Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    anguk
    Salton Yogurt maker
    • 5th Jul 05, 2:14 PM
    Salton Yogurt maker 5th Jul 05 at 2:14 PM
    After reading all the yogurt making posts I fancied having a go but was a bit wary about buying a yogurt maker just to have it sitting in a cupboard.
    Anyway I found one in a bric-a-brac shop for 2.50! It's an old Salton 5 pot maker, it's a bit bashed and a "lovely" orange and brown colour but I've cleaned it up and switched it on and it does seem to work.

Problem is I haven't got any instructions!! Can anyone help? Also one of the pot lids is missing and 2 others are damaged, would I be able to just cover them with tinfoil?

Thanks
Page 1
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 5th Jul 05, 2:17 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 5th Jul 05, 2:17 PM
    • 5th Jul 05, 2:17 PM
    You are in luck! this came up around 10 days ago, I have the instruction leaflet and offered to photocopy it and mail it to anyone who wants it.

I'll go and find the thread....THIS IS IT

as far as the missing lids go I think that foil is worth a try

Last edited by apprentice tycoon; 05-07-2005 at 2:21 PM.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    • 5th Jul 05, 3:07 PM
    • 5th Jul 05, 3:07 PM
    You may be able to find small glasses or jars which fit the holes. They don't get as warm as washing up water so there isn't a problem with them having to be heat resistant.

In case I didn't mention it in the yoghurt making thread I'm now using Lidl's probiotic yoghurt as my starter, together with a couple of tablespoons of dried milk. (if your using full cream rather than semi-skimmed milk you may not need the extra powder for thickening). I started with a vanilla one but the vanilla flavour could still be tasted in the new batch but Lidl's have got fruit and probiotic yoghurts on offer at the moment. The fruits at the bottom so you can just use two tablespoons of the plain probiotic yoghurt from the top to start a new batch of home made.

The probiotic yogs are supposed to be better for your immune system as they use a variety of beneficial yoghurt cultures rather than a single culture.
  • anguk
    • 5th Jul 05, 3:19 PM
    • 5th Jul 05, 3:19 PM
    Thanks guys, I think I'll pick up some powdered milk tomorrow because I've only got skimmed UHT milk. Plus it's a bit late to start it off now as I want to be close by the first time I make it just incase something goes wrong!
    I've got some Onken natural bio yogurt so I'll try that as the starter and I'll see if the tinfoil works.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 6th Jul 05, 7:50 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 6th Jul 05, 7:50 PM
    adaptable cheesecake recipe
    • 6th Jul 05, 7:50 PM
    Because I had been making yogurt for a while I decided to use some for a cheesecake, I had strained a batch for 4 hours until it was like Philadephia then followed my normal cheesecake recipe, it was just perfect and so cheap in comparison to the Phily.

This recipe is a very flexible one that has a number of variations, it will take all flavours easily

This amount makes one 8" or two 6" foil dishes (these are a similar size to bought cheesecakes)

This is the basic recipe that you can add flavours to

3 oz butter, melted
    5 oz crushed digestives
    12 oz philadelphia or yogurt cheese
    3 oz castor sugar
    juice of half a lemon
    2 tabs of cold water
    1 sachet of gelatine
    1/4 pt double cream whipped but not stiff

mix the butter and biscuits together and press into your flan tin (if it has a removable base it's easier to serve) the base of a tumbler is fine for this, chill

beat the cheese and sugar together, add the lemon juice

put the water into a small bowl, sprinkle over the gelatine and leave to soak for a minute or so until it's spongy then heat gently to melt (either in a pan of hot water or in the microwave but only for 2 or 3 second bursts) cool slightly

add the gelatine to the cheese mixture

fold in the cream

pour into the case and chill

this freezes perfectly if made with Phily, I haven't tried one with frozen yogurt yet

The variations I use are as below, these flavours are added after the the cheese and sugar are mixed

lemon or orange - add the finely grated zest of either and the juice of one piece of fruit

rum and raisin - soak 2 tablespoons of raisin in 2 tablespoons of rum until the rum has all been absorbed, add after the the cheese and sugar are mixed

Baileys - add 3 tabspns of Baileys and 1 teaspn of very strong black coffee

Christmas fruit - 5 oz of dried fruit including cherries, soak in brandy or rum overnight, add a little mixed spice and orange rind

chocolate mint - add a drop or two of peppermint essence and some broken after eight mints
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 9th Jul 05, 8:57 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    larmy16
    • 9th Jul 05, 8:57 PM
    • 9th Jul 05, 8:57 PM
    I have three lids going spare, though one has a split in it but still works. Is this the one that has the opaque glass jars? If you would like them e mail me at thegratewun@lycos.com. wont cost much to send you so you are welcome if you want them.

Actually these hideously coloured yoghurt makers are considered to be worth 15 as 70s collectibles!!!

I have just looked and two of the lids have splits, but a bit of duct tape would solve that problem.
    I was so lucky the other day I got a yoghurt maker in a charity shop for a fiver. Its a Kenwood one and is more tasteful in appearance! Six clear glass jars with screw on white lids.
    Last edited by larmy16; 09-07-2005 at 9:03 PM.
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 9th Jul 05, 9:13 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    larmy16
    • 9th Jul 05, 9:13 PM
    • 9th Jul 05, 9:13 PM
    This is what you do with the Salton yog maker.

Boil one pint of milk (full fat creamier yog, semi skim - less so). To this add 1 tbs dried milk. Boil couple mins. Set aside. When you can dip your finger in comfortably its ready.

Put 1 tbs greek yog must be live,(or what you like) in a jug, pour over milk and stir.

Divide between the jars. Hope this helps.
    Dont leave longer than six hours as it goes a bit sour.
    Last edited by larmy16; 09-07-2005 at 9:15 PM.
  • anguk
    • 10th Jul 05, 12:27 AM
    • 10th Jul 05, 12:27 AM
    If I use UHT milk will I still have to boil it?
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 10th Jul 05, 5:12 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 10th Jul 05, 5:12 AM
    • 10th Jul 05, 5:12 AM
    If I use UHT milk will I still have to boil it?
    by anguk
    No, there's no need to boil UHT, the reason you have to boil pasturised milk is that there are bugs in there that are harmless to us but they will harm the yogurt bacteria and stop it working
    • MATH
    • By MATH 10th Jul 05, 3:07 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    I'm planning to scour a few car-boots and flea markets over then summer and will be very tempted if I come across a 70's orange 'n' brown classic. Can some of you experienced answer a couple of questions.

1. Is the yogurt nice and sweet and creamy or does it make you drawer ya buttocks in?

2. Can you freeze and defrost it or does it split and go yucky?

3. If say I'd got three greedy piggies for children and had to but 40+ yoghurts a week is it feasable to make this much each week or would it be like having two jobs?

Thanks for any help
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 10th Jul 05, 3:19 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    Math, it's a delight to eat! the work involved is about 10 mins per batch, that includes washing up - really - that's all. So even if you are making it every day it really isn't a problem.
    I don't think that it will freeze well (I have made yogurt cheese, that's when you strain it until it looks like Philadelphia, and made wonderful cheesecakes out of it, these freeze well, the recipe is on the recipe thread)
    I'm sure that you will find a yogurt maker at the boot sales, just last week I found the Lakeland bulk electric yogurt maker (19.99 at Lakeland, this makes 1 litre at a time) for just 2.00 so now I have a Bel 6 pot machine, the Lakeland bulk machine and the tried and trusty wide mouth flask. I favour the bulk makers over the 6 cup one because I always strain it to make Greek-type yog.
  • anguk
    More help needed please!

I've followed the instructions and tried to make my first batch and it's all gone wrong! It seems as though it's separated for some reason, it's hardly thickened and there's a yellow coloured liquid on the top. I tried giving it a stir but it's now got the same smell, texture and look of watered down baby sick!

Where have I gone wrong?
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 10th Jul 05, 5:31 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    More help needed please!

I've followed the instructions and tried to make my first batch and it's all gone wrong! It seems as though it's separated for some reason, it's hardly thickened and there's a yellow coloured liquid on the top. I tried giving it a stir but it's now got the same smell, texture and look of watered down baby sick!

Where have I gone wrong?
    by anguk
    The yellow liquid is whey, you can strain this off if you don't want to stir it in BUT if it didn't thicken then you must have another snag. Did you use UHT with powdered milk? did you leave it long enough, did you keep peeping?

edit...I was wondering if the temperature was warm enough, maybe what you have is just curdled milk rather then yogurt.
    Last edited by apprentice tycoon; 10-07-2005 at 5:40 PM.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    First are you sure the yoghurt you used as a starter was "live" not all are. I've had trouble with "set" yoghurts as well so stay clear or those. If you choose a starter which say Bio or Probiotic it's probably live.

Next danger point is putting the starter in before the milk is cool enough. Or if you are starting with UHT getting it too hot and not waiting till it has cooled down sufficiently. If you are going to do it on a daily/twice weekly basis it's worth investing in a Yoghurt thermometer which tells you when the milk is exactly the right temperature.

When I do mine (mines a kenwood not salton but it's on the same little jar principle) I put the jars in the base and switch it on before I do anything else. I heat the milk in the microwave till it gets to the right temperature or if I'm sterilising it to 82-88, then wait till it cools down to exactly the mark on the yoghurt termometer.

I then mix the starter with a little of the warm milk and beat/stir it well before mixing it in. Then I fill up the jars, put the lid on a leave for about 4hrs. It may be you left your's too long. Especially when the weather is warm it finishes quite quickly so check it after a 3hrs by taking the lid off and giving one of the jars a wobble. You'll be able to tell if it's nearly done. If it looks solid then switch it off and put the jars in the fridge.

Because it's a live culture growing, rather than a cooking process it will continue to firm up as the jars cool down.
    As I'm on a permanent low dose antibiotic I have yoghurt every day so am making it every other day. It really isn't a faff if you work it in with having breakfast and washing up.
  • anguk
    I used Onken Natural Biopot, it says made with biocultures? I also used UHT milk straight out of the carton with some powdered milk, I didn't heat it up. I did peep into one of the jars once when it had been going for 4 hours but it hadn't thickened at all, all together it's had 6 hours.

The yoghurt maker is an old 70's one that I picked up from the bric-a-brac shop so maybe it isn't working properly. The jars did get warm though.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    I also used UHT milk straight out of the carton with some powdered milk, I didn't heat it up.
    by anguk
    I hope you warmed it though, to the point where you can barely dip your finger in and leave it there while counting to ten. The milk has got to be hot enough to sting 106-109F or 41-43C this is when you add the starter to the milk.
    If the milk is cooler or hotter than this the yoghurt is likely to fail.
    I find about 5 minutes in the microwave is needed for a litre of UHT.
    You should be all right with Onken. I'm sure I've used it successfully in the past.
    Last edited by Ted_Hutchinson; 10-07-2005 at 6:08 PM.
  • anguk
    I hope you warmed it though, to the point where you can barely dip your finger in and leave it there while counting to ten. The milk has got to be hot enough to sting 106-109F or 41-43C this is when you add the starter to the milk.
    by Ted_Hutchinson
    Oooops!
    I didn't heat the milk up, I didn't think I need to if I used UHT.

Oh well I'll have another go tomorrow with warm milk.
    • MATH
    • By MATH 10th Jul 05, 7:19 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    Math, it's a delight to eat! the work involved is about 10 mins per batch, that includes washing up - really - that's all. So even if you are making it every day it really isn't a problem.
    I don't think that it will freeze well (I have made yogurt cheese, that's when you strain it until it looks like Philadelphia, and made wonderful cheesecakes out of it, these freeze well, the recipe is on the recipe thread)
    I'm sure that you will find a yogurt maker at the boot sales, just last week I found the Lakeland bulk electric yogurt maker (19.99 at Lakeland, this makes 1 litre at a time) for just 2.00 so now I have a Bel 6 pot machine, the Lakeland bulk machine and the tried and trusty wide mouth flask. I favour the bulk makers over the 6 cup one because I always strain it to make Greek-type yog.
    by apprentice tycoon
    Thanks for that, you've got me seriously tempted now. I like the idea of a machine that makes say 1ltr in one pot so I can then decant for the kidz lunch boxes. I saw some cheapo 'tupperware U like' down the market which had two sections. I'm thinking Yoghurt in one and honey nut hoops/ coco pops in tuther for HM Muller Crunch Corners.

Lincolnshire car booters you've been warned. I'm out there and I'm on a mission
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 10th Jul 05, 7:47 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    Ted - I didn't think that you had to heat the milk if you are using a heated jar machine?

Anguk - stupid question, I know - did the machine come with a lid?
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted - I didn't think that you had to heat the milk if you are using a heated jar machine?
    by apprentice tycoon
    Well the instructions on my Kenwood version tell you to and it's always worked for me. They are very low wattage and I think they are only designed to keep the yoghurt at an even temperature while it's yogging.
    Interestingly the instructions say that skimmed milk yoghurts take 6hrs while full cream only 4hrs.
    I'm very surprised I still have the original instructions, but I must admit I don't follow them to the letter. I only use a couple of tablespoons of starter but the instructions say use a whole jar of yoghurt. They also tell you to make sure everything you use is sterilised before you start. I don't do this either but as I'm making a new lot every other day the jars won't have had long out of the dishwasher.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,417Posts Today

7,411Users online

Martin's Twitter