Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 1st Jul 05, 2:52 PM
    • 4,448Posts
    • 21,699Thanks
    VickyA
    What can I make with.............
    • 1st Jul 05, 2:52 PM
    What can I make with............. 1st Jul 05 at 2:52 PM
    I'm going away for the week and I've got a few bits and pieces of veggies left, but I don't want to throw them away. I've looked through the Recipe thread, but don't have a clue what to do with:

mushrooms
    peppers (mainly green)
    carrots
    celery

Can anyone help me please? Ideally I'd like to do something that is easily freezable?

Thanks very much.

VickyA
Page 1
  • Lillibet
    • 1st Jul 05, 2:59 PM
    • 1st Jul 05, 2:59 PM
    Veggie sauce for pasta? I'd add a tin of tomatoes if you've got them, finely chop veggies & cook on hob for about 10-15 mins, allow to cool & freeze in batches.

HTH
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 1st Jul 05, 3:03 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 21,699 Thanks
    VickyA
    • 1st Jul 05, 3:03 PM
    • 1st Jul 05, 3:03 PM
    Veggie sauce for pasta? I'd add a tin of tomatoes if you've got them, finely chop veggies & cook on hob for about 10-15 mins, allow to cool & freeze in batches.

HTH
    by Lillibet
    Hadn't thought of that one! My brain is obviously frazzled and needs another cup of tea. mmmmm, pasta sauce. Might actually eat it whilst it's cooking, I'm that hungry! Thanks for the idea Lillibet
    • Mado
    • By Mado 1st Jul 05, 3:18 PM
    • 20,484 Posts
    • 42,143 Thanks
    Mado
    • 1st Jul 05, 3:18 PM
    • 1st Jul 05, 3:18 PM
    Otherwise "vegetable julienne".

Slice the whole lot quite small and put in a pan with a bit of butter with a lid on on slow heat. Should braise nicely and make lovely side dish.
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • Maisie
    • 1st Jul 05, 3:26 PM
    • 1st Jul 05, 3:26 PM
    Add rice to cooked veg /chicken stock/ cream for risotto ???
    • Bennifred
    • By Bennifred 1st Jul 05, 8:05 PM
    • 3,869 Posts
    • 7,945 Thanks
    Bennifred
    • 1st Jul 05, 8:05 PM
    • 1st Jul 05, 8:05 PM
    Spare veggies? Soup!
    [
    • elona
    • By elona 2nd Jul 05, 5:16 PM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 63,458 Thanks
    elona
    • 2nd Jul 05, 5:16 PM
    • 2nd Jul 05, 5:16 PM
    Vegetable frittata or omelette?
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 2nd Jul 05, 9:07 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 2nd Jul 05, 9:07 PM
    • 2nd Jul 05, 9:07 PM
    soup soup soup!

or veggie kebabs
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • aliasojo
    • 2nd Jul 05, 9:21 PM
    • 2nd Jul 05, 9:21 PM
    I saw the title and wanted to add..........'.... sticky backed plastic'.

Sorry, I just had a wee picture of my Mum flash into my mind there....she was the sticky backed plastic queen. She used to make all the woman's guild craft stuff for their sales of work years ago and our house was always full of the stuff. She even covered our fridge with wood effect stuff. (Not nice....I don't recommend, lol).

Ok....I'll get my coat and leave you all in peace to talk veggies.
    Herman - MP for all!
  • sarahmelita
    Veggie risotto, egg fried rice with veg, soup, (seems a popular choice!) veggie bake (veg with white or cheese sauce on top and bunged in the oven) That's about the extent of my repertoire I think!
    • toozie
    • By toozie 2nd Jul 05, 9:32 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    toozie
    Bake in oven on low heat drizzled with abit of Olive oil, and then make a roasted veg curry, serve with rice or jacket pot
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 3rd Jul 05, 3:27 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 21,699 Thanks
    VickyA
    Thanks for all your ideas. OH will be all veged out! His mum is very impressed (and annoyed) that he now eats any veg going, whereas when he was living with his parents nothing green would pass his lips! Probably now that he's 30, he's finally grown up?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

3,298Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin