Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 16
    • moments_of_sanity
    • By moments_of_sanity 19th Sep 14, 6:46 PM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 9,134 Thanks
    moments_of_sanity
    Don't mind at all, we all had to learn.
    Is it the actual process of k2tog you don't quite understand? If so take a look at this. It's easier to watch than me trying to explain.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=ptZsAT770i8

For the row you asked about, it's a decreasing row so worked as follows.

Knit the first two stitches as normal,then the next two together ( as in the video ) then two as normal,two together, all the way across and finally knitting the last two as normal, finishing with 20 stitches left on your needle.
    Originally posted by psso
    Thank you so much
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 19th Sep 14, 7:24 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 4,853 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Boo hiss, my woolly order has gone missing, am wanting to start knitting my dad's reindeer hat but my order, containing said wool as well as wool for mums mitts and dmil scarf all in the black hole that is royal mail
    Have spoken to the wool shop who say they have to wait 10 days to open dispute with rm (which I understand) but I just want to get on
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
  • cumbrianshopaholic
    Ferrero Rocher Xmas Knitted holders

Hi all

I have been lurking for the last few days, enjoying reading the thread.

Do you knit?
    Have you seen the little knitted holders for Ferrero Rocher chocolates (Santa Hat, Robin and Christmas Puddings)
    I have them saved in pdf format somewhere on my puter if anyone would like them, let me know)
    Originally posted by cumbrianshopaholic

Hope you can see the pic, been trying to remember how to insert them lol

Idk where the pattern came from, have had it for a couple of years. It is different to the ravelry pattern,

If anyone wants a copy of the pattern please pm me and I can email it

Thanks
    • psso
    • By psso 19th Sep 14, 10:14 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    psso
    http://www.khh.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Complete-Christmas-knitting-patterns-booklet-2013.pdf

This seems to be the pattern for them.
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy

Charity knitting 2015
    • pollys
    • By pollys 20th Sep 14, 12:28 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 12,463 Thanks
    pollys
    Thanks for the links to the knitting patterns.

Just popped into tesco and they are selling individual christmas and chocolate puddings £1.20 each but on buy one get one free. The Christmas puddings are a good buy for us as we don't all like it and those that do only want a very small portion.

Polly

Oops sorry, the Christmas puds are£1.50 the choc puds £1.20
    Last edited by pollys; 20-09-2014 at 3:10 PM. Reason: Correction
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
    • psso
    • By psso 20th Sep 14, 7:11 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    psso
    Have you tried the puds,are they nice ?

I ask because I bought some last year,can't remember which s'market, and they tasted really plastic-y. Not nice at all. Luckily we had them in early December and changed the menu for Christmas.
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy

Charity knitting 2015
    • pollys
    • By pollys 20th Sep 14, 11:08 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 12,463 Thanks
    pollys
    No, not tried them. They have been put away for Christmas Day. They have a long date on them. Hopefully they will be good.

Polly
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
    • skogar
    • By skogar 21st Sep 14, 6:54 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    skogar
    Lots of different templates for the Danish hearts can be found on this site.
    Www.chatbreak.dk/jul/flettehjerter/1.htm
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 21st Sep 14, 10:45 AM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 31,320 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Lots of different templates for the Danish hearts can be found on this site.
    Www.chatbreak.dk/jul/flettehjerter/1.htm
    Originally posted by skogar
    Lovely. Thank you.
    Changing to a Life of Simplicity and Serenity with added rainbows
    NST Jun #13 SFD 6/15 Food 55.25/£160 Travel £13.60/20 Ent 0/12 Diy 10/£10 Ext trainers, sodastream
    No Debt No mortgage
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 21st Sep 14, 2:12 PM
    • 4,029 Posts
    • 51,452 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    We only buy for family, the adults are getting a boozy hamper each, I've made damson gin, blackberry vodka And over the next couple of weeks &'m making brandy mincemeat, mead & whisky marmalade. The grandchildren, now we have 9 of them we only spend £10 a head.
    Hester
    • mrsdwhite
    • By mrsdwhite 21st Sep 14, 4:39 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 1,590 Thanks
    mrsdwhite
    I'm trying to do hampers for the adults this year as we're a bit tight financially.
    I've got some sloes in the freezer amd want to do slow vodka. Does anyone have any good recipes? Also, I have a ton of tomatoes from my allotment. I've turned a fair few into passata for use at home. I want to do some as 'sun dried' in the oven. Does anyone have any tips with that? They will be given as gifts.
    Thanks in advance
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 21st Sep 14, 4:53 PM
    • 4,029 Posts
    • 51,452 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Sloe gin/vodka recipe
    Into a large glass jar with tight fitting lid or demi john pour 1 bottle of vodka or gin, add 1&half lbs sloes, three quarters lb of sugar. Seal top & leave for 6 weeks shaking occasionally to dissolve sugar. Strain through muslin & bottle.

I also have a recipe for Irish Cream if anyone wants it.
    Hester
    • mrsdwhite
    • By mrsdwhite 21st Sep 14, 5:26 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 1,590 Thanks
    mrsdwhite
    Sloe gin/vodka recipe
    Into a large glass jar with tight fitting lid or demi john pour 1 bottle of vodka or gin, add 1&half lbs sloes, three quarters lb of sugar. Seal top & leave for 6 weeks shaking occasionally to dissolve sugar. Strain through muslin & bottle.

I also have a recipe for Irish Cream if anyone wants it.
    Hester
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    Thanks! Also, I'd love the Irish cream recipe. My mum had an old recipe but seems to have lost it
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 21st Sep 14, 5:49 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 32,116 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Just spent the afternoon downloading kitting patterns from this site.

http://bernat/yarnspirations

click on patterns and then free patterns and you will get 202 pages of 12 patterns for knitting or crocheting. Lots of gifts for everyone. Just what we are all looking for. They are downloadable and printable.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 21st Sep 14, 6:39 PM
    • 4,029 Posts
    • 51,452 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Irish Cream recipe

1 large egg
    1 large tin evaporated milk
    2 tbs Camp coffee

Mix together & leave to stand for 5 minutes

Add
    1 tin of condensed milk
    2 drops of vanilla essence
    1 tsp glycerin, mix well together & leave for 5 minutes.
    Fill the empty condensed tin full of whisky & add to the mixture.
    Mix well, leave for 15 minutes, then bottle.
    Hester
    • lizalexander
    • By lizalexander 21st Sep 14, 6:51 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    lizalexander
    Apple Chilli Jelly ??
    I've made 36 jars of apple chilli jelly which is a great way of using up the seasons glut.
    Around 2kg of apples cut into chunks - don't bother peeling or coring - just chuck everything in a large pot with enough water to cover - bring to the boil and simmer for around 30 mins until it's all really broken down.
    Once it's cooled slightly you need to strain the juice off using a jelly bag (a muslin square or tea towel in a colander will do) - don't squeeze or you'll get cloudy juice. Leave to drain until it stops dripping (a couple of hours).
    Measure the juice and for ever 500ml of juice add 450gm of jam/preserving sugar. mix well and bring to the boil - skim off the scum and turn to a simmer - at this point add some finely chopped fresh chillies and some roasted chilli flakes ( for 2kg of apple I normally add 3 fresh chillis and 2 tea spoons of chilli flakes which gives it a subtle kick). All to simmer until it reaches setting point - around half an hour should do it and then pour into warmed sterilized jars.
    As it cools the chilli bits float to the top so keep turning and shaking the jars for the next couple of hours to evenly distribute the bits.
    Great with cheese and hot and cold meats, stirred through mash or just spread on a chunk of french stick.
    Originally posted by Pooky
    This sounds amazing!
    I'm going to make some but trying to work out whether to scale up or scale down.
    With 2kg of apples how many jars does this make ?(and what size jars please ?)
    thanks ever so much
    Comp Wins 2014 - £200 Thats Life Mag Win
    • natlie
    • By natlie 22nd Sep 14, 11:39 AM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 5,629 Thanks
    natlie
    Hi All,
    Finally mincemeat recipe (worth noting this is almost delia's recipe with a few changes - like not cooking it for 3 hours)

1lb (450g) grated bramley (or other cheap) apples
    8oz (225g) Vegetable suet (you can use meat suet)
    12oz (350g) raisins
    8oz (225g) Sultanas
    8oz (225g) currants
    8oz (225g) dried cranberries (if your quick Aldi are doing lovely orange flavoured ones this week) you could also use dried cherries
    12oz (350g) soft dark brown sugar
    zest and juice of 2 oranges and 2 lemons
    2oz slivered almonds
    4 level tsp mixed spice
    half level tsp each of cinnamon and nutmeg

Booze I use Disarronno (or aldi alternative) but you could also use: rum, brandy, whisky, cherry brandy or flavoured vodka

method: stir it all together in a huge bowl cover with a teacloth leave for at least a day to soak then jar
    Last edited by natlie; 26-09-2014 at 8:10 PM.
    Debt: £33,400 £32,173
  • rosieben
    natlie, hope you don't mind but I've posted a link to your mincmeat recipe on the October Grocery Challenge and added it to the recipe index there.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 25th Sep 14, 12:11 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 9,145 Thanks
    kboss2010
    A forumite asked for my instructions on how to make a quilt so here's my pictorial guide (I apologise to actual quilters as it's probably not the correct way but it's how I made

:

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/AmberLM1988/Crafty%20things/imagejpg1_zps159d368d.jpg
    http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/AmberLM1988/Crafty%20things/imagejpg2_zpsc95acb75.jpg
    http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/AmberLM1988/Crafty%20things/imagejpg3_zps8f5f4e55.jpg

I use a template cut out from an old cardboard box to make my squares and buy second hand sheets, pillowcases, curtains etc. from charity shops to make my squares.

I cut shapes out of felt squares (hobbycraft do them individually or in packs as do cheap book shops like The Works) and hand stitch them on in contrasting coloured thread.

For the backing fabric I use cheap ikea fleeces and you can pick up the wadding quite cheaply from places like Dunelm mill.

For specific patterned fabrics (like the dark blue animal one here) I buy fat quarters from ebay for around £3. One fat quarter should make around 4 15cmx15cm squares.
    Last edited by kboss2010; 25-09-2014 at 12:18 PM.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 25th Sep 14, 1:04 PM
    • 6,891 Posts
    • 44,938 Thanks
    Pooky
    This sounds amazing!
    I'm going to make some but trying to work out whether to scale up or scale down.
    With 2kg of apples how many jars does this make ?(and what size jars please ?)
    thanks ever so much
    Originally posted by lizalexander
    The jars I used were around around 180mls and it made 11 full ones and a half jar we had to eat that night (to save it going off )

I've made 3 batches this year, everyone that visits seems to ask to take one or two home when they go.......they're only visiting for my jelly!!!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

81Posts Today

2,357Users online

Martin's Twitter