Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 6th Jun 14, 5:06 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: An end to line rental? No-landline broadband service launches
    • #1
    • 6th Jun 14, 5:06 PM
    MSE News: An end to line rental? No-landline broadband service launches 6th Jun 14 at 5:06 PM
    A new broadband service called Relish has launched this week that doesn't require a landline...

    Read the full story:

    An end to line rental? No-landline broadband service launches



    Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
  • yangptangkipperbang
    • #2
    • 6th Jun 14, 5:16 PM
    • #2
    • 6th Jun 14, 5:16 PM
    " 47% of residents in central London saying they would prefer to not have a landline as part of their broadband deal"

    So ONLY 47% of people would rather have something for free than paying for it - just shows how stupid the other 53% are ..........!
    • Biscuit Tin
    • By Biscuit Tin 6th Jun 14, 5:59 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Biscuit Tin
    • #3
    • 6th Jun 14, 5:59 PM
    • #3
    • 6th Jun 14, 5:59 PM
    Well it's fast, but wireless broadband for the home is not something new.

    e.g. Out in the sticks of Norfolk/Suffolk it's been available for a couple of years now
    http://www.itswisp.co.uk
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 6th Jun 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,560 Posts
    • 20,315 Thanks
    mije1983
    • #4
    • 6th Jun 14, 7:07 PM
    • #4
    • 6th Jun 14, 7:07 PM
    " 47% of residents in central London saying they would prefer to not have a landline as part of their broadband deal"

    So ONLY 47% of people would rather have something for free than paying for it - just shows how stupid the other 53% are ..........!
    Originally posted by yangptangkipperbang
    ....or maybe the other 53% actually use a landline so not having one would be detrimental to them. I'm not sure what you think the 47% are getting for free?

    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 6th Jun 14, 7:14 PM
    • 3,654 Posts
    • 2,371 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • #5
    • 6th Jun 14, 7:14 PM
    • #5
    • 6th Jun 14, 7:14 PM
    " 47% of residents in central London saying they would prefer to not have a landline as part of their broadband deal"

    So ONLY 47% of people would rather have something for free than paying for it - just shows how stupid the other 53% are ..........!
    Originally posted by yangptangkipperbang
    You can get a basic broadband service, plus line rental, for the £20/month they want. So it isn't really any cheaper - and you lose the land line for phone calls.
    • 5555tt
    • By 5555tt 6th Jun 14, 9:41 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    5555tt
    • #6
    • 6th Jun 14, 9:41 PM
    • #6
    • 6th Jun 14, 9:41 PM
    If it breaks the BT monopoly ; surely a good thing
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 6th Jun 14, 10:16 PM
    • 4,254 Posts
    • 4,768 Thanks
    Marvel1
    • #7
    • 6th Jun 14, 10:16 PM
    • #7
    • 6th Jun 14, 10:16 PM
    Sweet, about time, only reason why I'm with Virgin Media.
    • OldGreyFox
    • By OldGreyFox 7th Jun 14, 3:22 AM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    OldGreyFox
    • #8
    • 7th Jun 14, 3:22 AM
    • #8
    • 7th Jun 14, 3:22 AM
    If it breaks the BT monopoly ; surely a good thing
    Originally posted by 5555tt
    BT dont have the monopoly.

    And you might find it helpful if you read UXB,s post here : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4988094
    Last edited by OldGreyFox; 07-06-2014 at 3:29 AM.
    • redux
    • By redux 7th Jun 14, 4:24 AM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 26,583 Thanks
    redux
    • #9
    • 7th Jun 14, 4:24 AM
    • #9
    • 7th Jun 14, 4:24 AM
    " 47% of residents in central London saying they would prefer to not have a landline as part of their broadband deal"

    So ONLY 47% of people would rather have something for free than paying for it - just shows how stupid the other 53% are ..........!
    Originally posted by yangptangkipperbang
    My landline and broadband added together will average about £12 a month for 18 months, compared to £20 for this new service.

    How stupid is that?
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 7th Jun 14, 5:36 AM
    • 6,281 Posts
    • 2,682 Thanks
    roddydogs
    & have to pay silly mobile charges for phone calls 25 PPM & all that nonsense?
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 7th Jun 14, 8:12 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    Wireless connection? 30Mbps per subscriber?

    In central London?

    Isn't that stuff in the microwave range?

    I look forward to Kentucky Fried Bankers being discovered in their multimillion pound apartments.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Jun 14, 8:16 AM
    • 66,483 Posts
    • 390,677 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    London, London, London ... yadda, yadda, yawn.

    New company tries something in bits of posh London ..... doesn't apply to about 95% of the country probably.... if that.
    • waqasahmed
    • By waqasahmed 7th Jun 14, 2:20 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    waqasahmed
    Sweet, about time, only reason why I'm with Virgin Media.
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Pretty much this. The thing was, with fibre broadband from the other non Virgin companies, I thought "FINALLY. We can FINALLY move away from landlines and the people could adopt VoIP en masse" because fibre broadband has absolutely no need for a landline. It doesn't use the PSTN infrastructure at all.

    Yet many companies still effectively force you to buy a landline (Not necessarily with them. It just has to be a "BT" line)

    So we're with Virgin, and have a VoIP phone, and no one outside can tell the difference
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 7th Jun 14, 2:39 PM
    • 12,032 Posts
    • 6,794 Thanks
    DUTR
    Well it's fast, but wireless broadband for the home is not something new.

    e.g. Out in the sticks of Norfolk/Suffolk it's been available for a couple of years now
    http://www.itswisp.co.uk
    Originally posted by Biscuit Tin
    And don't forget Ionica from all those years back.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 7th Jun 14, 3:26 PM
    • 8,972 Posts
    • 4,488 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    I thought they went bust before they launched but WiKi suggests they were around for 3 years. Still see the dishes on houses. I was going to try them but when they surveyed my house they couldn't find a signal.
    • fireice
    • By fireice 7th Jun 14, 4:03 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    fireice
    BT dont have the monopoly.
    Originally posted by OldGreyFox
    For large parts of the country, where there's no virgin fibre, Openreach "a BT group business" have a monopoly. Hence the requirement from almost all providers (except Virgin and here Relish) to have a "BT line"
    • Porcupine
    • By Porcupine 7th Jun 14, 4:06 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    Porcupine
    Yet many companies still effectively force you to buy a landline (Not necessarily with them. It just has to be a "BT" line)
    Originally posted by waqasahmed
    The 'landline tax' is just a pricing scam by telcos. It allows them to advertise 'free broadband* (* plus your usual line rental at £99.99 a month)'. Landline-landline calls are almost free these days, at the wholesale level anyway. So you're paying for maintenance of your line, whether you choose to put broadband down it (which does cost the telco money) or phone (which doesn't, the technology is so basic).

    Virgin, for example, offers landline-free packages. However they like you to have a landline because they hope you'll call juicy mobile, 08xx or international numbers where they make a stonking markup. Likewise for BT - all these 'call setup fees' are entirely invented: wholesale there's no fee just per minute charging (fractions of a penny for UK 01/02/03 calls).

    So, play the game. Don't think about it as a landline cost, you just pay whatever it is for your line, and if you happen to use the landline it's a bonus. Don't fall for the 'free broadband*' scam, just look at the total costs.

    Once you've done that, then you can work out the best way to make the calls you want - landline, override provider, dialthrough 08xx number, mobile, VOIP, Skype...
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 7th Jun 14, 5:47 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    VisionMan
    You know, not a lot of people know this, but one can get BT Infinity without having a landline if one pushes hard enough. It costs more than the two combined. But rather than repeat myself, heres the excellent post from UXB from another land line thread -
    This one comes up with weary regularity.
    I almost can't be arrrrrrrrseddd to explain it anymore

    Line rental in the UK comprises both the component of payment for receiving a voice service on the line and payment for the rent/maintenance/systems/backhaul/upgrades of the physical line to your address.
    In the UK OFCOM have decreed that these two components shall be lumped together and misleading called line rental. (the cost of a voice call being extra)

    Now they could equally decree that the rent/maintenance etc component is instead lumped in together with your broadband charge instead.
    Then we would have sky high broadband charges and only a small amount extra for having a voice service on the line

    .....but I'd bet the OP really really really would not like that!

    Particularly as there are more phone lines in total than BB+phone activated lines in the UK so your BB charges are being cross subsidzed by the line rental component paid by the phone only lines.

    OFCOM really are not stupid you see.

    PS If you were lucky enough to have a full FTTP connection from Gigaclear you would pay £37/month for their minimum package.
    Originally posted by Uxb
    • waqasahmed
    • By waqasahmed 7th Jun 14, 6:53 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    waqasahmed
    The 'landline tax' is just a pricing scam by telcos. It allows them to advertise 'free broadband* (* plus your usual line rental at £99.99 a month)'. Landline-landline calls are almost free these days, at the wholesale level anyway. So you're paying for maintenance of your line, whether you choose to put broadband down it (which does cost the telco money) or phone (which doesn't, the technology is so basic).

    Virgin, for example, offers landline-free packages. However they like you to have a landline because they hope you'll call juicy mobile, 08xx or international numbers where they make a stonking markup. Likewise for BT - all these 'call setup fees' are entirely invented: wholesale there's no fee just per minute charging (fractions of a penny for UK 01/02/03 calls).

    So, play the game. Don't think about it as a landline cost, you just pay whatever it is for your line, and if you happen to use the landline it's a bonus. Don't fall for the 'free broadband*' scam, just look at the total costs.

    Once you've done that, then you can work out the best way to make the calls you want - landline, override provider, dialthrough 08xx number, mobile, VOIP, Skype...
    Originally posted by Porcupine
    Hmm I guess so. Meh, we have a VoIP phone any way, so effectively we do have a "landline" as it were

    Also I imagine you're correct. DID Logic provides some services for our landline, and I noticed for 03XX numbers they charge $0.000963/min which is £0.000573/min OR in real terms, you'd have to spend 174 minutes on the phone before you're charged £0.01

    Ofcom did say they can't charge more than standard landline charges for 03XX numbers

    They charge you $0.0571/min or £0.034/min to call a UK landline, so yeah it's pretty low

    You know, not a lot of people know this, but one can get BT Infinity without having a landline if one pushes hard enough. It costs more than the two combined. But rather than repeat myself, heres the excellent post from UXB from another land line thread -
    Originally posted by VisionMan
    If it costs more, I'd rather just have the landline included Interesting why Virgin works differently.

    Besides, how does that even make sense?

    The landline goes through telecommunication poles, and fibre is something completely different. ONLY broadband will go through those fibre cables. I guess technically, you can have telecommunications go through fibre, but why would you when you already have a telecommunications system in place?

    They're two separate bits of infrastructure
    Last edited by waqasahmed; 07-06-2014 at 7:02 PM.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 7th Jun 14, 7:02 PM
    • 13,744 Posts
    • 152,314 Thanks
    Anon
    ... so the "landline free" broadband is .... 4g mobile based broadband ... ? We can get that already, just clever marketing.

    Anon
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,144Posts Today

7,440Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

  • Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

  • Follow Martin