Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • silverfoxdude
    • By silverfoxdude 7th Apr 05, 7:06 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    silverfoxdude
    • 7th Apr 05, 7:06 PM
    • 7th Apr 05, 7:06 PM
    Hi

You could try looking at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/

That has some great ideas, and they are sometimes from Ready Steady Cook chefs, so they could be cheap and easy to make.

Good luck,,, mmm rice puding,,,
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 7th Apr 05, 7:11 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 7th Apr 05, 7:11 PM
    • 7th Apr 05, 7:11 PM
    I make two of these for six of us:

Put oven on 150C

2 pints of full cream milk
    3-4 tablespoons sugar
    1-2 ounces butter
    8 tablespoons pudding rice

Put all into a pyrex dish with a couple of inches to spare (in case it boils over). Stir and then grate some nutmeg on top.

After about 45 mins, there should be a skin on top. Stir this in (if you don't have a shelf above, you don't have to take them out to do this) and cook another 45 mins or so until the skin has reformed.

I find it's a bit of trial and error with this - the oven I have now has to be 140C, and if I use my Le Creuset pans it cooks quicker. If in doubt, after an hour or so, move a bit of skin and check if it's done. Enjoy!
    • The_Biff
    • By The_Biff 7th Apr 05, 9:12 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    The_Biff
    • 7th Apr 05, 9:12 PM
    • 7th Apr 05, 9:12 PM
    Full cream milk is the key (as above) but try to get organic milk for something even better.
    Nice to save.
  • Lillibet
    • 8th Apr 05, 7:44 AM
    • 8th Apr 05, 7:44 AM
    Here's my receipe :

4 oz pudding rice
    2 pints skimmed (yes, skimmed!) milk
    2 tablespoons sugar plus more to top, plus nutmeg or cinnamon for dusting

Pop all in saucepan & bring to boil, allow to simmer for about 30 mins then put in dish & dust with sugar/spices & into oven for about 30 mins whilst dinner is also cooking. I frquently add stewed fruit to the bottom of the dish or mix in ginger or sultanas for variation.

HTH
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Allexie
    • 8th Apr 05, 7:49 AM
    • 8th Apr 05, 7:49 AM
    Full cream milk is the key (as above) but try to get organic milk for something even better.
    by The_Biff
    .....or a 50/50 mix of semi-skimmed milk and Carnation milk

......nice served with prunes too!
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• frizz_head
    • 8th Apr 05, 8:13 AM
    • 8th Apr 05, 8:13 AM
    I cover mine with foil, as I don't like skin.
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.
    20 pints donated!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 8th Apr 05, 9:02 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 8th Apr 05, 9:02 AM
    • 8th Apr 05, 9:02 AM
    I always cook mine on low (gas 2) for 2-3 hours, stirring every hour, so the rice absorbs most of the milk/cream and isn't so runny, but it all depends how you like it I guess
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 8th Apr 05, 11:46 AM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 8th Apr 05, 11:46 AM
    • 8th Apr 05, 11:46 AM
    Theres usually a recipe on the side of a packet of pudding rice.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • youngmum
    I'm not in the habit of buying butter being a marg person. Do you think ASDA Smartprice butter would do the job?
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 8th Apr 05, 12:01 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    I only buy Smartprice butter. Don't like margerine - looking at the list of ingredients puts me off. I use butter for everything - cakes, biscuits, bread, pastry ...
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 8th Apr 05, 1:24 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I often end up with several different types of butter/marg in my fridge so wondered if I could reduce it to one to save money and space, yet still be able to do everything I need with it :confused:

I use low-fat spreadable butter (real stuff like lurpak or anchor, not the utterly butterly types) for sandwiches etc, stork margarine for baking and unsalted block butter for general cooking ... oh, and also a tin of ghee for Indian cooking, although I'm not sure how long that's supposed to keep and it's been in the fridge several months now :rolleyes:
    ~

• Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 8th Apr 05, 1:41 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    i got a huge tub of 'east end' vegetarian margarine in the local indian grocers I used to nuy it as a student, and it's still ridiculously cheap
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • omega
    Queenie - just a thought - our butter consumption is pretty minimal (only for certain baking), so I keep what little we do use portioned in 2oz blocks in the freezer.

How well does rice pudding keep? I'm just trying to assess how economical it would be for me to make it for my 15 mo old when I'm not keen on it at all. Thanks.
    • reverie
    • By reverie 9th Apr 05, 6:22 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 2,114 Thanks
    reverie
    This thread inspired me to make rice pud tonight, it was so yum. Thanks
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 9th Apr 05, 6:56 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Comfort food - quick 'n' easy rice
    I was checking out one of Nigella's books earlier for a risotto recipe and came across the most wonderful recipe for rice pudding

It's a quick method, ideal for those "comfort food" moments when you want it in a hurry, and is basically a sweet risotto made in the same way as usual, but using milk instead of stock. I'd have made it myself tonight but I just used up the rest of my arborio rice today :rolleyes:

Ingredients: (for a single serving, but knowing Nigella this will be a huge portion!!!)

700ml full fat milk
    1 heaped tbsp unsalted butter
    2-3 tbsps caster or vanilla sugar
    60g risotto rice (she uses Vialone Nano but I reckon Arborio would be fine)
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract (not needed if using vanilla sugar)
    2-3 tbsps double cream

*Heat milk to boiling point (stove or microwave) and switch off.

*Melt butter and a tbsp of the sugar in a heavy-based pan.

*Add rice and stir till coated and sticky.

*Gradually add milk a ladle at a time, stirring constantly, until absorbed by rice before adding next ladle.

*Keep adding milk and stirring until rice is cooked through (roughly 20 mins) - you may not use all the milk, or might need a bit more so don't worry.

*Remove from heat - rice should be thick, sticky and creamy when cooked (like a savoury risotto) - and stir in the rest of the sugar and vanilla to taste.

*Add cream and serve (if you have no cream you can add a blob more butter like with savoury risottos)

I can't wait to try this out myself so if anyone makes it before Monday please let me know how it turned out
    Last edited by Curry_Queen; 09-04-2005 at 6:59 PM.
    ~

• domestic goddess wanabee
    Rice pudding - using reduced price milk
    I bought a 4pt bottle of organic wholemilk yesterday for 15p. I had already bought a six pint milk with my shopping and had no room in the freezer so thought I would make a home made rice pudding. Added a few ground almonds and some vanilla essence and sugar and it tasted lovely BUT, despire adding loads and loads of milk it remained stubbornly Al-dente. I cooked it on the hob.

I love home made rice pudding - can anybody give me some tips for a better result?
    PS my teenager really loved the organic wholemilk made up as nesqik - 33% extra free at Asda.
    • badgermonkey
    • By badgermonkey 29th Jun 05, 7:06 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    badgermonkey
    Hmm, I always make mine on the hob and it's never not worked. How long did you cook it? I always find I go for ages thinking it's not done and then I turn my back and find it lovely and soft and on the verge of sticking to the bottom.

I can't see any reason why the milk being reduced would have made any difference.
    • MATH
    • By MATH 29th Jun 05, 8:18 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    I usually make my rice pud in the mirco. I bring 2 pints of milk to the boil then pour onto rice and sugar in a large uncovered bowl. Cook on high until just starting to boil again. Watch it carefully else you have milk everywhere. Give it a good stir and then cook for about an hour on defrost. Stiring a couple of times.
    The result is thick, creamy, white rice pudding ideal for cooling and serving semi-set with jam. If I want a golden skin or a bit more of a caramel colour to serve hot I either slightly undercook and pop in a hot oven for 20 mins or brown under a hot grill. HTH
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 29th Jun 05, 8:42 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Thanks for that MATH. Do you cover it once you're defrosting?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,670Posts Today

7,596Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just had a good meeting with @JohnGlenUK about mortgage prisoners. There are no easy solutions, but pleased it's no? https://t.co/8vcQCT6LvV

• Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Follow Martin