Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 21st Oct 14, 12:43 PM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: Upgraded your Halifax account? This may not be reflected in your credit fil
    • 21st Oct 14, 12:43 PM
    MSE News: Upgraded your Halifax account? This may not be reflected in your credit fil 21st Oct 14 at 12:43 PM
    If you've upgraded your Easycash Halifax Account to a Reward Account, your credit file may not be updated due to IT bug

Read the full story:

Upgraded your Halifax account? This may not be reflected in your credit file

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 21st Oct 14, 2:36 PM
    • 4,702 Posts
    • 1,533 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 21st Oct 14, 2:36 PM
    • 21st Oct 14, 2:36 PM
    The commentary in MSE is getting more far fetched by the day!

There is no (legal or otherwise) requirement to log account data with the CRAs.
    Banks can do this in the T&Cs, but they are not obliged to do so.
    Last edited by Heng Leng; 21-10-2014 at 2:40 PM.
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 21st Oct 14, 3:16 PM
    • 5,047 Posts
    • 6,634 Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    • 21st Oct 14, 3:16 PM
    • 21st Oct 14, 3:16 PM
    I don't like the fact current accounts are reported so this would suit me just fine.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 21st Oct 14, 3:41 PM
    • 8,316 Posts
    • 10,685 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 21st Oct 14, 3:41 PM
    • 21st Oct 14, 3:41 PM
    Those who upgraded and then mismanaged their accounts could be seen as "winners" then.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 21st Oct 14, 4:31 PM
    • 10,311 Posts
    • 9,488 Thanks
    colsten
    • 21st Oct 14, 4:31 PM
    • 21st Oct 14, 4:31 PM
    MSE's advice to add a NOC would mean that each application is likely to bounce at the first hurdle as manual intervention will be required to analyse the NOC. Some firms may not find it worth the costs of manual intervention and just turn down an application which otherwise might well have sailed through. People should be aware of this before they ask for a NOC.

Add a notice of correction to your credit file(s). Contact the credit reference agency to add a notice of correction to the file explaining the problem - be concise and factual.
    I also notice what appear to be a couple of misunderstandings in what the anonymous lady reported:
    She says: "Since January 2013 I had gone along quite happily assuming my credit score was getting better each month as Halifax had advised this would be the case. It was only when I applied for a credit card (and was refused) that I got the shock that I wasn't even being scored.

"Halifax didn't tell me was it was having problems and that my credit score would not actually be reported at all. I have spent several months trying to sort this out and hours and hours on the phone to them. This has been so very hard."
    Has she not been told there is no such thing as a universal credit score? I find it hard to believe Halifax advised her the non-existent score would get better every month (although bad advice by bank employees is not unheard of). Also, Halifax never report any score to a CRA, and neither do other banks. The banks tell CRAs what the account balances are and whether there are any missed payments. It's the CRAs that work out some score that is at best an indication of credit worthiness but more likely a meaningless number. For more details, see this MSE article.

Why did she spend hours and hours on the phone, why didn't she put her complaint in writing? Why did she not escalate her complaint, either to the Halifax Executives or to the FOS?

Why, if "the score" was so important to her, did she assume rather than verify what was on her credit files?
    • stclair
    • By stclair 21st Oct 14, 6:18 PM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 3,459 Thanks
    stclair
    • 21st Oct 14, 6:18 PM
    • 21st Oct 14, 6:18 PM
    This news is aload of dross.

Banks are not obliged to share information with the CRAs

I have two Lloyds accounts and NatWest ones that do not report to the CRAs.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • GingerFurball
    • By GingerFurball 21st Oct 14, 7:33 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    GingerFurball
    • 21st Oct 14, 7:33 PM
    • 21st Oct 14, 7:33 PM
    None of my financial providers report to Equifax. Who can I sue?
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
    • pinkdalek
    • By pinkdalek 21st Oct 14, 8:47 PM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    pinkdalek
    • 21st Oct 14, 8:47 PM
    • 21st Oct 14, 8:47 PM
    1st World Issues......

People dying from disease, war raging in the middle east, famine, racism, prejudices and this is really a hot topic of discussion?

Be grateful for what you have.
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 21st Oct 14, 9:16 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    • 21st Oct 14, 9:16 PM
    • 21st Oct 14, 9:16 PM
    "Complain to the Financial Ombudsman. Tell it that this issue is out of your control and is having an adverse effect on your credit file."

That would be a complete lie... It's not having an adverse effect, it's having no effect. Big difference.

1st World Issues......

People dying from disease, war raging in the middle east, famine, racism, prejudices and this is really a hot topic of discussion?

Originally posted by pinkdalek
    Using your ridiculous criteria, none of us would be able to talk about almost everything... "Did you see the game last night?" "How could you possibly talk about football when people are dying of Ebola!"
    • stclair
    • By stclair 21st Oct 14, 9:55 PM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 3,459 Thanks
    stclair
    So in a nutshell then are mse saying if your account is not reported to the CRAs you should take the matter the ombudsman?

I would be interested to here the experians reps take on this?
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • d123
    • By d123 21st Oct 14, 9:57 PM
    • 7,752 Posts
    • 5,049 Thanks
    d123
    1st World Issues......

Originally posted by pinkdalek
    LOL

Should we close down all discussion boards until a cure for all diseases is found, there is peace in the Middle East, everyone has food and racism and prejudice has disappeared from the world?
    ====
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 22nd Oct 14, 12:58 PM
    • 4,702 Posts
    • 1,533 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    More to the point, there is no evidence that the OP was actually affected by the lack of reporting at all.

If the loan provider didn't believe she had a current account, they could have asked for a statement or even a letter from Halifax.

As they say in The Supranos MSE is now 'Always with the drama!'

LOL

Should we close down all discussion boards until a cure for all diseases is found, there is peace in the Middle East, everyone has food and racism and prejudice has disappeared from the world?
    Originally posted by d123
    • pinkdalek
    • By pinkdalek 22nd Oct 14, 8:15 PM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    pinkdalek
    "Complain to the Financial Ombudsman. Tell it that this issue is out of your control and is having an adverse effect on your credit file."

That would be a complete lie... It's not having an adverse effect, it's having no effect. Big difference.

Using your ridiculous criteria, none of us would be able to talk about almost everything... "Did you see the game last night?" "How could you possibly talk about football when people are dying of Ebola!"
    Originally posted by callum9999
    Can't believe you took my comment so serious

The news article is trivial and pointless, a financial organisation has offered its customers potentially a better product than their original and all can be moaned about is because it isn't shown on their precious credit file. As others have correctly stated the financial organisation is not obliged to log anything with CRAs.

But imagine instead of paying Experian each month for everyone to make sure their precious rating is still at 999, why not send that money to a charitable organisation that can help others.
    • GingerFurball
    • By GingerFurball 3rd Nov 14, 9:29 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    GingerFurball
    So in a nutshell then are mse saying if your account is not reported to the CRAs you should take the matter the ombudsman?

I would be interested to here the experians reps take on this?
    Originally posted by stclair
    Here's one such case from the Ombudsman, which wasn't upheld:
    http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewPDF.aspx?FileID=55839

In a nutshell; annoying for the customer but since no bank is compelled to report any data to a CRA, there's !!!! all the Ombudsman can do.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

240Posts Today

2,336Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin