Jan 15, 4:01 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    jorok
    • 14th Jan 15, 4:01 PM
    Pie in the Sky
    • 14th Jan 15, 4:01 PM
    Freeview offers the 5 main channels with virtually all the original programming available in UK. All the other Freeview channels are repeats of UK and American programmes as is most of Sky programs. Why pay Sky for repeats ? We won't.
    In addition when we cancelled Sky years ago we needed our bank to recover money from Sky continuing to take it incorrectly under Direct Debit, so we will never trust them again, even if they offered enough programs to be worth their fees.
    • sinizterguy
    • By sinizterguy 14th Jan 15, 4:03 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    sinizterguy
    Fantastic article.

Another that shouldn't even have been published unless you just like oversharing your life.
  • wiogs
    Freeview offers the 5 main channels with virtually all the original programming available in UK. All the other Freeview channels are repeats of UK and American programmes as is most of Sky programs. Why pay Sky for repeats ? We won't.
    In addition when we cancelled Sky years ago we needed our bank to recover money from Sky continuing to take it incorrectly under Direct Debit, so we will never trust them again, even if they offered enough programs to be worth their fees.
    Originally posted by jorok
    Wrong on both counts.
    • Tropez
    • By Tropez 14th Jan 15, 4:43 PM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 11,789 Thanks
    Tropez
    Freeview offers the 5 main channels with virtually all the original programming available in UK.
    Originally posted by jorok
    Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Penny Dreadful, Ray Donovan, The Newsroom, Falling Skies, The Borgias, The Following, True Detective, Blue Bloods, The Leftovers, Banshee... just a few reasonably popular programmes that were featured on channels not available on Freeview/Freesat before any other broadcast. Some of those shows have since appeared on FTA/terrestrial TV, or are available through other mediums, but not all.

Repeats aren't always bad either. I missed The Sopranos and The Wire during their original runs but Sky Atlantic and Sky On Demand has allowed me to catch up with them.

Yes, the same episode of OFAH trotted out for the 99th time this decade on GOLD really is quite pointless and grows old but Sky's output does have a lot going for it for me. I can appreciate that everyone has different tastes though.

Subscription TV is also the only way to watch the majority of live sporting events, unfortunately.
  • wiogs
    Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Penny Dreadful, Ray Donovan, The Newsroom, Falling Skies, The Borgias, The Following, True Detective, Blue Bloods, The Leftovers, Banshee... just a few reasonably popular programmes that were featured on channels not available on Freeview/Freesat before any other broadcast. Some of those shows have since appeared on FTA/terrestrial TV, or are available through other mediums, but not all.

Repeats aren't always bad either. I missed The Sopranos and The Wire during their original runs but Sky Atlantic and Sky On Demand has allowed me to catch up with them.

Yes, the same episode of OFAH trotted out for the 99th time this decade on GOLD really is quite pointless and grows old but Sky's output does have a lot going for it for me. I can appreciate that everyone has different tastes though.

Subscription TV is also the only way to watch the majority of live sporting events, unfortunately.
    Originally posted by Tropez
    Don't go spoiling the argument with facts!
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 14th Jan 15, 7:22 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    VisionMan
    Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Penny Dreadful, Ray Donovan, The Newsroom, Falling Skies, The Borgias, The Following, True Detective, Blue Bloods, The Leftovers, Banshee... just a few reasonably popular programmes that were featured on channels not available on Freeview/Freesat before any other broadcast.
    Of course they weren't, because Sky bought them.

Totally true and this is the only reason I had it. But with the explosion of internet TV providers, there are now other, cheaper platforms to watch sport on.

Sky's good for those that actually watch it, but its an established fact that 75% of the content consumed via subscription providers are free to air channels.
    • Tropez
    • By Tropez 14th Jan 15, 7:50 PM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 11,789 Thanks
    Tropez
    Of course they weren't, because Sky bought them.
    Originally posted by VisionMan
    Which was my point. The previous user had argued that "virtually all" original programming was available on the five main terrestrial channels. I don't doubt that there's a lot of original programming on those five channels, perhaps even a majority, nor do I doubt the statistic that a high proportion of programming consumed is on those channels or FTA alternatives but there's a substantial number of popular television programmes that are not available on those channels, or that only appear on those channels after a significant delay, because the first-run rights are held by channels only available via a Pay-TV subscription. Therefore, I question the "virtually all" statement that was made.

Totally true and this is the only reason I had it. But with the explosion of internet TV providers, there are now other, cheaper platforms to watch sport on.
    That may be the case, but aside from a handful of things, the only way to watch a lot of the sport that I watch, without resorting to iffy streams of questionable legality, is via Sky.

Sky's good for those that actually watch it, but its an established fact that 75% of the content consumed via subscription providers are free to air channels.
    I know, I've seen BARB's figures on the subject.

As I said above, I can appreciate people have different tastes.

Personally speaking, I watch very little that is broadcast on the FTA channels. I fully agree there is an awful amount of fluff channels on Sky that I have no interest in. Of the hundreds of channels that are available through Sky and that I have access too, there's a handful I watch regularly and a slightly larger number that I watch infrequently but I also probably watch some of those channels more in a month than I would watch the five main terrestrial channels in a whole year.

Of course I could live without Sky, which is why I'm on a discounted package because I don't believe the full price provides good value for money. The price I am paying though I do believe is reasonable for what I currently receive.
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 14th Jan 15, 8:58 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    VisionMan
    All fair and true comments you have made above, Tropez. And I agree with all of them. I believe its fair to say Sky is now TV for the affluent and not the masses. Sky via discount however, is the way to go and via such a route can provide serious value for money. And with the explosion of competition Sky now faces, these are interesting times....
    • Tropez
    • By Tropez 14th Jan 15, 9:09 PM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 11,789 Thanks
    Tropez
    All fair and true comments you have made above, Tropez. And I agree with all of them. I believe its fair to say Sky is now TV for the affluent and not the masses. Sky via discount however, is the way to go and via such a route can provide serious value for money. And with the explosion of competition Sky now faces, these are interesting times....
    Originally posted by VisionMan
    I agree with that. When I first subscribed to Sky it was 30 for everything but obviously with each year the subscription increases, there's all the extras and suddenly, if you're not careful, your bill could be coming close to 100 per month (and with phone and broadband possibly that or more!).

I hope to see the likes of Amazon and Netflix grow over time. Netflix UK is a relatively poor service at present in comparison to its US or Canadian counterpart but it has scored a couple of big wins in the movies arena, nabbing the first-run rights to The Hobbit and Hunger Games films before Sky Movies. The latter not really my cup of tea but it is definitely popular.

And Sky really should drop extra fees for HD. It's not even 1080p HD. When Amazon gives you HD on Prime for its basic fee, and Netflix does it at the second tier sub-level which is, I believe, 1 more expensive than it's basic tier, there's really no excuse for Sky to keep asking extra for HD other than greed.
    • cifpower
    • By cifpower 16th Jan 15, 12:52 PM
    • 6,448 Posts
    • 4,093 Thanks
    cifpower
    Anyone can live without Sky. I like it for easiness really. I watched quite a few channels (80% free though) but I like the freedom to browse the other channels, watch and record in HD and being able to watch them out and about on Sky Go. Not bad for 16.50 a month (half price for a year natch - would never pay full price)

• gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 18th Jan 15, 2:26 PM
    • 4,607 Posts
    • 11,736 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    we got a beagle and with the amount of walking one of those needs in the evening/weekend we found that by getting rid of Sky we could save ourselves 60+ a month.

What annoyed me though was when we cancelled we were bombarded with offers of discounts of up to 50% for a year.........its one of OH's pet hates as he feels that if they can afford to do this when he's leaving then why can't they do it at any other time
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 18th Jan 15, 2:35 PM
    • 7,598 Posts
    • 11,116 Thanks
    KxMx
    Now TV is well worth a look if you've got Sky that you don't use much but would miss if you got rid.

The list of programs not available on the Entertainment Pass gets smaller and smaller.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,347Posts Today

6,516Users online

Martin's Twitter