Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 26th Jun 14, 1:03 PM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: Paying cheques by photo set to come soon, Government confirms
    • 26th Jun 14, 1:03 PM
    MSE News: Paying cheques by photo set to come soon, Government confirms 26th Jun 14 at 1:03 PM
    You'll soon be able to pay a cheque into your bank simply by uploading a photo of it, under new Government measures ...

Read the full story:

Paying cheques by photo set to come soon, Government confirms

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 26th Jun 14, 2:52 PM
    • 51,709 Posts
    • 21,932 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 26th Jun 14, 2:52 PM
    • 26th Jun 14, 2:52 PM
    The article doesn't say that the recipient has to receive and keep the original paper cheque.
    Otherwise I predict a hike in cheques-related fraud.

And I guess it doesn't have to be a smartphone or tablet. What's wrong with a PC?
    Last edited by grumbler; 26-06-2014 at 2:57 PM.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 26th Jun 14, 8:08 PM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 1,463 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 26th Jun 14, 8:08 PM
    • 26th Jun 14, 8:08 PM
    It's a novel idea, but I can't actually see it being much use to many people. I can't remember the last time I received a cheque from anybody.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 26th Jun 14, 8:21 PM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 26th Jun 14, 8:21 PM
    • 26th Jun 14, 8:21 PM
    It's a novel idea, but I can't actually see it being much use to many people. I can't remember the last time I received a cheque from anybody.
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    The article says "nearly £840 billion of cheques were processed in 2012" so it might be more use than you think.

I get lots of cheques and would love to pay by photo. It's so difficult for me to get to the bank during work hours.
    • happy with my lot!!
    • By happy with my lot!! 26th Jun 14, 8:30 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    happy with my lot!!
    • 26th Jun 14, 8:30 PM
    • 26th Jun 14, 8:30 PM
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    I still get paid by cheque and it's just a pain!
    • billbennett
    • By billbennett 26th Jun 14, 8:51 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    billbennett
    • 26th Jun 14, 8:51 PM
    • 26th Jun 14, 8:51 PM
    Amazon sent me a cheque earlier this week for 33p. I'm not trekking into town to bank that.
    In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 27th Jun 14, 3:57 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 27th Jun 14, 3:57 PM
    • 27th Jun 14, 3:57 PM
    Amazon sent me a cheque earlier this week for 33p. I'm not trekking into town to bank that.
    Originally posted by billbennett

E.On sent me a refund cheque for about £1.30, to MY address, for a very short void period, but it's payable to the letting agent, probably because they reported the check-out meter readings. What is the result? I throw it away.

Now, if E.On makes it standard practice to ALWAY print the wrong payee for small amounts, they could make tens of thousands. Make you suspicious, doesn't it?
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 27th Jun 14, 4:22 PM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 27th Jun 14, 4:22 PM
    • 27th Jun 14, 4:22 PM
    Originally posted by billbennett
    I had two cheques for 4p each the other day. I paid them in (I was in there anyway - honest!) and the woman's "what a waste of my time" expression made it all worthwhile.
    • SurfKing
    • By SurfKing 28th Jun 14, 12:57 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    SurfKing
    • 28th Jun 14, 12:57 AM
    • 28th Jun 14, 12:57 AM
    Other countries have had this for ages, glad to see it's finally coming here!
    • savetilibleed
    • By savetilibleed 30th Jun 14, 10:01 PM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    savetilibleed
    When I paid some cheques in just after Christmas, using the Lloyds paying in machine, it prints a small image of the cheque of the receipt. So I guess us uploading an image is not so different to that as their machine simply scans and reads the cheque in the same way a photo uploaded could be.
    • inmypocketnottheirs
    • By inmypocketnottheirs 30th Jun 14, 10:11 PM
    • 4,535 Posts
    • 2,159 Thanks
    inmypocketnottheirs
    In the US it is possible to scan cheques to the ban in the same way. In fact it isn't even necessary when paying by cheque to send the actual cheque, an email scan is sufficient.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 1st Jul 14, 9:08 PM
    • 3,481 Posts
    • 3,943 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    When I paid some cheques in just after Christmas, using the Lloyds paying in machine, it prints a small image of the cheque of the receipt. So I guess us uploading an image is not so different to that as their machine simply scans and reads the cheque in the same way a photo uploaded could be.
    Originally posted by savetilibleed
    You get a photocopy of the cheque, yes, but the physical item is still sent off to be processed through the clearings. This removes the physical item from the equation entirely.

I do however think there will be an absolutely incredible uplift in first party fraud from this. Cheques are fraud magnets, and that's even with the requirement to deposit a physical item which can be inspected. There is absolutely nothing to stop someone photoshopping a new codeline onto an image of a cheque and getting a completely nonexistent fraudulent cheque stuck through the clearings.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 1st Jul 14, 10:27 PM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    shortcrust
    I'm not sure fraud will be a big issue because I suspect it'll to be "subject to status". A good history with the bank and a good credit record.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

1,760Users online

Martin's Twitter