Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 8th Jan 15, 2:02 PM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: TalkTalk to take over Tesco broadband and home phone customers
    • 8th Jan 15, 2:02 PM
    MSE News: TalkTalk to take over Tesco broadband and home phone customers 8th Jan 15 at 2:02 PM
    "Tesco broadband and homephone customers will be moved to TalkTalk over the coming months, while it now owns Blinkbox ..."

Read the full story:

TalkTalk to take over Tesco broadband and home phone customers

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
  • skirkpatrick
    • 8th Jan 15, 3:04 PM
    • 8th Jan 15, 3:04 PM
    I've already received my email from Blinkbox telling me they're now part of the TalkTalk family... and a reasonable FAQ. Apparently they're going to continue with the Clubcard points, but I can't see that lasting long term.

It'd be really good if they maintain the ability to download purchases - it's the one feature that sets them apart from other providers as they're almost all identical on price.
    • brightonman123
    • By brightonman123 8th Jan 15, 4:54 PM
    • 8,338 Posts
    • 48,512 Thanks
    brightonman123
    • 8th Jan 15, 4:54 PM
    • 8th Jan 15, 4:54 PM
    their info page says if you move away, cancel charges still apply? isn't a change of ISP a major change to a contract, allowing opt outs?
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 8th Jan 15, 8:21 PM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 2,652 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 8th Jan 15, 8:21 PM
    • 8th Jan 15, 8:21 PM
    their info page says if you move away, cancel charges still apply? isn't a change of ISP a major change to a contract, allowing opt outs?
    Originally posted by brightonman123
    Only if they change the contract. If the service remains exactly the same, and at the same price, then nothing has changed except the name.
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 8th Jan 15, 8:40 PM
    • 10,103 Posts
    • 3,007 Thanks
    chanz4
    • 8th Jan 15, 8:40 PM
    • 8th Jan 15, 8:40 PM
    If they don't give the free broadband which is the perk for Tesco bank customers, I will term. Mind you would never have talktalk, as when used to work for bt anovo they were crap
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 8th Jan 15, 8:43 PM
    • 10,103 Posts
    • 3,007 Thanks
    chanz4
    • 8th Jan 15, 8:43 PM
    • 8th Jan 15, 8:43 PM
    I wonder if they will sell Tesco mobile, was going to upgrade tom
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 9th Jan 15, 2:43 AM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    • 9th Jan 15, 2:43 AM
    • 9th Jan 15, 2:43 AM
    Originally posted by chanz4
    Unlike a fixed price for a broadband service, Tesco can make more money out of the telephone service as people tend to chat longer on a mobile, hence more income.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 9th Jan 15, 8:55 AM
    • 6,057 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    • 9th Jan 15, 8:55 AM
    • 9th Jan 15, 8:55 AM
    I've read they are remaining committed to Tesco Mobile. Probably one of the only things that is making them money currently.
    • problemcashback
    • By problemcashback 9th Jan 15, 9:02 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    problemcashback
    • 9th Jan 15, 9:02 AM
    • 9th Jan 15, 9:02 AM
    I am wondering what will happen to the bought copies of movies on blinkbox if they ever decide to close it down
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 9th Jan 15, 10:07 AM
    • 817 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    jon81uk
    I've already received my email from Blinkbox telling me they're now part of the TalkTalk family... and a reasonable FAQ. Apparently they're going to continue with the Clubcard points, but I can't see that lasting long term.

It'd be really good if they maintain the ability to download purchases - it's the one feature that sets them apart from other providers as they're almost all identical on price.
    Originally posted by skirkpatrick
    iTunes is probably the only other major one where the focus is on downloadable copies rather than streaming.
    • cw18
    • By cw18 9th Jan 15, 5:15 PM
    • 8,099 Posts
    • 86,275 Thanks
    cw18
    Originally posted by chanz4
    I've read they are remaining committed to Tesco Mobile. Probably one of the only things that is making them money currently.
    Originally posted by Gordon Hose
    Bit torn on this one.

I have a Tesco Mobile contract, which I'm tied to until March 2016. I'm actually having problems with major time lag on text messages between my OH and myself every couple of weeks (no-one else - need to check if he's the only person I text regularly on the network he uses), and I know it's not the handset (second suggestion from Tesco - after they put all the blame onto his network/handset and said the solution would be for him to request a replacement SIM) as I've been with them almost 3 years and changed handset (totally different make which also required a SIM change) almost a year ago. So in some respects I'd like to get away from the Tesco/O2 network to see if that solves the problem,

But I have my home phone and broadband with TalkTalk, and (whilst rarely having had a problem in the 7 years I've been with them) have intentionally kept my mobile with a different provider so that the chances of losing everything at once is as small as possible..

Not sure who Tesco would sell their mobile network out to though, given they piggy-back on O2?
    Cheryl
    • cw18
    • By cw18 9th Jan 15, 5:31 PM
    • 8,099 Posts
    • 86,275 Thanks
    cw18
    As a Talk Talk customer on their most basic package (no TV as I don't have a licence, and no included calls as I don't rack up £5 in call charges over a year!) I'm a little worried about the number of new accounts they're gaining between the Virgin Media and Tesco acquisitions.

I have a niggling feeling that they may no longer have any need of those of us on this type of account, and will push us back onto a higher priced contract (I only downgraded a year ago) by whatever means they can - such as regular increases in costs until it's the same as the next one up (which I think is still an extra £5/month)

I'm expecting them to start trying to hard sell me extras via regular phone calls from next month. When I dropped the level of my contract I had to sign up for a minimum of 12 months - and that's up around the middle of February. I've previously had fortnightly calls from them when I've not been tied in, and had they not always been the cheapest option for me I'd have told them to stop phoning unless they wanted to lose me as a customer (a threat I don't suppose would work anyway with all these new accounts rolling in!). I got very good at cutting them short as soon as they introduced themselves
    Cheryl
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 10th Jan 15, 3:29 PM
    • 3,708 Posts
    • 8,232 Thanks
    Spidernick
    My sympathies to any Tesco broadband/phone customers out there. I cannot begin to tell you just how appalling Talk Talk is as soon as anything goes wrong. They are absolutely shocking and I wouldn't go back with them if their service was free!
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • archery
    • By archery 10th Jan 15, 3:36 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    archery
    My sympathies to any Tesco broadband/phone customers out there. I cannot begin to tell you just how appalling Talk Talk is as soon as anything goes wrong. They are absolutely shocking and I wouldn't go back with them if their service was free!
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    Totally agree, was with talk talk about two years ago. Never again. Glad I am already moving from tesco to plusnet.
    Practising Scrooge and stingy old miser.
  • Collabora
    Not sure who Tesco would sell their mobile network out to though, given they piggy-back on O2?
    Originally posted by cw18
    If they do i don't think it will be o2 as Three are after taking over o2 as Telefonica are trying to sell off the remaining part of o2.
    • Humbug40
    • By Humbug40 10th Jan 15, 4:54 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Humbug40
    I am a Tesco broadband customer I left TalkTalk 12 months ago but I moved house recently so restarted a new contract I don't want to go to TalkTalk��
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 11th Jan 15, 9:45 AM
    • 5,819 Posts
    • 2,625 Thanks
    brewerdave
    The thing I can't understand about TalkTalk gaining all these new customers is that about 12 months ago, their Chief Exec. was talking about them getting rid of their non LLU customers themselves !!!
    • cw18
    • By cw18 11th Jan 15, 10:51 AM
    • 8,099 Posts
    • 86,275 Thanks
    cw18
    probably showing my ignorance here - LLU?

EDIT: Have just had a flash on inspiration.

Land Line Users? As in those who don't have fibre for their internet?

Some of us don't have a choice.

We were told fibre would be available last April, but it didn't happen. A new junction box appeared at the start of the summer, but it remained taped up until late September. But there must be problems at the exchange, as having gone to 'accepting orders' at one point, it's back at 'coming soon, no orders yet being taken' status. Doing checks around providers confirms we can't yet get from anyone, and TT don't have a clue (or won't tell me) when it may be available.

Personally I don't want it (can't justify the extra cost for what I use it for), but DS1 does a lot of gaming and nags about it regularly. He's been told that if I upgrade, then the difference in the montly bill is getting added to his charge for keep
    Last edited by cw18; 11-01-2015 at 11:30 AM.
    Cheryl
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Jan 15, 11:47 AM
    • 21,815 Posts
    • 16,028 Thanks
    molerat
    Local Loop Unbundling - not using the BT infrastructure to the exchange but their own cables. From the exchange to home is generally via BT though.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • cw18
    • By cw18 11th Jan 15, 11:50 AM
    • 8,099 Posts
    • 86,275 Thanks
    cw18
    Wouldn't have a clue whose infrastructure I'm on. Is there any way of telling?
    But I'm guessing that's something else I have absolutely no control over?

EDIT: OH pointed me to a website that can find out - it appears I am LLU, so one less thing to worry about
    Last edited by cw18; 11-01-2015 at 12:41 PM.
    Cheryl
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,808Posts Today

9,063Users online

Martin's Twitter