Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 4th Dec 14, 10:13 AM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: British Gas fined £11 million after failing to meet energy efficient target
    • 4th Dec 14, 10:13 AM
    MSE News: British Gas fined £11 million after failing to meet energy efficient target 4th Dec 14 at 10:13 AM
    British Gas has been ordered to pay £11 million to charity after an Ofgem investigation found it failed energy targets...

Read the full story:

British Gas fined £11 million after failing to meet energy efficient targets

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Smiley Dan
    • By Smiley Dan 4th Dec 14, 10:20 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Smiley Dan
    • 4th Dec 14, 10:20 AM
    • 4th Dec 14, 10:20 AM
    Great, more money paid to lawyers.

The energy companies should not be bound to aiming for energy efficiencies - it's contradictory to their business model.

Instead, their business should be destroyed by government funding nationwide investment in energy efficiency in domestic and commercial properties, going beyond the !!!!ing in the wind measures like CWI and a bit of loft insulation.

Why must government confuse everything? Play them at their own game.
    • Aquamania
    • By Aquamania 4th Dec 14, 10:25 AM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    Aquamania
    • 4th Dec 14, 10:25 AM
    British Gas fined £11 million after failing to meet energy efficient targets

About 6 million customers at the last count, so that's about £2 each

I'd prefer to nominate a charity of my own choice if I was being forced to make such a donation.

But I think charity begins at home, so maybe a better solution would have been to force BG to give a £2 rebate to every one of their customers, and maybe then invite them to donate such rebate to charity.
    Last edited by Aquamania; 04-12-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 4th Dec 14, 10:25 AM
    • 6,339 Posts
    • 2,898 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Not to worry, British Gas will just up their prices for their customers to cover the fine. Then the rest of the energy co's will fallow suit as they don't want to miss out on extra cash either.

Just like when Network Rail get fined for delays, it is the end user who ultimately pays the bill when the fares go up.
    • Antispam
    • By Antispam 4th Dec 14, 10:29 AM
    • 3,935 Posts
    • 3,466 Thanks
    Antispam
    • 4th Dec 14, 10:29 AM
    • 4th Dec 14, 10:29 AM
    Fines should be levied at the bosses not the customers as said its customers that always ultimately pay. Another good reason to leave any of these cartels
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 4th Dec 14, 11:20 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 4th Dec 14, 11:20 AM
    • 4th Dec 14, 11:20 AM
    What did the charities do to deserve the money?
    Their directors get £100k+ remuneration, running a marketing campaign with paid salesmen, sending charity muggers onto the streets like Fagin, and operate call centres to harass old ladies into paying up.

If you ran a tiny charity with no name recognition, and don't have lunch with utility executives, how are you going to get a penny?

Give the money to George Osborne, to reduce the national debt.
    They can always re-allocate it for building energy infrastructure, or the NHS.
    • Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    • By Bluebirdman of Alcathays 4th Dec 14, 12:31 PM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    • 4th Dec 14, 12:31 PM
    • 4th Dec 14, 12:31 PM
    What did the charities do to deserve the money?
    Their directors get £100k+ remuneration, running a marketing campaign with paid salesmen, sending charity muggers onto the streets like Fagin, and operate call centres to harass old ladies into paying up.

If you ran a tiny charity with no name recognition, and don't have lunch with utility executives, how are you going to get a penny?

Give the money to George Osborne, to reduce the national debt.
    They can always re-allocate it for building energy infrastructure, or the NHS.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    Post of the year.

BG would doubtless choose to donate their money to a fake charity like OXFAM, whose head office is conveniently right next door to BG's brand spanking new Oxford locale.

Trebles all round!
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 4th Dec 14, 4:19 PM
    • 10,855 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 4th Dec 14, 4:19 PM
    • 4th Dec 14, 4:19 PM
    Why should resellers of energy be made responsible for the upkeep and insulation of peoples houses? Whos houses are they? The mortgagees/landlords/owners or BGs? Is this more taxpayers money being squandered for insulation and new boilers for the supposed poor, paid for by ordinary hard working people so that they ,the poor, can warm their collective backsides whilst the rest of the working populace who obviously are entitled to jack s***e ,have to watch their bills and lower their roomstats?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • keishadog
    • 11th Dec 14, 7:56 PM
    british gas and others failled again
    • 11th Dec 14, 7:56 PM
    quite right that british gas should be fined as these arevery important issues that people in need are crying out for like myself, I have been trying with my neighbour to get cavity wall insulation put in for the last 7 years, I have had all sorts of energy people out telling us we will get it put in then they say we have some still in or you cant put the new stuff on top of it , then you can put it on top or 99.9% you will get it put in this week then nothing , then guess what after all the hype with british gas they turn up on Tuesday after booking it on this website months ago when you highlighted it and they told me the men will be out on the 8th of dec to fill the walls well guess again they sent a man out and he said we had some even though it was done by the council in 1986 , but he is not the one that has to stay and sleep in a frozen room because when we got double glazing put in 9 years ago we could see right up along the cavities of the walls and there was no insulation there, but all of these companies just say you have some there , but just having some there is not good enough to heat the house so would say its a big con with a lot of these companies just to get the money
    • Smiley Dan
    • By Smiley Dan 12th Dec 14, 9:54 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Smiley Dan
    You need to find a proper company that will do a borescope survey. Ignore BG if they won't. You can find them here: http://www.bbacerts.co.uk/product-approval/agrement-certificates/#search

Every single CWI installer I have called to my property has done a borescope survey. I've had about five companies visit. If you live near Sheffield I can suggest a good installer.

Click the "any" next to "scheme" and choose CWI, then search. Also enter your postcode.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

66Posts Today

2,128Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin