Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • brikel
    • By brikel 7th Oct 14, 11:51 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    brikel
    • 7th Oct 14, 11:51 PM
    • 7th Oct 14, 11:51 PM
    If you are planning a visit to Liverpool, for cheap travel ticket. A Local saveaway is valid on all local buses and local trains. All Area Saveaway is valid throughout Merseyside. Also on trains to Chester and Ormskirk.You can buy them from Lime St. train station and validate the scratch card as and when you need them
    Liverpool is A very friendly AND safe city You wont want to Leave
    Last edited by brikel; 07-10-2014 at 11:53 PM.
  • nathmarriott
    • 8th Oct 14, 7:58 AM
    Blackpool
    • 8th Oct 14, 7:58 AM
    When visiting Blackpool get the blackpool resort tickets, there were 3 of us went (Me, my wife and stepso (6) and we saved over £75 between us on them for the admission

(due to being a new poster i cant post links so you will have to google: Blackpool resort Pass)

Saves a fortune in ticket prices and generally jump the ques too. only ones that dont offer priority queing was the Tower (but there was no que anyway) and the pleasure beach (this could have been better sign posted) but even on Aug bank holiday the que for bank holiday went down quick as they had lots of people on the desks.

Hope this helps......
    • onesixfive
    • By onesixfive 8th Oct 14, 11:59 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    onesixfive
    • 8th Oct 14, 11:59 AM
    London
    • 8th Oct 14, 11:59 AM
    Check out Virgin for Train Tickets. Use those train tickets on http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london to get 2 for 1 access to attractions whilst in London. Also an (off-peak) day Travelcard/Oystercard saves ££££'s if using buses/tube to get around.
    • Elisecas
    • By Elisecas 8th Oct 14, 2:54 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Elisecas
    • 8th Oct 14, 2:54 PM
    • 8th Oct 14, 2:54 PM
    London has loads of free stuff: the free museums would take a lot more than a weekend and cheap eats can be googled. It's just travel and accommodation that cost: use the megabus or coach and stay on the outskirts of zone 2 or in zone 3 and its ok.
  • Cricketnut
    • 8th Oct 14, 3:46 PM
    Cheap weekends away ?
    • 8th Oct 14, 3:46 PM
    Hi, my family and I regularly have cheap weekends away in London by purchasing advance return tickets with Virgin Railways too, and staying in Premier Inns. If you travel by train you can also take advantage of the many 2 for 1 offers to tourist attractions on the 'Days out Guide' website. Hope this helps.
    • malkypaul
    • By malkypaul 8th Oct 14, 5:21 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    malkypaul
    • 8th Oct 14, 5:21 PM
    • 8th Oct 14, 5:21 PM
    Hi All

If I have to go somewhere I always stay in a hotel via the www.travel-offers.???? club, (It's £30ish pounds for a directory of hotels) but you pay for food in the hotel, (you got to eat somewhere) but you get a room free if available though there might be a limit of days you can stay per holiday, They are usually the smaller less desirable rooms but you are only sleeping there) The directory will pay for itself in the first trip and after that you are Quids in.
    I recently went to a friends wedding in Haverfordwest from Worcester by coach, the wedding venue wanted £120 per night (there for two nights), I had a short ride across town by taxi (cos I was well SQUIFFY) with a free bed BARGAIN!.
    I also normally have a few days Skiing in Scotland during the winter as well, the club have expanded to Europe but I haven't tried that yet Maybe when i retire!

regards

Malkypaul
    • lazer
    • By lazer 8th Oct 14, 5:22 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 4,519 Thanks
    lazer
    • 8th Oct 14, 5:22 PM
    • 8th Oct 14, 5:22 PM
    Nottingham - great city and very cheap!
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • GlynD
    • 8th Oct 14, 5:34 PM
    • 8th Oct 14, 5:34 PM
    Northern Ireland. Not cheap but very different. Like being in a foreign country but still being in the UK. So much to see and so little time to see it in.

Big adventure for the kiddies too because you can choose to come by ferry which makes it more fun - for them anyway.

http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/
  • an59
    Megabus deals
    Megabus.com has some great fare prices. We recently took a Coach all the way from Norwich to Birmingham.It cost us a ridiculously low price of £2 each way.It is more direct,stops less than National Express and saved us changing trains, which would also have cost us a fortune! They go to so many destinations too.We could have gone to Bristol for £15 return from Norwich.
    Last edited by an59; 08-10-2014 at 9:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    • Bollotom
    • By Bollotom 8th Oct 14, 9:54 PM
    • 918 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Bollotom
    Planned carefully a 'Tastecard' is good. Gives you 50% off at hundreds of places nationwide, the 1 month trial is completely free. 'Bite' gets you 20% off at most train station bars and food places. Lots of 2 for 1s on production of rail ticket (not Underground). Generally Wetherspoons are good for food. Most Museums/Art Galleries are free in London at least. If you do a search for Susancs and check her posts for some of the best London info.
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 10th Oct 14, 9:46 AM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 1,441 Thanks
    sooty&sweep
    Hi
    We're going to Glasgow for 3 nights. Its mid week not weekend but just under £150 for 3 nights in a Premier Inn & return train tickets for 4 which I think is good.

Jen
    • gloriouslyhappy
    • By gloriouslyhappy 10th Oct 14, 5:27 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    gloriouslyhappy
    Margate - it's cheap and cheerful, and while we wait for Dreamland Amusement park to reopen next year, the beach is free! Stay in self-catering rather than hotels, much cheaper if there's a few of you, and much more comfy, plus you save on eating out, we stay at Dreamland Lets which takes all eight of us, working out at £12.50 pppn, bargain, Nip across the road to the Brewer's Inn for a 2for£10 dinner while the kids play free in their playground. Kent has lovely places to visit and a good bus / Megabus timetable, you can visit Canterbury - take a picnic and admire the outside of the cathedral for free - or Reculver Roman fort, free entry, or Turner Gallery, free entry, or just spend all your time on that big long sandy beach for free!
    • gloriouslyhappy
    • By gloriouslyhappy 10th Oct 14, 5:31 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    gloriouslyhappy
    Look at youth hostels, check out the YHA website, it's not all dorms and shut during the day anymore, they have ensuite and family rooms with self-catering available, and are in lots of lovely locations, always on bus or train routes. Oh, and you don't have to be a youth, lol...
  • J.A.N.
    Stay play explore in Leicester
    There is a fantastic deal called stay play explore for leicester, if you type this into google it comes up with the website, easy to find ( i have not been allowed to add the address here).

You get an overnight stay for a family of four and entry to three of five local attractions including twycross zoo, the space centre, conkers and others. When we went this month, it was £109 for all four of us. Bearing in mind entry to the zoo alone should have been over £40 this is a fantastic deal.

Well worth a look!
    • gloriouslyhappy
    • By gloriouslyhappy 16th Oct 14, 3:35 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    gloriouslyhappy
    Definitely worth a look!
    There is a fantastic deal called stay play explore for Leicester:
    You get an overnight stay for a family of four and entry to three of five local attractions including twycross zoo, the space centre, conkers and others. When we went this month, it was £109 for all four of us. Bearing in mind entry to the zoo alone should have been over £40 this is a fantastic deal.

Well worth a look!
    Originally posted by J.A.N.
    The website is: http://www.stayplayexplore.co.uk/ I had a look and it's great! As well as the above family package, a couple could get a night's stay, cocktails, dinner, lunch or afternoon tea for £109 - you get to choose which of the options you'd like.

Thanks J.A.N.! Anyone know if other cities offer this? Google didn't show anything.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 16th Oct 14, 7:25 PM
    • 2,172 Posts
    • 7,441 Thanks
    Ilona
    Another one for Youth Hostels here, I am a member. I recently went from S!!!!horpe to the Lakes, Windermere area, on my bus pass, and back. Travel costs nil. I stayed five nights in Youth Hostels, £17 b & b, and had two nights in guest houses. Eight days, total cost £214. Walking holidays for me, maybe not to everyone's taste, but the YHA have city hostels as well.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

803Posts Today

5,844Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin