Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 29th Oct 14, 9:55 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com launches the 10 day big winter switch event
    • 29th Oct 14, 9:55 AM
    MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com launches the 10 day big winter switch event 29th Oct 14 at 9:55 AM
    We've negotiated tariffs cheaper than then cheapest energy deals using the power of our nine million email recipients...

Read the full story:

MoneySavingExpert.com launches the 10 day big winter switch event

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • canterswest
    • By canterswest 29th Oct 14, 11:36 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    canterswest
    • 29th Oct 14, 11:36 AM
    • 29th Oct 14, 11:36 AM
    Will another supplier run a ten day discount with another intermediary that is cheaper than MSE's collective switch? Not much that MSE could do then to protect its claim to be cheapest. PRICE WARS although good for consumers in the short term and good for intermediaries in the short and long term can be bad for investment and consumers in the long term, think buses. Did MSE have cheaper bids but limited quantity? How has it picked the winning tariffs? £30 cashback says it's for those who have not switched through MSE over the past 12 months, should have included that in the blurb, not hidden in the small print. MSE's subscribers may be members of the 'CHEAP' Energy Club so already on cheap prices. Society needs to find a way to bring down standard prices imo and especially prices for the most vulnerable for what is a life saving resource.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 29th Oct 14, 11:39 AM
    • 13,475 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 29th Oct 14, 11:39 AM
    Be aware that using the comparisons may show a cheaper rate but you need to include any early exit penalties and stuff like no warm home discount scheme .
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 29th Oct 14, 11:39 AM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    As far as I can see, my current supplier is still cheaper with my usage and no exit penalty.
    • moneyfoolish
    • By moneyfoolish 29th Oct 14, 11:59 AM
    • 536 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    moneyfoolish
    • 29th Oct 14, 11:59 AM
    • 29th Oct 14, 11:59 AM
    I'm not happy with the figures shown on this at all! I've recently switched to the EON Collective Fixed 1 Year September 2014 Plan. When I looked at the figures provided by The Cheap Energy Club it told me I could save £184 by switching to the EON MSE Fixed 1 Year Plan. However, it told me my current plan costs are £1459 for the year. I almost switched but decided to look at some other comparison sites and found that according to USWITCH my current plan costs are £1319 for a year and according to ENERGYHELPLINE my current plan costs are £1309 using exactly the same figures! The £1319 figure would give me a saving of £44 and the £1309 of £34 which is a lot different to £184!! Surely MSE is not in the business of providing innacurate figures to encourage people to switch?
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 29th Oct 14, 12:03 PM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 29th Oct 14, 12:03 PM
    • 29th Oct 14, 12:03 PM
    As far as I can see, my current supplier is still cheaper with my usage and no exit penalty.
    Originally posted by CashStrapped
    Same here (except I have an early exit penalty fee)

Congrats, you're already on a cheap deal
    and

MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch Online | Fixed for 12 months ... Will cost you more than you pay now
    We've negotiated tariffs cheaper than then cheapest energy deals using the power of our nine million email recipients......
    Originally posted by MSE Helen
    Just looked at the price of gas and compared it to E.on existing offering (this was based on Eastern region ... not sure if it varies by region) ... I'm not currently with Eon, just comparing for interest.

Eon MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch Online | Fixed for 12 months
    Unit rate 3.496p per kWh
    Standing charge 21.903p per day

Eon Fixed 1 Year v12
    Unit rate 3.392p per kWh

Both tariffs appear to offer £20 dual fuel discount
    Both tariffs have a £5 (per fuel) early exit penalty.
    MSE tariff appears to offer £5 online discount as well

So unless you use less than 5000kWh (average is what? 13500kWh?) of gas per year, would such a customer not be better of on the Eon Fixed 1 Year v12 (at least for gas. Not sure you can take just gas with either of these tariffs but the gas on the MSE tariff is more expensive, surely?)?
    Last edited by footyguy; 29-10-2014 at 12:08 PM.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 29th Oct 14, 12:18 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 3,053 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 29th Oct 14, 12:18 PM
    • 29th Oct 14, 12:18 PM
    You really do have to do your own sums based on what you use and the actual unit prices - headline rates are there to entice you in and frequently assume that you'll be switched to your existing suppliers standard variable tariff when your present fixed tariff ends. Likewise TCR are there to help you make a comparison but are only correct if you use exactly the national averages.

It's up to you to properly check what you are going to pay to see if you are actually going to be better off.

Perhaps it's time that schools started teaching kids how to calculate & read their own energy bills (probably more useful than learning German or Chinese) - it's not hard but you'd think it was higher rocket science the mess some people get into
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 29th Oct 14, 12:25 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,537 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 29th Oct 14, 12:25 PM
    • 29th Oct 14, 12:25 PM
    It's up to you to properly check what you are going to pay to see if you are actually going to be better off.
    Perhaps it's time that schools started teaching kids how to calculate & read their own energy bills (probably more useful than learning German or Chinese) - it's not hard but you'd think it was higher rocket science the mess some people get into
    Originally posted by matelodave

Bit harsh.

We don't expect Martin Lewis to tell us his tariff is the cheapest of the lot (when it isn't):
    we've negotiated tariffs cheaper than the cheapest energy deals using the power of the 9m recipients of our weekly email and the 1.2m members of Cheap Energy Club.
    by Martin Lewis
    • canterswest
    • By canterswest 29th Oct 14, 12:27 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    canterswest
    • 29th Oct 14, 12:27 PM
    • 29th Oct 14, 12:27 PM
    Prices need to be simpler, like milk prices.

The milk most of us buy (standard) is cheapest and most of us can tell you what a litre costs.

Fancy milk like Jeresy is more expensive.

Energy prices are the opposite, standard prices are highest, competition is focused on short term limited offer cheaper tariffs that few people can buy.

That is where energy prices should get to through regulation.

Intermediaries can do little, they lead to poor products (encourage frequent switching, complicate prices by including incentives). Intermediaries are marketeers making a profit for themselves which is a cost on consumers and not the same as consumers acting in their own interests.
    Last edited by canterswest; 29-10-2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Clarification
    • scofra
    • By scofra 29th Oct 14, 12:27 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    scofra
    WARNING: Security issue or slow processing?
    Today, I tried to switch energy supplier via MSE/ Utilities Phones tab/ CheapenergyClub link and I am worried that my details haven't been processed, or worse: were actually collected for fraud purposes.
    I filled in information (for E-On)as name, address, d.o.b and bank account name+sort code+number. Once I cliked the "Process switch" button at the end, I saw the screen acknowledging that a switch was initiated (should have taken screen shot...!!!).
    However, I still haven't received the automated acknowledging email from MSE. Also, when I log into my CheapEnergyClub account: there is no message informing me a switch having been initiated and I can run a price comparison as usual. So, either I clicked on a link that led to fraudulent site, or the MSE process is unusually slow... Anyone from MSE able to help, please? Will update.
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 29th Oct 14, 12:50 PM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    What disgraceful behaviour - started filling it in but then discovered not only postcode but address, name, email, everything required - no comparison or details of the deal available.

If the tariffs are such brilliant deals why is MSE shoddily not showing them?
  • lrh
    Just looked at the price of gas and compared it to E.on existing offering (this was based on Eastern region ... not sure if it varies by region) ... I'm not currently with Eon, just comparing for interest.

Eon MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch Online | Fixed for 12 months
    Unit rate 3.496p per kWh

Eon Fixed 1 Year v12
    Unit rate 3.392p per kWh
    Originally posted by footyguy
    Eon site today quotes
    E.ON Fixed 1 year v12
    Unit rate 3.528 not 3.392
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 29th Oct 14, 12:51 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Hi Scofra

We've picked up your email via the Energy Club help form and our technical team are currently looking into the details of your application to understand what is causing the glitch in updating your Energy Club account.

However, I'd like to reassure you about the privacy of informaton submitted on the application page. This page is protected by VeriSign the latest in Internet security standards, to ensure that any data you send to us online is secure.

As soon a I hear back from our technical team, I'll ensure that we reply to your email.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 29th Oct 14, 1:00 PM
    • 27,995 Posts
    • 13,847 Thanks
    Cardew
    What disgraceful behaviour - started filling it in but then discovered not only postcode but address, name, email, everything required - no comparison or details of the deal available.

Originally posted by Nada666

I couldn't agree more!

I do not want to give my full personal details in order to get a quote - why will my postcode not suffice?
    • canterswest
    • By canterswest 29th Oct 14, 1:02 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    canterswest
    Price

MSE needs these details because prices vary apparently depending on your region and your usage. A price is not accurate unless it is your personal price. I don't know if this is still the case since Ofgem changed the numbers of tariffs that suppliers can charge.

An easy way to delete your registration would work for those who want a quote but not to sign up for Cheap Energy Club.

Richard Lloyd, Which? is on Radio 4 with Paul Lewis this afternoon.

I hope he is asked why Which charged consumers £40 for its collective switch and MSE is doing it with a profit it hopes charging consumers £11

Is Which? so called consumer champion rubbish at consumer offers, just good at talking about them on the radio!
    Last edited by canterswest; 29-10-2014 at 1:08 PM. Reason: Typos
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 29th Oct 14, 1:04 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    MSE Dan L

Hi Nada666

We need your full address details so that we can provide you with accurate results (as Energy prices vary according to your supply region).

Cheap Energy Club works a little differently from other comparison sites, as not only do we provide details of all tariffs available on the market, but we'll also monitor your costs in the background (as new tariffs are launching all the time). Then if we find a cheaper tariff (you can select an appropriate saving amount e.g. £50), we'll send you an email alert.

Once you've provided these details you'll be able to see personalised results based on your current tariff and usage.

I hope that explanation helps.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 29th Oct 14, 1:04 PM
    • 27,995 Posts
    • 13,847 Thanks
    Cardew
    Eon site today quotes
    E.ON Fixed 1 year v12
    Unit rate 3.528 not 3.392
    Originally posted by lrh

Could the rates vary in different areas of UK?

For instance mine in the Midlands on that tariff is 3.476p per kWh
    Last edited by Cardew; 29-10-2014 at 1:11 PM.
  • lrh
    I am already on an EON 1 year fix which ends in a few weeks.
    Will the EON MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch Online be available to existing EON customers, or will E.ON reject it?
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 29th Oct 14, 1:11 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Will the EON MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch Online be available to existing EON customers, or will E.ON reject it?
    Originally posted by lrh
    The tariff is available to existing Eon customers - plus you'll also be eligible for the cashback (£15 per fuel)
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 29th Oct 14, 1:16 PM
    • 27,995 Posts
    • 13,847 Thanks
    Cardew
    Hi Nada666

We need your full address details so that we can provide you with accurate results (as Energy prices vary according to your supply region).

Cheap Energy Club works a little differently from other comparison sites, as not only do we provide details of all tariffs available on the market, but we'll also monitor your costs in the background (as new tariffs are launching all the time). Then if we find a cheaper tariff (you can select an appropriate saving amount e.g. £50), we'll send you an email alert.

Once you've provided these details you'll be able to see personalised results based on your current tariff and usage.

I hope that explanation helps.
    Originally posted by MSE Dan L

So why not just postcode and email address?

Also why not make the 'alert' optional?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

4,452Users online

Martin's Twitter