Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 5th Jan 15, 1:44 PM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: One in nine worried they can't pay for housing costs after Xmas
    • 5th Jan 15, 1:44 PM
    MSE News: One in nine worried they can't pay for housing costs after Xmas 5th Jan 15 at 1:44 PM
    "More than 3 million people fear they'll miss their rent or mortgage payments this month following the cost of Xmas ..."

Read the full story:

One in nine worried they can't pay for housing costs after Xmas

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 5th Jan 15, 2:19 PM
    • 51,709 Posts
    • 21,932 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 5th Jan 15, 2:19 PM
    • 5th Jan 15, 2:19 PM
    Katharine says: "I work every hour I can to support my family. But each month I wonder if I'm going to able to make my rent, and I'm expecting things to be especially bad after Christmas – even though we cut back on spending as much as we could."
    by Shelter
    It would be nice to clarify why she expected this.

After reading the article I don't understand what Christmas has to do with this. Is it that things just generally keep getting worse - despite the government claiming that they are getting better?

If it was the reckless spending to blame, then I don't understand why this wasn't clearly addressed in the article.
    Last edited by grumbler; 05-01-2015 at 2:27 PM.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 5th Jan 15, 2:21 PM
    • 3,275 Posts
    • 4,582 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 5th Jan 15, 2:21 PM
    • 5th Jan 15, 2:21 PM
    You can only spend it want's !
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 5th Jan 15, 2:32 PM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 1,118 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 5th Jan 15, 2:32 PM
    • 5th Jan 15, 2:32 PM
    Well the article says Katherine's work hours are unpredictable which probably means zero hour contract and works in a shop/restaurant/hotel. Generally after Xmas, these firms cut back hours to the bone as nobody is spending extra money.

A couple of years ago, my son had no hours for 6 weeks in the period prior to Easter as the hotel who "employed" him (on a zero hour contract) had few clients so slashed the staff hours to zero for the majority.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 5th Jan 15, 3:06 PM
    • 10,298 Posts
    • 9,483 Thanks
    colsten
    • 5th Jan 15, 3:06 PM
    • 5th Jan 15, 3:06 PM
    I am sure that there will be people who have zero hours related downs but would think the vast majority of people with new money problems after Christmas have them because they spent money they didn't have. The relentless advertising and media hype (special deals, nonsense such as Black Friday, huge food piles in supermarkets etc) will put many people under psychological pressure to buy stuff they neither need nor can afford.

It would be nice to see Charities and journalists helping people before Christmas by telling them it is alright not buy stacks of presents, to ignore Black Friday and other special offers, to just eat normally rather than feast, and to only spend money that has been saved up for the special occasion.
    • WestonDave
    • By WestonDave 5th Jan 15, 3:34 PM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 8,521 Thanks
    WestonDave
    • 5th Jan 15, 3:34 PM
    • 5th Jan 15, 3:34 PM
    Thing is, if you ask 1000 people whether they fear they might not be able to make their mortgage/rent payments, those that respond with a yes will be a mix of those who know they have insufficient funds, those who might not make it, and those that almost certainly will be able to pay but always fear the worst.

I'm sure we get these surveys every so often from Shelter, which always seem to come up with cataclismic projections, except that doomsday never actually comes.
    Adventure before Dementia!
    • sinizterguy
    • By sinizterguy 5th Jan 15, 3:36 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    sinizterguy
    • 5th Jan 15, 3:36 PM
    • 5th Jan 15, 3:36 PM
    If you have no extra money to spend, but can just manage every month .... Why choose to make Christmas more expensive ?

Their own fault.
  • zennith
    • 5th Jan 15, 3:49 PM
    • 5th Jan 15, 3:49 PM
    I was worrying about housing costs and bills BEFORE Xmas!

I had a Very Meagre Christmas!

I'm still worrying!

One can't over spend if one doesn't have the money/access to it!!
    • AlwaysLearnin
    • By AlwaysLearnin 5th Jan 15, 5:44 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    AlwaysLearnin
    • 5th Jan 15, 5:44 PM
    • 5th Jan 15, 5:44 PM
    One can't over spend if one doesn't have the money/access to it!!
    Originally posted by zennith
    and yet some people still do...
    • Catriona_P
    • By Catriona_P 6th Jan 15, 8:44 AM
    • 800 Posts
    • 4,707 Thanks
    Catriona_P
    I usually end up worrying after Christmas because I get paid a week early in December (I think most people do?). It just means having to stretch wages an extra week in January. If you're struggling to make ends meet, that extra week can be a problem regardless of how much you've spent at Christmas.

But then I have the added problem of my child's birthday being in January. If I'd had known beforehand...
    "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 6th Jan 15, 10:02 AM
    • 10,130 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    pmduk
    I'm in the same boat as zennith
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 6th Jan 15, 11:14 AM
    • 51,709 Posts
    • 21,932 Thanks
    grumbler
    I usually end up worrying after Christmas because I get paid a week early in December (I think most people do?). It just means having to stretch wages an extra week in January.
    Originally posted by Catriona_P
    I don't get it.
    If you got paid earlier, then you should have had more money left from the previous salary that had to cover the 'extra' week.
    Last edited by grumbler; 06-01-2015 at 7:34 PM.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 6th Jan 15, 11:17 AM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    lee111s
    Why don't people learn to budget? If you know you always struggle at christmas, put away £50 a month starting now. Then spend as you would at christmas (Dare I say spend less?) and then come January you can use your £600 of Savings to ensure that the month of January is not rough.

People come out with the same every year but never attempt to make it easier for themselves.
    • anoncol
    • By anoncol 6th Jan 15, 11:40 AM
    • 969 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    anoncol
    I usually end up worrying after Christmas because I get paid a week early in December (I think most people do?). It just means having to stretch wages an extra week in January. If you're struggling to make ends meet, that extra week can be a problem regardless of how much you've spent at Christmas.

But then I have the added problem of my child's birthday being in January. If I'd had known beforehand...
    Originally posted by Catriona_P
    I have people at work that day that but it doesn't make sense. They seem to have to spend the money just because it's in their account then they run out in the 6 week Jan salary.
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 6th Jan 15, 4:38 PM
    • 8,472 Posts
    • 50,025 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    This isn't really news.

When I worked in the mortgage arrears department of a large lender it was commonplace for people to go into arrears in January.

This was 20-30 years ago
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • Broadwood
    • By Broadwood 6th Jan 15, 7:13 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    Broadwood
    Pen notebook calculator and willpower. Plus save a bit during the good times for a rainy day. I've been on a zero-hours contract for 7 years so I work all the shifts going during November & December because I know it will be quiet in January. I budget on a yearly basis not weekly or even monthly. Budgeting is a bit like the water industry. If they didn't build reservoirs to store water our taps would run dry in summer. Barclays look after my spare cash for free.
    Last edited by Broadwood; 06-01-2015 at 7:26 PM.
    Never trust a financial institution.

Still studying at the University of Life.
    • Joe_Bloggs
    • By Joe_Bloggs 6th Jan 15, 8:25 PM
    • 4,485 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    Joe_Bloggs
    Thirteen months ago I was very MSE and got myself a Nationwide 15 month 0% free for purchases credit card. I splurged on a season ticket to work. I splurged on a largish smart TV and modest PC computer built from components.

Time moves on and I have paid latest season ticket with a different card that offers 1% cash back, This must be paid within a month to avoid interest that more than cancels the cash-back . I am dipping into savings accounts paying 3% before tax to pay for this so it hurts my impression of being wealthier than I thought I was before I did the sums and realized it was just borrowed money.

You may disagree.
    J_B.
    Last edited by Joe_Bloggs; 06-01-2015 at 8:29 PM.
    • Catriona_P
    • By Catriona_P 7th Jan 15, 9:10 AM
    • 800 Posts
    • 4,707 Thanks
    Catriona_P
    You're assuming that people don't spend anything on Christmas - outlays are not the same even if you're spending money you do 'have' and not on credit cards. If you don't buy anybody presents, or buy a tree, or xmas day food etc etc then yes the extra week wouldn't make a blind bit of difference but that's not the reality. So of course that extra week makes a difference.
    "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Jan 15, 9:19 AM
    • 10,130 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    pmduk
    This isn't really news.
    Originally posted by Goldiegirl
    Ah but UK journalists - ie not just MSE - always treat press releases as hot breaking news.
  • jjlandlord
    BREAKING NEWS: Exclusive analysis by leading expert

The examples in the articles have very little to do, if anything at all, with Christmas.
    Another sensational title to attract the punters...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

880Posts Today

5,754Users online

Martin's Twitter