Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: How much do you think you spend on smoking in one month?

Under £50

25.86% • 30 votes

£50-£100

23.28% • 27 votes

£100-£150

14.66% • 17 votes

£150-£200

12.93% • 15 votes

£200-£250

7.76% • 9 votes

Over £250

15.52% • 18 votes

You may not vote on this poll

116 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Megan
    • By Former MSE Megan 22nd Sep 14, 1:04 PM
    • 412Posts
    • 1,578Thanks
    Former MSE Megan
    The Stoptober 2014 Challenge - How much will you save?
    • 22nd Sep 14, 1:04 PM
    The Stoptober 2014 Challenge - How much will you save? 22nd Sep 14 at 1:04 PM

This morning (Wed 1 October) we ran a celebrity twitter Q&A with Lee Nelson, a Stoptober ambassador on the hashtag #AskLeeNelson from our @MSE_Forum twitter account. Thank you to everyone who joined in

MSE Megan also visited one of the Stoptober Roadshows. She's blogged on both and you can read it here: Stoptober blog

Hi everyone,

Next month marks the start of Stoptober, the 28 day, stop smoking challenge. As cigarettes are getting increasingly pricier, Stoptober is a great opportunity to see how much you're really spending over the course of a month.

So here at MSE Towers we want to know if you're taking part in Stoptober and how much money you'll save.

The Challenge
    • Vote in the poll above with how much you think you spend on cigarettes a month and we'll run another one at the end of October to see how much you really saved.
    • From the 1st of October until the 28th of October, keep track of your progress in your signatures, eg. "My Stoptober savings so far: £55". Hopefully it'll help keep you on track if you have a reminder of your savings each time you post!
    • Use our Demotivator tool for those moments when you're in need of some support. Put your details in and it'll tell you how many weeks you'll work just to fund your smoking habit. It also works for those daily lattes or magazines, reminding you that it all adds up over time!

We'll also be cheering you on over on our Twitter account, MSE_Forum so send us a quick tweet if you're in need of some support.

Seeing as this is a forum challenge it wouldn't be right if MSE Badger wasn't involved. A new badge 'Stoptober Survivor' has been introduced, especially for this challenge.

All you have to do to get it is make it through Stoptober and track how much you save on this thread!

The Info

Here are some important links where you can find out more about Stoptober and how you can get involved. There's a free Stoptober starter pack to sign up for on their website which will help keep you on track

There's a week until it begins so you've got time to vote on our poll and to mentally prepare yourself if you're taking part!

Let me know if you're taking part and I'll add your name to the list below...

Stoptober 2014 Participants

1. Saver88
    2. lysz
    3. youth leader
    4. bella165
    5. sunshineyday
    6. OutofDebt-NOT-OutofDanger
    7. so very confused
    8. HPoirot
    9. monz
    10. Fergie42
    11.kittykat17
    12. Mystikia
    13. piglet25
    14. Baileysonice
    15. Rosieinthesnow
    16. Mullhon2
    17. thriftylynny
    18. jac53
    19. Dreaming_of_Kubera
    20. money maker
    21. Woodster76
    22. grandmasam
    23. CoffeeQueen
    24. crayola88
    25. Dondons
    26. Laurajo
    27. mandi
    28. Flutterby83
    29. merzal
    30. redfragglebiker
    31. jayjay21
    32. missmilly
    33. Bonfire Bride
    34. Annie6
    35. funkyfreks
    36. cydney65
    37. penny411
    38. Donnylover

Good luck Money Savers!

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Former MSE Megan; 20-10-2014 at 9:10 AM.
Page 10
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 7th Oct 14, 10:28 AM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE Blog: Protect your health and pocket by joining the Stoptober challenge
    "My dad has always been a smoker and Iíve always encouraged him to stop. So when Stoptober came up in a forum brainstorm session, I jumped on the chance to help run the campaign..."

Read MSE Megan's full blog:
    Protect your health and pocket by joining the Stoptober challenge

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

• Kitty777
    • By Kitty777 7th Oct 14, 10:59 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    Kitty777
    Hello everyone, I am not taking part as I already stopped but I just wanted to let you all know....

I decided to stop smoking on 31st december 2009. It was part of a new years resolution as none of my other friends smoked, it cost money and I smelt.
    I smoked roughly 60 a week...which meant £15 a week? Maybe more.
    In 3 years and 3months I had saved around £2500 give or take.
    In april 2013 I purchased my first car AND insured it with the
    money I had saved from smoking....Now that lovely green 2001 corsa sitting out in my drive is what can happen when you quit smoking
    • Former MSE Megan
    • By Former MSE Megan 7th Oct 14, 11:48 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 1,578 Thanks
    Former MSE Megan
    Hello everyone, I am not taking part as I already stopped but I just wanted to let you all know....

I decided to stop smoking on 31st december 2009. It was part of a new years resolution as none of my other friends smoked, it cost money and I smelt.
    I smoked roughly 60 a week...which meant £15 a week? Maybe more.
    In 3 years and 3months I had saved around £2500 give or take.
    In april 2013 I purchased my first car AND insured it with the
    money I had saved from smoking....Now that lovely green 2001 corsa sitting out in my drive is what can happen when you quit smoking
    Originally posted by Kitty777
    That's fantastic Kitty! You're a prime example of what you can do once you quit
    • funkyfreks
    • By funkyfreks 7th Oct 14, 1:41 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 6,828 Thanks
    funkyfreks
    I'm in.... Day 7 and never felt better! I'm going from 15 a day - COLD TURKEY! xxxx

Good Luck All!!

May good luck be your friend in whatever you do and may trouble be always a stranger to you.
    • Woodster76
    • By Woodster76 7th Oct 14, 4:38 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    Woodster76
    Day 7 - done.

£40.00 saved in those 7 days

Everyone should be pleased with themselves for getting through the first week.

Cravings are still there but I can now ignore them.

Hope everyone ok. X
    16/10/2016 £9176.11 paid off 13/01/2017

£1.50/300

2017 - £25 PayPal - SB 2016 - £75 Paypal - SB
  • GlynD
    For those of you using e-cigs: I stopped 5 months ago using this method but I bought a "shisha pipe" style which I fill with liquid myself and which I found to be much more effective than the ordinary e-cig which looks like a real cigarette.

There's also a lot to be said for getting the liquid which suits you best. Many shops now encourage people to try various liquids before purchasing. Once you've found the one you like you can order it in much cheaper from the web - from places like Mr E Cig. I'm currently spending about £8 a month for a liquid called Hangsen "RY4" as opposed to paying for smoking around 30 cigs a day for 35 years.

If anyone has any questions ask me and I'll try to help.

This is a picture of a shisha e-cig.
    • Flutterby83
    • By Flutterby83 7th Oct 14, 5:37 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    Flutterby83
    GlynD, that is what I'm using and have found it a great help so far and it's easier for me to disassociate with cigarettes as the liquids come in many flavours (I've found I prefer the sweeter ones!)

Day 6 already, feels like the times flown by! How is everyone doing? I've found I'm drinking more as my mouth is so dry (not sure if that's down to the change in weather though!) and I'm starting to find I'm actually feeling quite down as opposed to being happy that I've made a positive change to my life.....is this normal?? It's not necessarily about not smoking, I just feel down in general, about everything, and don't want to revert back to my old habit of shopping to cheer me up (which is how I ended up in a huge amount of debt!) someone please tell me this is just a phase and it passes??
    Sealed Pot Challenge #422
    Debt at lbm -£33,543, current debt - £16,834
    Emergency fund - £20
    • youth leader
    • By youth leader 7th Oct 14, 5:37 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    youth leader
    I've got this type as well and use it with the ordinary tobacco flavour, I find it really helps. I've bought one for my son but in my panic to get it to him in time, put the wrong house number on and the people there are denying they've received it - hope it's working for them too, haha!
    • youth leader
    • By youth leader 7th Oct 14, 5:39 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    youth leader
    I feel down too Flutterby83, we are on a horrible journey aren't we and I regret every penny wasted on my addidiction but could so easily go back to smoking and moaning that I wish I could stop - but it will end - and I think I'm probably the only person with a BOIL! that was a shock this morning and you can guess where it is .. so I won't sit here long if you'll excuse me!
    • Flutterby83
    • By Flutterby83 7th Oct 14, 5:46 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    Flutterby83
    I'm trying not to think about how much money I've literally rolled up and smoked, just focusing on how much money I'm saving now. I was so tempted to smoke earlier but just ended up sitting at the bottom of my garden having a pity party instead, which I suppose was good because I didn't smoke but it ended up making me feel worse! I've got mouth ulcers which hurt like hell and don't seem to be going, but I think you beat me with your boil!! Hope you're not suffering too much and it disappears soon!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #422
    Debt at lbm -£33,543, current debt - £16,834
    Emergency fund - £20
  • GlynD
    GlynD, that is what I'm using and have found it a great help so far and it's easier for me to disassociate with cigarettes as the liquids come in many flavours (I've found I prefer the sweeter ones!)

Day 6 already, feels like the times flown by! How is everyone doing? I've found I'm drinking more as my mouth is so dry (not sure if that's down to the change in weather though!) and I'm starting to find I'm actually feeling quite down as opposed to being happy that I've made a positive change to my life.....is this normal?? It's not necessarily about not smoking, I just feel down in general, about everything, and don't want to revert back to my old habit of shopping to cheer me up (which is how I ended up in a huge amount of debt!) someone please tell me this is just a phase and it passes??
    Originally posted by Flutterby83
    That's the beauty of the shisha pipes - there are so many flavours available and to sdome people that's an extra distraction from smoking. The real benefit for me is having a tobacco flavour with a fairly strong nicotine content (24mg). I find I don't need or want a cigarette at all when using the pipe.

Of course there are other things you can do to make the "vaping" experience more pleasurable. For example: I use a Nature Vape Midi drip tip which is arguably one of the best you can buy and it holds twice as much juice so you don't have to fill it every day. Changing your drip tip can sometimes completely change the experience. I bought the NatureVape Mini for the memsahib and I really don't like the experience from it at all.

Regarding your dry mouth: sometimes the glycerine used in all e-cig juices can give you a dry mouth. I get it sometimes too if I've been on a heavy puffing session. I just take a glass of water to bed.

Mouth ulcers are easy to treat BTW - just get yourself down to Boots and get some Mouth Ulcer Gel, which is an own brand. It gets rid of mouth ulcers overnight. Don't suffer in silence when there's a ready and cheap cure so close.

Thinking of the money never really did it for me. It's the last thing I thought of to tell the truth. It's only now I realise I have a couple of hundred quid a month extra to spoil myself on with - or save.
    Last edited by GlynD; 07-10-2014 at 7:04 PM.
    • neverdespairgirl
    • By neverdespairgirl 7th Oct 14, 8:58 PM
    • 16,072 Posts
    • 71,580 Thanks
    neverdespairgirl
    ...and nicotine itself is no more harmful to humans than caffiene, and can help short-term cognitive functions and stave off early-onset Alzheimer's
    Originally posted by GunJack
    nicotine delivered by e-cig is less addictive than tobacco, as it hasn't had all the additives that fags have got that make it more potent. Also, nic itself is only as harmful as caffiene. So don't stress about vaping, it really does work to get off the fags....

question - do you drink any alcohol? That's way more harmful to you than nicotine, just to put it into perspective...
    Originally posted by GunJack
    I don't think you should be stating things like that as bald "facts".

Smoking is undoubtedly harmful, and there are lots of things in cigarettes which are very bad for you.

But one of them is nicotine. From everything I've read which is anywhere near balanced (not from a company that makes / sell e-cigs or NRTs, etc) nicotine is, in itself, a toxic substance.

Vaping is less harmful than smoking, but it is in absolutely no way "safe" or known to be safe. The evidence suggests that nicotine in and of itself is carcinogenic and toxic. Promoting vaping as safe is untrue and damaging. It's harm reduction, not harm removal, in comparison to smoking.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21210228

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22952803

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3622363/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22764249

I gave up smoking when I got pregnant last year, and did it via cold turkey. The disadvantage of using NRTs, vaping, etc is that you are continuing to be an active nicotine addict, just changing delivery modes.

Good luck to you all giving up smoking. It's hard, but you can do it.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
    • Woodster76
    • By Woodster76 7th Oct 14, 9:11 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    Woodster76
    Flutterby and Youth Leader I've been feeling down too. Not sure if it's giving up smoking or the days are getting shorter. I've read somewhere that we could be in mourning as we're missing smoking. It will get better.
    16/10/2016 £9176.11 paid off 13/01/2017

£1.50/300

2017 - £25 PayPal - SB 2016 - £75 Paypal - SB
    • jayjay21
    • By jayjay21 7th Oct 14, 9:51 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    jayjay21

I gave up smoking when I got pregnant last year, and did it via cold turkey. The disadvantage of using NRTs, vaping, etc is that you are continuing to be an active nicotine addict, just changing delivery modes.

Good luck to you all giving up smoking. It's hard, but you can do it.
    Originally posted by neverdespairgirl
    I agree, but moving onto something like a vape or patches is going to be 10x better for any persons health, with the benefit of making it easier of quitting nicotine all together.

Smoking is half addiction and half habit, most people will smoke at fixed periods of the day, deal with the habit yourself, let the NRT take care of the addiction and you're on a road to recovery.

Thanks for the support but I don't think it is hugely beneficial for to be speaking about everyone and their hard work on giving up tobacco with words like 'disadvantage', it's negative, if people want to quit nicotine later on, they can. I don't feel the need to knock some of us down for using NRT(I'm not even doing so!).
    • neverdespairgirl
    • By neverdespairgirl 7th Oct 14, 10:00 PM
    • 16,072 Posts
    • 71,580 Thanks
    neverdespairgirl
    I'm not knocking anyone down. Any way to stop smoking is better than none, and harm reduction is very important. I think though it's very important indeed not to tell people that nicotine's no worse than caffeine.

FWIW, my view is that giving up cold turkey is more effective than using NRT and so forth. It's easier (my opinion) as well as having other advantages.

Different things work for different people, of course!
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
    • neverdespairgirl
    • By neverdespairgirl 7th Oct 14, 10:05 PM
    • 16,072 Posts
    • 71,580 Thanks
    neverdespairgirl
    Smoking is half addiction and half habit, most people will smoke at fixed periods of the day, deal with the habit yourself, let the NRT take care of the addiction and you're on a road to recovery.
    Originally posted by jayjay21
    Not necessarily. Personally, I think NRTs and so forth are a red herring, that it's easier to give up cold turkey than to switch nicotine delivery systems. There's been no proper double blind testing of NRTs (and, of course, it's impossible to do proper double blind testing, as smokers know if they are getting nicotine or not).

I think it's very important to counter false messages about nicotine being no worse than caffeine.

Giving up smoking is very, very hard. Different things work for different people. Any cigarette not smoked is fab!

One of the things that scared me most giving up smoking was how much "not-smoking" dominated my life. Fortunately that fades - when I saw the Stoptober forum header thing, that was the first time I'd thought about smoking and me together for ages. I'm not now a deliberately not-smoking person, I just don't smoke.

That isn't supposed to sound at all smug - it's a universal experience. The scary "I will always think about smoking every day" is a really common feeling, and it does go away.
    • youth leader
    • By youth leader 7th Oct 14, 10:19 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    youth leader
    To end the night on a disgusting note - I'm 57 now - when I was 42 I had to have an internal surgical procedure - and they told me they had found nicotine in my biopsy. I was completely disgusted at the time as I'm sure you are! I think we all know nicotine is harmful.

I hope to reduce my 'vapour' strength gradually to zero in my own time, but after 40 years of puffing away whenever possible cold turkey would just find me at the all night garage again as has happened in the past. Night everyone, Day 8 tomorrow!
    • Kiwisaver
    • By Kiwisaver 8th Oct 14, 9:16 AM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 10,807 Thanks
    Kiwisaver
    I hope to reduce my 'vapour' strength gradually to zero in my own time, but after 40 years of puffing away whenever possible cold turkey would just find me at the all night garage again as has happened in the past. Night everyone, Day 8 tomorrow!
    Originally posted by youth leader
    You're doing just great.

In the early days I feel the most important thing is just to stop yourself from smoking and I agree people just should do whatever they feel comfortable with and by whatever means works for them. The dangers of smoking cigarettes far outweigh all other replacements and most of us would happily give up the cigs and deal with any fallout from that one step at a time. I don't think anyone should be knocked for trying any of the tools and aids that are available to them.

Like many people I replaced some of my smoking with extra eating (not advisable of course) but who cares, I was more than happy to accept that I would put on weight and eat my way out of the smoking habit if needs be - I am still living with that decision and working on the extra weight but I don't regret it for one minute. I just needed to have the fags gone from my life and was happy to accept that there might be other consequences to be dealt with further down the track.
    Mortgage
    Start January 2017: $268,012
    Latest balance $266,734
    Reduction: $1,278.45
    • Former MSE Megan
    • By Former MSE Megan 8th Oct 14, 9:31 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 1,578 Thanks
    Former MSE Megan
    Day 8 everyone! Well done for making it through week one, now let's focus on the next challenge - making it to day 10! Have you noticed any other improvements since you stopped smoking? (Apart from a fatter wallet, of course :P)
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 8th Oct 14, 9:42 AM
    • 10,631 Posts
    • 7,969 Thanks
    GunJack
    neverdespairgirl - those were taken from various reports by leading researchers in the fields of both nicotine and e-cig research... try looking for Prof. Peter Hajeck, Dr Constantinos Farsilinos and others...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,678Posts Today

7,645Users online

Martin's Twitter