Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 7th Oct 14, 1:41 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Green Deal fund to reopen with an extra £100m
    • 7th Oct 14, 1:41 PM
    MSE News: Green Deal fund to reopen with an extra £100m 7th Oct 14 at 1:41 PM
    An extra £100m will be added to the Green Deal Home Improvement Fund the Government has announced today

Read the full story:

Green Deal fund to reopen with an extra £100m

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 7th Oct 14, 1:50 PM
    • 7,263 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    • 7th Oct 14, 1:50 PM
    • 7th Oct 14, 1:50 PM
    Whoooooooo!

• savemoney
    • By savemoney 7th Oct 14, 2:47 PM
    • 13,203 Posts
    • 11,794 Thanks
    savemoney
    • 7th Oct 14, 2:47 PM
    • 7th Oct 14, 2:47 PM
    I got my fingers burnt last time and out of pocket for £150 survey. Suddenly went quite when Davey on radio was challenge by Martin about people loosing out, no sign of any compensation for any losses

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2014/08/moneysavingexpert-maintains-pressure-on-the-government-to-refund-those-hit-by-green-deal-cashback-closure

"In an interview on Radio 5 today, which followed MoneySavingExpert.com creator Martin Lewis's calls on the station yesterday, Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change Ed Davey suggested the Government has not completely ruled out refunding homeowners."
    Last edited by savemoney; 07-10-2014 at 2:50 PM.
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 7th Oct 14, 6:27 PM
    • 7,263 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    • 7th Oct 14, 6:27 PM
    • 7th Oct 14, 6:27 PM
    How were your fingers burnt?

• Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 7th Oct 14, 7:11 PM
    • 6,570 Posts
    • 4,904 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    • 7th Oct 14, 7:11 PM
    • 7th Oct 14, 7:11 PM
    Yes £60 mi££ion worth of vouchers were issued in the two days after SWI was slashed from £6k v to £4k per household and the fund was miraculously emptied of the £120 mi££ion. Someone might want to tell me who apart from installers [who may want to ‘sell’ them on to householders in their own time] can speculatively get their hands on £60 mi££ion of vouchers in 24 hours.

Does anyone have an explanation ?

'Vouchers went like hot cakes'
    Last edited by Richie-from-the-Boro; 07-10-2014 at 7:12 PM. Reason: Vouchers went like hot cakes'
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 7th Oct 14, 7:37 PM
    • 13,203 Posts
    • 11,794 Thanks
    savemoney
    • 7th Oct 14, 7:37 PM
    • 7th Oct 14, 7:37 PM
    I applied fairly early on when it went up from 4k to 6k. I then had problems finding a suitable company to do a survey because few are willing to come to my town.

Once I paid I had same issue no one wants to come to my town as they prefer someone closer ie living in large towns or cities apparently Scarborough with population over 50k and a dead end on coast is regarded for many as too far. By time I found someone who still hadn't come the offer had been closed.

Nearest companies are residing In Middlesborough, Leeds and York all over 40 miles away

I am not alone on this I have heard countless others with same problem companies cherry pick, I know you cant blame them but it leaves others me taking extra time to find someone.

So I am now out of pocket of £150 for a useless piece of paper in my eyes.

How were your fingers burnt?
    Originally posted by Alias_Omega
    Last edited by savemoney; 07-10-2014 at 7:41 PM.
    • pathsofdarkness
    • By pathsofdarkness 7th Oct 14, 9:20 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    pathsofdarkness
    • 7th Oct 14, 9:20 PM
    • 7th Oct 14, 9:20 PM
    I was luckily able to apply for the voucher 30 minutes before the GDHIF scheme closed.

We had 121 m2 of external solid wall insulation on our semi installed for £11.5k (£6k paid for by the voucher and the remaining £5.5k paid for by me). That includes VAT @ 5%.

One of the problems I had when getting quotes was how to compare the different quotes as each installer used different systems and there wasn't any guidance as to which was best.

Ended up using 90mm of expanded polystyrene (EPS) via the Weatherby system. Other systems were Webbers, Kreisel and Knauf but I had no idea how to compare properly. Some independent guidance from the Green Deal people would have been useful.

House is a lot cooler during the hot weather and retains the heat a lot longer during the recent cold nights when we turn the heating on, so all in all I think it was worth doing it.

I do wonder if I'll still be able to get some other GDHIF measures such as radiator valves once the scheme reopens again since I've already used the scheme for insulation already.
    Last edited by pathsofdarkness; 07-10-2014 at 9:34 PM.
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 7th Oct 14, 9:45 PM
    • 7,263 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    • 7th Oct 14, 9:45 PM
    • 7th Oct 14, 9:45 PM
    We need a Combi boiler, Double radiators, TRV's, Room thermostat..

£1650 for boiler installation, then 9 Radiators, TRV's, Room Stat.. so about £2500...with a local plumber

• Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 7th Oct 14, 10:34 PM
    • 6,570 Posts
    • 4,904 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    • 7th Oct 14, 10:34 PM
    • 7th Oct 14, 10:34 PM
    The new money as I understand it is £120 mi££ion [£50 mi££ion now the rest later] not £100 mi££ion. In England & Wales these rates should guarantee householders, landlords & tenants eligibility for a claim of up to £6k for SWI and up to £1k for any two out of the 12 other eligible improvements at their property. They could also claim up to an extra £500 if they have purchased the relevant property in the 12 months before making an application and up to an extra £100 towards the cost of a Green Deal Assessment. Households landlords & tenants receiving ECO funding will not be eligible for GDHIF funding on the same measures.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
    • captainhindsight
    • By captainhindsight 7th Oct 14, 11:52 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    captainhindsight
    At the moment we do not know what measures will qualify and how much. But rumours are 4k for SWI then 1k for 2 of twelve probably a similar list to last time but with out flue gas heat recovery. Hopefully something for off grid boilers, also I think it will include upgrading old double glazing instead of just single glazing maybe include loft insulation but I doubt it. Then the same 500 if work is done within 12 months and 100 back for the gdar.

RdSAP 9.2 is released early November, so I am guessing although GDARs do last for 2 years, some of the recommendations required for this new Cashback scheme will only be able to be recommended by a new GDAR such as upgrading old double glazing which will annoy a lot of people if it is the case.

The new recommendations with the new assessments are party walls, windows and lighting so maybe these will be included. But we won't know until November any way.

I would be cautious about rushing out now to get a gdar, I would recommend waiting until after 2nd November so you will get a new style Epc and oa.
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 8th Oct 14, 1:09 AM
    • 6,570 Posts
    • 4,904 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    My understanding is no legislated changes are going to be made to GDAR and GDIP's so as to make them the default roadmap for recommending ECO [carbon savings scheme elements]. So while their use will continue to offer tailor made advice specific to the household as it helps to develop a a market for efficiency measures householders are able to pay for. The use of GDAR recommended affordable warmth measures would only add significant time & cost to the process with no gain for the customer and as such would reduce affordable warmth activity in the market, particularly with the low income & vulnerable households.
    • captainhindsight
    • By captainhindsight 8th Oct 14, 8:32 AM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    captainhindsight
    My understanding is no legislated changes are going to be made to GDAR and GDIP's so as to make them the default roadmap for recommending ECO [carbon savings scheme elements]. So while their use will continue to offer tailor made advice specific to the household as it helps to develop a a market for efficiency measures householders are able to pay for. The use of GDAR recommended affordable warmth measures would only add significant time & cost to the process with no gain for the customer and as such would reduce affordable warmth activity in the market, particularly with the low income & vulnerable households.
    Originally posted by Richie-from-the-Boro
    You are right, but the foundation to a GDAR is the EPCs. The methodology And software used to create EPCs is being updated from Early November to make them more accurate this will allow the EPC and/or GDAR to make more recommendations than they can today.

One of the most popular things, I am guessing will be if you have old double glazing it will show a recommendation for new double or triple glazing which it will not do if you have an assessment today.

These changes will have an effect on all parts of the green deal

If you google rdsap 9.92 there is loads of information about the changes being made.

So if any one is booking an GDAR Or epc in preparation for this Cashback, it may be useful to have it done after the rdsap 9.92 update.
    • kam1ala
    • By kam1ala 8th Oct 14, 10:34 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kam1ala
    Energy Delas
    I tried to apply for a new boiler last year as i am on Working tax credits and my boiler is over 12 years old. Eco residential sent a representative who took ages to actually fine the serial number on my boiler, but said i definately qualified for a free boiler. He took picturs of the boiler and all the relevant paper work (to prove my circumstances) and off he went. After waiting a few weeks i rang up the company who said everything was fine and it was all being processed. This went on for a while so from my initial visit on the 12th July 2013 i still hadn't heard or had a new boiler fitted ny November. I then rang again and was informed that they had lost all my paperwork and would send someone else out. He took all the same photos, proved i qualified and off he went. When i rang the company they told me they had run out of money for terrece houses!!!. Exenergy got hold of me in January and offered me a free boiler andf they did the same checks and photos. Then suddenly it won't be free but charges for checking it is all safe, moving pipes, gas bonding etc etc. so i just wondered is the new scheme full proof and is it actually free if you are on benefits and if the boiler is over 12 years old and faulty??. Also are there any companies actually changing the boilers for free rather than the companies who keep ringing me offering me a new boiler up to the value of £1800
    • Smiley Dan
    • By Smiley Dan 8th Oct 14, 11:45 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Smiley Dan
    What I think we should get:

- Grants for EWI for all properties
    - Grants for CWI for all properties if you cannot afford EWI
    - Grants for loft insulation to any depth
    - Grants for triple glazing for all properties
    - Grants for external doors, whether you need one or more than one
    - Grants for heat recovery ventilation solutions

What we will actually get:

- CWI, if you can hop on one leg while reciting Ulysses
    - Five new external doors, if your name is Greg and you once lived in Dumbarton
    - Double glazing, if you currently only cling film over your window openings and the night of application is a full moon
  • AliceT
    I knew this would happen!
    We just bought our first home in July and were searching round (unsucessfully) for any help we could get as needed a new combination boiler, trvs, new double glazed back door and window as well as new double glazed patio doors (we have double glazing everywhere else) Our house is timber frame so no cavity wall insulation but I think we need loft.

We have just paid for a new boiler to be installed last weekend! Sods law! I take it we won't be able to apply retrospectively?

I was about to book in for the doors and window to be done- the window company now can't do until January. .. question is, do I wait to see what I can get or is it not worth it as we've already shelled out for the boiler and are only getting a couple of other bits done? (Which being in London is still very expensive)

I know ultimately we won't know until Nov what's on offer, but what's your opinion on what I should do? We're unexpectedly having to pay for a new kitchen as well so money is tight and any help we could get would be great!
    • captainhindsight
    • By captainhindsight 8th Oct 14, 8:23 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    captainhindsight
    I tried to apply for a new boiler last year as i am on Working tax credits and my boiler is over 12 years old. Eco residential sent a representative who took ages to actually fine the serial number on my boiler, but said i definately qualified for a free boiler. He took picturs of the boiler and all the relevant paper work (to prove my circumstances) and off he went. After waiting a few weeks i rang up the company who said everything was fine and it was all being processed. This went on for a while so from my initial visit on the 12th July 2013 i still hadn't heard or had a new boiler fitted ny November. I then rang again and was informed that they had lost all my paperwork and would send someone else out. He took all the same photos, proved i qualified and off he went. When i rang the company they told me they had run out of money for terrece houses!!!. Exenergy got hold of me in January and offered me a free boiler andf they did the same checks and photos. Then suddenly it won't be free but charges for checking it is all safe, moving pipes, gas bonding etc etc. so i just wondered is the new scheme full proof and is it actually free if you are on benefits and if the boiler is over 12 years old and faulty??. Also are there any companies actually changing the boilers for free rather than the companies who keep ringing me offering me a new boiler up to the value of £1800
    Originally posted by kam1ala
    This is a question for the free boilers thread, but in short there is no free boileer scheme and never has been. The hhcro Eco scheme, paid an amount for each unit of energy saved. In some circumstances this covered the full cost of the boiler, so 'free' but not in all circumstances. This price paid per unit fluctuates, at the moment it is very low, if you try again April next year this price per unit should be high and may cover the full cost or may require a small contribution
    • captainhindsight
    • By captainhindsight 8th Oct 14, 8:25 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    captainhindsight
    We just bought our first home in July and were searching round (unsucessfully) for any help we could get as needed a new combination boiler, trvs, new double glazed back door and window as well as new double glazed patio doors (we have double glazing everywhere else) Our house is timber frame so no cavity wall insulation but I think we need loft.

We have just paid for a new boiler to be installed last weekend! Sods law! I take it we won't be able to apply retrospectively?

I was about to book in for the doors and window to be done- the window company now can't do until January. .. question is, do I wait to see what I can get or is it not worth it as we've already shelled out for the boiler and are only getting a couple of other bits done? (Which being in London is still very expensive)

I know ultimately we won't know until Nov what's on offer, but what's your opinion on what I should do? We're unexpectedly having to pay for a new kitchen as well so money is tight and any help we could get would be great!
    Originally posted by AliceT
    It's worth waiting to see what is available, no one knows what money will be available or what for so it would be a shame to spend money that you don't have to just for waiting a few weeks.
    • ado
    • By ado 9th Oct 14, 8:41 AM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    ado
    I missed out during the last grant scheme and found that the info/service from installers was generally poor. I tried to get quotes from two big companies with one completely cocking up the booking process for a quote and the other not following their quote up. I then got a quote from another smaller local company which was considerable lower than that of the larger firm, however he was not green deal accredited and therefore could not deal with the grant. At that point the deal got withdrawn, but if its going to be reintroduced then I'll look into it again.
    • Coughlinfamily
    • By Coughlinfamily 9th Oct 14, 10:01 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Coughlinfamily
    I called British Gas this morning and paid for a green deal assessor to come next week after reading the info about the deal on the website... They are booked to come next week. My question is, is it worth waiting until after 2nd November to get the assessment as our biggest heat loss is the old double glazed windows? I read somewhere that there are new guidelines being put in place for assessors regarding their recommendations after this date?
  • Beatsme
    Green Deal External Wall Insulation........great if you are a wealthy landlord with lots of small mid terraced houses with tenants on low incomes (free boilers, free loft insulation, free assessments and the bulk of your External Wall Insulation paid by the state).

However if your on a modest or low income forget it.

Quoted £31,000 by the Mark Group to fit External Wall Insulation to 140 m2 of my end terraced house, that was to insulate the end wall only. Would have left me with a £25,000 bill after grant.

Local builder said he could build a solid brick wall with 100mm insulation cheaper which would last several hundred years longer than the 25 yr guarantee for the polystyrene cladding most of these companies are offering.

Doing the insulation internally DIY, no grant, no subsidised loans and no assistance from the state.

Green deal shambles........
    Last edited by Beatsme; 09-10-2014 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,039Posts Today

7,490Users online

Martin's Twitter