Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 18th Aug 14, 3:59 PM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: Supermarkets to cut fuel prices ahead of the August bank holiday
    • 18th Aug 14, 3:59 PM
    MSE News: Supermarkets to cut fuel prices ahead of the August bank holiday 18th Aug 14 at 3:59 PM
    Drivers filling up at Asda, Sainsbury's and Tesco will see petrol prices fall by up to 2p/litre from tomorrow ...

Read the full story:

Supermarkets to cut fuel prices ahead of the August bank holiday

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 18th Aug 14, 5:33 PM
    • 9,738 Posts
    • 7,171 Thanks
    Crabman
    • 18th Aug 14, 5:33 PM
    • 18th Aug 14, 5:33 PM
    Has anyone reclaimed costs from the cartel, where they've filled up in advance of the price "cut" announcement and thus overpaid?

Perhaps MSE should publish a guide?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Aug 14, 6:52 PM
    • 24,371 Posts
    • 13,882 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 18th Aug 14, 6:52 PM
    • 18th Aug 14, 6:52 PM
    Has anyone reclaimed costs from the cartel, where they've filled up in advance of the price "cut" announcement and thus overpaid?
    Originally posted by Crabman
    Why would any retailer refund the cost of an imminent price drop? Prices fluctuate on a daily basis. Why would customers be able to "reclaim"?
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 18th Aug 14, 7:06 PM
    • 9,738 Posts
    • 7,171 Thanks
    Crabman
    • 18th Aug 14, 7:06 PM
    • 18th Aug 14, 7:06 PM
    Why would any retailer refund the cost of an imminent price drop? Prices fluctuate on a daily basis. Why would customers be able to "reclaim"?
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    If prices fluctuate on a daily basis, why do the retailers announce the price cut ahead of time? Why not simply cut the price as and when their own wholesale prices fluctuate? I don't recall seeing many press releases from fuel retailers when prices go up.

Going by all the releases about price cuts, you'd expect the price of unleaded to be around 70p/litre by now.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• stampede
    • By stampede 18th Aug 14, 7:11 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    stampede
    • 18th Aug 14, 7:11 PM
    • 18th Aug 14, 7:11 PM

Going by all the releases about price cuts, you'd expect the price of unleaded to be around 70p/litre by now.
    I disagree, they'd be paying you to take it off their hands.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Aug 14, 7:29 PM
    • 24,371 Posts
    • 13,882 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 18th Aug 14, 7:29 PM
    • 18th Aug 14, 7:29 PM
    If prices fluctuate on a daily basis, why do the retailers announce the price cut ahead of time?
    Clearly because they want to attract extra custom. It's up to the competitors to then match (or beat) the price cut.

Quite often there is a drop in the price of crude oil which is not mirrored in the price of petrol at the pumps. That's just the way the business is conducted.

This doesn't mean anyone who paid the original price can (or should) be able to "reclaim" the difference!
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 19th Aug 14, 2:02 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 19th Aug 14, 2:02 AM
    • 19th Aug 14, 2:02 AM
    The thing about speculation is, when they are all buying, the price goes up much higher than if it was based on supply and demand, and much lower if the speculators are dumping their contracts when they try to back out because shale gas is coming.

I look forward to the day when Goldman Sachs partners are jumping out of buildings, and we get 70p a litre petrol.
    • PenguinJim
    • By PenguinJim 19th Aug 14, 5:32 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    PenguinJim
    • 19th Aug 14, 5:32 AM
    • 19th Aug 14, 5:32 AM
    In my country it's 69p per litre for '95 Unleaded. And yes, we complain about petrol prices.
    • Totality
    • By Totality 19th Aug 14, 5:40 AM
    • 1,799 Posts
    • 5,564 Thanks
    Totality
    • 19th Aug 14, 5:40 AM
    • 19th Aug 14, 5:40 AM
    Ah, it's that time of the month already...
  • kandatoo
    In my country it's 69p per litre for '95 Unleaded. And yes, we complain about petrol prices.
    Originally posted by PenguinJim
    Where's that, if you don't mind me asking?
    • JC_Derby
    • By JC_Derby 19th Aug 14, 5:57 AM
    • 675 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    JC_Derby
    Didn't Morrisons, not reduce their prices last time either?
    • PenguinJim
    • By PenguinJim 19th Aug 14, 6:45 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    PenguinJim
    Where's that, if you don't mind me asking?
    Originally posted by kandatoo
    Taiwan. The prices are controlled by the government, too, so the NT$34.6/L (69p) I pay will be the same regardless of the petrol station I use.

Usually you get a gift such as two free boxes of tissues if you fill up (about £16 for me, once a week), but I've found a station that gives two boxes of tissues AND three bottles of some Red Bull-type stuff! So no more tissues or toilet paper go on the shopping list, and I don't need to worry about investing in a large pension because that Red Bull stuff will kill me long before then. Win-win!

I'll most likely be in Canada next, where the price/litre seems to be about 65p.

(Anyone in the UK feeling bad about petrol prices should take a look at Turkey!)
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 19th Aug 14, 7:49 AM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    tykesi
    that Red Bull stuff will kill me long before then
    Or you could use it to run the car on for another couple of days
    • ACG
    • By ACG 19th Aug 14, 8:07 AM
    • 19,317 Posts
    • 10,905 Thanks
    ACG

Perhaps MSE should publish a guide?
    Maybe you could go back to your boss and ask for unpaid wages on the basis that you were paid less before you had a pay rise?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 19th Aug 14, 11:39 AM
    • 9,738 Posts
    • 7,171 Thanks
    Crabman
    Maybe you could go back to your boss and ask for unpaid wages on the basis that you were paid less before you had a pay rise?
    Originally posted by ACG
    Comparing apples and oranges...

• pooch
    • By pooch 5th Sep 14, 11:43 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    pooch
    Well that didn't last long...

I noticed early this week that Asda had notched up the price of a litre (and where Asda have, then all other local supermarkets and filling stations in the area also have).
    Having said that, not every Asda has increased the price, but their national price cap has obviously gone up since this article.

Or are we due another amazing supermarket deal in the next week or so when they will once again slash the prices of fuel for the hard pressed Great British Public?
    Last edited by pooch; 05-09-2014 at 12:04 PM.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 5th Sep 14, 12:03 PM
    • 13,243 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    jimjames
    Well that didn't last long...

I noticed early this week that Asda had notched up the price of a litre (and where Asda have, then all other local supermarkets and filling stations in the area also have).
    Having said that, not every Asda has increased the price, but their national bottom line price has obviously gone up since this article.

Or are we due another amazing supermarket deal in the next week or so when they will once again slash the prices of fuel for the hard pressed Great British Public?
    Originally posted by pooch
    Not happened round us.

Prices are still a lot lower than before summer holidays.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • pooch
    • By pooch 5th Sep 14, 12:13 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    pooch
    Not happened round us...
    Originally posted by jimjames
    May I ask where you are?

I drive around a lot and have seen these changes across the land e.g. at Cheltenham in the West and Colchester in the East.
    (But as I also said, it's not at all Asda stores)
    • molerat
    • By molerat 5th Sep 14, 12:27 PM
    • 21,050 Posts
    • 15,291 Thanks
    molerat
    +1p at Asda here.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Castle
    • By Castle 5th Sep 14, 1:44 PM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    Castle
    +1p Increase at Tescos here (now 126.9/Litre)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,559Posts Today

7,773Users online

Martin's Twitter