Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 3rd Sep 14, 7:47 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Facebook app user? Beware big bills as videos automatically play
    • 3rd Sep 14, 7:47 AM
    MSE News: Facebook app user? Beware big bills as videos automatically play 3rd Sep 14 at 7:47 AM
    f you've experienced higher than usual bills, check your Facebook settings as it could be down to its video auto-play...

Read the full story:

Facebook app user? Beware big bills as videos automatically play

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • starsailor123uk
    • By starsailor123uk 3rd Sep 14, 7:52 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    starsailor123uk
    • 3rd Sep 14, 7:52 AM
    • 3rd Sep 14, 7:52 AM
    Samsung S3 using facebook app does not show "only ... with wi-if" under app settings general settings
    • VT82
    • By VT82 3rd Sep 14, 8:35 AM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    VT82
    • 3rd Sep 14, 8:35 AM
    • 3rd Sep 14, 8:35 AM
    I went over my 750mb allowance for the first time on Vodafone in July, and have done again in August. I suspected this Facebook issue was part of the reason, and fortunately someone showed me the other day how to change the settings.

Not only is the Facebook feature annoying because of using up your data, but it makes your news feed 'judder' as it's scrolling, and often ends up making me inadvertently load a video in full screen that I had no intention of watching.

Hint for Vodafone customers: If you realise that you are going to go over your allowance on, say, day 24 of your billing month, ask for the '£6.50 for 1gb' add-on, but ask for it to be automatically cancelled at your next billing date. When I did this, they pro-rated it for the remaining days over the month from when I requested it, so it was only a couple of quid for stress-free browsing for the next week.
  • luvsnail
    • 3rd Sep 14, 8:38 AM
    • 3rd Sep 14, 8:38 AM
    Get unlimited data on Three - never worry about things like this again.
    • d123
    • By d123 3rd Sep 14, 11:17 AM
    • 8,059 Posts
    • 5,261 Thanks
    d123
    • 3rd Sep 14, 11:17 AM
    • 3rd Sep 14, 11:17 AM
    ask for the '£6.50 for 1gb' add-on,
    Originally posted by VT82
    Jeez, if that isn't enough proof of how Vodafone rip off their contract customers.
    ====
    • VT82
    • By VT82 3rd Sep 14, 12:19 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    VT82
    • 3rd Sep 14, 12:19 PM
    • 3rd Sep 14, 12:19 PM
    Jeez, if that isn't enough proof of how Vodafone rip off their contract customers.
    Originally posted by d123
    The pay as you go price for exceeding your data (without opting in to the add-on) is £6.50 for 250mb!
    • Mindless Wanderer
    • By Mindless Wanderer 3rd Sep 14, 3:15 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    Mindless Wanderer
    • 3rd Sep 14, 3:15 PM
    • 3rd Sep 14, 3:15 PM
    Get unlimited data on Three - never worry about things like this again.
    Originally posted by luvsnail
    Great idea - unless you want a signal indoors.

Or in rural areas.

Or in semi rural areas.

Or in small villages, coastal areas, under bridges, when the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, when the wind is blowing in the right direction......
    • zerog
    • By zerog 3rd Sep 14, 5:27 PM
    • 2,432 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    zerog
    • 3rd Sep 14, 5:27 PM
    • 3rd Sep 14, 5:27 PM
    Or don't use the facebook app, and use a browser where you can control what happens.
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 3rd Sep 14, 9:06 PM
    • 10,046 Posts
    • 2,992 Thanks
    chanz4
    • 3rd Sep 14, 9:06 PM
    • 3rd Sep 14, 9:06 PM
    have a look at my posts, we found this months ago with the facebook app
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 4th Sep 14, 12:28 PM
    • 23,381 Posts
    • 58,534 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    have a look at my posts, we found this months ago with the facebook app
    Originally posted by chanz4
    Yes BUT it appears to have reset with the latest App update.

I switched off video autoplay a few months ago as a result of either reading it on here or reading it in someone's FB status. My FB app updated last weekend, and I noticed that video autoplay had been switched on again after the update.

So you need to re-check and keep an eye on this.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 4th Sep 14, 1:50 PM
    • 6,294 Posts
    • 20,636 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Yes BUT it appears to have reset with the latest App update.
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    That's interesting because i have only just updated my FB app and it is still set to off after the update.
    • _Roxy_
    • By _Roxy_ 4th Sep 14, 5:40 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 2,350 Thanks
    _Roxy_
    I ended up with £13 of extra data charges due to this, rang Vodafone who were incredibly helpful and actually explained it was probably because of the Facebook app, wiped the charges and sent details of changing settings. First customer service experience with them and was really happy with how they dealt with the issue.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 7th Sep 14, 1:27 AM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 2,975 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Even with unlimited data, who wants annoying "sh*ts for likes" videos auto playing. I know I don't.
    • sdduk
    • By sdduk 7th Sep 14, 2:57 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    sdduk
    Great idea - unless you want a signal indoors.

Or in rural areas.

Or in semi rural areas.

Or in small villages, coastal areas, under bridges, when the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, when the wind is blowing in the right direction......
    Originally posted by Mindless Wanderer
    what you said goes for all the networks not just 3

3 share with EE and they are the biggest network provider

3 has one of the best price plans if not the best.

You are thinking of the 90s when 3 was really bad one of the best providers now.
    Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody, therefore I am Perfect
    • ZhugeEX
    • By ZhugeEX 7th Sep 14, 3:18 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    ZhugeEX
    You are thinking of the 90s when 3 was really bad one of the best providers now.
    Originally posted by sdduk
    Three wasn't even a company until 2003 haha.
  • seamark
    Facebook app user
    In August I got hit with a bill of £309 which I did not notice until the end of September as I was away on vacation most of the month. My September bill was £206. I phone vodafone and they informed me that I had gone well over the data limit. The phone is my sons so I was not tracking this, but he said he had been using it no differently than normal.

The advice from Vodafone was to take the phone into a Vodafone shop to have it checked. I did this and as soon as the Techie took the phone he went on to settings, then to Facebook and showed me what the problem was and changed it to WiFi only. What bugs me is he knew exactly what the problem was which mean Vodafone have been sitting back and not warning anyone about it.

I phoned, as suggested here, Vodafone again to see if I could get a refund. They refused and I must admit, legally they have done nothing wrong.

Surely an action against Facebook must be the way to go as the service providers, although morally are inept, cannot be held accountable. It is facebook we need to look at for compensation.

I have gone to the Ombudsman Services and lodged a complaint against Vodafone, but who do we go to in order to lodge one against Facebook?
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 15th Oct 14, 1:55 PM
    • 6,449 Posts
    • 12,981 Thanks
    dealer wins
    In August I got hit with a bill of £309 which I did not notice until the end of September as I was away on vacation most of the month. My September bill was £206. I phone vodafone and they informed me that I had gone well over the data limit. The phone is my sons so I was not tracking this, but he said he had been using it no differently than normal.

The advice from Vodafone was to take the phone into a Vodafone shop to have it checked. I did this and as soon as the Techie took the phone he went on to settings, then to Facebook and showed me what the problem was and changed it to WiFi only. What bugs me is he knew exactly what the problem was which mean Vodafone have been sitting back and not warning anyone about it.

I phoned, as suggested here, Vodafone again to see if I could get a refund. They refused and I must admit, legally they have done nothing wrong.

Surely an action against Facebook must be the way to go as the service providers, although morally are inept, cannot be held accountable. It is facebook we need to look at for compensation.

I have gone to the Ombudsman Services and lodged a complaint against Vodafone, but who do we go to in order to lodge one against Facebook?
    Originally posted by seamark
    IMO it is not facebook's fault, and certainly not Vodafone's fault.

It is down to the contract owner to check their data usage.
    • kingrulzuk
    • By kingrulzuk 15th Oct 14, 3:18 PM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    kingrulzuk
    I have deleted FB app long time ago
    What happens if you push this button?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

207Posts Today

1,487Users online

Martin's Twitter