Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 20th Jun 14, 11:24 AM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: Sky TV customers face up to 10% price hike
    • 20th Jun 14, 11:24 AM
    MSE News: Sky TV customers face up to 10% price hike 20th Jun 14 at 11:24 AM
    Sky's announced an up to 10% price hike in September for some of its minimum contract term TV subscribers ...

Read the full story:

Sky TV customers face up to 10% price hike

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Deadbeat
    • By Deadbeat 20th Jun 14, 11:30 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    Deadbeat
    • 20th Jun 14, 11:30 AM
    Disappointing
    • 20th Jun 14, 11:30 AM
    A rather unpleasant thing to do to subscribers in their minimum contract terms.

And a rather steep rise as well. Might prove counterproductive for them in terms of lost business.

I can predict the spin they'll put on it; I used to work for them. And I didn't believe it then either.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 20th Jun 14, 11:33 AM
    • 34,916 Posts
    • 40,977 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 20th Jun 14, 11:33 AM
    • 20th Jun 14, 11:33 AM
    needs all those minimum contract people to ring up en masse at the end of their term and give 30 days notice....and see what retention offers they get to stay
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 20th Jun 14, 12:47 PM
    • 22,461 Posts
    • 28,477 Thanks
    Redx
    • 20th Jun 14, 12:47 PM
    • 20th Jun 14, 12:47 PM
    The TV giant has posted online that prices for subscribers locked into a minimum contract term, which is generally anyone within the first year of their contract, will rise by up to 10% from 1 September

However Sky wouldn't tell us exactly which TV subscribers are affected, or how many customers will be hit by the increase. It says it is writing letters to customers in July outlining the price change and until it's informed its users it won't give us any more information.

Here's what the firm would tell us:
    • The price rise will only "impact some Sky TV users" locked into a minimum contract term.
    • While the disclaimer on Sky's website says "in accordance with our standard terms, your Sky TV package may rise by up to 10%", the provider told us the price rise is likely to be around 2.5% in line with its previous price hikes.
    • Sky line rental and broadband prices are unaffected by the TV price change. So if you've a Sky TV bundle as well as line rental or broadband and you're one of the customers affected, only the TV part of your package will increase.
    MoneySavingExpert.com's senior consumer analyst, Sally Francis says: "An up to 10% price rise is a substantial increase, especially when some Sky TV packages can cost around £70/month as it stands – this'll take bills to nearly £80 a year.
    spot the deliberate mistake ?

take bills to £80 per month or nearly £1000 per year , surely ?
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • minislim
    • By minislim 20th Jun 14, 1:38 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    minislim
    • 20th Jun 14, 1:38 PM
    • 20th Jun 14, 1:38 PM
    glad i dont have sky!

and never will have judging by this!
    • MarkBargain
    • By MarkBargain 20th Jun 14, 2:08 PM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    MarkBargain
    • 20th Jun 14, 2:08 PM
    • 20th Jun 14, 2:08 PM
    Nearly £1,000 a year, and then they carry adverts on their channels.

Meanwhile, the BBC licence fee has stayed the same since 2010 at £145.50 a year / £12.13 a month and people still complain about that.
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 20th Jun 14, 4:01 PM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    VisionMan
    • 20th Jun 14, 4:01 PM
    • 20th Jun 14, 4:01 PM
    Its exactly this reason why I ditched them. Then, the full package cost £64 a mth. How much is it now with HD and Multiroom, £100+ ?
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 20th Jun 14, 5:35 PM
    • 6,305 Posts
    • 2,886 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 20th Jun 14, 5:35 PM
    • 20th Jun 14, 5:35 PM
    Best you get yourself an Amazon Fire TV box or similar and install XBMC media centre and Mashup. Plenty of good subscription free TV. More than what you'll find on Sky.
    • RowaN
    • By RowaN 20th Jun 14, 6:05 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    RowaN
    • 20th Jun 14, 6:05 PM
    • 20th Jun 14, 6:05 PM
    Stop watching TV, and go outside!
    I hear the cry of the silence around me.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 20th Jun 14, 7:16 PM
    • 9,146 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I was quite happy with Freeview and will be quite happy to return to it, once my free year of Sky is over. I don't watch sport and most of the other programmes are repeats or from the USA (These all seem very similar; mainly police investigation)
  • neil40
    I feel a phone call threatening to cancel coming soon!
    • Sparx
    • By Sparx 20th Jun 14, 8:41 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    Sparx
    I've had Sky for 3 years and move home next week, I agreed to a new 12m contract as I was offered a £30 pm deal for 12 months. This was for everything TV, phone and broadband.

It will be interesting to see if 1 month later, they send me a letter putting my TV up 10% at the beginning of a new 12 month agreement, which was to retain my custom in the first place...

If they dare send me a letter, queue a nasty phone call to Sky's contact centre.
    Last edited by Sparx; 20-06-2014 at 8:43 PM.
  • wilcochris
    Please don't shout at us when you call. We don't like it as much as you guys. I personally think any price rise sucks.

You may well find that you will get a price rise letter.
    • Sparx
    • By Sparx 20th Jun 14, 9:07 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    Sparx
    Please don't shout at us when you call. We don't like it as much as you guys. I personally think any price rise sucks.

Originally posted by wilcochris
    Don't feel bad, I work in a call centre so know how it all works, I don't get vicious.

Just very stern and expect to be treated as a customer, not a number, especially during a new contract to retain my custom.

If it was one of my customer's at work I would ensure these charges do not apply in my scenario as it would be ludicrous and a huge insult.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 20th Jun 14, 10:34 PM
    • 6,305 Posts
    • 2,886 Thanks
    LeeUK
    What is it with Sky and all these over hyped USA dramas and seasons? Whatever happened to British made stuff?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 20th Jun 14, 11:16 PM
    • 9,146 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    teddysmum
    What is it with Sky and all these over hyped USA dramas and seasons? Whatever happened to British made stuff?
    Originally posted by LeeUK

They don't spend a lot on their own productions, so, as we have our British tv programmes, the only way to provide 'exclusive' content is to import it second hand.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 21st Jun 14, 12:38 AM
    • 23,615 Posts
    • 12,946 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Wasn't it ever thus?
    If Sky existed thirty-five years ago, they'd have acquired Dallas and Dynasty etc.
    The BBC (and ITV/CH4) still produce British material- but Sky can hardly pinch such "in house" productions.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 21st Jun 14, 7:25 AM
    • 4,708 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    I just phoned to cancel sky sports and the HD package( don't see any difference in HD ). As usual they took my cancellation, no offers and it costs to phone them which is a total ripoff. They put you on hold for ages.
    travelover
    • billbennett
    • By billbennett 21st Jun 14, 7:45 AM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    billbennett
    So, does this mean that people NOT in a minimum term will get away without the increase?

Doesn't scare me though, i'm just riding out until my contract expires in November, already got 2 Freesat boxes ready to go, and any price rise that might allow me to get out of contract early is welcome...
    In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
    • Deadbeat
    • By Deadbeat 21st Jun 14, 8:48 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    Deadbeat

Originally posted by wilcochris
    I know; I used to work on Turnaround in 1996.

Glad I no longer work at Sky, and never will again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,918Posts Today

6,295Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The maths is wrong. Even if MPs weren't given a penny by the state in salary or expenses, it'd save a trivial count? https://t.co/Kgskcjd6eG

• What an utterly depressing watch this is. I think the MP handles it as well as possible. Good on him for not just t? https://t.co/LrSY56HbPA

• RT @Caitch22: @MartinSLewis Maybe the cheap housing, final salary scheme generation that want to tax the young should pay for their own car?

• Follow Martin