Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 17th Dec 14, 1:30 PM
    • 8,657Posts
    • 28,827Thanks
    fairy lights
    Christmas TV
    • 17th Dec 14, 1:30 PM
    Christmas TV 17th Dec 14 at 1:30 PM
    I had a read through the Radio Times last night to see what's on over Christmas and thought it all looks pretty disappointing.
    The Doctor Who Christmas special is the only thing I'm really looking forward too, there seem to be a lot of repeats on and I couldn't even spot any decent films.
    Can anyone recommend anything that looks good that I've missed?
    I was looking forward to spending a few days off my face on toblerone in front of the TV but looks like I might have to make other plans!
Page 1
  • zennith
    • 17th Dec 14, 1:33 PM
    • 17th Dec 14, 1:33 PM
    I've not got a magazine - but i have looked online at the 5 Main channels listings for Eve, Day and Boxing....

Doctor Who is the only thing worth watching!
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 17th Dec 14, 1:35 PM
    • 15,094 Posts
    • 58,231 Thanks
    joansgirl
    • 17th Dec 14, 1:35 PM
    • 17th Dec 14, 1:35 PM
    Telly is rubbish this year. Downton special, midwife special, Dr Who. The 2 best films, Frozen and the Lego movie are on Sky
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 17th Dec 14, 2:15 PM
    • 8,657 Posts
    • 28,827 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 17th Dec 14, 2:15 PM
    • 17th Dec 14, 2:15 PM
    I used to love Downton Abbey but my OH hates it so I haven't watched it in ages, probably not since the first series
    Do you think I'd still enjoy the Christmas episode or would too much have changed for me to know what was going on?
    • Flick216
    • By Flick216 17th Dec 14, 2:22 PM
    • 8,466 Posts
    • 34,208 Thanks
    Flick216
    • 17th Dec 14, 2:22 PM
    • 17th Dec 14, 2:22 PM
    Dr Who and Downton - that's all I am interested in!
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots

Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast
  • zennith
    • 17th Dec 14, 2:36 PM
    • 17th Dec 14, 2:36 PM
    As my Grandma used to say ''There's nowt on telly, real let down!''.
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Dec 14, 2:38 PM
    • 61,883 Posts
    • 124,626 Thanks
    torbrex
    • 17th Dec 14, 2:38 PM
    • 17th Dec 14, 2:38 PM
    2 films that I like are on
    Sneakers and Unforgiven
  • j.e.j.
    • 17th Dec 14, 2:39 PM
    • 17th Dec 14, 2:39 PM
    No, I don't think there's anything on worth watching. For once the radio doesn't seem to have much to offer, either, which is a shame, given that on Xmas day the buses and trains don't run so it's not like I can go out anywhere or go visiting. Meh.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 17th Dec 14, 3:12 PM
    • 8,657 Posts
    • 28,827 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 17th Dec 14, 3:12 PM
    • 17th Dec 14, 3:12 PM
    Oh well, might have to get the Monopoly board out instead...
    • Flick216
    • By Flick216 17th Dec 14, 3:14 PM
    • 8,466 Posts
    • 34,208 Thanks
    Flick216
    Oh well, might have to get the Monopoly board out instead...
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    I bought Yahtzee recently. Forgot how good it is! We made it harder by playing each round in turn. As in, you have to start with 1's then 2's etc!
    ENFP - Assertive

• fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 17th Dec 14, 3:16 PM
    • 8,657 Posts
    • 28,827 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I don't think I've ever played Yahtzee! Is that a general knowledge type game?
    I have bought a box of chocolate trivial persuit but don't know how much it will get played before it gets eaten
    • Flick216
    • By Flick216 17th Dec 14, 3:24 PM
    • 8,466 Posts
    • 34,208 Thanks
    Flick216
    I don't think I've ever played Yahtzee! Is that a general knowledge type game?
    I have bought a box of chocolate trivial persuit but don't know how much it will get played before it gets eaten
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-00950-Yahtzee-Classic/dp/B00000IWH6

It's a dice game where you have to try and score the most. Great fun!
    ENFP - Assertive

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 17th Dec 14, 3:35 PM
    • 8,214 Posts
    • 18,575 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I have had a quick look at the TV times and pinpointed a few things I want to watch. Definitely Downton and Call the Midwife. I expect Dr Who will be a fave and Miranda and Mrs Browns Boys are also on. Also really looking forward to the third series of Last Tango which starts on 28 December.

