Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 22nd Dec 14, 8:34 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: How to tell when a brand promotion is a glitch or gaffe
    • 22nd Dec 14, 8:34 AM
    MSE News: How to tell when a brand promotion is a glitch or gaffe 22nd Dec 14 at 8:34 AM
    "Jeremy Stern, managing director of PromoVeritas, makes sure brands like Cadbury and Pringles run their promotions fairly..."

Read the full story:

Guest Comment: How to tell when a brand promotion is a glitch or gaffe

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 23-12-2014 at 4:00 PM.
Page 1
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 22nd Dec 14, 8:50 AM
    • 40,227 Posts
    • 309,637 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 22nd Dec 14, 8:50 AM
    • 22nd Dec 14, 8:50 AM
    Despite paying out more than £1.4 million, its actions got Walkers into trouble with the ASA following complaints from angry customers who lost out on potential winnings
    I am sure Walkers were quaking in their boots when they were told don't do it again.

The promotion must not appear again in its current form.
    http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2011/3/Walkers-Snack-Foods-Ltd/TF_ADJ_49869.aspx#.VJfnzsgM8
    • Biker*Chick
    • By Biker*Chick 22nd Dec 14, 9:36 AM
    • 9,729 Posts
    • 1,131,349 Thanks
    Biker*Chick
    • 22nd Dec 14, 9:36 AM
    • 22nd Dec 14, 9:36 AM
    An interesting read...but I was shocked by the following paragraph. I must be more naive than I thought! It amazes me that people will go to such desperate lengths to win At least, in this case, the entrant/s were disqualified

Caution is also required during the life of the promotion – one of our clients ran a promotion to win a 40 inch TV every day. We soon noticed that one household had entered nearly 500 times, again by using slight variations of email addresses and the house number – ie, 2b, 2c, etc.

A quick look at Google Maps revealed it to be a tiny terraced house in Hounslow – not home to hundreds. Because of our terms, which clarified the 'one entry per household' rule, these entries were disqualified and the prize awarded to the next randomly drawn entrant.
    Contessa Biker*Chick of the Alphabetty thread

=^._.^=
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 22nd Dec 14, 10:10 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 22nd Dec 14, 10:10 AM
    • 22nd Dec 14, 10:10 AM
    I blame e-mail. In the old days, you had to put a stamp on the postcard, so you wouldn't send in 500 entries.

It's so easy to weed out multiple entries automatically.
    You pick a winner, and search for the same postcode,
    and maybe the telephone number as well.
    • fordred
    • By fordred 22nd Dec 14, 10:19 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    fordred
    • 22nd Dec 14, 10:19 AM
    • 22nd Dec 14, 10:19 AM
    So what about MSE's Seek Santa from last year? Do you think that was fairly administered?
    • Dreaming_of_Kubera
    • By Dreaming_of_Kubera 22nd Dec 14, 11:28 AM
    • 739 Posts
    • 5,612 Thanks
    Dreaming_of_Kubera
    • 22nd Dec 14, 11:28 AM
    • 22nd Dec 14, 11:28 AM
    Wow, I feel for the person who entered that many times.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 22nd Dec 14, 1:13 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 22nd Dec 14, 1:13 PM
    • 22nd Dec 14, 1:13 PM
    Wow, I feel for the person who entered that many times.
    Originally posted by Dreaming_of_Kubera

Not that I have done it, but Apple Mac has a tool called Automator, which records your actions as a macro, so it's possible to do it automatically. The counter measure is the skewed letters thing, naturally.

I don't think anybody would be silly enough to do it manually 500 times. Or is there?
    • cootuk
    • By cootuk 22nd Dec 14, 4:34 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    cootuk
    • 22nd Dec 14, 4:34 PM
    • 22nd Dec 14, 4:34 PM
    I guess there are people that hunt out the comps where the T&C state one entry per email address rather than per household, then swamp the system with auto-emailed entries.

Didn't another Coke promotion of win £££ hourly get swamped with an auto-emailer, the Coke tried to backpedal on the T&C?
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 23rd Dec 14, 10:19 AM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 1,118 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 23rd Dec 14, 10:19 AM
    • 23rd Dec 14, 10:19 AM
    Why has this article vanished from the MSE News pages and the link from MSE Helen no longer valid?
    • Rahven
    • By Rahven 23rd Dec 14, 10:42 AM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 92,617 Thanks
    Rahven
    Intrigue! Maybe it's that black hole that has been striking us recently?
    Gamer and saver
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 23rd Dec 14, 11:55 AM
    • 40,227 Posts
    • 309,637 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Still available on a google cached link at the moment

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:mREvxxzgpdsJ:www.moneysavingexpert. com/news/shopping/2014/12/guest-comment-when-brand-promotions-go-wrong-is-it-all-good+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 23rd Dec 14, 3:20 PM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    Apologies for the broken link - we had to take the piece down this morning. It is now live on the site again:

Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 23-12-2014 at 3:59 PM.
    • canterswest
    • By canterswest 24th Dec 14, 6:26 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    canterswest
    I did not read the original version, if it was changed. Tesco's accounting problems are apparently linked to a sick promotions relationship between suppliers, retailer and customer that has spiralled out of control. Promoting so called free pizzas attracts the gullible and creates an opportunity for a few business to business suppliers like affiliate websites and promotion consultants to make money, putting the price up ultimately for customers. MSE was very slow to promote free pizzas. Numerous other affiliate websites advertised it weeks before, including one that produced an in store video in Morrisons. Shortly after, the affiliate's Facebook business imploded into unprofessional bickering between competing affiliates and reportedly a visit to a police station to report false allegations. Taxpayers paid for the police time.

Tesco's former CEO thought affiliates were god. He was so wrong and I am with Dave Lewis sweeping it all away, taking out the layers of non-essential business to business costs that add no real customer value.
  • Johnball
    The textbook example of mishap is surely Hoover. Some years ago, they offered free flight to USA if you bought one of their cheap models, much cheaper than than flight value. Thousands took it up, many never got flight, Hoover UK collapsed and that lovely building on the A40 passed to Tesco.
  • mileslondoner
    This article is simply an advertisement for PromoVeritas.

"My job is to make sure..."

"...all of this could have been prevented had Pepsi used verification experts such as ourselves..."

I did not learn anything new from this article and would not mind it on the homepage if it was written in form of analysis of the most spectacular promotions going wrong. Since it is an advertisement - the name of the company is mentioned and the writer encourages to complain on social media or by writing to managing director (instead of using a standard complaint procedure first) I find it dishonest and feel there is a sense of manipulation and arrogance to it.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 26th Dec 14, 12:04 PM
    • 40,227 Posts
    • 309,637 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Wonder why the title was changed from "when brand promotions go wrong is it all good?"
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 26th Dec 14, 12:33 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    Miele does standard warranty, five year and ten year warranties in rotation all the time. The one thing that they NEVER do is ten year warranty on washer/dryers. So imagine my surprise when the John Lewis website flashed up a ten year warranty about eight years ago.

I knew it had to be a gaffe, so printed the web page, and tried to order in store on the same day. The sales lady couldn't get the ten year warranty in store, but did confirm the website said ten years. I then phoned them up, and got the call centre rep to confirm the ten year warranty verbally, and ordered it. The next day, the website was corrected to five year warranty. Naturally, only a five year warranty leaflet turned up, so I had to haggle with them and eventually got £100 off.

Given the choice, I would have preferred the ten year warranty, though, but Miele simply did not offer ten year warranty on washer/dryers, even if John Lewis paid for it.

Hollow victory really, because I'm a fan of John Lewis.
    I would much rather take money from a slimy insurance company with exclusion clauses and claim excesses so they never pay out. No chance there.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 28th Dec 14, 6:03 PM
    • 10,310 Posts
    • 9,487 Thanks
    colsten
    One particular family entered over 11,000 times and won lots of times, simply by using hundreds of fake email addresses and taking advantage of a loophole in the terms and conditions that didn't limit entries. Fraud – because that is what it is – on this scale meant that thousands of legitimate and honest entrants lost out on the opportunity to win.
    Which laws did the particular family break to make it fraud? Exploiting the written T&Cs, as long as these T&Cs were lawful, does not amount to committing fraud.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,206Posts Today

5,943Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Are you secretly trying to tell us Geri is going to take over? Will she tell us what we want, what we really reall? https://t.co/MOxa0jzPD7

• Follow Martin