Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • D&DD
    • By D&DD 14th Oct 07, 2:34 PM
    • 4,331Posts
    • 29,868Thanks
    D&DD
    Family of 5 'shop from home'food storage challenge...
    • 14th Oct 07, 2:34 PM
    Family of 5 'shop from home'food storage challenge... 14th Oct 07 at 2:34 PM
    Hi Everyone

This month has been a nightmare for us even though I have tried to budget for OH's strikes (he's a postie) The numbers are just not adding up

So we need a little help *insert grovelling smiley here*

I have always kept a Food Store.This evolved from when we were first married and OH's boss had a bit of a passion for 'rubber cheques'...I always try to keep it at around 6 months supply but at present its probably,truthfully rather a lot more in places

My idea is to 'shop from home' for the next month at least,I have 10 a week for supplemental groceries (milk etc) and fortunately the garden although small is still producing a reasonable amount! I would list everything I have but it'll probably be xmas before I finish ,suffice it to say we are 'well stocked' (you REALLY don't want to see my cupboards!!!)

Any shopping needed over this amount must be 'worked for' either selling on ebay or taking in work (I do sewing jobs as and when time allows).

So wish me luck I'll update each day so I can keep myself motivated and avoid Mr T's,as well as picking your brains for some errr ingenious combinations no doubt!!
Page 3
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 17th Oct 07, 8:13 AM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 19,484 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    D&DD - can you post your brownie recipes please????? and the apple thingy too?? today is going to be my baking day from now on so besides bread and rolls im looking for inspiration - plus my 3 year old is poorly today so want somethign to do with him for the day (dodgy tummy but not being sick if you get me!) >
    Finally sorting myself out.
    Debts - 2022.18 owed. 8 lenders.
    • D&DD
    • By D&DD 17th Oct 07, 8:23 AM
    • 4,331 Posts
    • 29,868 Thanks
    D&DD
    Hi Sammy here's the apple braid one
    Dough.
    1 sachet yeast
    15 oz strong bread flour
    3/4 tsp salt
    4 tbspn sugar (less if wanted)
    4 1/2 tbspn butter
    2 eggs
    6 fl oz milk

I find this comes out a bit on the sticky side sometimes so you may need a bit of extra flour to hand *I make this up in my MR haven't tried it in the Panny yet!*
    Set for white bread dough..

Filling.
    2 eating apples
    1 1/2 tsp plain flour
    2 tbspn sugar
    3/4 tspn cinammon
    3/4 tspn lemon juice
    3 tbspns sultanas

Peel,core and chop apples into small pieces toss with the remaining ingredients.

Roll out dough to 1/3 inch thick rectangle shape.Mark lightly from top to bottom into thirds without cutting!! On the outer thirds make diagonal cuts about 1 inch wide.

Place the filling down the centre of the dough then plait the dough over the top.

Cover loosely and rise for 30 mins then bake for approx 30 mins til golden brown.Gas mark 4/180 c/350 f

These cooked up fast so do keep an eye on them after about 15 mins..as you can see I went for a wander round the garden and just caught mine in time
    Will dig out the brownie recipe and add it in a sec,the recipe is for gluten free ones but I presume you can substitute normal flour instead :confused: ,you know I'm going to have to make some more of these now don't you any excuse for chocolate!!

Hope your little one feels better soon !!!
    Last edited by Dⅅ 17-10-2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling!
    • D&DD
    • By D&DD 17th Oct 07, 8:33 AM
    • 4,331 Posts
    • 29,868 Thanks
    D&DD
    Gluten free Dairy Free Brownies
    1/2 cup of dairy free marg
    1/2 cup gf/cf cocoa powder
    2 eggs
    1 cup of caster sugar
    1/2 cup gluten free flour
    3/4 cup of dairy/gluten free choccie chips

Melt marg and add cocoa powder.
    In a seperate bowl mix together the eggs,suger and beat til light and fluffy.
    Add the cocoa mixture then gently fold in the flour.
    Stir in the choccie chips.

I usually use a square cake tin thats approx 8 inches square lined with greaseproof to bake these in,DO make sure you line the tin (I learnt this the hard way )

Bake for approx 20-25 mins on GM 5,375 f,190 c.
    Look for the surface starting to crack and they're done
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 17th Oct 07, 8:49 AM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 19,484 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Thanks D&DD, we are going to have a go at your apple raids today - they look yummy!!!!! Plus i think little one could do with somethign to keep his mind occupied so am thinking of maybe making a banana bread later on as he loves it and it will be a nice treat for him and then we can sit and watch Shrek 2 whilst it all cooks, rises etc!! Hope your day is going well. Love Sam x x x x
    • tracyburt
    • By tracyburt 17th Oct 07, 10:44 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    tracyburt
    Hi Sammy here's the apple braid one
    Dough.
    1 sachet yeast
    15 oz strong bread flour
    3/4 tsp salt
    4 tbspn sugar (less if wanted)
    4 1/2 tbspn butter
    2 eggs
    6 fl oz milk

I find this comes out a bit on the sticky side sometimes so you may need a bit of extra flour to hand *I make this up in my MR haven't tried it in the Panny yet!*
    Set for white bread dough..

Filling.
    2 eating apples
    1 1/2 tsp plain flour
    2 tbspn sugar
    3/4 tspn cinammon
    34 tspn lemon juice
    3 tbspns sultanas

Peel,core and chop apples into small pieces toss with the remaining ingredients.

Roll out dough to 1/3 inch thick rectangle shape.Mark lightly from top to bottom into thirds without cutting!! On the outer thirds make diagonal cuts about 1 inch wide.

Place the filling down the centre of the dough then plait the dough over the top.

Cover loosely and rise for 30 mins then bake for approx 30 mins til golden brown.Gas mark 4/180 c/350 f

These cooked up fast so do keep an eye on them after about 15 mins..as you can see I went for a wander round the garden and just caught mine in time
    Will dig out the brownie recipe and add it in a sec,the recipe is for gluten free ones but I presume you can substitute normal flour instead :confused: ,you know I'm going to have to make some more of these now don't you any excuse for chocolate!!

Hope your little one feels better soon !!!
    Originally posted by D&DD
    Wow, these look very professional. I thought I could cook and bake well but I'd love to be as good as you!
  • jcr16
    these look yum. gonna make them in a min.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 17th Oct 07, 12:37 PM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 19,484 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Am Making These As We Speak!!! Just About To Do The Knocking Back Now
    • cheerfulness4
    • By cheerfulness4 17th Oct 07, 12:37 PM
    • 2,823 Posts
    • 25,381 Thanks
    cheerfulness4
    Oh yummy. I have got to make these later, they look scrumpcious!
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 17th Oct 07, 1:13 PM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 19,484 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    oooh am so excited - mine is in the oven now - looks yummy!!! must remember to keep an eye on it.
    do you think it matters that i didnt add any lemon juice?? cant stand the stuff and to top it off i had none in the house !! dont think it will be out of the oven long before bf gets it!
  • jcr16
    by readin how u make the dough ddd , it looked liked u made it in a bread maker .

in my bread maker book it says butter must always be melted before adding.

so this is what i've done. looks ok tho, rising as we speak.

can't wait to make the apple part.

like u sammy i have no lemon in the house so won't be adding it. i imagine it stops the apple from turning brown , rather than for taste. but if i have a lemon next time then i might try it with that.

i been think with the basic dough recipe u could prob add any fruit as the filling , apple and blackberry's would be nice , or apple and custard. posiblities are endless.
    Last edited by jcr16; 18-10-2007 at 8:55 AM.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 17th Oct 07, 1:26 PM
    • 9,194 Posts
    • 17,132 Thanks
    calleyw

Oh they look so scrummy on there own or with some custard or cream or icecream.

And I am on a diet as well

Think I will have to try them out.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • sharronloves2spend
    Hi Sharron I really feel for you up there our hubbies work damn hard and the changes they have brought in so far have been a nightmare for us! The time thing especially..We have 2 kids with disabilities and my OH changed into the p/o to be home to help more I'm just waiting to see if they give any news out today as if we have to go out again its going to really cause us problems! I wish you and all the boys up there on the picket lines a speedy resolution hopefully with a sensible agreement.
    We're all thinking of you XX D
    Thanks d&dd no resouloution as of today, there's a mass meeting tommorrow so lets hope it's resolved tomorrow, childcare's a huge issue for us, but not as much as not having a wage coming in!!!!!lol We have four kids, ds3 has a learning disability so not easy to find childcare, can't beleive how management can just distrupt peoples lives like that. Anyhow good luck with your challenge, Fab photos!!!Love sharron
    • Lizzieanne
    • By Lizzieanne 17th Oct 07, 2:03 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    Lizzieanne
    D&DD - wow! This so inspiring, I've read through this thread and now I feel ready for a challenge myself! I am quite 'old style' in the way I cook but you out me to shame...some days I cook like a demon and others I just can't be bothered and end up with something quick. I've also just got back from my holiday but I;m not out of holiday mode yet!

Keep up the good work and be proud of yourself.
    I plan on giving your apple braid a try - and I agree, Hugh Fearnly-Doo dar's banana bread is one of our favourites too.

Lizzieanne (off to pull out some old recipes and pickle some shallots for Christmas )
    Mortgage Free as of 03/07/2017
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 17th Oct 07, 4:13 PM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 19,484 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Well I am on my third *ahem* sample slice *AHEM!* of the apple braids and OH MY GOD!!!! HHHHHHOOOOOOWWWWW YYYYYUUUUUMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These will defianely be added to the Christmas cooking list - so nice I love it - thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you D&DD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jcr16
    i made this. it was lush.

found tho far too much pastry so have about 2/3 left for another one. but run out of apple's. also i used 4 apples in it and no sultana's.

