Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 1st Oct 14, 3:54 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Drivers struggle to renew road tax
    • 1st Oct 14, 3:54 PM
    MSE News: Drivers struggle to renew road tax 1st Oct 14 at 3:54 PM
    The DVLA's website has struggled to cope as thousands went online to try and renew their road tax...

Read the full story:

Drivers struggle to renew road tax

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 1st Oct 14, 4:03 PM
    • 15,951 Posts
    • 22,307 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 1st Oct 14, 4:03 PM
    • 1st Oct 14, 4:03 PM
    They could always just pop down to the post office... or not leave it to the last minute.
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 1st Oct 14, 4:05 PM
    • 6,705 Posts
    • 4,644 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • 1st Oct 14, 4:05 PM
    • 1st Oct 14, 4:05 PM
    When a company makes a big change to their infrastructure just like DVLA they actually take into account for demand on their servers, if demand is expected to be high they "rent" more server space or buy more servers, DVLA makes big changes and the top hats think that a already struggling system will cope with higher demand, WHY well they want to save money and generate money, so how many people today got fined for using a vehicle without excise duty (generate money) how many people got shut down when the computer said no (save money).

my VED is up 30th this month, I sure wont be relying on a computer to make sure im covered, post office it is.
    • payless
    • By payless 1st Oct 14, 4:09 PM
    • 6,588 Posts
    • 2,343 Thanks
    payless
    • 1st Oct 14, 4:09 PM
    • 1st Oct 14, 4:09 PM
    Did mine last weekend ( for start today).
    All worked fine ...

Why leave it until today ..... It's a bit like everyone waiting at the post office on the first of the month.
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
    • redux
    • By redux 1st Oct 14, 4:12 PM
    • 19,102 Posts
    • 25,974 Thanks
    redux
    • 1st Oct 14, 4:12 PM
    • 1st Oct 14, 4:12 PM
    I posted about this on another thread about vehicle tax, before 9 am.

MSE Andrea posted on the same thread about half an hour later. Perhaps she didn't notice my comment, or come back to read my later additions.

The DVLA's own website statistics show no service availability from 8 to 10 pm last night, or from midnight to 3 pm today
    Last edited by redux; 01-10-2014 at 4:16 PM.
    • colino
    • By colino 1st Oct 14, 4:13 PM
    • 4,936 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    colino
    • 1st Oct 14, 4:13 PM
    • 1st Oct 14, 4:13 PM
    I'm sure with the overarching tenet that we are all innocent until proven guilty, many motorists will have heard of the meltdown at Swansea and happily drive around untaxed for a little while, just to let the dust settle of course.
    • redux
    • By redux 1st Oct 14, 4:21 PM
    • 19,102 Posts
    • 25,974 Thanks
    redux
    • 1st Oct 14, 4:21 PM
    • 1st Oct 14, 4:21 PM
    I wouldn't count on that. It is apparently back online.

DVLA's Twitter account comments on services provided to it by Vodafone

UPDATE-online car tax. Vodafone have confirmed unprecedented demand affected the services they provide to DVLA. Services have now resumed

https://twitter.com/DVLAgovuk/status/517337189198200832
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 1st Oct 14, 4:22 PM
    • 4,148 Posts
    • 4,609 Thanks
    Marvel1
    • 1st Oct 14, 4:22 PM
    • 1st Oct 14, 4:22 PM
    It seems odd that the first day no tax discs so many are trying to tax the same day. Why didn't they do this before? My reminder is due soon for end of this month, I will tax it as soon as it arrives. It's not like insurance where I have to spare a few more inutes shopping for a cheaper price.
    Last edited by Marvel1; 01-10-2014 at 4:24 PM.
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 1st Oct 14, 5:08 PM
    • 61,883 Posts
    • 124,626 Thanks
    torbrex
    • 1st Oct 14, 5:08 PM
    • 1st Oct 14, 5:08 PM
    I got mine at the Post Office yesterday, took about 3 minutes, job done
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 1st Oct 14, 6:33 PM
    • 3,814 Posts
    • 2,012 Thanks
    MABLE
    Our tax finished on the 30.9 but we renewed two weeks ago.

Reminds me HMRC SA leave to the very last minute and only to receive a fine for being received late.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 1st Oct 14, 6:59 PM
    • 3,579 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    Ectophile
    I can't think why people were leaving it until the last minute to renew their tax. You can do it as soon as you get the reminder.

I got mine done at the Post Office a fortnight ago.
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 1st Oct 14, 8:27 PM
    • 9,114 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    I did mine a couple of weeks ago.

I notice, though, that the date the Prime Minister boasted of planned tax cuts a new stealth tax was brought in as whenever a car is sold now both the old and new owners will have to tax it for that month.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 2nd Oct 14, 7:46 AM
    • 8,110 Posts
    • 6,930 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    The DVLA's website has struggled to cope as thousands went online to try and renew their road tax...

Read the full story:

Drivers struggle to renew road tax

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Originally posted by MSE Helen
    Renewing road tax online has never been an option as it was abolished in 1937.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • alastairq
    • By alastairq 2nd Oct 14, 8:16 AM
    • 4,987 Posts
    • 4,090 Thanks
    alastairq
    I notice rather a lot of contributors to this thread are of the opinion that,VED should have been paid earlier in the month, or, at a Post Office, etc, and those late payers have only themselves to blame?

We are all aware of the ability to pay VED up to 3 weeks earlier, or more [not before the 5th of the preceding month].

Which is fine if one's budget allows for this to be possible.

Or one is only paying 3p!

But for many, especially those on today's enforced tight budgets, being able to shell out a hundred quid or more, early, maybe isn't possible.

Being able to pay for VED up until the very last minute is extremely useful.

Especially as quite a lot of people get paid monthly...and that pay hits one's account, at the latest, the last banking day before the new month!

Maybe Post Offices, too, are not so accessible, either? Or don't stay open until 9 o'clock at night? Or the queues are incredibly long, as everybody engaged in online business is in front, with 20 parcels each to be weighed, stamped, recorded and posted?

I would not worry too much if the DVLA site is temporarily stuck!

They do have their 5 day let-out clause...[although one's vehicle should not be [seen?] on the road during that time]...so a slightly late payment won't be of concern to them....I suspect.
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 2nd Oct 14, 8:16 AM
    • 4,406 Posts
    • 3,242 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    Renewing road tax online has never been an option as it was abolished in 1937.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Now, now Norman it takes people time to get used to changes.

A bit like the MOT Test - seeing as how we haven't had a Ministry of Transport since 'just the other day' in 1981.

As for the general public understanding the difference between DVLA, VOSA, DSA, VOSA, DVSA, etc. - you can forget it as the old names will live on forever.

And don't even think of the NI equivalents.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 2nd Oct 14, 8:40 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,535 Thanks
    Strider590
    I notice rather a lot of contributors to this thread are of the opinion that,VED should have been paid earlier in the month, or, at a Post Office, etc, and those late payers have only themselves to blame?

We are all aware of the ability to pay VED up to 3 weeks earlier, or more [not before the 5th of the preceding month].

Which is fine if one's budget allows for this to be possible.

Or one is only paying 3p!

But for many, especially those on today's enforced tight budgets, being able to shell out a hundred quid or more, early, maybe isn't possible.

Being able to pay for VED up until the very last minute is extremely useful.

Especially as quite a lot of people get paid monthly...and that pay hits one's account, at the latest, the last banking day before the new month!

Maybe Post Offices, too, are not so accessible, either? Or don't stay open until 9 o'clock at night? Or the queues are incredibly long, as everybody engaged in online business is in front, with 20 parcels each to be weighed, stamped, recorded and posted?

I would not worry too much if the DVLA site is temporarily stuck!

They do have their 5 day let-out clause...[although one's vehicle should not be [seen?] on the road during that time]...so a slightly late payment won't be of concern to them....I suspect.
    Originally posted by alastairq

A fair view, but not everyone gets paid at the end of the month, my previous employers always paid on the 5th of the month, often leaving people running short from around the 25th onwards.

I think there is a lot of laziness involved, but not just in actually paying up, I think people are too lazy to really get a full understanding of when and how early they can pay.

There are also people who MOT and tax their cars within a few days of each other (those idiots who get held to ransom by dodgy garages). They leave the MOT until the last minute as they don't realise you can get it done earlier, but because they don't want to tax a car that's going to cost a fortune to fix they also hold back on the tax. It's all pretty silly, but that is how a lot of people think, too lazy to educate themselves using the wealth of information available.

My MOT and VED are split 6 months apart, which is probably a part of why my 10yr old beast hasn't failed an MOT since I bought it in 2008.

So basically, yes there are mitigating circumstances for many who are stuck trying to pay up, but in a lot of cases they've only bought it upon themselves.
    ďI may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.Ē

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 2nd Oct 14, 8:57 AM
    • 8,110 Posts
    • 6,930 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Now, now Norman it takes people time to get used to changes.

A bit like the MOT Test - seeing as how we haven't had a Ministry of Transport since 'just the other day' in 1981.
    Originally posted by Iceweasel
    The MOT test is still referred to as the MOT test https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/the-mot-test and it still exists.

Road tax does not exist. It is no more. It has ceased to be. It is an ex tax.
    VED is not road tax.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Bigtwin
    • By Bigtwin 2nd Oct 14, 9:05 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Bigtwin
    What a surprise
    Government department in massively expensive IT failure shocker.
  • archived user
    Road Tax became the common, familiar name for the annual vehicle tax long before the majority of us were born and it stuck and will continue to be called that regardless of the protestations of the pedants.

No different to Hoover becoming the common term for a vacuum cleaner or Biro the common name for a ball-point pen.
    • Hintza
    • By Hintza 2nd Oct 14, 10:28 AM
    • 19,013 Posts
    • 13,960 Thanks
    Hintza
    Just went on to check something and the DVLA website is down, the phone lines are busy all 249 of them, some things never change with government departments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

3,748Users online

Martin's Twitter