Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 16th Oct 14, 10:31 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: First £12 green levy rebate to come on your next electricity bill
    • 16th Oct 14, 10:31 AM
    MSE News: First £12 green levy rebate to come on your next electricity bill 16th Oct 14 at 10:31 AM
    Electricity customers will get a £12 rebate off their next energy bill as a result of Government moves to lower costs

Read the full story:

First £12 green levy rebate to come on your next electricity bill'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Makeandsave
    • By Makeandsave 16th Oct 14, 10:39 AM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 32,699 Thanks
    Makeandsave
    • 16th Oct 14, 10:39 AM
    • 16th Oct 14, 10:39 AM
    Along with the rebate comes a price rise no doubt!
    May wins: £10 winneroo, In the city book, Scrabble game. 2 bottles of gin liqueur.
    • Andy_WSM
    • By Andy_WSM 16th Oct 14, 10:47 AM
    • 2,145 Posts
    • 4,566 Thanks
    Andy_WSM
    • 16th Oct 14, 10:47 AM
    • 16th Oct 14, 10:47 AM
    £12 a year?

£1 a month!

Not even a first class stamp per day.

Thanks Gov. Sometimes it would just be better if they stopped meddling.

• lstar337
    • By lstar337 16th Oct 14, 10:50 AM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 16th Oct 14, 10:50 AM
    • 16th Oct 14, 10:50 AM
    Along with the rebate comes a price rise no doubt!
    Originally posted by Makeandsave
    Not on a fixed deal.
    • billbennett
    • By billbennett 16th Oct 14, 11:24 AM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    billbennett
    • 16th Oct 14, 11:24 AM
    • 16th Oct 14, 11:24 AM
    Saw a £12 credit on my account a couple of days ago, and wondered what it was. Now I know!
    In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
    • spikyone
    • By spikyone 16th Oct 14, 12:59 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    spikyone
    • 16th Oct 14, 12:59 PM
    • 16th Oct 14, 12:59 PM
    £12 a year?

£1 a month!

Not even a first class stamp per day.

Thanks Gov. Sometimes it would just be better if they stopped meddling.
    Originally posted by Andy_WSM

Some people will complain about anything - better that it's in your pocket than theirs. In reality we should not be paying the levy in the first place, and it would be far better if the government stopped using "environmental" issues as an excuse for taxes.
    • r2015
    • By r2015 16th Oct 14, 1:01 PM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    r2015
    • 16th Oct 14, 1:01 PM
    • 16th Oct 14, 1:01 PM
    What about customers who have just swapped their gas and electricity, is it paid via their old or new supplier?
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 16th Oct 14, 1:16 PM
    • 4,135 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 16th Oct 14, 1:16 PM
    • 16th Oct 14, 1:16 PM
    What about customers who have just swapped their gas and electricity, is it paid via their old or new supplier?
    Originally posted by r2015
    Whichever electricity supplier that was supplying you on 12 October 2014 will pay you this year's £12.
    Last edited by footyguy; 16-10-2014 at 4:59 PM. Reason: Date changed. It seems the CAB site is wrong
    • Smiley Dan
    • By Smiley Dan 16th Oct 14, 2:06 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Smiley Dan
    • 16th Oct 14, 2:06 PM
    • 16th Oct 14, 2:06 PM
    Some people will complain about anything - better that it's in your pocket than theirs. In reality we should not be paying the levy in the first place, and it would be far better if the government stopped using "environmental" issues as an excuse for taxes.
    Originally posted by spikyone
    Agree that the scheme is arcane, but the UK's building stock is going to have to be fixed (made more energy efficient) somehow.

You can either pay for it yourself, or Government will tax you to offer incentives to do it yourself. I prefer the former but that's not a possibility for everyone, hence ECO and the like.
    • Andy_WSM
    • By Andy_WSM 16th Oct 14, 2:37 PM
    • 2,145 Posts
    • 4,566 Thanks
    Andy_WSM
    It should never have been refunded. The money should be used to help finance the next generation of nuclear plants, rather than outsourcing to China or for continuing to invest in renewables.

The only reason we are being given back pennies a day is to win votes. Isn't it obvious?!

• spikyone
    • By spikyone 16th Oct 14, 2:44 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    spikyone
    Agree that the scheme is arcane, but the UK's building stock is going to have to be fixed (made more energy efficient) somehow.

You can either pay for it yourself, or Government will tax you to offer incentives to do it yourself. I prefer the former but that's not a possibility for everyone, hence ECO and the like.
    Originally posted by Smiley Dan
    Quite, and this is the problem with almost all benefits - robbing Peter to pay Peter (sic), whilst massively devaluing what you've robbed by putting it through a dozen layers of administration before it gets back where it started. Not to mention the costs of reporting by energy companies and enforcement/monitoring by Ofgem, which end up being paid by the same customers.

How this kind of scheme ever gets introduced is beyond me.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 16th Oct 14, 2:57 PM
    • 12,363 Posts
    • 5,572 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Ovo fixed tariff.
    During October and November this year, we're giving all our domestic electricity customers
    £12 credit - this is your Government Electricity Rebate. Find out more at
    www.ovoenergy.com/help-info/faqs
    • spikyone
    • By spikyone 16th Oct 14, 2:57 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    spikyone
    It should never have been refunded. The money should be used to help finance the next generation of nuclear plants, rather than outsourcing to China or for continuing to invest in renewables.

The only reason we are being given back pennies a day is to win votes. Isn't it obvious?!
    Originally posted by Andy_WSM
    Is that after we re-nationalise power generation, or do you genuinely advocate using our taxes to pay for private companies' capital?

I can't imagine anyone's vote next May being swayed by getting £24 back on their energy. Judging from the reaction on here, a large number of people had no idea it was happening...
    • stewie_griffin
    • By stewie_griffin 16th Oct 14, 4:40 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    stewie_griffin
    Whichever electricity supplier that was supplying you on 08 October 2014 will pay you this year's £12.
    Originally posted by footyguy
    Sorry to be pedantic but it's the 12th not the 8th:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/360601/ger_supplier_guidance.pdf

All the important dates are on page 7.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 16th Oct 14, 4:51 PM
    • 4,135 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    Sorry to be pedantic but it's the 12th not the 8th:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/360601/ger_supplier_guidance.pdf

All the important dates are on page 7.
    Originally posted by stewie_griffin
    I got my info from the CAB website
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/news/whats_new_oct14_electricity_rebate.htm

It says the 8th - they will start crediting from the 12th.

Not sure why, because the site they link to does indeed state 12 October 2014 and 11 October 2015
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-programmes/electricity-rebate-programmes/government-electricity-rebate-ger

(I've now amended my previous post - thanks)

I got my credit on the 12th ... but then I guess that is the advantage of being with a small supplier who doesn't have millions of accounts to sort out.
    Last edited by footyguy; 16-10-2014 at 5:00 PM.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 16th Oct 14, 10:51 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    Says a lot when we all get a £12 rebate from the government.

But we do not get a reduction on our electricity rate from the utility companies even when the price of wholesale energy (gas, oil) has gone down in price.

Bet that the next price momement will be upwards.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 17th Oct 14, 7:15 AM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 10,286 Thanks
    wymondham
    if its a green rebate does this mean there's nothing more to do and climate change is now all sorted?
    • Bark01
    • By Bark01 17th Oct 14, 9:27 AM
    • 786 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    Bark01
    Says a lot when we all get a £12 rebate from the government.

But we do not get a reduction on our electricity rate from the utility companies even when the price of wholesale energy (gas, oil) has gone down in price.

Bet that the next price movement will be upwards.
    Originally posted by robin58
    No one will be putting up prices there is no justification for it. As you rightly say wholesale prices have fallen. We would be seeing ~5% decrease this winter if Labour hadn't announced their plan to freeze prices next year.

No supplier in their right minds would be reduce prices with that on the horizon. The dip in wholesale prices is just a small anomaly that should be wiped out towards the back end of 2015.
    Last edited by Bark01; 17-10-2014 at 9:29 AM.
    • VT82
    • By VT82 17th Oct 14, 9:52 AM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 877 Thanks
    VT82
    Quite, and this is the problem with almost all benefits - robbing Peter to pay Peter (sic), whilst massively devaluing what you've robbed by putting it through a dozen layers of administration before it gets back where it started. Not to mention the costs of reporting by energy companies and enforcement/monitoring by Ofgem, which end up being paid by the same customers.

How this kind of scheme ever gets introduced is beyond me.
    I like this summarya lot

Quite an administrative palaver being made for £12/£24! I'm all for getting money refunded, but I'm not a fan of this kind of micro-managey meddling
    • Steve059
    • By Steve059 17th Oct 14, 7:40 PM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 6,159 Thanks
    Steve059
    I have every faith in npower's ability to never fail to disappoint.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

868Posts Today

5,942Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin