Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 29th Jun 05, 12:38 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    Great Cosmetics Cost Cutting Hunt
    • 29th Jun 05, 12:38 PM
    0 WOW
    Great Cosmetics Cost Cutting Hunt 29th Jun 05 at 12:38 PM
    One for the ladies this week. Make-up, hair-care and the rest can cost staggering amounts (apparently). So this hunt's for MoneySavers to swap ideas on cost cutting - using different products, cheap places to buy, the best 'non-brands' its up to you.

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 15-08-2006 at 12:47 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • Nile
    • By Nile 29th Jun 05, 12:47 PM
    • 14,347 Posts
    • 14,293 Thanks
    Nile
    • 29th Jun 05, 12:47 PM
    • 29th Jun 05, 12:47 PM
    Look after your after shave or perfumes by storing them in a cupboard or drawer. The perfume will last longer if you don't store them near heat or sunlight.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 29th Jun 05, 12:48 PM
    • 17,915 Posts
    • 214,876 Thanks
    mhoc
    • 29th Jun 05, 12:48 PM
    Facial wipes
    • 29th Jun 05, 12:48 PM
    OK someone has to start this so it may as well be me.

I've just stocked up on Botanics facial wipes via the Mirror coupons offers. They come in a flat pack with a reseal, Boots NO 7 do similar, 4 in one wipes.

They are very useful for make up removal especailly at bedtimes when you are too tired (or drunk) to fiddle about with cotton wool, cleasing lotion, trips to the bathroom etc. Also useful when you are away, only one thing to pack.

These wipes are huge so I cut mine in two, use one half at night, reasel the other half and use that in the morning, amazing how much you can miss or get dirty again in the night..

Not sure wether this is the sort of thing you want but there it is now anyway...
    Mary
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 29th Jun 05, 12:49 PM
    • 17,915 Posts
    • 214,876 Thanks
    mhoc
    • 29th Jun 05, 12:49 PM
    re
    • 29th Jun 05, 12:49 PM
    Look after your after shave or perfumes by storing them in a cupboard or drawer. The perfume will last longer if you don't store them near heat or sunlight.
    by Nile
    Preferably locked so your teenager doesnt try and borrow them LOL

Mary
    • loopy_lass
    • By loopy_lass 29th Jun 05, 1:08 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    loopy_lass
    • 29th Jun 05, 1:08 PM
    • 29th Jun 05, 1:08 PM
    i get a lot of my cosmetics from either the discount sites or ebay... also get my local chemist to make up rosewater for me (dont just buy it off the shelf) get them to actually make up the stuff... great for toning your face, also put some in a little spray as its great for cooling down on hot days & safe for the kids (well mine anyways)

i pay around 2.95 for 500ml.

hth loops x
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN...
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 29th Jun 05, 1:11 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 29th Jun 05, 1:11 PM
    • 29th Jun 05, 1:11 PM
    Places like TJ Hughes often buy up (presumably) old or end of line stock of named cosmetics and toiletries which you can get for a fraction of the cost. They also tend to have a lot of coffrets (that's "gift sets" for you men out there who don't know what one is ) which can be bought for a few pounds and stored away for those Xmas and birthday pressies.

If you look on your local markets, there are often stalls selling cosmetics cheaply. Often these tend to be the 'cheaper' end of the market (pardon the pun) but great if you want to try out new colours or just want that nail colour to match an outfit and don't want to spend a fortune. Also, there is a stall in my local shopping centre that sources more upmarket products - Gail Hayman, Estee Lauder etc and they are often quite a lot cheaper.

I also found that Lidl sell assorted face creams - all those CoQ10 type moisturisers in similar packaging to say, L'Oreal, but they were charging about 1.99 a pot. I bought one but haven't tried it yet.

A word of warning though. Cosmetics and toiletries do have a limited shelf life and you will see dates on the end of the box eg 24 months from opening. These products also have a shelf life when unopened, as there can be chemical reactions within the products themselves, which mean seemingly harmless products can produce more noxious ones when left for any length of time. I am assuming that a lot of these products are snapped up cheaply by these types of stores, because they are fairly old and the main outlets don't want them. Certainly sun screen has a limited shelf life - 2 years and it is recommended that you bin unused suncream after 2 summers as it's protective abilities will have seriously diminished. I believe in the USA, it has a use by date on?

