Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Rebecca
    • By Former MSE Rebecca 2nd Dec 14, 10:29 AM
    • 113Posts
    • 96Thanks
    Former MSE Rebecca
    MSE guide discussion - 'Piggybacking' and which network provides your mobile service
    • 2nd Dec 14, 10:29 AM
    MSE guide discussion - 'Piggybacking' and which network provides your mobile service 2nd Dec 14 at 10:29 AM

Hi all,

We've written a new guide to piggybacking and which network really providers your mobile service and we'd love your feedback.

Thanks,

MSE Rebecca
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Dec 14, 12:16 PM
    • 39,618 Posts
    • 163,771 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 3rd Dec 14, 12:16 PM
    • 3rd Dec 14, 12:16 PM
    Good article.

Should add that a danger, particularly with the minnows, is that should they go bust you could lose anything you have paid up front for and risk temporarily losing your number.
    • lean&mean
    • By lean&mean 3rd Dec 14, 8:45 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    lean&mean
    • 3rd Dec 14, 8:45 PM
    Piggybacking and some more suggestions
    • 3rd Dec 14, 8:45 PM
    Really interesting article. I didn't realise BT used EE, which makes me think the chances of them bidding for EE rather than O2 is now higher, so they didn't have to migrate existing customers over to a new network.

Couple of suggestions: if your signal is poor, there's also the option of using a 'signal box' at home, which the network might give you free (otherwise £100-150). It plugs in to your broadband router and establishes a mini 'network mast' in your home. Your phone won't notice the difference. EE, T-Mobile and Orange may offer them free to customers if you are a decent spender with them and you can use any other EE piggybacking phone with the box, like Virgin. Vodafone (called Sure Signal) and Three (Home Signal) have one as do O2 (Boost Box - but you have to be a business user with O2, and each phone number has to be registered, so no piggybacking users can access it). Talk to your network about the issue.

The other provider I would add to the list is MobiData. Like GlobalGig they are data only and use the Three network. In fact they are linked to GlobalGig, but MobiData is for UK use, whereas GlobalGig is for international use. That said Mobidata still offer 100MB a month for use in many overseas countries included in their tariff, which starts at a fiver a month for 1GB. I've used them and they have been great. Great for a tablet or MiFi unit.
    Last edited by lean&mean; 03-12-2014 at 8:54 PM.
    • joeluken
    • By joeluken 4th Dec 14, 8:03 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    joeluken
    • 4th Dec 14, 8:03 AM
    • 4th Dec 14, 8:03 AM

Hi all,

We've written a new guide to piggybacking and which network really providers your mobile service and we'd love your feedback.

Thanks,

MSE Rebecca
    Originally posted by MSE Rebecca

It may alo be worth mentioning that whilst MVNO's use a host provider it doesn't mean the service such as data will perform the same as using a product directly form the host network. Giffgaff recently explained that it rents a limited amount of bandwidth and once this reaches capacity, irrespective of location, O2 will drop its data packets and its internet slows and/or becomes unsuable compared to O2 direct.
  • Stuartli
    • 4th Dec 14, 2:36 PM
    • 4th Dec 14, 2:36 PM
    I buy my own phone on eBay or Amazon and use GiffGaff.

GiffGaff is owned by O2, yet is approximately half to one-third of its cost on an ad hoc or rolling monthly PAYG contract with payment by Direct Debit.

Great value for money and it's very easy to Port your present mobile phone number to GiffGaff if you wish....
    • tallsam
    • By tallsam 12th Dec 14, 2:38 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    tallsam
    • 12th Dec 14, 2:38 PM
    Can I sign up for a BT Business mobile plan if I'm not a business user?
    • 12th Dec 14, 2:38 PM
    Unfortunately, due to poor signal at the office I can only use the EE network. As BT is piggybacking on the EE network this should work for me. Plus their rates and charges are much more favourable than EE.

So can I use them even though my employment status is that of an employee (one full time job and some part time work in the summer at another place - both different businesses).
    • lean&mean
    • By lean&mean 3rd Jan 15, 5:52 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    lean&mean
    • 3rd Jan 15, 5:52 PM
    EE wifi calling. Will it launch... ever?
    • 3rd Jan 15, 5:52 PM
    Hi Rebecca
    Your guide to piggybacking mentions the O2 and Three apps that allow calls over over wifi. It also mentions that EE is launching a 'wifi calling' app. This isn't quite right. EE has announced that it is launching a 'wifi calling' service, but there is no app involved. The software is built into the phone. Some parts of EE's website have wrongly claimed it had launched but the main page still says 'coming soon' and has done so since the summer. This seems rather misleading, especially as some EE shops have apparently been tempting people to switch networks. The continued delay is bad enough but encouraging people to switch because of a non-existent service is scandalous.
    If your EE reception at home is terrible, the best course of action seems currently to either switch networks if you can, or demand a signal box from EE.
    • tyllwyd
    • By tyllwyd 4th Jan 15, 11:31 AM
    • 5,421 Posts
    • 4,405 Thanks
    tyllwyd
    • 4th Jan 15, 11:31 AM
    • 4th Jan 15, 11:31 AM
    Why are White Mobile not included in the table as piggybacking on EE?
    https://www.whitemobile.com/
    They get mentioned quite often on the forums.

I've been with them for about a year now, and so far everything has been good - they are very cheap for a low user. My only quibble is that they don't allow premium SMS.
    • tallsam
    • By tallsam 5th Jan 15, 1:37 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    tallsam
    • 5th Jan 15, 1:37 PM
    • 5th Jan 15, 1:37 PM
    Blimey, 5p per text on White. Fine if you don't text but that would soon add up for me.
    • tyllwyd
    • By tyllwyd 5th Jan 15, 2:06 PM
    • 5,421 Posts
    • 4,405 Thanks
    tyllwyd
    Blimey, 5p per text on White. Fine if you don't text but that would soon add up for me.
    Originally posted by tallsam

Well, for a PAYG tariff it's cheap, but obviously if you are sending a lot of texts it's not the right option. I'm only spending a few pounds a month, so I like the fact I'm not tied into paying a fixed amount.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 5th Jan 15, 6:38 PM
    • 4,932 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Like 99% of all pay as you go providers

I'm only spending a few pounds a month, so I like the fact I'm not tied into paying a fixed amount.
    Originally posted by tyllwyd
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 5th Jan 15, 6:44 PM
    • 23,429 Posts
    • 58,672 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Not mentioned in the article - do any of the big 4 providers still piggyback off each other in remote areas?

Six years ago, Three piggybacked off O2 in Argyll (there were only O2 & Vodafone masts in the area). I moved to Manchester, and my phone picked up an Orange signal here. When I needed to return to Scotland for a couple of days, I found that my Three account didn't work at all - it had stopped piggybacking off O2 and wouldn't re-start. It turned out that Three had changed 'piggy' and only maintained the O2 arrangement for existing customers whose phone was still in the area.

So I think it would be useful for the more remote MSE readers to know whether any of the big 4 still have this piggyback arrangement in remote areas.
    Last edited by Tigsteroonie; 05-01-2015 at 6:45 PM. Reason: grammar
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
  • Mobile Man
    Good article. Interesting to see who uses who.

Is the network coverage exactly the same via the Piggy Backers?
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 15th Jan 15, 4:13 PM
    • 4,932 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    3 still have a 2G roaming agreement with EE (Orange) in a limited amount of rural areas without 3G/4G coverage.

It isn't advertised and is voice/text only, so no data including MMS.

Not mentioned in the article - do any of the big 4 providers still piggyback off each other in remote areas?

So I think it would be useful for the more remote MSE readers to know whether any of the big 4 still have this piggyback arrangement in remote areas.
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 15th Jan 15, 4:18 PM
    • 4,932 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Yes, except the virtual networks don't always have access to the newer 4G LTE network.

EE and Vodafone currently regard 4G as premium.
    O2 and 3 mostly offer 4G as standard.

Is the network coverage exactly the same via the Piggy Backers?
    Originally posted by Mobile Man
    • condoghost
    • By condoghost 4th Mar 15, 9:26 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    condoghost
    Great news on the PiggyBacking. A question --- just to get it clear in my mind e.g. if I'm with Shebang piggybacking Three I can use the ThreeinTouch App where my signal is poor or does the App only work for customers of Three directly?
    • d123
    • By d123 4th Mar 15, 9:45 PM
    • 8,076 Posts
    • 5,269 Thanks
    d123
    Great news on the PiggyBacking. A question --- just to get it clear in my mind e.g. if I'm with Shebang piggybacking Three I can use the ThreeinTouch App where my signal is poor or does the App only work for customers of Three directly?
    Originally posted by condoghost
    No, the app is for Three customers only.
    ====
    • wongawonga
    • By wongawonga 5th Mar 15, 5:15 AM
    • 354 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    wongawonga
    No, the app is for Three customers only.
    Originally posted by d123
    Nor do you get to use http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home or a free data allowance when you top up.

Plus if you call them from a landline you have to call a rip off 0844 number which they should have changed ages ago .
    • robbies_gal
    • By robbies_gal 5th Mar 15, 10:05 PM
    • 7,678 Posts
    • 152,138 Thanks
    robbies_gal
    just to update ee now states u can only get wifi calling on the new still not release samsung s6 phones

and the nokia lumia 640 bought direct from ee

Hi Rebecca
    Your guide to piggybacking mentions the O2 and Three apps that allow calls over over wifi. It also mentions that EE is launching a 'wifi calling' app. This isn't quite right. EE has announced that it is launching a 'wifi calling' service, but there is no app involved. The software is built into the phone. Some parts of EE's website have wrongly claimed it had launched but the main page still says 'coming soon' and has done so since the summer. This seems rather misleading, especially as some EE shops have apparently been tempting people to switch networks. The continued delay is bad enough but encouraging people to switch because of a non-existent service is scandalous.
    If your EE reception at home is terrible, the best course of action seems currently to either switch networks if you can, or demand a signal box from EE.
    Originally posted by lean&mean
    What goes around-comes around
    • d123
    • By d123 5th Mar 15, 10:19 PM
    • 8,076 Posts
    • 5,269 Thanks
    d123
    just to update ee now states u can only get wifi calling on the new still not release samsung s6 phones

and the nokia lumia 640 bought direct from ee
    Originally posted by robbies_gal
    Not quite, it will be available on the iPhone 6 and 6+, and later the 5s and 5c. Android and Windows Phone will only work with EE branded phones, starting with the S6, S6 Edge and Lumia 640.

We’re delighted to announce that we’ll be the first network to launch Wifi calling in the UK when the Samsung Galaxy S6, the S6 Edge and the Lumia 640 become available on EE.

All these handsets are due for release in April.

Wifi calling for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus is also in the works and we’ll confirm a release date as soon as details are finalised with Apple – the announcement should be next week. Once we’ve launched on those devices, we’ll activate 100,000 customers a day then move on to the 5S and 5C to ensure we’ve connected Apple users on compatible devices by summer.

With WiFi Calling you can seamlessly make and receive calls and texts over Wifi, even when there’s no mobile signal.

Wifi calling has been the subject of much discussion in the forum over the last six months and, following a delay to the planned launch of the service, we’re delighted to be bringing you this incredibly helpful new technology on these fantastic handsets.

You can read the full announcement here.

Any questions on WiFi calling, the Galaxy S6, the S6 Edge and the Lumia 640? Please ask below.
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,987Posts Today

8,215Users online

Martin's Twitter