Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 5th Nov 14, 4:44 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Santander credit or debit card user? You can now earn even more cashback
    • 5th Nov 14, 4:44 PM
    MSE News: Santander credit or debit card user? You can now earn even more cashback 5th Nov 14 at 4:44 PM
    Santander debit and credit card users can earn up to 15% cashback on spending from today ...

Read the full story:

Santander credit or debit card user? You can now earn even more cashback

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • FLA27
    • By FLA27 5th Nov 14, 6:24 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    FLA27
    • 5th Nov 14, 6:24 PM
    • 5th Nov 14, 6:24 PM
    Thanks, just seen this on MSE and I have now activated two offers. I probably won't use them this time but I would rather activate them and see them expire than spend money somewhere and realize too late that I could have earned cashback.

Must remember to keep checking every month.
    • muddlemand
    • By muddlemand 5th Nov 14, 6:50 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    muddlemand
    • 5th Nov 14, 6:50 PM
    • 5th Nov 14, 6:50 PM
    But why didn't I hear this from Santander?

When I'm logged in, there's a link in the sidebar if I scroll down to the bottom ("retailer offers": 5% on Waitrose, with "NEW" across the corner of the link box). I haven't had any messages or emails about this and there's no announcement as you log in. I'd never have noticed this without MSE.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 5th Nov 14, 7:08 PM
    • 5,247 Posts
    • 2,630 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 5th Nov 14, 7:08 PM
    • 5th Nov 14, 7:08 PM
    Same here. I suspect they're hoping existing customers will miss these offers but that won't stop them hyping it up as a "feature" to lure in new customers.

Don't forget this is Santander - worst for customer service for years. Only the 123 account seems to have changed its fortunes recently but bank leopards do not quickly change their spots.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 5th Nov 14, 7:29 PM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 10,333 Thanks
    colsten
    • 5th Nov 14, 7:29 PM
    • 5th Nov 14, 7:29 PM
    Same here. I suspect they're hoping existing customers will miss these offers but that won't stop them hyping it up as a "feature" to lure in new customers.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    How are they going to "hype it" without existing customers noticing?

Don't forget this is Santander - worst for customer service for years. Only the 123 account seems to have changed its fortunes recently but bank leopards do not quickly change their spots.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    It's time the anti-Santander brigade got into 2014. The 123 current account is one of the UK's most popular accounts, even by MSE poll results.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 5th Nov 14, 7:33 PM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 10,333 Thanks
    colsten
    • 5th Nov 14, 7:33 PM
    • 5th Nov 14, 7:33 PM
    But why didn't I hear this from Santander?

When I'm logged in, there's a link in the sidebar if I scroll down to the bottom ("retailer offers": 5% on Waitrose, with "NEW" across the corner of the link box). I haven't had any messages or emails about this and there's no announcement as you log in. I'd never have noticed this without MSE.
    Originally posted by muddlemand
    Do you expect banks to tell you every time they add something to their website? And do you rely on MSE to tell you about new features and T&C changes on your bank account?

BTW, the offer has been talked about on the forum for a week: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5101330&page=2
    • zerog
    • By zerog 5th Nov 14, 7:36 PM
    • 2,432 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    zerog
    • 5th Nov 14, 7:36 PM
    • 5th Nov 14, 7:36 PM
    Do you expect banks to tell you every time they add something to their website?
    Originally posted by colsten
    Actually, yes, if I've opted in to marketing emails etc etc

This is a major addition, not a minor aesthetic fix.

And do you rely on MSE to tell you about new features and T&C changes on your bank account?
    Nothing wrong with that, although people do need to take responsibility for themselves - but the bank needs to tell you if it could potentially be detrimental anyway
    • Fruit and Nut Case
    • By Fruit and Nut Case 5th Nov 14, 8:16 PM
    • 3,982 Posts
    • 2,973 Thanks
    Fruit and Nut Case
    • 5th Nov 14, 8:16 PM
    • 5th Nov 14, 8:16 PM
    Here's the already existing thread about Santander Retail Offers.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    • muddlemand
    • By muddlemand 5th Nov 14, 9:52 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    muddlemand
    • 5th Nov 14, 9:52 PM
    • 5th Nov 14, 9:52 PM
    The 123 current account is one of the UK's most popular accounts, even by MSE poll results.
    Well, anecdotally: I've had a Santander account for about 4 years and the 123 for about 18 months. I did have a cluster of errors (mainly communication errors) last year, but not before or since, and they compensated me quite generously when I hadn't thought to ask for compensation - was only expecting explanation / apology. I may be the odd one out but when I switched to Santander, MSE was saying its customer service seemed to be turning a corner.

In fact I've had far more serious mistakes made (mainly around confidentiality) by Barclays, and in fewer months' experience of them, and they cleared up their mess far less well - in fact they didn't completely clear things up.

If I hadn't heard Santander's poor reputation, I wouldn't have that impression from my own experience. Mind you their website is pretty clunky and its recent refurb hasn't changed a thing in terms of user-friendliness, it'spurely cosmetic, for which they probably waste a fair bit of (our!) money on posh design consultants.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 5th Nov 14, 9:56 PM
    • 5,247 Posts
    • 2,630 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . It's time the anti-Santander brigade got into 2014. The 123 current account is one of the UK's most popular accounts, even by MSE poll results.
    Just because one account is attractive doesn't necessarily mean that customer service as a whole has improved. It is true that the 123 account has helped to lift the overall customer rating somewhat but I wouldn't say customer service has changed much.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • muddlemand
    • By muddlemand 5th Nov 14, 10:09 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    muddlemand
    Do you expect banks to tell you every time they add something to their website? And do you rely on MSE to tell you about new features and T&C changes on your bank account?

BTW, the offer has been talked about on the forum for a week: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5101330&page=2
    I rely on the bank to tell me about T&C changes, and they're legally required to which makes T&Cs a whole different thing. As for adding things, this is a feature added to the accounts, not only the website. It's very normal to have to click through a message during login that tells you about something new. Barclays told me about their equivalent...

And BTW, I don't hang out on these forums, I efficiently scan the weekly newsletter for what matters to me. I pop in here with the occasional question or helpful comment.

I suppose Santander forgetting to mention this new perk to its customers is an example of its famous poor customer service!
  • spiro123
    I think an email to their customers would be nice.
    • muddlemand
    • By muddlemand 5th Nov 14, 10:16 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    muddlemand
    I think an email to their customers would be nice.
    Originally posted by spiro123
    Yes, it's not as if it's obvious once you're logged in. But then neither are messages - a tiny sentence "You have 0 new messages" or "You have 1 new messages" in normal font size, far from obvious, and ONLY on the landing page; the messages link doesn't change colour or go bold when there's a new one. So the revamp has annoyed me because that, like other things, still requires lots of clicks and remembering to think of it.
    • Archi Bald
    • By Archi Bald 5th Nov 14, 10:39 PM
    • 9,376 Posts
    • 7,432 Thanks
    Archi Bald
    You seem to be very unhappy with Santander, so perhaps it's time to move to somewhere better? The 7-day CASS makes it very easy to switch.

As to Santander telling their existing customers about their new cashback offer, which I think is nothing more than a gimmick: I do not want any emails or letters or extra splash screens when logging in as all this costs money that I'd rather see in cashback or interest.

I am quite happy to see the new offer blinking at me on the main landing page, and I have happily collected my 10% discount at Waitrose. No other offers that are relevant to me as yet, and I am confident I will survive if I never get another one.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 5th Nov 14, 11:02 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    I do hate these so called tailored deals when the banks think they are doing you a favor.

Well do not shop at Waitrose, out of my price range.

New Look, wrong sex and demographically too old.

Do not want to hire a car.

Sparfinder, do not make me laugh. They will not have enough polly filler on site to smooth my cracks.

Hungryhouse, maybe.

Heals?. who are they?

Loads of other companies do deals like these.

Santander are most probably on a percentage of how much custom that the above brands get from the promo.

Cynical, yes. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 5th Nov 14, 11:28 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    The only thing I will use is the 5% cashback for Waitrose, but it only lasts until 30th November.

The Waitrose offer is amusing. Since I get 1% normally, does this mean I will get 5 + 1 = 6%? Not that it matters. I struggle to buy £10 worth on Sundays just so I can get the Sunday Times for free. Oddly, the £2.50 of the Sunday Times counts towards the £10, so I only really have to buy £7.50 worth of stuff. With four Sundays to go, this means I will spend around £40, so the 5% cashback is worth £2. To get the maximum £10 cashback, I will have to start buying the over priced stuff. I can get oxtails at half the price elsewhere, because it's frozen, but after three hours stewing, I don't think the Waitrose fresh ones are any better.

The 15% Hungry House offer is full of order minimums like £10, £15. None of the good takeaway places around here are listed. There is this Chinese restaurant full of bad reviews, which I stopped going to 20 years ago, because they changed management and certainly the chef. I can get a good takeaway for around £6, but none of them are listed.

I have registered, but £2 cashback is not worth getting excited over.
    • spikyone
    • By spikyone 6th Nov 14, 7:40 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    spikyone
    With four Sundays to go, this means I will spend around £40, so the 5% cashback is worth £2
    Originally posted by Pincher

Afraid not - you only get the cashback on "your next purchase"; it's a one-use offer and you'll only end up with 50p...
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 6th Nov 14, 7:50 AM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 644 Thanks
    Roger1
    The offer is apparently available to all current debit and credit cardholders apart from Cahoot and business cards - and me.

I tried to register my Santander Zero card and the registration page wouldn't recognise the number.

OK, the card is no longer available to new customers, but it's a valid card and it works.
    • phona
    • By phona 6th Nov 14, 8:44 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    phona
    This thread was the first I'd heard of it too. I don't log in to Santander online banking often; just when my statement is produced. I think (hope) I would've noticed it next time I was in though!

I just have the Waitrose offer. I have never been to Waitrose; though I'm far south enough that I could go. I've heard it's more expensive than other supermarkets so that 10% might not go too far.
    Thanks anyway, Santander.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 6th Nov 14, 8:47 AM
    • 21,395 Posts
    • 15,653 Thanks
    molerat
    I have one offer but driving 180 miles to my closest Waitrose is a bit of a non starter !
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

180Posts Today

1,588Users online

Martin's Twitter