Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 9th Jan 15, 3:06 PM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: Self-assessment deadline looming don't miss the 31 January deadline
    • 9th Jan 15, 3:06 PM
    MSE News: Self-assessment deadline looming don't miss the 31 January deadline 9th Jan 15 at 3:06 PM
    "If you don't file your return by the end of this month, you'll get a hefty 100 fine and pay interest on any tax owed ..."

Read the full story:

Self-assessment deadline looming don't miss the 31 January deadline

Click reply below to discuss. If you havent already, join the forum to reply. If you arent sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • shortchanged
    • By shortchanged 9th Jan 15, 5:39 PM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    shortchanged
    • 9th Jan 15, 5:39 PM
    • 9th Jan 15, 5:39 PM
    Well if my experience is anything to go by, good luck anyone trying to get tax reference number now. I applied for one online back in October and still haven't received one! Several phonecalls have acheived nothing.

I'm sorry to say but HMRC is out of its depth now.

It's all well and good HMRC threatening fines for late submissions when they can't even give you a simple number which you need in order to proceed. Ridiculous really. If my case is anything to go by no wonder tax revenues are down in the UK.
    Why are we here?......................because we are not all there.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 9th Jan 15, 7:49 PM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 7,304 Thanks
    Spidernick
    • 9th Jan 15, 7:49 PM
    • 9th Jan 15, 7:49 PM
    I presume you mean the Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) needed for on-line filing? Why did you wait so long to apply for this? Presumably you registered then due to the news in the media around the Child Benefit claw back?

If HMRC did not send you a tax return until October, then you may be able to paper file this month without penalty, but you'd need to check that. Better to keep chasing for the UTR perhaps, as on-line filing is so much easier.

Also bear in mind that, in addition to getting the UTR, you will also need to register for on-line filing via the HMRC Portal separately. When you register you will then be sent a code to use in the post (you cannot do anything until you receive this), so with just over three weeks to go until the deadline, you should factor this in and get your skates on!
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • shortchanged
    • By shortchanged 9th Jan 15, 8:40 PM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    shortchanged
    • 9th Jan 15, 8:40 PM
    • 9th Jan 15, 8:40 PM
    I presume you mean the Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) needed for on-line filing? Why did you wait so long to apply for this? Presumably you registered then due to the news in the media around the Child Benefit claw back?

If HMRC did not send you a tax return until October, then you may be able to paper file this month without penalty, but you'd need to check that. Better to keep chasing for the UTR perhaps, as on-line filing is so much easier.

Also bear in mind that, in addition to getting the UTR, you will also need to register for on-line filing via the HMRC Portal separately. When you register you will then be sent a code to use in the post (you cannot do anything until you receive this), so with just over three weeks to go until the deadline, you should factor this in and get your skates on!
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    No my registering then has nothing to do with child benefit.

I have already registered with the government portal months ago.

How can I get my skates on? I'm waiting for a number from HMRC that I cannot proceed any further without. I've been waiting months for it and nobody at HMRC seems able to be able to sort it out. So don't worry I will not be paying any fine as a late return would not be my fault.

I wonder if anyone else has had the same problem I've had?
    Last edited by shortchanged; 09-01-2015 at 8:47 PM.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 9th Jan 15, 9:39 PM
    • 6,196 Posts
    • 5,634 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 9th Jan 15, 9:39 PM
    • 9th Jan 15, 9:39 PM
    .... I'm waiting for a number from HMRC that I cannot proceed any further without....
    Originally posted by shortchanged
    if not the UTR, then what number?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • Make-it-3
    • By Make-it-3 9th Jan 15, 10:42 PM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 7,040 Thanks
    Make-it-3
    • 9th Jan 15, 10:42 PM
    • 9th Jan 15, 10:42 PM
    Think OP does mean UTR.

When he says registered with the portal I think it means registering for self assessment. Then you get your UTR, then you can get your gateway key and then you can do your return.

OP, this happened to my OH last tax year. Registered in August and took till December to get UTR. They did give him extra time to file, but then tried to fine him regardless saying that although he had extra time to file he should have still have paid his dues by 31 Jan (talk about putting the cart before the horse). Had to take to appeal to get them to see sense.

Hope you have kept the original email then sent when you registered as you will need this to prove you applied for UTR in good time.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
    • afmfifgh
    • By afmfifgh 10th Jan 15, 12:25 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    afmfifgh
    • 10th Jan 15, 12:25 PM
    • 10th Jan 15, 12:25 PM
    A family member of mine had interest on savings, paid gross and as their only income, in the 2012/13 tax year that was a little over the tax free allowance.

This had been missed by the family member so we contacted HMRC as it was about 40 in tax from memory that was due and no self assessment form had been submitted or tax paid.

When the error was noted in March this year we rang up HMRC and HMRC said that as it was such a small amount they wouldn't be pursuing it and told us to make notes of the call and they would do the same and they would be kept on file incase of future need/issues.

HMRC then said that if they earn over 10,000 in gross interest next tax year, 2013/14 then they would need to complete a self assessment form as tax would be due. But as this wasn't going to be the case HMRC said that it wasn't necessary to fill out a SA form. Though the family member was going to earn over 2,500 in gross interest.

However, upon reading the MSE story this thread relates to, it states "You have income from savings or investments that hasn't been taxed and is 2,500 or more (bank account interest is usually taxed automatically)" then you should contact HMRC to complete a SA tax return.

Have the rules changed? Were we told incorrectly by HMRC in March? What should we do now? Obviously they haven't registered for anything as they didn't think they needed to. Will they be fined?

Any advice would be most welcome as there isn't long to rectify the situation before the deadline.
    • shortchanged
    • By shortchanged 10th Jan 15, 12:49 PM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    shortchanged
    • 10th Jan 15, 12:49 PM
    • 10th Jan 15, 12:49 PM
    if not the UTR, then what number?
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    I have never received my activation code.
    • 100saving
    • By 100saving 10th Jan 15, 12:59 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    100saving
    • 10th Jan 15, 12:59 PM
    • 10th Jan 15, 12:59 PM
    Hello,
    Can someone help me out, I got my first BTL property in July 2014 and started renting it in August 2014 for 925 a month.
    When should I start paying Tax on the profit?
    At the moment all the profit which is about 400 a month sits in a bank account I have just for the BTL property.
    Age: 24 / London/Ireland / Salary 49,000 / 1 London BTL (8% yield) / Total savings pot 12k+
    Lloyds Club CA 5,000 @4% / FD Regular Saver 3,600 @6% (12 of 12) / TSB Classic CA 2,000 @5%
    Clydesdale Direct CA 1,000 @2% / Santander ISA 700 @0.5% / Premium Bonds - 100
    Halifax Reward CA (5 per month) / Santander 1|2|3 CC (cashback)
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 10th Jan 15, 1:54 PM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 7,304 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Hello,
    Can someone help me out, I got my first BTL property in July 2014 and started renting it in August 2014 for 925 a month.
    When should I start paying Tax on the profit?
    At the moment all the profit which is about 400 a month sits in a bank account I have just for the BTL property.
    Originally posted by 100saving
    Well, that's the 14/15 year, so you'll need to register for Self Assessment for that year, if you haven't already and complete the 14/15 return by 31 January 2016 (assuming you e-file) and pay the 14/15 tax due by then as well.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • quietriot
    • By quietriot 10th Jan 15, 2:01 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    quietriot
    HMRC then said that if they earn over 10,000 in gross interest next tax year, 2013/14 then they would need to complete a self assessment form as tax would be due. But as this wasn't going to be the case HMRC said that it wasn't necessary to fill out a SA form. Though the family member was going to earn over 2,500 in gross interest.

However, upon reading the MSE story this thread relates to, it states "You have income from savings or investments that hasn't been taxed and is 2,500 or more (bank account interest is usually taxed automatically)" then you should contact HMRC to complete a SA tax return.
    Originally posted by afmfifgh
    HMRC policy is that you'll have to complete a self assessment return if you have more than 2500 untaxed interest, or if the taxed interest is more than 10,000 gross.
    • afmfifgh
    • By afmfifgh 10th Jan 15, 2:07 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    afmfifgh
    HMRC policy is that you'll have to complete a self assessment return if you have more than 2500 untaxed interest, or if the taxed interest is more than 10,000 gross.
    Originally posted by quietriot
    Thanks for that - does it make any difference that we were told in March that it would only need to be done if the interest was more than 10,000.

I am wondering if there was confusion in that they perhaps meant if there was more than 10,000 taxed interest as opposed to untaxed interest.

Would there still be time to get all the registration and forms submitted now before the 31st January deadline?

Also what are the chance of a fine applying for not registering by the October cut off? Hopefully they would let them off it as we did ring in March and were told we thought that there was no need to submit one.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 12th Jan 15, 9:27 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    You can pay the tax and send a letter or e-mail.
    Assuming you have proof that you applied for a Gateway account, I don't see how HMRC can fine you.
    • afmfifgh
    • By afmfifgh 12th Jan 15, 10:31 AM
    • 261 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    afmfifgh
    A word of warning - don't call the phone number in the MSE news article!

It is actually for the online help desk and they can't advise on your tax as I just found out having been in the queue for 30 minutes!

I was told I would need to call 0300 200 33 00

• afmfifgh
    • By afmfifgh 12th Jan 15, 12:33 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    afmfifgh
    For anyone that is interested we have just got off the phone to HMRC (after finally calling the correct number and again being in the queue for another 30mins) and pleased to say they confirmed that the advice previously given by HMRC was correct and that no self assessment tax form was required to be done despite the fact that over 2,500 of untaxed interest had been paid to her as the total was below the personal allowance and it was the only income. Had there been employment of any kind they would need to be contacted as a self assessment tax return would most likely be needed even if the total income (savings + employment income) was below the personal allowance.

They also confirmed that if they were below the allowance for 2014/15 they would again not need to complete a self assessment tax form for that tax year if the income was only from savings interest.

We also recorded the conversation on a dictaphone so there is something to refer back to in the future should the need arise.

That is a weight lifted of her shoulders once more. Though I wish they would make it clearer on their website about who is and who is not required to complete a self assessment form as it would save people a lot of time, stress and worry!
    Last edited by afmfifgh; 12-01-2015 at 12:36 PM.
    • shortchanged
    • By shortchanged 12th Jan 15, 1:09 PM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    shortchanged
    You can pay the tax and send a letter or e-mail.
    Assuming you have proof that you applied for a Gateway account, I don't see how HMRC can fine you.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    Yes i have the proof of applying for the gateway account. The mad thing is i will not actually be due to pay any tax but by law i have to put a return in.
    • beansy
    • By beansy 12th Jan 15, 8:14 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    beansy
    Think OP does mean UTR.

When he says registered with the portal I think it means registering for self assessment. Then you get your UTR, then you can get your gateway key and then you can do your return.

OP, this happened to my OH last tax year. Registered in August and took till December to get UTR. They did give him extra time to file, but then tried to fine him regardless saying that although he had extra time to file he should have still have paid his dues by 31 Jan (talk about putting the cart before the horse). Had to take to appeal to get them to see sense.

Hope you have kept the original email then sent when you registered as you will need this to prove you applied for UTR in good time.
    Originally posted by Make-it-3

This is indeed very confusing!!

Following a recommendation by the Job Centre last year for my son to go self employed he registered online for a UTR number and he received the following information from:

https:/online.hmrc.gov.uk/registration/newbusiness/confirmation?reg=pcznf8ZJaVI... (info taken from the bottom of the page he was advised to print out)
    Create a Government Gateway account.
    Note user ID
    Your Government Gageway account has been created.
    Your User ID is: .......
    Important note:
    You must make a note of this User ID. For security reasons you will be asked to enter the User ID again before you submit the registration. You will also need it every time you log in to use HM Revenue & Customs online services along with your password.
    HMRC recommend you print a copy of this information using the print facility on your browser, as it will not be displayed again, nor will you receive written confirmation of it.
    Click the 'next' button to continue with your registration.

He has successfully logged onto the HMRC website using this ID and his password but there is no access to the self assessment form or details and he doesn't have a clue what he needs to do and by the time he gets home from work and tries to contact them, after holding on a number of times in excess of 60 mins he still hasn't managed to get to speak to anyone for some help/advice before they close at 8 pm!

I tried to get some help on his behalf this afternoon but came off the phone more confused than when I started. The advisor was really helpful but limited in what she could tell me as it was not my account but she did say that there are different User ID's for different parts of the service and he may not be logging into the correct area as there are different login services? She suggested that he either tries to verify himself online using his passport or driving license then he can submit his tax return, or go to the login page and try one of the following:
    Lost user ID
    Lost password option or
    Lost both options

We are conscious time is running out and he is wondering whether to pay for an accountant to help but a) I am not sure if this would make any difference and b) we are only looking at the period between 26 Feb 2014 - 5 April 2014 as he only became SE from 26 Feb 2014.
    He is in the Construction Industry and next years is probably going to be more complicated as he was SE for a short period from the beginning of the 2014/15 tax yeard, then with an Umbrellla employment agency for all but approx 6 wks or so.

Sorry this is quite long but can anyone offer some help or advice on the best way to take this forward please, besides trying to get through to the HMRC advisors?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by beansy; 12-01-2015 at 8:27 PM.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 12th Jan 15, 11:48 PM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 2,062 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    Originally posted by quietriot
    This is indeed HMRC policy but legally you only need to notify HMRC if you owe tax so if you have more than 2500 in untaxed interest but its less than whatever unused personal allowance you've got (e.g. All of it if you're unemployed) you don't need to bother informing HMRC.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 13th Jan 15, 1:24 AM
    • 6,196 Posts
    • 5,634 Thanks
    mgdavid
    Beansy, try this link
    https://www.gov.uk/how-to-send-self-assessment-online/use-the-free-self-assessment-online-service-
    then find the hotlink ' Log in and file your return'

This gives you another login screen where you put the UTR and Password in.
    If it works, open another tab, repeat and bookmark the first link in this post!
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • beansy
    • By beansy 13th Jan 15, 6:00 AM
    • 407 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    beansy
    Beansy, try this link
    https://www.gov.uk/how-to-send-self-assessment-online/use-the-free-self-assessment-online-service-
    then find the hotlink ' Log in and file your return'

This gives you another login screen where you put the UTR and Password in.
    If it works, open another tab, repeat and bookmark the first link in this post!
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    Thank you mgdavid, will give it a go after work tonight and hope for the best.

Will post the outcome later.]
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,237Posts Today

5,565Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin