Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • djenks
    • By djenks 4th Jul 05, 6:37 PM
    • 159Posts
    • 463Thanks
    djenks
    Birthday Breakfast & Tea
    • 4th Jul 05, 6:37 PM
    Birthday Breakfast & Tea 4th Jul 05 at 6:37 PM
    Hi, I'm struggling for inspiration! Its my Sons 12th birthday on Weds and I want to make hime a special Brekfast and tea. We have just come back off holiday so I'm a bit poor at the moment - dose anyone have any menu ideas?

Thanks, Dawn
Page 1
  • Queenie
    • 4th Jul 05, 6:48 PM
    • 4th Jul 05, 6:48 PM
    My d11yo thought he was the dogs knee's when I made him egg on toast for his b/day (I don't make cooked breakfasts )

My roasts are pretty "famous", so I always offer them their choice of roast for their b/days. My dd, my dh and my d11yo all lurve lamb (which is pricey!!) and with dd's birthday being New Year's Day and Dh's being Dec 30th it could have been a real nighmare ... had I not resorted to lamb chops/cutlets instead.

As your son has a July b/day, could you do a bbq meal? Or maybe, what we call a "picky tea" ... picky tea is basically little tidbits of all sorts out of the freezer/fridge ... very like a Spanish Tapa's?

Failing that, how about making an ordinary tea but making his favourite sweet treat to round off the meal?

:confused:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • starlite
    • 4th Jul 05, 6:51 PM
    • 4th Jul 05, 6:51 PM
    I'm sure he will gladly recieve anything with a smile!

But maybe poached eggs on toast and a big glass of smoothie for breakfast?
    Or maybe a spanish omellette with toasted pitta on the side
    The key, I'm sure, is in the presentation - spend a bit of time on the layout of the food, and add a few decorations to the tray and any food will become special!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 4th Jul 05, 6:56 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 4th Jul 05, 6:56 PM
    • 4th Jul 05, 6:56 PM
    Or, if you make some pizza dough (or a basic scone mix if you don't have any yeast) rolled out thinly, but set out little dishes of some of his favourite things (ham, tuna, peppers, corn, whatever)...

..first have a nice time squirting ketchup and tomatoe puree with a few herbs and things into dish and squelching them all around then plastering the rolled out dough(thinly) with it, then adding all the goodies before topping with cheese.

So he gets to choose how much of what goes where. If he likes kitchen stuff he can even give the dough a good bashing before rolling it out.

Twenty minutes in the middle of a preheated oven at gas mark 5 (375F 190C) will do it.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • starlite
    • 4th Jul 05, 6:57 PM
    • 4th Jul 05, 6:57 PM
    Queenie is right ..kids love things they can pick and choose at, so maybe a buffet of pizzas, corn on the cob, garlic bread, deep-fried bits(brie, chillis, onions etc) and salads and coleslaw etc
    but perhaps the best bet is to ask hime what he would like and then try to make it in the cheapest way possible (not forgetting it's a special occasion so splurging a little is all good!)
    Damn the old style board has made me feel like a mum of many already, even though my first isn't due for a few months, but the tips have been very useful in childminding etc..so I shouldn't feel too bad, at least I am well prepared!
  • Queenie
    • 4th Jul 05, 7:04 PM
    • 4th Jul 05, 7:04 PM
    HM burgers are also dead easy (and minced beef is often on the reduced counter in supermarkets) ...

.. just mould the mince into balls and ... flatten! Some people eke it out with breadcrumbs plus an egg.

You can make the burgers "different" and zany by ...

... add a slice of pineapple and a slice of cheese = hawaiian burger (sp?)
    ... add a teaspoon of chilli powder to the mince = Mexican burger
    ... add some garlic to the mince, top with brie = Parisian burger
    .. wrap the burger in slice of bacon (before cooking) = Danish burger
    ... look up "Sloppy Joes" via Google = American burger with a twist (?)

You get the idea LOL
  • henhog
    • 4th Jul 05, 7:18 PM
    • 4th Jul 05, 7:18 PM
    Most kids love spag bol - and you can make a load of it (the bol bit that is) and freeze it for another day. You could do garlic bread to make it more special. Hot dogs and rolls are another fave with all kids, (this one can be mega cheap if you use tinned hotdogs, but slightly bettter ones are often available on BOGOF). Icecream is a good pud for most kids.
    For breakfast you could try eggy toast (I think this is also called French Toast) - this can be made with added cinnamon if you have a sweet tooth. Or maybe you could do pancakes - that would be a treat and cheap and easy.
    When we were kids we were allowed to pick our own birthday tea - we never wanted dear things, just our faves i.e. sausage and mash, egg and chips! Maybe you could ask him what he would like or if you fear he would ask for something that costs too much, give him some choices.
    Good luck.
    • Chipps
    • By Chipps 4th Jul 05, 7:26 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Chipps
    • 4th Jul 05, 7:26 PM
    • 4th Jul 05, 7:26 PM
    One of our son's favourite birthday dinners was chicken fondue. (If you have or can borrow a fondue set)
    Basically you heat up some oil in the pan (we did this on the stove before putting the pan over the heater) then you all cook your own chicken pieces. I used cubed chicken, which I cut up a bit smaller. Then there should be bowls of different flavoured dips to dip the cooked chicken in. The hot oil cooks it through very quickly.
    We have done this a couple or more times, and the dips I remember are: a chinese cook-in sauce, a mexican dip, a curry & a cream cheese dip, as well as ketchup. The boys liked this, partly (I suspect) because of the element of danger involved! And it is fun to do.
  • starlite
    • 4th Jul 05, 7:29 PM
    • 4th Jul 05, 7:29 PM
    fondue is also great for dessert..with melted chocolate(and with melted chocolate I find cheapest is better than anything!) and apple/strawberry/orange slices etc.
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 4th Jul 05, 7:30 PM
    • 11,237 Posts
    • 49,145 Thanks
    Prudent
    It was my daughter's 13th Birthday in May. I wanted to make her a very fancy breakfast (to cheer her up as it was a school day). After going through a lot of extravagant and/ or exotic options she finally decided she wanted on a whole packet of the wee willie winkie sausages (small sinkless sausgaes) covered in masses of tomato sauce! It didn't cost much as she loved it.
  • starlite
    HE HE... yes always remeber kids like simple things when it comes to it..anything fanciful is wasted on them when they'd rather be treated to all out junk food they usualy won't be allowed.
  • Queenie
    HE HE... yes always remeber kids like simple things when it comes to it..anything fanciful is wasted on them when they'd rather be treated to all out junk food they usualy won't be allowed.
    by starlite
    Ain't *that* the truth!!!!

Prudent: your dd sounds a real sweetie!!!

henhog: Yup, egg n chips was my dbro's favourite too ... he'd even try and order it in a "posh" restaurant (much to our Mother's shame )

Chipps: I'm booking my rail card up to yours ready for my birthday tea
  • starlite

Chipps: I'm booking my rail card up to yours ready for my birthday tea
    by Queenie
    he he...I thought the same...pregnancy cravings have been alerted by that post, i'm trying to think how I can fashion a fondue out of things around the house (we lent ours to p.m.i.l last year)
    I know chicken done under the grill with heated up sauces will do the same job, but I really want the whole hog...he he
    any room at the table Chipps?
  • Queenie
    *grabs starlights hand and makes a dash to the ticket station ... ... ponders if we'll need just the two tickets ... or three? *

For whole hog, have you considered a sucking pig, slow roasted over a charcoal pit in the garden?
  • starlite
    He he he...thanks for that Queenie ...and agin ...he he heee .This thread is just what I need when I feel like an over inflated lilo sitting here at my desk with all sorts of worries on my mind...first and foremost of course..what to eat next!
    See you at the station in half an hour?
  • Queenie
    Done! I'll have a bag of carrot sticks, apple wedges, sunflower kernals, sultana's and chocolate cookie bites so you won't be without a nibble
  • starlite
    Oh dammit...I'll be coming round to yours next...
    unfortunatley I am stocked up with 'so yesterday darling' craving foods such as a whole tuperware box of egg mayo and cress, pocky, cashew nuts, del monte orange lollies and watermelon...
    and I can't pass these on to my flatmates no matter how hard i try! they can't be that bad! but to me right now i'd eat anything but..he he
    dammit...veering off topic here, so to the o.p you reckon your son might want any of the above as a birthday treat? he he
    • honey
    • By honey 5th Jul 05, 8:42 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 3,208 Thanks
    honey
    How about pancakes for breakfast?

Easy, cheap and so yummy.

Mostly we have them with lemon, raisins & apricots but for a very special treat - Chocolate spread
    • Chipps
    • By Chipps 5th Jul 05, 9:00 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Chipps
    any room at the table Chipps?
    Well there will be when I've got the dining room back... once the conservatory is finished!
    • elona
    • By elona 5th Jul 05, 9:04 AM
    • 11,149 Posts
    • 63,451 Thanks
    elona
    When I give ny daughters a choice they love boiled egg and soldiers - bacon toastie or pancakes (I do them as small drop scones and they put home made jam on them.)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,639Users online

Martin's Twitter