A friend of mine has said watch or record The Bishops Wife on 22nd, an oldie with David Niven so may do that.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Dec 14, 3:37 PM
    • 61,883 Posts
    • 124,626 Thanks
    torbrex
    The Bishop's Wife is a very clever film and Cary Grant is brilliant in it
    • Kernow666
    • By Kernow666 17th Dec 14, 3:42 PM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    Kernow666
    the BBC & ITV assume everyone likes DR Who , Downton Abbey , Mrs Browns Boys , Eastenders & Coronation street
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
    • moomoomama27
    • By moomoomama27 17th Dec 14, 5:43 PM
    • 3,546 Posts
    • 7,871 Thanks
    moomoomama27
    I thought it looked quote good!

I'm looking forward to;

Dowton
    Call the midwife
    Derek Christmas special
    Miranda and lots more!
    • Nile
    • By Nile 17th Dec 14, 5:47 PM
    • 14,384 Posts
    • 14,349 Thanks
    Nile
    I have had a quick look at the TV times and pinpointed a few things I want to watch. Definitely Downton and Call the Midwife. I expect Dr Who will be a fave and Miranda and Mrs Browns Boys are also on. Also really looking forward to the third series of Last Tango which starts on 28 December.

A friend of mine has said watch or record The Bishops Wife on 22nd, an oldie with David Niven so may do that.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    The Bishop's Wife is a very clever film and Cary Grant is brilliant in it
    Originally posted by torbrex

I don't think I've seen it. On your recommendation, I'll watch it.

These are some of the programmes I'm looking forward to:

Celebrity Mastermind (7pm Mon 22 Dec) because Ken Dodd is in it. I'm a fan of him and haven't seen him on tv much recently.

Julie Walters: A Life on Screen (9.30pm Christmas Eve). I'm a big fan and would love to see her honoured and become Dame Julie Walters.

Christmas Day: Call the Midwife and Downton Abbey. I remember a time when BBC and ITV would deliberately clash their big Christmas shows............so it's great that it isn't happening.

Last Tango in Halifax (9pm Sun 28 Dec), a new series starts.

House of Fools Christmas Special (10pm Sun 28 Dec).

Darcey Bussell's Looking for Audrey (10.30pm Mon 29 Dec), exploring the work and private life of Audrey Hepburn.

Merry Christmas
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 17th Dec 14, 6:24 PM
    • 6,266 Posts
    • 20,556 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Not really looked but for me I shall be watching:
    Dr Who
    Top Gear (2 part)
    Mrs Browns Boys.

Provided that I look and see when they are all on. I don't finish work till the 24th.

Edit: Just seen there is a not going out special on christmas eve so i will watch that too.
    Last edited by indesisiv; 17-12-2014 at 6:28 PM.
    • BarryBlue
    • By BarryBlue 17th Dec 14, 7:05 PM
    • 3,461 Posts
    • 11,573 Thanks
    BarryBlue
    The whole of Christmas Day looks like a complete TV write-off. We don't watch Downton, which is on for 2 hours. Don't bother with soaps and anything with Miranda Bloody Hart is a certain no-no. That leaves various repeats, third rate films and miscellaneous rubbish.

We did forsee this situation though. We have been stockpiling various films and series on Sky+ for when the drivel kicks in. For example, we have the whole series of Peaky Blinders and a 2-parter on Houdini to watch. Good old Sky+!
    We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night
    • ciderwithrosie
    • By ciderwithrosie 17th Dec 14, 9:40 PM
    • 3,554 Posts
    • 8,878 Thanks
    ciderwithrosie
    The only three things I've earmarked so far are 'Release the Hounds' celebrity special tomorrow night, 'Masterchef the Professionals' final (Sven to win!) and 'Stella' Christmas special on Monday. After that, I don't know.
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

74Posts Today

2,221Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • 10 ways you should act now to beat April bill shocks - council tax UP, stamp prices UP, TV licence UP, energy bills? https://t.co/WiOWiogCCA

• I have a confession to make... I think I now prefer Young Sheldon to The Big Bang Theory (or at least to the recent series). Am I alone?

• RT @TDHPhotography: Thank you @MartinSLewis After seeing your show on Council tax exemption for severe mental disorders, after a brief batt?

• Follow Martin