Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lisa45
    • By Lisa45 24th Jul 14, 11:11 PM
    • 88Posts
    • 158Thanks
    Lisa45
    Green Deal Home Improvement Fund - door slammed shut 24 July no further applications
    • 24th Jul 14, 11:11 PM
    Green Deal Home Improvement Fund - door slammed shut 24 July no further applications 24th Jul 14 at 11:11 PM
    Press release rushed out tonight on www.gov.uk - GDHIF closed to further applications

I'm gutted - had my assessment done just yesterday, got my report this afternoon, sat down to apply when I got home from work tonight to find the door has been unceremoniously slammed shut and I got the message below-

"Due to overwhelming popular demand, the Green Deal Home Improvement Fund is closed for applications with immediate effect.

I can't believe I fell for the hype - I paid out for the assessment and it is now useless if I can't get a voucher for the work.

How can they just pull it with no warning?? Something fishy is going on - another farce for the Green Deal brand.

I bet there are hundreds if not thousands of people booked in for GDAR reports to be done, or like me who have just had a report done so we can apply for our vouchers. Hope they will give us all our money back ...

Anyone else in the same situation ??
Page 1
    • aggypanthus
    • By aggypanthus 24th Jul 14, 11:38 PM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 1,979 Thanks
    aggypanthus
    • 24th Jul 14, 11:38 PM
    • 24th Jul 14, 11:38 PM
    Wheres does it actually say it?
    • Lisa45
    • By Lisa45 24th Jul 14, 11:48 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Lisa45
    • 24th Jul 14, 11:48 PM
    • 24th Jul 14, 11:48 PM
    https://energy-saving-home-improvement-fund.service.gov.uk/
    • captainhindsight
    • By captainhindsight 25th Jul 14, 7:02 AM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    captainhindsight
    • 25th Jul 14, 7:02 AM
    • 25th Jul 14, 7:02 AM
    It is because almost 100m of vouchers were applied for in a single day. So it will have exceeded the 120m budget for the scheme this financial year.

Nothing wrong with the scheme it has been clear from the outset what the rules were and all the advice was to act quickly.

it is the same as all these things, so many consumers hesitate until it is too late and then miss out and then blame the scheme for there own mistake.
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 25th Jul 14, 7:24 AM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 25th Jul 14, 7:24 AM
    • 25th Jul 14, 7:24 AM
    It is because almost 100m of vouchers were applied for in a single day. So it will have exceeded the 120m budget for the scheme this financial year.

Nothing wrong with the scheme it has been clear from the outset what the rules were and all the advice was to act quickly.

it is the same as all these things, so many consumers hesitate until it is too late and then miss out and then blame the scheme for there own mistake.
    Originally posted by captainhindsight
    That what I would have said as well.

The information was very clear that there was a finite amount of money in the pot and the scheme would close when it was used.
    It's the same with the RHI, if too many people take it up then the benefits will reduce for those who didn't get in quickly.
    • Smiley Dan
    • By Smiley Dan 25th Jul 14, 7:58 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Smiley Dan
    • 25th Jul 14, 7:58 AM
    • 25th Jul 14, 7:58 AM
    Face, meet palm.
    • WestonDave
    • By WestonDave 25th Jul 14, 8:46 AM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 8,521 Thanks
    WestonDave
    • 25th Jul 14, 8:46 AM
    • 25th Jul 14, 8:46 AM
    Whilst the limit was always there, I also smell a rat here. £100m worth all applied for in one day? applied for by separate individuals would be at least 16500 people all applying for solid wall insulation (the full £6k). Or has some cowboy company gone through the list of EPC's in their area, picked up all the ones with solid walls, applied for grants in their names and is now cold calling them telling them they can have their solid wall insulation for free/dirt cheap. If the money all actually gets paid out then fair enough but if a disproportionate amount never actually happens then I think there will be uproar.
    Adventure before Dementia!
    • GDA/DEA
    • By GDA/DEA 25th Jul 14, 9:36 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    GDA/DEA
    • 25th Jul 14, 9:36 AM
    • 25th Jul 14, 9:36 AM
    Whilst the limit was always there, I also smell a rat here. £100m worth all applied for in one day? applied for by separate individuals would be at least 16500 people all applying for solid wall insulation (the full £6k). Or has some cowboy company gone through the list of EPC's in their area, picked up all the ones with solid walls, applied for grants in their names and is now cold calling them telling them they can have their solid wall insulation for free/dirt cheap. If the money all actually gets paid out then fair enough but if a disproportionate amount never actually happens then I think there will be uproar.
    Originally posted by WestonDave
    I agree, I too smell a rat here, we were still reeling from the short notice cutting of flue gas heat recovery announced 2 days ago, having just started to see some work coming through, this unfortunately is the ECO debacle all over again!

Have had to cancel 3 GDAR appointments for today and more for next week as all were for GDHIF funding,

The governments energy policy seems to be a series of feast or famine events, so the moral of the story is, when the next feast is launched get in quickly!
    • captainhindsight
    • By captainhindsight 25th Jul 14, 9:52 AM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    captainhindsight
    • 25th Jul 14, 9:52 AM
    • 25th Jul 14, 9:52 AM
    Bit of an update on this, DECC have being doing the rounds contacting all companies involved in this.

They have stopped applications because the total value of the applied for vouchers is in excess of £120m.

Not all of these applications will be successful, so this will happen if measures that have been applied for arent recommended on the EPC or GDAR etc...

So this may open up applications at a later date, but it's clutching at straws a bit...

If its insulation you are after ECO CERO (all solid walls and not means tested) and CSCO (lowest 25% lowest income areas for cavity and loft insulation) funding should be released again soon.

So don't be too disheartened if you've mist out,just make sure you don't hesitate next time. As applying for the voucher would not have committed you to the install it would have just reserved the money for your job.
  • Former MSE Darryl
    MSE News: Green Deal Home Improvement Fund closes after just six weeks
    "The Government's Green Deal Home Improvement Fund, which offers households money to make their homes more energy-efficient, closed last night after the £120m allocated for it ran out..."

Read the full story:

Green Deal Home Improvement Fund closes after just six weeks

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

• captainhindsight
    • By captainhindsight 25th Jul 14, 10:03 AM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    captainhindsight
    I agree, I too smell a rat here, we were still reeling from the short notice cutting of flue gas heat recovery announced 2 days ago, having just started to see some work coming through, this unfortunately is the ECO debacle all over again!

Have had to cancel 3 GDAR appointments for today and more for next week as all were for GDHIF funding,

The governments energy policy seems to be a series of feast or famine events, so the moral of the story is, when the next feast is launched get in quickly!
    Originally posted by GDA/DEA
    I think it is still worth while for people to carry out an EPC or GDAR so when a new scheme opens they can apply for it straight away.

As all of these schemes will require an EPC or GDAR to qualify.

As ECO CERO and CSCO should be coming soon, we have just tendered for a lot of CERO and CSCO funding with a couple of energy companies on the back of the confirmation of the new ECO obligations.
    • aggypanthus
    • By aggypanthus 25th Jul 14, 1:10 PM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 1,979 Thanks
    aggypanthus
    I got a letter today from BG offering free insulation, it that offer now closed?
    • highguyuk
    • By highguyuk 25th Jul 14, 1:16 PM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    highguyuk
    It's unbelieveable how so much money went in so little time. I also can't believe the amount of people allegedly claiming for Solid Wall works!

Personally, I'm gutted. Had engineers to quote, quote accepted and EPC/GDAR arranged for Monday morning (arranged prior to the announcement this week). I'm aware that even if the scheme was to come back online again, it won't be a generous as it is so this is now missed opportunity.
    -highguyuk-

• Johnandabby
    • By Johnandabby 25th Jul 14, 2:37 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    Johnandabby
    Whatever the intentions, the Govt seems to do exactly what is required to p*%& off both consumers and professionals. There should be a well-thought through scheme in place, with clear educational messages - not a massive scrum for a fixed pot of money which ends up being grabbed by those rich/connected enough to get in line first...

Absolute joke...
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 25th Jul 14, 2:58 PM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    lstar337
    a massive scrum for a fixed pot of money which ends up being grabbed by those rich/connected enough to get in line first...
    Originally posted by Johnandabby
    Sounds like an apt description for government in general.
    • Smiley Dan
    • By Smiley Dan 25th Jul 14, 3:29 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Smiley Dan
    There should be a well-thought through scheme in place, with clear educational messages - not a massive scrum for a fixed pot of money which ends up being grabbed by those rich/connected enough to get in line first...
    Originally posted by Johnandabby
    There shouldn't be a 'scheme' at all. Governments are rubbish at them. They should just subsidise the cost of materials. No rules, administration or bureaucracy.
  • Braeside
    Options still available....
    An option would still be Green Deal. Although it is not as attractive as it was 24 hours ago, I would suggest a Green Deal survey, see what can be paid for, the Home Improvement Fund was not your only option. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Braeside; 25-07-2014 at 4:04 PM. Reason: remove text
    • WestonDave
    • By WestonDave 25th Jul 14, 3:53 PM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 8,521 Thanks
    WestonDave
    Its basically a repeat of the Solar PV FiT fiasco - scheme announced, no safeguards against the bulk installers mopping up capacity, budget hit very suddenly, with the whole thing being clamped down leaving those who've paid for surveys etc but who won't now get a grant out of pocket. By the Sunday papers we'll be awash with photos of sad looking people feeling ripped off, and so getting any future scheme off the ground will then be harder as people won't want to be caught the same way.
    Adventure before Dementia!
    • captainhindsight
    • By captainhindsight 25th Jul 14, 3:56 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    captainhindsight
    There shouldn't be a 'scheme' at all. Governments are rubbish at them. They should just subsidise the cost of materials. No rules, administration or bureaucracy.
    Originally posted by Smiley Dan
    You still need approved companies to do the work, to ensure the work is done correctly and you need to ensure the work is actually being done.

With subsidized materials, people could buy them not actually use them then the whole thing has been a waste of money.

Where with this, we know the work is actually been done and to a high standard by trained tradesmen not just some dodgy diy jobs.

I don't think there is anything wrong with what has happened with this the rules were clear, it was fairly simple (get a gdar/epc, implement certain recommendations get the cashback).

People who have mist out have been over thinking it and getting confused, and not having a sense of urgency about applying for the voucher.
    • highguyuk
    • By highguyuk 25th Jul 14, 3:58 PM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    highguyuk
    I rang the Energy Saving Trust to voice my frustrations, and was advised to make a formal complaint on record which I did. The call operator suggested this, and even suggested if the volume of complaints was sufficient something may happen.

I'm not sure I believe that, but I'd encourage anyone who is affected by this or right royally peeved as I am, to ring and formally complain.
    -highguyuk-

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

262Posts Today

5,347Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin