Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Fyei
    ParkingEye PCN - I don't know what to do!
    • 13th Jun 14, 8:54 PM
    ParkingEye PCN - I don't know what to do! 13th Jun 14 at 8:54 PM
    Hi all,

I've read the sticky at the top of this forum and I'm still very stuck with what to do. I think I've got a weirdly unique case and I'm feeling super stressed out about it right now.

I'm an IT worker who works away from home and while working away I stay at a hotel. I've been staying at the same hotel every week for over a year and I've never had a problem with them. They have always officially charged for parking, but they haven't always charged me and it has always been completely random if they charge me or not - I got used to it being like this and never complained (I submit it as expenses anyway!).

Recently they just switched to a 'ParkingEye' system. For a few weeks this has been absolutely fine - they started charging more consistently and when I check in they take my registration plate number.

However, I've just gotten a PCN for one nights stay that I stayed there - I arrived in the evening and left in the morning and they have pictures showing that fact. I drive in and out of the hotel every day that I'm there as I drive to and from work.

I think I know why this has happened - the staff on the front forgot to ask me for my registration number on this particular week so they never registered it in the system and because I'm so used to them not asking, I didn't think twice about it (I've been staying here for a very, very long time! Its like a second home!). I just checked my receipts for that week and I didn't pay for parking on ANY of the days - I was there for four nights!

11 days, 8 nights in the hotel (I come home on weekends), have passed since the PCN was issued and I just checked - I haven't paid for parking this week either, so I'm expecting one of these letters for every nights stay of the last two weeks, this comes to a total of 800 in charges!

I have no idea what to do. I tried complaining to the hotel and they said I have to deal with the ParkingEye company. I tried explaining to that it was their mistake and I have no leg to stand on with ParkingEye as I didn't actually pay for parking, but they didn't listen.

I'm planning to complain to their corporate people tomorrow, but I don't know how far that will get me. Its a Marriott hotel and I've never had a problem like this before so I have no idea how it is going to pan out.

I'm perfectly happy to pay the daily charge the hotel charges, I always was. Some weeks I even voluntarily paid it as they had forgotten to add charges and I felt bad about getting it for free!

I'm really stressed out and I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice? Anything would be appreciated right now

Thanks,

Fyei
    Last edited by Fyei; 13-06-2014 at 9:13 PM.
Page 1
    • Dee140157
    • By Dee140157 13th Jun 14, 9:15 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 7,796 Thanks
    Dee140157
    • 13th Jun 14, 9:15 PM
    • 13th Jun 14, 9:15 PM
    Your circumstances are not unique.
    Wait for the NTK for each PCN you think you have received.
    Appeal each separately as per the Newbie thread. If rejected, appeal to POPLA again as per Newbie thread and expect to win each.
    You will use same appeal for each PCN, so just store a copy to email each time.
    You will win on legal reasons not circumstances.

In the meanwhile complain like mad to the Marriot hotel as you are a good customer and they clearly are going to lose your custom if they don't so something about this. They do have authority to instruct PE to cancel. They appointed them after all as their "agents"!

At the moment PE do not seem to bother sending evidence to forum assisted popla appeals as they know they will lose.
    Last edited by Dee140157; 13-06-2014 at 9:18 PM.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • Fyei
    • 13th Jun 14, 9:42 PM
    • 13th Jun 14, 9:42 PM
    Thanks for the advice, I'll put together an email appeal tomorrow and start sending them after I have gotten off the phone to Marriott corporate.

When I asked them if they could contact PE on my behalf and ask them to cancel the charge, they said that they have simply outsourced it and there is nothing they can do.

Does anyone know specifically what actions it is that they need to take to get PE to cancel the charge? The reason I ask is because I know many of the receptionists very well and they will listen to me if I give them advice on how to handle this.
    • Dee140157
    • By Dee140157 13th Jun 14, 10:00 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 7,796 Thanks
    Dee140157
    • 13th Jun 14, 10:00 PM
    • 13th Jun 14, 10:00 PM
    It may require Mariott head office to request cancellation, not the receptionists. Certainly manager level at the hotel or above. Do not let them fob you off. You can email customer.care@marriott.com if you wish to.

If you want to go all the way to the top, go to the CEO! The CEO of Mariott is Arne Sorenson: arne.sorenson@marriott.com . I am sure he can do something about it!

You can always tweet http://twitter.com/marriottintl . Complain every which way. They get a lot of money out of your company and will not want to lose the custom. But appeal at the same time, but as the registered keeper, not driver and only when you get the NTK.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • carandbike
    • 13th Jun 14, 10:19 PM
    • 13th Jun 14, 10:19 PM
    When I asked them if they could contact PE on my behalf and ask them to cancel the charge, they said that they have simply outsourced it and there is nothing they can do.
    Originally posted by Fyei
    Don't ask them, bloody tell them.
  • Fyei
    • 13th Jun 14, 10:23 PM
    • 13th Jun 14, 10:23 PM
    I've actually decided to go ahead and send the appeals now as I actually can't stop thinking about this at the moment.

I'm very nervous about submitting just the template however.

I have read on here that by adding my mitigating circumstances to the template (the ones I have mentioned in this thread) can actually damage my chance of appeal because in them I am inherently admitting a certain amount of liability by knowing that reception need to know my registration number along with the fact I haven't actually given it to them on this particular occasion. This makes me lean away from adding to the template...

But sending the template on its own... does this really work? I've never heard about any of these legal concepts before and I'm worried about being challenged on them! Logically in my head I can see how this would work a few times, but don't these companies come up with legal defenses against these templates? They must receive the same template dozens of times a day!

Sorry for being so annoying about this - I know how frustrating it is to have a newbie come into a forum and ask the same questions that have been asked a million times before. I don't deal with situations like this well though and my nerves are shot!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Jun 14, 10:58 PM
    • 23,790 Posts
    • 38,088 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 13th Jun 14, 10:58 PM
    • 13th Jun 14, 10:58 PM
    PE will send you a rainforest of 'legal defences against these templates', yet they still lose against forum assisted appeals to POPLA - in fact we've never lost one to PE and of late they fail to challenge any forum-assisted POPLA appeal, effectively giving the motorist a default victory.

But, if you think, with your admitted 'never heard about any of these legal concepts before', you can come up with something better off your own bat, I look forward to seeing how you proceed to beat PE - it will be rather unique.

You need to appeal this properly - follow advice. And do press very hard with Marriott - jeez, you're a very regular customer of theirs and they should be bending over backwards to not to p1$$ you off.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Jun 14, 12:09 AM
    • 73,762 Posts
    • 85,946 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 14th Jun 14, 12:09 AM
    • 14th Jun 14, 12:09 AM
    But sending the template on its own... does this really work?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4994428

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4982829

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=65749599#post65749599

So the answer is yes but PE usually prefer to reply with 11 pages of junk, then they give up at POPLA stage. But do complain to Marriott Corporate section very assertively. Complaints work well:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4753781

HTH
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 14-06-2014 at 3:23 PM.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • hoohoo
    • By hoohoo 14th Jun 14, 4:01 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    hoohoo
    • 14th Jun 14, 4:01 AM
    • 14th Jun 14, 4:01 AM
    I've actually decided to go ahead and send the appeals now as I actually can't stop thinking about this at the moment.

I'm very nervous about submitting just the template however.

I have read on here that by adding my mitigating circumstances to the template (the ones I have mentioned in this thread) can actually damage my chance of appeal because in them I am inherently admitting a certain amount of liability by knowing that reception need to know my registration number along with the fact I haven't actually given it to them on this particular occasion. This makes me lean away from adding to the template...

But sending the template on its own... does this really work? I've never heard about any of these legal concepts before and I'm worried about being challenged on them! Logically in my head I can see how this would work a few times, but don't these companies come up with legal defenses against these templates? They must receive the same template dozens of times a day!

Sorry for being so annoying about this - I know how frustrating it is to have a newbie come into a forum and ask the same questions that have been asked a million times before. I don't deal with situations like this well though and my nerves are shot!
    The template on its own does not work. Pe will, as mentioned, send back a scary war and peace document.

It is the next stage which always works. There you get to appeal to the industry appeal board popla. They consistently uphold appeals. So consistently that pe cut their losses and do not even bother to defend the charge.

Your main problem will be in keeping track of so many appeals and making sure you don't miss any deadlines. Pe are notorious for losing post so keep copies of everything. If you appeal by post keep free proof of posting. If you appeal by web, take screenshots
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 14th Jun 14, 6:24 AM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    Don't ask, demand. Then escalate it to a formal complaint. You really have the upper hand here. Corporate Clients are bread and butter to hotels, especially very regular corporate clients. Work out how much they have charged you in the last 12 months and ask them if they'd like you to take your business to <insert whatever the nearest chain hotel is here>

but don't these companies come up with legal defenses against these templates?
    They try, but they lose at POPLA every day, many times.

Stop being a wimp and get angry
    Last edited by Nodding Donkey; 14-06-2014 at 6:28 AM.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 14th Jun 14, 7:23 AM
    • 13,560 Posts
    • 13,923 Thanks
    The Deep
    It sounds as if PE want to charge as much. or more, than Marriot, which is totally ridiculous. It is obviously an administrative mix up and you are totally not responsible.

Have you commented on Trip Advisor, if not perhaps you should. Tell Marriot that unless they sort it out you will ensure that the company takes its business elsewhere.

You might also wish to take it to the local paper, "Hotel charges more for a car than a guest" sort of thing, they hate that.

In any event do not get stressed, kick up enough fuss and the Hotel will be shamed into sorting it, there may well even be some compo in it for you.

Others on here will tell you to appeal to PE and then to Popla, well, it will be killed on the head by Popla, but if you really want to do PE real damage concentrate on Marriot.
    • Hot Bring
    • By Hot Bring 14th Jun 14, 7:26 AM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 2,628 Thanks
    Hot Bring
    And while you're complaining demand the hotel puts your car on the parking white list so it's treated as exempt like staff cars.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
  • Fyei
    I've sent Marriott a complaint.

Thanks for the replies all, I'll follow the templates as guided as I get the PCNs through the door.

When I posted last night I didn't mean to suggest that you guys here don't know best by the way, its just I've never heard any of this stuff before and the legal defenses sounded a little too good to be true at first
  • Fyei
    Update...

The charges are now in the process of being cancelled!

Following my email to customer care, the manager of the hotel was contacted directly and even though he doesn't work weekends he called me and he is now personally ensuring that the charges get cancelled.

I'm not sure what happened - I wasn't expecting a response till Monday as the customer care team apparently don't work weekends, but someone picked up the email anyway and is sorting it out.

Thanks for the advice all!
    • Redx
    • By Redx 14th Jun 14, 1:48 PM
    • 22,795 Posts
    • 29,014 Thanks
    Redx
    excellent , they do not want to lose your business, or have any publicity
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Dee140157
    • By Dee140157 14th Jun 14, 2:15 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 7,796 Thanks
    Dee140157
    Complaining is often the easiest way to get a ticket sorted. However legal appeals are good if this forts step does not work. You know where to come if ever you need help and tell others too.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Jun 14, 3:25 PM
    • 73,762 Posts
    • 85,946 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Update...

The charges are now in the process of being cancelled!

Following my email to customer care, the manager of the hotel was contacted directly and even though he doesn't work weekends he called me and he is now personally ensuring that the charges get cancelled.

I'm not sure what happened - I wasn't expecting a response till Monday as the customer care team apparently don't work weekends, but someone picked up the email anyway and is sorting it out.

Thanks for the advice all!
    What happened was corporate customer power - they must prioritise responding to anything from repeat customers or business clients. Well done!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 14th Jun 14, 7:12 PM
    • 23,790 Posts
    • 38,088 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Great stuff OP, glad to have been able to contribute to your thread.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

589Posts Today

5,633Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin