Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 22nd Sep 14, 2:22 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Ovo Energy top, Npower rock bottom in MSE's latest energy poll
    • 22nd Sep 14, 2:22 PM
    MSE News: Ovo Energy top, Npower rock bottom in MSE's latest energy poll 22nd Sep 14 at 2:22 PM
    Almost 80% of Ovo Energy users rated its service as 'great', while 9% said the same of Npower ...

Read the full story:

Ovo Energy top, Npower rock bottom in MSE's latest energy poll

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • minislim
    • By minislim 22nd Sep 14, 3:30 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    minislim
    • 22nd Sep 14, 3:30 PM
    • 22nd Sep 14, 3:30 PM
    i swapped over to ovo last year. their transfer was reasonably swift with only minor glitches (on scottish powers behalf, they where given finial readings and still told ovo much higher figures.)

OVO's online account systems good. easy to use.

and their pricing is cheap too (probably not the cheapest but longest cheap fix at the time)

i just transferred my dad to them too. almost halved his bills compared with what he paid with British gas. and they sold him what they said was their cheapest deal!

i can see why Ovo are top of the polls!
  • barnabee
    • 22nd Sep 14, 4:02 PM
    • 22nd Sep 14, 4:02 PM
    Perhaps MSE will stop all affiliate link advertising of NPower products.

NPower should be removed from the MSE Energy Club listings or, at the very least, have a huge warning in red next to any price quotes that they are totally incompetent and should have their licence to trade withdrawn.
    • Mandelbrot
    • By Mandelbrot 22nd Sep 14, 4:10 PM
    • 8,633 Posts
    • 18,640 Thanks
    Mandelbrot
    • 22nd Sep 14, 4:10 PM
    • 22nd Sep 14, 4:10 PM
    Who was in 3rd place in April?
    And where have they gone?
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 22nd Sep 14, 5:29 PM
    • 3,814 Posts
    • 2,012 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 22nd Sep 14, 5:29 PM
    • 22nd Sep 14, 5:29 PM
    Surprised EE has not tied with NP for bottom place.
    • dezza
    • By dezza 22nd Sep 14, 6:04 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    dezza
    • 22nd Sep 14, 6:04 PM
    • 22nd Sep 14, 6:04 PM
    Where's ninth place - am I not seeing something?
    "Kids respect landlords. I think it's the keys."
  • cklass
    • 22nd Sep 14, 6:14 PM
    • 22nd Sep 14, 6:14 PM
    Perhaps MSE will stop all affiliate link advertising of NPower products.

NPower should be removed from the MSE Energy Club listings or, at the very least, have a huge warning in red next to any price quotes that they are totally incompetent and should have their licence to trade withdrawn.
    Originally posted by barnabee
    There is a warning for every provider that MSE has had poor feedback about. They shouldn't and won't remove them from CEC because MSE is impartial and therefore in these cases just sticks to the facts. Also, people have the right to choose who they want to go with, some people may want to go with NPower in spite of their poor customer service and it's useful just being able to see where each provider stands even if you have no intention of switching to them.
    • gloucesteroldspot
    • By gloucesteroldspot 24th Sep 14, 11:25 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    gloucesteroldspot
    • 24th Sep 14, 11:25 AM
    Why is Scottish Power so highly rated?
    • 24th Sep 14, 11:25 AM
    I'm surprised Scottish Power comes only second last - but then I've never had the pleasure of dealing with Npower! My own experience of SP was so poor that I had to complain to the ombudsman, who ruled in my favour, but even then SP didn't manage to do what they were ordered to do within the obligatory 30 days - they managed to come in at around 33 days and were very ungracious about it all. I wonder in what way NP can be worse?
    • Mr K
    • By Mr K 24th Sep 14, 12:56 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    Mr K
    • 24th Sep 14, 12:56 PM
    • 24th Sep 14, 12:56 PM
    The poll is cobblers - SSE and M&S energy are the same company with the same helplines but occupy 3rd and 6th positions. A lot of the smaller companies aren't included (e.g Zog energy , EE).

MSE should resign from the Royal Statistical Society.
    • POLAR BILL
    • By POLAR BILL 25th Sep 14, 9:34 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    POLAR BILL
    N power were shocking when I was with them years ago. They charged over a 2 year period more primary units than the total of 2 years. When I wrote they said I was wrong and later they came up on Watchdog for overcharging and sent refunds to all their customers. Scottish Power are hopeless at getting direct debits right. Their bills are incredibly difficult to understand and having left them in July, I only received today less than half of the £293 they owe me. First Utility have been good up to now and as I have a variable direct debit I am hoping it will run smoothly.
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 26th Sep 14, 8:41 AM
    • 2,191 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    naedanger
    I'm surprised Scottish Power comes only second last - but then I've never had the pleasure of dealing with Npower! My own experience of SP was so poor that I had to complain to the ombudsman, who ruled in my favour, but even then SP didn't manage to do what they were ordered to do within the obligatory 30 days - they managed to come in at around 33 days and were very ungracious about it all. I wonder in what way NP can be worse?
    Originally posted by gloucesteroldspot
    Npower fully deserve to be last. In my case the Ombudsman gave them 28 days to comply with their ruling. They have still not done so more then 100 days later and could not care less.

Furthermore they won't send me a Subject Access Request Form so that I cannot find out what personal data they hold on me. (I believe they are holding erroneous information.)

In addition they appear to be using underhand tactics to keep their complaint numbers down e.g. closing unresolved complaints, closing written complaints if they complainant won't repeat the complaint over the phone, refusing to put people through to the complaints department, refusing to record complaints ...
  • Sandmonster
    OVO statements problem?
    Anyone else having a problem with their statements from OVO? For two months my statements have only got the electricity, missing off the gas. Only way to raise the issue seems to be to the generic hello@ email address and the responses have been somewhat vague, first promising to fix within 7 days, and then another one in response to a follow up email saying the problem was wider than they first thought and that they were still working on it.
    Question is, can I now trust them to add up the bill correctly or do I need to check their workings?
    I think I will, but I shouldn't have to!
  • archived user
    Anyone else having a problem with their statements from OVO? For two months my statements have only got the electricity, missing off the gas. Only way to raise the issue seems to be to the generic hello@ email address and the responses have been somewhat vague, first promising to fix within 7 days, and then another one in response to a follow up email saying the problem was wider than they first thought and that they were still working on it.
    Question is, can I now trust them to add up the bill correctly or do I need to check their workings?
    I think I will, but I shouldn't have to!
    Originally posted by Sandmonster
    Yes. For two months running I have failed to get a monthly statement. Ovo CS have said that their system cannot cope with a lot of meter readings. They have suggested that I switch, via My Ovo, to 'On Demand' statements. A 'key point' with on demand statements - not mentioned anywhere - is that meter readings must be at least two weeks apart. The transactions page on My Ovo is also a complete mess.

Edit: Just checked My Ovo and I see that they have removed the strange in/out payments from the webpage leaving just DD credits and statements. This is progress .
    Last edited by Hengus; 05-10-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Additional information
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 6th Oct 14, 10:04 AM
    • 4,135 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    Neither of my current suppliers are on that list

(and of course I'm happy with them else I would switch elsewhere)

I was formally with Ovo, but they became too expensive, sadly. No problems with their customer service though ... just their recent prices. They seem to be closing the gap again lately, so if they keep going in that direction, I may go back to Ovo next time.

Always makes me smile when I see Ebico often coming close to the top of these types of surveys that are supposed to be based on customer service, when SSE usually langish mid to lower half of the tables, especially when all Ebico customer service is provided by exactly the same folk as SSE.
    Last edited by footyguy; 06-10-2014 at 10:06 AM.
  • Sandmonster
    Yes. For two months running I have failed to get a monthly statement. Ovo CS have said that their system cannot cope with a lot of meter readings. They have suggested that I switch, via My Ovo, to 'On Demand' statements. A 'key point' with on demand statements - not mentioned anywhere - is that meter readings must be at least two weeks apart. The transactions page on My Ovo is also a complete mess.

Edit: Just checked My Ovo and I see that they have removed the strange in/out payments from the webpage leaving just DD credits and statements. This is progress .
    Originally posted by Hengus
    OVO still trying to fix this - 3 months statements now with the electricity section missing - apparently its affecting a lot more people and they are having to fix it 'in batches'? Very pleasant customer service, but I think they need to sort out their back room operations. At least I guess I'm getting 3% on the balance which is higher than it should be because they haven't taken the cost of the electric off. They will be losing money on that I guess?
  • Sandmonster
    OVO IT Problems new thread
    There is an article about the IT problems at OVO on the main MSE news site here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2014/11/it-bug-at-ovo-energy-means-13000-customer-bills-were-wrong

and a discussion thread related to that article here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=66982703&_ga=1.197598831.11346528 36.1414861578

• Sanj1699
    • By Sanj1699 26th Dec 14, 11:10 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Sanj1699
    Ovo- Appalling service for vulnerable customers
    Hi,

Unfortunately, both of my parents are elderly, have mobility issues and are not internet savvy.

As a result, after joining Ovo, they applied in July 2014 to be on the Priority Services Register, which would mean paper statements/ requests and a meter reader would come out every 3 months. Despite this, Ovo bombards them with emails on a weekly basis demanding they submit readings and no one has ever come to read their meters. They persist in doing so, even after a number of calls to them.

Ovo are a truly heartless company- very efficient at charging customers and arbitrarily changing direct debit amounts, yet inept at customer service.

Steer well clear!
    • skyepark
    • By skyepark 26th Dec 14, 4:27 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    skyepark
    Switichd from SP to OVO in Sep
    I have still only half switched, I have contacted both companies twice and nothing has been done only generic replies, SP told me today that OVO had different final figures for electricity, I emailed both companies together and cc the CEO with my final readings that I had already given to them both in the hope that it gets sorted. I do like the 3% interest on credit, can always up my direct debit and use that to my advantage.... he he OVO still predicts that I will use a huge amout of energy when I know its not the case.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

703Posts Today

5,965Users online

Martin's Twitter