Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 4th Aug 14, 10:39 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Had RAC or Budget insurance? Check you're not paying for unwanted cover
    • 4th Aug 14, 10:39 AM
    MSE News: Had RAC or Budget insurance? Check you're not paying for unwanted cover 4th Aug 14 at 10:39 AM
    "RAC and Budget insurance policyholders may be paying almost £50 a year for unwanted personal accident cover"...

Read the full story:

Had RAC or Budget insurance? Check you're not paying for unwanted cover

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • jorok
    • By jorok 4th Aug 14, 11:33 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    jorok
    • 4th Aug 14, 11:33 AM
    Ticked or not?
    • 4th Aug 14, 11:33 AM
    Pre-ticked boxed may have been banned by the EU in June, but there are also un-ticked boxed that you have to tick for an opt-out. Have these been banned too?
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 4th Aug 14, 4:24 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 4th Aug 14, 4:24 PM
    • 4th Aug 14, 4:24 PM
    Regardless of whether it's a tick or untick option, I thought the whole point of a comprehensive insurance policy is that you are covered for medical bills, and some pay-out like £20k for losing an eye.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 4th Aug 14, 5:22 PM
    • 5,358 Posts
    • 2,557 Thanks
    rs65
    • 4th Aug 14, 5:22 PM
    • 4th Aug 14, 5:22 PM
    Regardless of whether it's a tick or untick option, I thought the whole point of a comprehensive insurance policy is that you are covered for medical bills, and some pay-out like £20k for losing an eye.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    Comp insurance covers the car comprehensively. Mine includes medical expenses following injury but not lump sums like that.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 4th Aug 14, 5:54 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 4th Aug 14, 5:54 PM
    • 4th Aug 14, 5:54 PM
    This is from Churchill

Summary of benefits

With a comprehensive car insurance policy, you can enjoy all this cover as standard:
    • 24 hour accident recovery
    • Repairs guaranteed for 5 years when you use an approved repairer
    • If you have 4 years or more No Claim Discount, then you can choose to protect it
    • New for old cover on cars under 12 months old
    • Personal accident cover for policyholder and spouse or partner
    • Medical expenses following an accident
    • Cover for personal belongings in the car

I am probably mixing Travel Insurance with Car Insurance.

So if I lose a leg, I have to use Legal Cover to pursue the other party for compensation. I always thought £10k for a limb was way too low anyway.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 4th Aug 14, 5:59 PM
    • 5,358 Posts
    • 2,557 Thanks
    rs65
    • 4th Aug 14, 5:59 PM
    • 4th Aug 14, 5:59 PM
    So if I lose a leg, I have to use Legal Cover to pursue the other party for compensation. I always thought £10k for a limb was way too low anyway.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    If there is an other party. If not, you use the personal accident benefit on your own policy. I would never buy PA cover as an add-on. If I wanted it, I would buy 24 hour cover as a standalone product.
  • weejonnie
    • 4th Aug 14, 7:21 PM
    • 4th Aug 14, 7:21 PM
    And of course there is the MIB untraced drivers insurance scheme to obtain compensation if it's non fault and the other driver does a runner.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,601Posts Today

5,156Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin