Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • mink35
    • 29th Jun 05, 1:19 PM
    • 29th Jun 05, 1:19 PM
    Apparently it was originally a by-product of butter making and now made by adding culture to skimmed milk (according to Delia!).

You would need to know what culture is used to make your own I think - unless ya fancy making butter at the same time!

Edit: there's a recipe here using lemon juice or.... vinegar!!
    Mink
  • KTFrugal
    • 29th Jun 05, 5:02 PM
    • 29th Jun 05, 5:02 PM
    Unless you like to drink buttermilk straight out the glass, you can sub a yoghurt/milk mix with no ill effect to your recipes. I use 2-3 tbsps to the half pint, but you can use as much yoghurt as needs using up if you like.

In a pinch, which is where I am most of the time, you can also put vinegar into milk for the same acid content...reckon on 1 tbsp to half a pint of milk and leave it to curdle for 30 mins or so.
  • Str4berr3
    • 29th Jun 05, 5:08 PM
    • 29th Jun 05, 5:08 PM
    KTFrugal: Do you know if it ok to use Malt Vinegar as that is all i got here?
  • Lulubells
    • 24th Apr 06, 9:03 AM
    Buttermilk Alternative
    • 24th Apr 06, 9:03 AM
    Hi,

I am always looking up recipes on the internet, and I quite often see recipes that need buttermilk - which I don't usually have ! Anyway on my searches I found this alternative to buttermilk if you don't have any to hand - so I thought I would share this as others my find it useful too.

Substitutions: 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice + low-fat or fat-free milk to make 1 cup & let stand for 10 minutes = 1 cup low fat or fat-free buttermilk

Cheers

Lulubells
    Currently on a life sort-out !! ...reducing bills, decluttering and getting into fitness - busy bee
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 24th Apr 06, 9:06 AM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    • 24th Apr 06, 9:06 AM
    • 24th Apr 06, 9:06 AM
    I have a recipe that uses soured milk/cream and the instructions say add lemon juice to the cream/milk. It thickens it.
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Mumofthreeboys
    • 24th Apr 06, 10:28 AM
    • 24th Apr 06, 10:28 AM
    Why don't you try making your own butter? The milky liquid left over is buttermilk, you can freeze it and use it when you're ready....
    2 Saver Club (started 24th March '06) going towards No. 2 Son Cub trip!!
    20p Saver Club (started 11th April '06) Grand Total = 135.00 Paid to Akela
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 24th Apr 06, 10:36 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 24th Apr 06, 10:36 AM
    • 24th Apr 06, 10:36 AM
    i have also successfully used a mix of 1/2 natural yog and 1/2 milk in place of buttermilk
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • purplemoon
    • 24th Apr 06, 10:43 AM
    • 24th Apr 06, 10:43 AM
    i have also successfully used a mix of 1/2 natural yog and 1/2 milk in place of buttermilk
    by r.mac
    I do this. Works great in soda bread.
  • kittiwoz
    Buttermilk is acid so it reacts with bicarbonate of soda to create bubbles of carbon dioxide which cause your soda bead (or cake or buttermilk pancakes etc) to rise. Soured milk/cream and yoghurt are similarly acid and so have the same effect.
    • stressedoutmumof1
    • By stressedoutmumof1 26th Apr 06, 5:57 AM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 10,316 Thanks
    stressedoutmumof1
    I put a tbsp of vinegar into normal milk to make my buttermilk
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now )
    • ness w
    • By ness w 30th Jan 08, 10:28 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 576 Thanks
    ness w
    Buttermilk?
    What's the alternative to this? I have a book that stipulates it a lot, is it thick or thin? I have been using ordinary milk, but don't know if I'm missing something in terms of flavour?

Thanks, Ness.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 30th Jan 08, 10:42 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    I don't know about flavours but this search shows a few substitutes for buttermilk:-

google buttermilk substitutes
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 30th Jan 08, 10:45 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi ness,

There's an older thread that might help too so I've added your post to it to keep all the replies together.

This thread might help too:

What's buttermilk?

Pink
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 31st Jan 08, 7:38 AM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 20,808 Thanks
    purpleivy
    I have started to use buttermilk for my scones and they certainly attract compliments these days
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 3rd Nov 08, 3:45 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    Can't find Buttermilk - how too?
    How do I make buttermilk to add in a cake - i can't find any in the shops? :confused:

Thanks
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
    • Chuzzle
    • By Chuzzle 3rd Nov 08, 4:00 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 1,762 Thanks
    Chuzzle
    Can't tell you how to make it but my Morrisons and Tescos both sell it near the yogurts/cream. Tesco is 55p per carton and Morrisons is 35p per carton but it's slightl smaller size than Tesco.
    Banana Lovers
    Buy your bananas in bunches of 5 on Sunday. Then arrange them in order of ripeness and write a day of the week on each banana in felt pen, Monday on the ripest, Friday on the greenest to save time making those decisions on a hectic weekday morning
  • tsstss7
    Isn't buttermilk what you get left when you make butter from cream? If you read the threads about making butter it's mentioned there...I read one of these threads and was inspired to have a go and apart from a bit of rsi it was pretty satisfying.
    MSE PARENT CLUB MEMBER.
    ds1 nov 1997
    ds2 nov 2007
    First DD
    First DD born in june.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 3rd Nov 08, 4:34 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    It is usually with the cream at the supermarket. Failing that substitute yogurt.

Commercial buttermilk is a cultured dairy product and is not the same as the liquid left after making butter.
  • Trishh
    You can add a bit of vinegar to milk. That will sour it , giving the buttermilk taste. I read that tip on HERE, somewhere, ages ago
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,913Posts Today

7,242Users online

Martin's Twitter