Hubby was so impressed. he said it tasted just like the iced fingers u can buy. my daughter loved watching me drizzle icing on it.

so simple and easy to make. next time tho i'll use the pastry and prob divivde into 3 , as did find it rose up so much. also gonna add custard inside as well as a variation.
    • D&DD
    • By D&DD 17th Oct 07, 6:54 PM
    • 4,331 Posts
    • 29,868 Thanks
    D&DD
    Aw Tracey thanks I'm not that good I still have my disasters.Helps my mum used to be a school dinner lady so I was trained young

Sammy youu crack me up lol..I'm just the same for 'sampling' well we do have to taste test first eh?

Jcr do you know I never even thought about putting different fruit in what a great idea!! I have a freezer chockablock with soft fruit from the garden..mmm...

Cheerfulness I hope yours come out just as well

Calley I'm sure there can't be that many calories in a slice eh??

Sharron keeping our fingers crossed for you and the boys tomorrow it's getting a bit tense down here again now waiting for this flamin announcement wish they would just get on with it and sort it out!! At least we know where we stand then..re childcare issues we get direct payments to help give us a bit of respite with ds3 might be worth enquiring about??

Thanks LizzieAnne I love HFW's recipes I admit to having every book and dvd (all signed :rolleyes: ) bit of a fan I s'pose I'm doing his steak and kidney pud tomorrow its gorgeous!!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Oct 07, 7:11 PM
    • 67,217 Posts
    • 394,076 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I don't plan on stocking up with food. I am in a bedsit, not even a bed (sofabed). Kitchen area is dinky. No freezer. Total floorspace of all areas is about 15' square (if that!)

I will just be buying what I need. I always have: 1 loaf of long-life bread, 4 cans of beans, dozen eggs, 500g mature cheddar, bag of spuds. Then I buy other things when they're on special. Bought mince (£1.50 Somerfield Best British Lean Minced Beef, 400g) the other day, tin of kidney beans, tin of value tomatoes, couple of onions. made chilli... so now eating that for the next 3 days. By the time I've eaten the same meal 4 days in a row I've usually got an idea what I'll eat for the next 4. And it's usually beans on toast
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 17-10-2007 at 7:13 PM.
    • D&DD
    • By D&DD 17th Oct 07, 8:06 PM
    • 4,331 Posts
    • 29,868 Thanks
    D&DD
    Hi Pasturesnew I always say its best to do what suits you personally.My Father In Law is very much the same as you and even clears his whole food cupboard and fridge/freezer out when he goes away overnight!
    I would break out in a cold sweat if I had an empty fridge but many of my freinds have to go out the shops to shop for that nights tea still I think it's each to their own and you have obviously found a way that suits you too

Update for Day 4 of our challenge!
    Managed to make 2 loaves,1 gf loaf and had a total disaster with the gf baguettes..OH decided to come in from work demanding to be fed there and then so I didnt put enough water in the mix so if anyone would like some nice looking extremely heavy doorstops feel free to ask!!!

Breakfast was on time today..toast and jam for ds1,wheatabix for ds2 and tea and toast for ds3

Boys had ham sandwiches for lunch with crisps,apple and drink
    DS3 had yup...strawberries (just about!) with kettle crisps and a sandwich
    Me and oh had a sandwich in the end due to me being busy!!

Tea was shepherds pie,peas,carrots and sweetcorn followed by apple and raspberry crumble

No spends today again yay and my parents are bringing strawberry supplies tomorrow free of charge so running total so far this week is

Total spent £3.96 (thanks mum!!!)
    Last edited by Dⅅ 17-10-2007 at 8:53 PM. Reason: addition
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 18th Oct 07, 8:34 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    he said it tasted just like the iced fingers u can buy.
    Originally posted by jcr16
    uh oh, you shouldn't have said this - now I'm going to have to book time off work to make some - don't have a bread maker - anyone know the instructions to make the dough by hand !!
    Last edited by newlywed; 18-10-2007 at 8:39 AM.

DMP support thread (member #32)

• D&DD
    • By D&DD 18th Oct 07, 9:17 AM
    • 4,331 Posts
    • 29,868 Thanks
    D&DD
    Hi Newlywed I should imagine it'll come out just fine if you do it by hand,I'd put all the dry ingredients into a bowl first,then melt the butter as JCR said as its easier than rubbing it in Next break your eggs and give them a whisk just to break the yolks and add this and the milk in.
    I think Sammy might have made these by hand maybe she can tell you how she did it,just to check?
    I'm going to try an apple and raspberry one (as suggested by JCR) if I get time today..panny is currently making some dough for burger buns :rolleyes: These boys are eating me out of house and home and it's not even half term yet

I've made a list of my freezer and fridge stuff which I'll post today as I'm going to Mr T's tomorrow (restrained and blindfolded by OH) for just milk..
    I need some meal ideas so just want to check if theres anything else I might need to add before I go...
    I've moved some of my 'other store' from upstairs into the downstairs cupboards so I can rotate stock a bit..I have made a list of what I brought down though so I can replenish at a later date

I want to make a cheesecake today for DS1..I have only a plain mix in and he likes the fruity ones..I have some lovely homemade blackcurrant jam (his favourite) do you think this would work if I use it as a topping ??? :confused:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

865Posts Today

6,666Users online

Martin's Twitter