Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Moneyer
    • By Moneyer 27th Nov 14, 7:35 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Moneyer
    • 27th Nov 14, 7:35 AM
    • 27th Nov 14, 7:35 AM
    And what are they going to do to track down people who have moved since overpaying? I fear that in some cases, tenants will have been overcharged, and their landlords will end up pocketing the refundÖ.
    • saxonman
    • By saxonman 27th Nov 14, 8:01 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    saxonman
    • 27th Nov 14, 8:01 AM
    • 27th Nov 14, 8:01 AM
    What happens if they cannot contact the the bill payer.
    My daughter is on a meter,but never answers phone to withheld numbers and any number she does not know ( someone always chasing her for money ) .And you can bet they will be withheld numbers.
    SAXONMAN
    • Kevmos
    • By Kevmos 27th Nov 14, 11:46 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kevmos
    • 27th Nov 14, 11:46 AM
    • 27th Nov 14, 11:46 AM
    They will make contact by any alternative means, text/email/letter. I know this has been raised as a possible issue so it's on suppliers to make 'all reasonable endeavors'.
    • keefyboy
    • By keefyboy 27th Nov 14, 2:00 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    keefyboy
    • 27th Nov 14, 2:00 PM
    • 27th Nov 14, 2:00 PM
    Why do they not release the make and model of the meters affected, as if there is an error with prePaid meters, can there not be a problem with Credit meters as well...?. we all know how good the energy companies are are telling about things that are wrong.
    The Looney of Loughborough..
    • Kevmos
    • By Kevmos 27th Nov 14, 2:21 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kevmos
    • 27th Nov 14, 2:21 PM
    • 27th Nov 14, 2:21 PM
    Well they already released the manufactor, it was Landys and Gyrs.

As for he models, I don't really think it was necessary to go into that level of detail but the meter models I am aware of that MAY be affected are GWI QM6/7/8, GWI Quantum, Libra 200/200a/210, Q-Smart and Quantum/Quantum GM2. There could be more as only seen a small example base.

To answer the credit meter question, the CV is provided to Suppliers so it has nothing to do with the meter, hence why there is no concern to the billing type customer.
    Last edited by Kevmos; 27-11-2014 at 2:25 PM. Reason: Update
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 27th Nov 14, 2:24 PM
    • 10,957 Posts
    • 9,862 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 27th Nov 14, 2:24 PM
    • 27th Nov 14, 2:24 PM
    Alas..if it were only this simple....
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Gosportcatwoman
    • 5th Dec 14, 4:41 AM
    Meters - do they know what they're doing?
    • 5th Dec 14, 4:41 AM
    In May my prepayment gas meter taken out and went back with approx. £40 credit on it. ALL DEBT had been paid four months previously. NPower managed to work out that I still owed £20 due to gas usage calculations. Never did get an explanation how you can owe money on a prepayment meter but they 'wrote off' the £20.
    • chella
    • By chella 6th Dec 14, 11:28 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    chella
    • 6th Dec 14, 11:28 PM
    • 6th Dec 14, 11:28 PM
    I received a letter today from British Gas, from a house I lived in 5 years ago. I have moved 3 times since then.

The letter states I may have overpaid on my meters for the time I lived there and to call or email and they would refund me.

Am going to call Monday.
  • EnergySecurity
    Conservation of Energy Principle
    It is the case that the world over the conservation of energy principle, i.e. that it can not be "lost" is accepted by all scientists and engineers.

I wonder if many of the MSE regulars have also had this experience?

Take out a gas appliance, expecting usage and bills to go down.

No, both usage and bills go up, in fact they have gone up quarter on quarter, every quarter ever since and it all came to light because of the change in format of bills.

They've now stopped sending me any bills at all, in my view this is because they don't want to commit themselves to any statement in writing to claim the calorific value, and I believe that's because they already know there's an issue. This is on credit billing, not prepaid, so it affects a lot more people.

So whoever said it can't happen on credit billing is wrong, it is happening, as demonstrated by the conservation of energy principle. Naturally, I've had the meter changed and the systems checked to rule out those potential influences.

Post a reply if you've had a similar experience?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 15th Dec 14, 8:22 AM
    • 28,100 Posts
    • 13,936 Thanks
    Cardew
    It is the case that the world over the conservation of energy principle, i.e. that it can not be "lost" is accepted by all scientists and engineers.

I wonder if many of the MSE regulars have also had this experience?

Take out a gas appliance, expecting usage and bills to go down.

No, both usage and bills go up, in fact they have gone up quarter on quarter, every quarter ever since and it all came to light because of the change in format of bills.

They've now stopped sending me any bills at all, in my view this is because they don't want to commit themselves to any statement in writing to claim the calorific value, and I believe that's because they already know there's an issue. This is on credit billing, not prepaid, so it affects a lot more people.

So whoever said it can't happen on credit billing is wrong, it is happening, as demonstrated by the conservation of energy principle. Naturally, I've had the meter changed and the systems checked to rule out those potential influences.

Post a reply if you've had a similar experience?
    Originally posted by EnergySecurity

Welcome to the forum.

I am afraid I don't understand your post.

If it is something to do with the calorific value(CV) of gas, then that is not set by the distribution companies(BGas/Eon etc). In any case the variation in CV has quite a small effect on the conversion of gas units to kWh.

Can you please explain the point you are making/claiming with examples; and who has stopped sending bills.
    Last edited by Cardew; 15-12-2014 at 8:24 AM.
  • speedt5r
    I have just received a 19.32 refund as they call it, It was in relation to my present address .
    So I called them to find out if they had included my previous address as I had a prepayment meter there for over 4 years, I was told by Edf its only been a problem over the past year not 2 or 3 years ago.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 16th Dec 14, 7:42 PM
    • 10,957 Posts
    • 9,862 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    At least they are fessing up, telling people whats happened and taking steps to trace people and repay them.

This contrasts sharply with the latest scandal of stealing by finding whereby energy companies have hung on to credits on accounts where the customer has swapped suppliers.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • rich_shot2003
    • By rich_shot2003 18th Dec 14, 1:59 AM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    rich_shot2003
    I got a letter from BG yesterday and a refund of £11 which have to take to somewhere who has paypoint and will give it to me as cash.

but i dont understand the letter as it states that the £11 is to cover things while they are still fixing the problem and to cover from now till June 2015 so what happens with any refund due from wherever to now?

the letter does not make that very clear at all.

i am still with BG and have been for 2 years now.
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 19th Dec 14, 4:55 PM
    • 17,136 Posts
    • 283,890 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    I've just had a letter from edf-

Dear QoC

We're rubbish at charging you, so we will refund you nearly £100

Happy christmas

The robbing gits at EDF

Well, not quite worded like that but you get my drift
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Biggest aim of this year - hope that my terminally ill brother sees Christmas ✅ and 2020 ✅
    • Joyful
    • By Joyful 21st Dec 14, 12:11 AM
    • 2,279 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    Joyful
    rich_shot2003 As companies are only allowed to send so many meter messages a week it may take until June 2015 to have all British Gas's meters updated. Due to this they are refunding any overcharge up to that point. If someone meter gets updated quicker they are obviously on a winner but if it is not till the later date then it means they will not have been overcharged as they will have been paid the overcharge amount in advance.

During December and January everyone affected who is currently on supply with BG will receive their over payment as a refund. After that they will move onto historical properties.

Your refund will cover the whole time with BG at this property up till June 2015. You must be quite a low user.
    ****Released the reins and am now Self employed****
    • rich_shot2003
    • By rich_shot2003 21st Dec 14, 1:46 AM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    rich_shot2003
    rich_shot2003 As companies are only allowed to send so many meter messages a week it may take until June 2015 to have all British Gas's meters updated. Due to this they are refunding any overcharge up to that point. If someone meter gets updated quicker they are obviously on a winner but if it is not till the later date then it means they will not have been overcharged as they will have been paid the overcharge amount in advance.

During December and January everyone affected who is currently on supply with BG will receive their over payment as a refund. After that they will move onto historical properties.

Your refund will cover the whole time with BG at this property up till June 2015. You must be quite a low user.
    Originally posted by Joyful

Many thanks for that.

we use about £10 a week on gas so not sure if that class us as low users or not.

trouble is how can anyone work out if we are getting the right refund?

the big 5 could if they wanted to not give the right refunds to people as we would never know if the refund we got was right.

in my case a £11 refund with being with them now for 2 years does seem low and how would i get refund from Npower who i was with before BG?

i like many others just dont trust them at all.
    • Joyful
    • By Joyful 21st Dec 14, 10:45 AM
    • 2,279 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    Joyful
    I would imagine if the other suppliers are backdating it then you would be due from the previous supplier.

Now that the suppliers are aware of the problem ans are acting on it there should be no reason to doubt that they will do it right. This will cost a lot of money to administer. If it was not right they would have to start all over again.
    • rich_shot2003
    • By rich_shot2003 21st Dec 14, 2:33 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    rich_shot2003
    I would imagine if the other suppliers are backdating it then you would be due from the previous supplier.

Now that the suppliers are aware of the problem ans are acting on it there should be no reason to doubt that they will do it right. This will cost a lot of money to administer. If it was not right they would have to start all over again.
    Originally posted by Joyful
    Many thanks for that.

How would i get a refund if due one from my old supplier?

will they just contact me?
    • Joyful
    • By Joyful 21st Dec 14, 2:38 PM
    • 2,279 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    Joyful
    I cannot answer for another company I'm afraid.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

2,475Users online

Martin's Twitter