Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 14th Nov 14, 8:19 AM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: IT bug at Ovo Energy means 13,000 customer bills were wrong
    • 14th Nov 14, 8:19 AM
    MSE News: IT bug at Ovo Energy means 13,000 customer bills were wrong 14th Nov 14 at 8:19 AM
    Thousands of Ovo Energy customers were charged the wrong amounts for their gas and electricity bills due to an IT 'bug' ...

Read the full story:

IT bug at Ovo Energy means 13,000 customer bills were wrong

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 14th Nov 14, 8:34 AM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    • 14th Nov 14, 8:34 AM
    • 14th Nov 14, 8:34 AM
    There are still bugs. What happens to those who owe £10? Is that an MSE or Ovo bug?
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 14th Nov 14, 8:41 AM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 6,804 Thanks
    bexster1975
    • 14th Nov 14, 8:41 AM
    • 14th Nov 14, 8:41 AM
    It's not just this bug. Last week ovo emailed to say they were increasing my DD by 50%, even though I am over two months in credit! Called them to ask why and all customer service could say was "it's obviously a mistake". I'm afraid I don't believe it's a mistake. I told them to return the payment to the previous level if they couldn't justify the increase, so they did. It's hard work doing other peoples jobs as well as your own

Bexster
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 14th Nov 14, 9:42 AM
    • 5,643 Posts
    • 2,507 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 14th Nov 14, 9:42 AM
    • 14th Nov 14, 9:42 AM
    There are still bugs. What happens to those who owe £10? Is that an MSE or Ovo bug?
    Originally posted by Nada666
    ...up to £10 debt is being written off?
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 14th Nov 14, 9:51 AM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    • 14th Nov 14, 9:51 AM
    • 14th Nov 14, 9:51 AM
    ...up to £10 debt is being written off?
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    It has been slightly corrected.

The "it will write off payments owed of under £10. For those who owe between £10.01 and" was previously something like "under £10. More than £10.01" so the undefined range has been reduced from two pennies to a single penny. Not sure why they would bother to edit it but still leave in that undefined amount, though.

Not that, on the grand scale of things, ...
    • zerog
    • By zerog 14th Nov 14, 5:20 PM
    • 2,428 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    zerog
    • 14th Nov 14, 5:20 PM
    • 14th Nov 14, 5:20 PM
    It's not just this bug. Last week ovo emailed to say they were increasing my DD by 50%, even though I am over two months in credit! Called them to ask why and all customer service could say was "it's obviously a mistake". I'm afraid I don't believe it's a mistake. I told them to return the payment to the previous level if they couldn't justify the increase, so they did. It's hard work doing other peoples jobs as well as your own

Bexster
    Originally posted by bexster1975
    I wish this happened to me, OVO pays 3% interest on credit balances, but they won't pay it if you artificially inflate your DD. If they mistakenly inflate your DD then it's a different matter ...
    • MyDogMuppet
    • By MyDogMuppet 14th Nov 14, 10:11 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MyDogMuppet
    • 14th Nov 14, 10:11 PM
    the new buffoons of the energy industry ?
    • 14th Nov 14, 10:11 PM
    Stunned at the practices of this company.

As a new build eco house they have dreamt up a fictitious annual consumption figure, their EAC, that bears no relation to actual consumption. They use this figure to set the Direct Debit.

I've pointed out the huge disparity between EAC and usage and asked for an accurate revised projection. They've got 400,000 customers and extrapolating data isn't that difficult.

But no. They cannot be arsed. Much easier to gouge customers. DD increased by 119% last month.

So its off to the Ombudsman we go.
    I bet their is a condition in their licence that states they MUST give the best estimates of usage.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 15th Nov 14, 5:25 AM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 3,235 Thanks
    Terry98
    • 15th Nov 14, 5:25 AM
    • 15th Nov 14, 5:25 AM
    They seem to have major problems with their IT systems.

I have not been able to access my account for five months and have been told it will be another couple of months before the problem is sorted out.

It's just not good enough for a company that is supposed to be one of the best for customer service.
  • poppyand pansy
    • 15th Nov 14, 2:47 PM
    Oh no Ovo
    • 15th Nov 14, 2:47 PM
    Want to go all Victor Meldrew and say i cant believe it. I transferred to EVO from EDF and so far EVO have my vote as they cant possibly make more of a hash of it than EDF! So far so good lets see if I'm one of those whose been underpaying...
    • jamesperrett
    • By jamesperrett 15th Nov 14, 10:10 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    jamesperrett
    They've had problems for ages - for me they started off very cheap but that was mainly because they'd got metric and imperial measurements mixed up. They then regularly increased my DD until I ended up over £500 in credit by the time I left. They seem just as disorganised as most of the big boys.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 16th Nov 14, 8:27 AM
    • 5,643 Posts
    • 2,507 Thanks
    brewerdave
    They've had problems for ages - for me they started off very cheap but that was mainly because they'd got metric and imperial measurements mixed up. They then regularly increased my DD until I ended up over £500 in credit by the time I left. They seem just as disorganised as most of the big boys.
    Originally posted by jamesperrett

...did you get your credit back in a reasonable time frame? I ask because I'm moving from them to EON at the rnd of this month and will be ~ £400 in credit!!
  • Sandmonster
    Teething troubles?
    It took them 3 months to respond with a proper answer to my queries about this - and that only after I took to twitter to ask in public.

They also don't seem to be able to feed in the meter readings from their own meter man into the system - came 2 months ago now and still no reading???

Thankfully the co-op is now showing cheaper on the MSE club, including the £60 penalty, so I'll be switching!
    Last edited by Sandmonster; 16-11-2014 at 8:51 AM. Reason: add bit about meter reading
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 16th Nov 14, 11:39 AM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 2,962 Thanks
    Paul Varjak

Bexster
    Originally posted by bexster1975

I am in credit by almost three months (I have been with them for less than six months) and Ovo are more than doubling my DD! Last month my on-line account says they estimated my gas and electric readings saying I had failed to supply any readings, even though the readings I supplied (on time) are viewable within my account!

Anyway, when I noticed that they pay 3% in-credit interest I did not bother contacting them to complain. I will let them collect the extra DD and when my contract is up I will leave and claim back all my monies (including the 3% interest)
    • Horseygirl123
    • By Horseygirl123 16th Nov 14, 12:23 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    Horseygirl123
    We're on a fixed tariff for two years with OVO but think we'll probably change suppliers after that. We're constantly in credit. Had £500 refunded a few months ago and we are now in credit by £400 and they still say based on estimates we ought to increase our DD from £135 to £145 but won't let us reduce it.

They refunded within three weeks for the poster who was asking.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 17th Nov 14, 6:29 AM
    • 5,643 Posts
    • 2,507 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I am in credit by almost three months (I have been with them for less than six months) and Ovo are more than doubling my DD! Last month my on-line account says they estimated my gas and electric readings saying I had failed to supply any readings, even though the readings I supplied (on time) are viewable within my account!

Anyway, when I noticed that they pay 3% in-credit interest I did not bother contacting them to complain. I will let them collect the extra DD and when my contract is up I will leave and claim back all my monies (including the 3% interest)
    Originally posted by Paul Varjak
    ...interesting...I've been with them for just over 6 months running a comfortable surplus at the moment of ~ 2.5 months payments ...but they are suggesting that I drop my DD by £15 pm!!! Won't bother now as I'm switching away
    • Hoopie1
    • By Hoopie1 17th Nov 14, 11:32 AM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    Hoopie1
    Stephen Fitzpatrick can't keep out of the news when it comes to having a pop at the big six. When his company drops the ball he appears to be too busy and the issue is dealt with by "a spokesman".
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 18th Nov 14, 5:01 AM
    • 10,503 Posts
    • 16,415 Thanks
    worried jim
    Stephen Fitzpatrick can't keep out of the news when it comes to having a pop at the big six. When his company drops the ball he appears to be too busy and the issue is dealt with by "a spokesman".
    Originally posted by Hoopie1
    Clever chap! Never be the face of bad news. 10/10 for his marketing team.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 18th Nov 14, 7:22 AM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 3,235 Thanks
    Terry98
    Clever chap! Never be the face of bad news. 10/10 for his marketing team.
    Originally posted by worried jim

Yeah, but if they don't sort out these problems they will come back to bite them
    • pennywise63
    • By pennywise63 19th Nov 14, 10:06 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    pennywise63
    OVO. tarriff pricing
    Ditched EDF just over 2 years ago , never had a payment or problem with them , but OVO at the time were by far the cheapest supplier, renewing this time around they are about the 6 th cheapest , but the savings are only in the region of 50p per week , so having no hassle with DD and building up a 2 months credit surplus over the 2 + years which I get 3% intrest , decided to stay with them for another 12 months , did use the live chat and had a good old grump about the huge increase in daily standing charge.
    Altho I have always managed my account on line and put regular monthly readings in ,found out I had to register to get the recent on line discount which is available , this should have been automatically implimented on the new contract , but it wasn't but I did manage to claim back some of the discount as a good will gesture on the last few months of the old contract from when the newest online discount started . this discount just about ballances the extra on the daily standing charge .

Reading through the posts on here , if OVO are going to play silly beggars with DD increases and start getting things wrong and all mixed up . I will NOT be renewing my contract with them again as there are 2 of the big six who are slightly cheaper now proving that smaller suppliers are having the right effect on the bigger ones , it pays to shop around for the best deals which it is all about .Best value for your money .
    • dwp3
    • By dwp3 19th Nov 14, 4:46 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dwp3
    Just got an email from them this afternoon, apologising for the error and telling me I've underpaid by £12.44, which will be taken from my account balance. The trouble is that I've no idea what my current credit balance really is because they haven't billed me for gas for three months (I was on "billing suspension" because of the error). And because my bill for electricity only was so low they almost halved my direct debit last month.

They've given no information about how the three month's unpaid gas will be sorted out so I've emailed back asking if they're going to hit me with a huge bill just before Christmas. Now waiting for a reply ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,559Posts Today

7,773Users online

Martin's Twitter