Edit: just looked at my Lidl's receipt - it was 1.79, where as Nivea Q10 day cream is 5.48 at Tesco
    Last edited by Ticklemouse; 29-06-2005 at 10:58 PM.
    • loopy_lass
    • By loopy_lass 29th Jun 05, 1:14 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    loopy_lass
    • 29th Jun 05, 1:14 PM
    • 29th Jun 05, 1:14 PM
    ive bought from the market stalls in the big shopping centres, some are good value, some are very watery & not very good! ... trial & error me thinks

loops
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN...
    • lynseyf
    • By lynseyf 29th Jun 05, 3:52 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    lynseyf
    • 29th Jun 05, 3:52 PM
    • 29th Jun 05, 3:52 PM
    90% of the skin aging you see is caused by the sun. Use a cheaper moisturiser with at least spf15 in it every day. Drink lots of water.
  • xxbutterflygirlxx
    • 29th Jun 05, 4:28 PM
    • 29th Jun 05, 4:28 PM
    I've used the Lidl 'posh' face creams (and Aldi's) and very good they are too.
  • xxbutterflygirlxx
    Sorry, meant to say the 'Natural Collection' make up from Boots used to be rubbish but they must have done something to it cos it is really good now. Amazingly cheap too, all the lippies, lip glosses etc are 99p at the moment.
    • Fenella
    • By Fenella 29th Jun 05, 4:43 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Fenella
    For buying cut price makeup and perfumes on line try:

www.powderpuff.net
    www.saveonmakeup.co.uk
    www.fragrancedirect.co.uk
    www.eauzonebeauty.com
    www.beautyspotcosmetics.co.uk
    www.strawberrynet.com

I have successfully used most of these
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 05-07-2005 at 12:05 PM.
    Born to shop
    • bluep
    • By bluep 29th Jun 05, 5:58 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    bluep
    I had a friend that worked in a London store which sells really posh beauty products and she said that people there who had been in the industry for years swore by Boots Botanics Skin Cleanser as being a top cleansing product at a real budget price 3.99
    http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1047573&classificati onid=1018011&slmRefer=000

I use it and find it good but I wouldn't have known it was equivilant to paying a lot more at some posh shop!!
  • the_skint_minx
    Clinique's 'comforting cream cleanser' is almost identical to neutrogena's 'very gentle cleanser' - the only difference is in the price!

A lot of l'oreal products are very similar to their more pricey lancome counterparts too.

check out www.cosmeticscop.com for a brilliant guide to not getting ripped off by the cosmetics industry. They sell good value, effective skincare as well - unfortunately it's US based and the shipping & customs bumps up the price too much.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • mellyp
    • By mellyp 29th Jun 05, 7:47 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    mellyp
    For discounted brand name cosmetics try www.starfishcosmetics.co.uk.

Free P&P on all orders.

Haven't got round to using the site myself yet, but just checked out a few products against Boots.com, 2/3 difference on mascara, 4 difference on one foundation i checked, etc etc etc
    • rozeepozee
    • By rozeepozee 29th Jun 05, 8:12 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 16,696 Thanks
    rozeepozee
    Hair and Make up Products at Wholesale Prices
    I've been buying my hair products from the hairdressing wholesalers for years now. I've been to a few different shops in various towns and cities (they're usually independents) and although some of them state "wholesale customers only", I've never been asked for proof of status. You don't have to buy loads of bottles, it's usually a case of buying a super large bottle of your favourite product. E.g I bought 1000 ml of Clynol conditioner for 7 quid. It lasts for ages, so I only have to shop there two or three times a year. Because they usually cater for beauticians as well as hair dressers, they sell other beauty products as well, nail varnish, waxing products and the like.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 05-07-2005 at 12:06 PM.
  • Lily04
    Thanks for the tip!
    Thanks for that - their savings on Urban Decay and Calvin Klein stuff is great, I got myself a blusher for 7.99 instead of about 14...and I only joined this site tonight. Great start thanks again !!

For discounted brand name cosmetics try www.starfishcosmetics.co.uk.

Free P&P on all orders.

Haven't got round to using the site myself yet, but just checked out a few products against Boots.com, 2/3 difference on mascara, 4 difference on one foundation i checked, etc etc etc
    by mellyp
  • Wonderwoman
    Just been on Starfish - great site no p&p - fantatic - thanks to all!
  • ecomatters
    artistry cosmetics and skincare are brilliant, as good as clinique but half the price, and if you register direct with the supplier's website as a 'member' you can get another 25/30% off
  • Big_Spender
    Good value site
    This site www.eskaye.co.uk seems to be good for end of line branded make up and generally low cost with offers every month.
    Val
  • alison6692
    Hiya

I like http://www.directcosmetics.com - they have a fab service. Only downside is postage is the same if you are buying just a lippie or ten bottles.

My money saving expert tips are

1. This from an old thread - Milk of Magnesia as pore minimiser. I use it as a five minute mask. V.good.

2. As a cellulite treatment I use a body brush and scrub in circular motions. It beats any of these anti-cellulite creams.

3. I use baby lotion as cheap lovely smelling body lotion.

4. Posh spice gave me this idea - I use normal baby wipes to get rid of make-up - not these 5 packs of little wipes.

5. Every woman needs YSL radiant touch - I have tried most of the competitors and they don't compare. It is expensive but an absolute must.
    http://www.slapiton.tv 16.95 - Shade 1. I haven't actually used this site yet myself.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

2,340Users online

Martin's Twitter