Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 23rd Jun 14, 4:19 PM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: Government to ban CCTV parking 'spy cars'
    • 23rd Jun 14, 4:19 PM
    MSE News: Government to ban CCTV parking 'spy cars' 23rd Jun 14 at 4:19 PM
    The Government is clamping down on trigger-happy parking wardens and banning CCTV 'spy cars' ...

Read the full story:

Government to ban CCTV parking 'spy cars'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 23rd Jun 14, 5:04 PM
    • 4,163 Posts
    • 3,549 Thanks
    Kite2010
    • 23rd Jun 14, 5:04 PM
    • 23rd Jun 14, 5:04 PM
    I wonder if it will include Private parking companies who invoice by post, that would screw up Parking Eye quite well
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 23rd Jun 14, 6:00 PM
    • 27,013 Posts
    • 37,264 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 23rd Jun 14, 6:00 PM
    • 23rd Jun 14, 6:00 PM
    Unfortunately this only appears to be on-road tickets.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 23rd Jun 14, 7:07 PM
    • 14,794 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    bod1467
    • 23rd Jun 14, 7:07 PM
    • 23rd Jun 14, 7:07 PM
    I've not checked yet, but ..... I'm surprised this is here and not the Parking sub-forum.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 23rd Jun 14, 8:48 PM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 5,554 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 23rd Jun 14, 8:48 PM
    • 23rd Jun 14, 8:48 PM
    There's a thread about this in Discussion Time, been going a couple of days.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4999833
    • minislim
    • By minislim 24th Jun 14, 7:45 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    minislim
    • 24th Jun 14, 7:45 AM
    • 24th Jun 14, 7:45 AM
    excellent news. its about time this was clamped (pardon the pun) down on.

When the CCTV camera car was introduced up here in oldham the council stated that it would only be used for enforcement outside the schools.
    they even ran a competition for pupils to name the new car.

but then within a few weeks it was being seen in all manners of places miles away from schools.

even after a series of complaints the council said they where only using it for the schools. until several photographs where published in the local paper of it being elsewhere.

its the abuse of power by the councils that have made the government rethink the rules.
    and i welcome that!
    • Aquamania
    • By Aquamania 24th Jun 14, 8:30 AM
    • 2,019 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    Aquamania
    • 24th Jun 14, 8:30 AM
    • 24th Jun 14, 8:30 AM
    One of its key plans is to ban the use of 'spy cars' to catch people who park illegally, which is says should end the "plague" of tickets being issued by post
    Hmmm... so if you can't get the numbers down by stopping those who park illegally, get them down by hindering attempts to identify such offences.
    • spikyone
    • By spikyone 24th Jun 14, 9:42 AM
    • 449 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    spikyone
    • 24th Jun 14, 9:42 AM
    • 24th Jun 14, 9:42 AM
    Hmmm... so if you can't get the numbers down by stopping those who park illegally, get them down by hindering attempts to identify such offences.
    Originally posted by Aquamania
    I'm not sure why you think cameras stop anything. They're passive devices that can only record the "offence" once it's happened, and worse still they can't discriminate vehicles that have broken down or are (legally) loading.

Instead of spending money on spy cars and their drivers, councils could provide additional or lower-cost parking, which would also attract more shoppers to town centres. Perhaps they could also require that new development housing is built with sufficient on- and off-road parking.

And before anyone suggests that increased use of public transport would help, outside of major cities, that generally isn't a useful option.
    • minislim
    • By minislim 24th Jun 14, 10:35 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    minislim
    • 24th Jun 14, 10:35 AM
    • 24th Jun 14, 10:35 AM
    And before anyone suggests that increased use of public transport would help, outside of major cities, that generally isn't a useful option.
    Originally posted by spikyone
    I totally agree. in fact they're cutting back even further on out of town and city public transport up here.

so the need for cars is become ever more popoular
  • Puffin74
    I think they are needed around schools as our primary school is constantly battling with parents 'parking' on double yellow lines, zig zag lines, on sharp corners and on junctions - madness!!
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 25th Jun 14, 11:42 AM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 5,554 Thanks
    Johno100
    I think they are needed around schools as our primary school is constantly battling with parents 'parking' on double yellow lines, zig zag lines, on sharp corners and on junctions - madness!!
    Originally posted by Puffin74
    Yes, we don't want those traffic wardens (or whatever they are calling them this week) to get sore feet and tired legs by actually walking down the road.
    • minislim
    • By minislim 25th Jun 14, 4:19 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    minislim
    Originally posted by Puffin74
    i would agree with this. but our local council got greedy and started using it for other purposes.

if they'd have been sensible with it. maybe it wouldnt have come down to a total ban.

one of the most amusing situations we've had is the cctv car parking up on double yellow lines causing an obstruction in the first place.

i had to get a photo of it to send to the local press just for proof of the double standards.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

514Posts Today

4,664Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Should tax be increased so social care for the elderly is free to all? The Institute for? https://t.co/SlniDzD9Zp

• I'm on my way to @GMB for my 7:40 tips of the week. This week incl a free £175 for switching bank, a sweet Nectar t? https://t.co/y6FrOdBV5d

• Quick twitter poll: Will Theresa May still be the PM of the UK a week today?

• Follow Martin