Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 8th Jul 14, 6:09 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Should you call your bank before going abroad?
    • 8th Jul 14, 6:09 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Should you call your bank before going abroad? 8th Jul 14 at 6:09 PM
    When you use your card to make purchases abroad, it can mean you display an abnormal spending pattern...

Read the full story:

Should you call your bank before going abroad?

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • PeteDoff
    • By PeteDoff 8th Jul 14, 7:16 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    PeteDoff
    • 8th Jul 14, 7:16 PM
    • 8th Jul 14, 7:16 PM
    When you use your card to make purchases abroad, it can mean you display an abnormal spending pattern...
    Originally posted by MSE Helen
    I'd better call my bank before spending anything in Britain then.
    Turning left avoids some of the idiots (only some)
    • maman
    • By maman 8th Jul 14, 7:28 PM
    • 19,773 Posts
    • 118,158 Thanks
    maman
    • 8th Jul 14, 7:28 PM
    • 8th Jul 14, 7:28 PM
    I do this but get varied responses. When I explain that I may use my debit/credit card. Some thank me and make a note of it. Others sound bemused and tell me to have a lovely holiday!
  • menai
    • 8th Jul 14, 8:00 PM
    Using Credit Card abroad
    • 8th Jul 14, 8:00 PM
    I have just contacted SANTANDER, your information id incorrect. You do NOT have to notify them if using credit card in Europe.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 8th Jul 14, 8:04 PM
    • 11,540 Posts
    • 48,331 Thanks
    whitewing
    • 8th Jul 14, 8:04 PM
    • 8th Jul 14, 8:04 PM
    I did (two banks) and everything worked well.
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 8th Jul 14, 8:14 PM
    • 2,829 Posts
    • 2,793 Thanks
    harz99
    • 8th Jul 14, 8:14 PM
    • 8th Jul 14, 8:14 PM
    I have just contacted SANTANDER, your information id incorrect. You do NOT have to notify them if using credit card in Europe.
    Originally posted by menai

And what happens if your going further than Europe...............?
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 8th Jul 14, 8:37 PM
    • 11,540 Posts
    • 48,331 Thanks
    whitewing
    • 8th Jul 14, 8:37 PM
    • 8th Jul 14, 8:37 PM
    I didn't tell my bank when we went to centreparcs for the weekend and they blocked my Tesco order that I did online on the Sunday morning for delivery when we got back! (I know I should get a life).
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 8th Jul 14, 8:50 PM
    • 10,182 Posts
    • 15,822 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 8th Jul 14, 8:50 PM
    • 8th Jul 14, 8:50 PM
    It makes no difference, its all algorithms. Bought currency with your debit card? Used your card at Gatwick? Buying dinner in Bodrum? Computer says yes. Clever things these systems.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • boots_babe
    • By boots_babe 8th Jul 14, 9:25 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    boots_babe
    • 8th Jul 14, 9:25 PM
    • 8th Jul 14, 9:25 PM
    I don't understand why in the article Nationwide is listed as one of the ones you SHOULD call.

Every time we go away, I always call my banks just in case. Every time, Nationwide always tell me I don't need to tell them - I don't even get as far as telling them where I'm travelling, or dates.

They always say instead, to use the card for a transaction at the airport before leaving, as that way they'll know that I've travelled abroad.

So I'm not sure the article is quite up to date?

(I should add that I've rung them about 3 times a year for at least the last 2 to 3 years, and this has always been Nationwide's response).

• PeteDoff
    • By PeteDoff 8th Jul 14, 9:33 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    PeteDoff
    They always say instead, to use the card for a transaction at the airport before leaving, as that way they'll know that I've travelled abroad.
    Originally posted by boots_babe
    Buying something in a UK airport doubles the cost of the trip though.
    Turning left avoids some of the idiots (only some)
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 8th Jul 14, 9:36 PM
    • 30,824 Posts
    • 78,916 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Barclaycard is listed as "No" but I've had trouble twice and that was only in other parts of the UK!
    • tobiascurious
    • By tobiascurious 8th Jul 14, 9:48 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    tobiascurious
    Similarly, it's also a good idea to have your card provider's 24-hour telephone number with you, in case you need to contact it about any problems.
    by article
    Didn't a previous version of this article have a very useful list of what these numbers are? Because in my experience they're never that easy to find on bank websites..
    • markyuleuk
    • By markyuleuk 8th Jul 14, 10:05 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    markyuleuk
    I always let Halifax know when I am going away after my card was stopped in Japan In January. When I asked them why "It was because you never told us and your wife had used her card in the UK on the same day" since then I have not had a problem. I love the look on there face when I give the a piece of paper each month with about 5 counties that I will be visiting and dates, and say I may use my card abroad this month and here`s where.
    • WelshRarebit
    • By WelshRarebit 8th Jul 14, 10:27 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    WelshRarebit
    Last time I went abroad tried to use Co-Op Visa to pay for car hire in the States. Told them before leaving where I would be traveling, the dates and even the name of the car hire company I would be using. Also double checked they had up to date mobile phone details. In hindsight I don't know why I bothered. First time I use the card to pay for hire car card is rejected. Tried several more times which resulted in card getting blocked. Luckily I had other cards which worked no problem.

The best part is when I get home there are several messages on my home answer machine from Co-op fraud department asking me to call them back urgently. This is despite the fact that there were supposed to be notes on my account to say I would be out of the country and to contact me on mobile phone. I mean...whats the point of going to the trouble to inform these morons if they just ignore everything you tell them!?!
    • dmet
    • By dmet 8th Jul 14, 10:54 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    dmet
    Reference Tesco Credit Card who say you don't need to contact them.

One thing not to do which I happened to do in New Zealand at the end of a 3 week holiday is use a credit card / bank card in a payphone. As it is a small value transaction, it flags up a classic low value fraud even though they are encouraged to be used in the call boxes.

It is common for card scammers to test the card with low value transactions before hitting it hard. I used a public phone box to call a friend twice as it didn't seem to connect first time which triggered a block. I didn't find out until trying to pay for a meal later. The downside was I had already paid for an apartment. Took a couple of days to track and got stopped.

I only found out when checking emails that they wanted paying, as well as the next nights accommodation calling through to my room at the same time I was on the phone to the card company who would not release it as I couldn't recall why I had low value transaction. To their credit I had a missed call on my mobile (not used overseas) and when I got home a message on my home phone. Not much use when you are on holiday.

Another note is a lot of public payphones in New Zealand and Singapore won't let you make reverse calls to companies so I couldn't sort things out until I got back to the UK 24 hours later.

My mistake was to not take a back up credit card.
    Last edited by dmet; 08-07-2014 at 10:58 PM.
    • lollipopsarah
    • By lollipopsarah 8th Jul 14, 11:26 PM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    lollipopsarah
    We always phone ahead re holiday - i.e. where/when/how long and what we would use it for, likely duty free type stuff etc.
    xx
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 9th Jul 14, 6:45 AM
    • 8,642 Posts
    • 13,896 Thanks
    jackieblack
    I don't understand why in the article Nationwide is listed as one of the ones you SHOULD call.

Every time we go away, I always call my banks just in case. Every time, Nationwide always tell me I don't need to tell them - I don't even get as far as telling them where I'm travelling, or dates.

So I'm not sure the article is quite up to date?

(I should add that I've rung them about 3 times a year for at least the last 2 to 3 years, and this has always been Nationwide's response).
    Originally posted by boots_babe
    So if they don't need to know, why is there a facility on Nationwide's website to advise them of dates and destination for travel abroad?
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4
    (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    Jan £105.26, Feb £103.31,Mar £135.77, Apr £104.51, May £50

• duchy
    • By duchy 9th Jul 14, 6:51 AM
    • 18,251 Posts
    • 46,601 Thanks
    duchy
    NatWest don't want to know.
    I used to see how long it took them when I went to the US-it varied enormously.
    One time I bought an air ticket online and it showed as a US transaction and then bought stuff at my local corner shop that I use the card at frequently -so they blocked the card- as I apparently couldn't be in two countries on the same day (I now try to not use my card for 24 hours after arrival to avoid this issue).
    The one time my card was cloned and was used fraudulently in the US. I called -fraud dept said they had blocked the card- but the chap apparently didn't do it until I rang again two days later to say more charges had appeared (so their complaints team informed me when I complained at how long they were taking to replace the card)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 9th Jul 14, 7:08 AM
    • 9,293 Posts
    • 31,049 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I phone ahead in the same way I check tetanus & EHIC status. Just to prevent it being an issue.
    I get responses from the trying to find somewhere to record it on the computer through to estimated dates & times - but I always call.
    • Indout96
    • By Indout96 9th Jul 14, 7:13 AM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 2,860 Thanks
    Indout96
    With HSBC you just fill in where you are going on the internet banking site and the dates. BUT it will only let you do one country at a time so on our cruise I had to fill 7 forms out :-(
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,443Users online

Martin's Twitter