Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 4th Jul 05, 8:07 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 4th Jul 05, 8:07 PM
    • 4th Jul 05, 8:07 PM
    looks like a pear but is as hard as a brick
    you get quince jam, jelly etc commonly in france and spain
    its a VERY old style english thing but as a fruit you cannot eat it straight off the tree, you have to cook it.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • Jolaaled
    • By Jolaaled 4th Jul 05, 8:17 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    Jolaaled
    • 4th Jul 05, 8:17 PM
    • 4th Jul 05, 8:17 PM
    There's some info on this website

http://www.historicfood.com/Quinces%20Recipe.htm

but it also says that there's traces of cyanide in them too..so prob best go easy!!
  • Trying2Save
    • 4th Jul 05, 8:29 PM
    • 4th Jul 05, 8:29 PM
    Sarahsaver, the fruit last year was round, not pear shaped and from memory I think it was green and sort of speckled. Doesn't sound as though it is a quince does it?

Jolaaled, loved the website, absolutely fascinating - thanks.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 4th Jul 05, 8:39 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 4th Jul 05, 8:39 PM
    • 4th Jul 05, 8:39 PM
    Mine look like the second and the fourth pictures of the first row Here
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • Queenie
    • 4th Jul 05, 8:53 PM
    • 4th Jul 05, 8:53 PM
    Mine look like the second and the fourth pictures of the first row Here
    by squeaky
    Your fruit looked like ... Brides!!????? :confused:

Time I went to bed methinks
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 4th Jul 05, 9:36 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 4th Jul 05, 9:36 PM
    • 4th Jul 05, 9:36 PM
    I just checked it. Works fine for me. Quinces.

Anyone else having problems with the link?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 4th Jul 05, 10:12 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 4th Jul 05, 10:12 PM
    • 4th Jul 05, 10:12 PM
    I have a recipe for quince preserve...I have absolutely no idea what it's like, it's from a city gardening book...Urban Eden by Adam and James Caplin

Quinces
    Sugar

wash the quinces and quarter them to remve the cores but do not peel
    cut into chunck and steam till soft
    weigh the cooked quinces and put aside the same amount of sugar
    puree the quince in a blender then add the sugar
    cook the sweetened pulp in a saucepan until it's deep orange and starts to come away from the sides of the pan when stirred
    line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and pour the pulp into the tray to a depth of 1/4" - 2"
    put in a cooling oven (after cooking something else) till dry
    when dry cut into squares, store in an airtight tin and consume within 2 weeks
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 4th Jul 05, 11:16 PM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 4th Jul 05, 11:16 PM
    • 4th Jul 05, 11:16 PM
    I was told that the 'apple' that grows on a Japonica is a quince. Does anyone know if this is correct as I have one growing in my garden? :confused:
    by Trying2Save
    Are you sure you have a culinary quince (edible) and not an ornamental quince (inedible)?

:confused:
  • Queenie
    I just checked it. Works fine for me. Quinces.

Anyone else having problems with the link?
    by squeaky
    Worked fine for me too - but the first two pictures on the 2nd row were of brides ... I was having a little joke. Apologies.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Kippsy

Queenie, your brides made me laugh! Re-checked the link and saw the brides
    ah bless me, I do think tho that search engines have their own wierd sense of humour!
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 5th Jul 05, 7:50 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Oh, right I didn't look any lower because the two pictures I mentioned were fine for what I wanted to show.

There's even an entire galaxy a bit further down...

• Trying2Save
    Not sure what I've got growing in the garden, I thought it was a Japonica :confused: The red flowers are the same as in Squeaky's picture first row, 3rd one. I will have to wait until the fruit has formed - but I wouldn't want to poison us all
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 5th Jul 05, 3:05 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Mine look very much like that and I was told, as I was given the cutting, that it's a flowering quince. I've no idea if that's an alternate name to Japonica. Anyway, mine flower very early in spring and the fruits are already showing well though they seldom get any bigger than a golf ball and many are barely marble sized. Haven't made anything with them yet.

• Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 5th Jul 05, 3:26 PM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    Mine look very much like that and I was told, as I was given the cutting, that it's a flowering quince. I've no idea if that's an alternate name to Japonica. Anyway, mine flower very early in spring and the fruits are already showing well though they seldom get any bigger than a golf ball and many are barely marble sized. Haven't made anything with them yet.
    by squeaky
    Japonica means "Japanese" e.g. Japanese Quince. I think you have a Chaenomeles Japonica an Ornamental Quince. The fruit are probably edible, but maybe a little bitter, although the seeds are (apparently) poisonous. See here
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 5th Jul 05, 3:36 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Then from the description there I don't have one of those. Or maybe it's one of the other varieties. I'm sure it's a quince - he sez, well, fairly sure

• KTFrugal
    Those "round quinces" are edible, but only cooked. I've made jelly from them in the past, as you would with rowans and other tree fruits. The fruit is too seedy and pithy to make jam with, but the jelly's not bad at all and is a nice pale pink colour. Mix it with apples to get a better yield.

"Pear shaped quinces" are a treat in October/November and if you have one of those trees in the garden, lucky you.
  • Allexie
    I have a recipe for quince preserve...I have absolutely no idea what it's like, it's from a city gardening book...Urban Eden by Adam and James Caplin

Quinces
    Sugar

wash the quinces and quarter them to remve the cores but do not peel
    cut into chunck and steam till soft
    weigh the cooked quinces and put aside the same amount of sugar
    puree the quince in a blender then add the sugar
    cook the sweetened pulp in a saucepan until it's deep orange and starts to come away from the sides of the pan when stirred
    line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and pour the pulp into the tray to a depth of 1/4" - 2"
    put in a cooling oven (after cooking something else) till dry
    when dry cut into squares, store in an airtight tin and consume within 2 weeks
    by apprentice tycoon
    This is scrumptious stuff, especially served with cheese as they do in Spain...('dulce de membrillo' it's called there)...just wish I had some quinces
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Trying2Save
    Mine have red flowers early in spring as well and there are now round, speckled green shaped fruit on them, about the size of a satsuma. Maybe I can take a photo with my mobile and post it here. Anyone know if you can and how to do it?
    • juno
    • By juno 7th Jul 05, 8:06 PM
    • 6,436 Posts
    • 9,153 Thanks
    juno
    We have quince growing in our garden, and I was told you can't eat them if they grow in the UK!

I have no idea if this correct though.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt 4578.27 0.00
    100% paid off

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,711Posts Today

7,389Users online

Martin's Twitter