Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 29th Apr 14, 7:12 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Sim-only mobile broadband provider Samba Mobile closes down
    • 29th Apr 14, 7:12 PM
    MSE News: Sim-only mobile broadband provider Samba Mobile closes down 29th Apr 14 at 7:12 PM
    About 2,000 Samba Mobile customers will no longer be able to use their broadband Sim cards after the firm closed down

Read the full story:

Sim-only mobile broadband provider Samba Mobile closes down

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • prowla
    • By prowla 29th Apr 14, 7:20 PM
    • 10,711 Posts
    • 9,671 Thanks
    prowla
    • 29th Apr 14, 7:20 PM
    • 29th Apr 14, 7:20 PM
    Noooooooo!

I had 20 GB of allowance built up.

That said, I only used them once in a blue moon,
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 29th Apr 14, 9:49 PM
    • 10,055 Posts
    • 2,993 Thanks
    chanz4
    • 29th Apr 14, 9:49 PM
    • 29th Apr 14, 9:49 PM
    Really not suprised, its like ovivo mobile once this site advertised it it couldnt cope
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
    • redux
    • By redux 30th Apr 14, 1:16 AM
    • 19,963 Posts
    • 27,891 Thanks
    redux
    • 30th Apr 14, 1:16 AM
    • 30th Apr 14, 1:16 AM
    I find it a bit odd that it can close without being in administration.

It's had the income from showing the ads, and thus owes its users varying amounts of data (some several gigabytes), but now decides it isn't going to pay for it.

I don't understand MSE's comment there was no phone number. This is incorrect, though I never tested it for incoming text messages
    • prowla
    • By prowla 30th Apr 14, 8:50 AM
    • 10,711 Posts
    • 9,671 Thanks
    prowla
    • 30th Apr 14, 8:50 AM
    • 30th Apr 14, 8:50 AM
    Really not suprised, its like ovivo mobile once this site advertised it it couldnt cope
    Originally posted by chanz4
    It had been around for much longer than Ovivo though.

I guess they needed people like me, who watched loads of ads but didn't use much service.
    • redux
    • By redux 30th Apr 14, 9:26 AM
    • 19,963 Posts
    • 27,891 Thanks
    redux
    • 30th Apr 14, 9:26 AM
    • 30th Apr 14, 9:26 AM
    It had been around for much longer than Ovivo though.

I guess they needed people like me, who watched loads of ads but didn't use much service.
    Originally posted by prowla
    That's why I'm not yet convinced by the explanation given.

Samba does not seem to have completely ceased trading. It is still serving adverts to customers of some partner companies.

If someone can get a minute and a third to call a UK mobile for watching one ad, that is approximately a penny worth at wholesale cost, 3 or 5 or more pence retail.

If one ad is sufficient to cover paying a penny and the operating margins on top, then watching 300 ads might seem to be enough to pay for a gigabyte of data at wholesale rates.

Their statement says

You have taken part in a unique experiment that has been welcomed by the ad industry – we have run over 1000 campaigns for our partners and have, to a large extent, proven that people are happy to consume advertising if they are in control of the experience and if they get something meaningful in return. We will be taking this experience into subsequent ventures.
    Someone who helped Samba earn money for the ads, and finds the data use in return to be an empty promise so easily reneged upon, may find it a bit difficult to feel in control of the next experience.
    Last edited by redux; 30-04-2014 at 9:57 AM.
    • redux
    • By redux 30th Apr 14, 9:42 AM
    • 19,963 Posts
    • 27,891 Thanks
    redux
    • 30th Apr 14, 9:42 AM
    • 30th Apr 14, 9:42 AM
    I also find it difficult to believe it had only 2000 customers. Is this a misprint?

After only 4 months of operation a press release in 2012 claimed 7000 already.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 30th Apr 14, 2:51 PM
    • 9,715 Posts
    • 2,625 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 30th Apr 14, 2:51 PM
    • 30th Apr 14, 2:51 PM
    Which will close next ?
    EE - that is only a pipe dream !!
  • JohnSmythe
    • 30th Apr 14, 8:12 PM
    Shame but that is life
    • 30th Apr 14, 8:12 PM
    I do not regret buying the dongle and SIM via the MMT offer, it has served me well and gave excellent value. So now to look around at the suggested links to find a replacement.
    • BabyF
    • By BabyF 1st May 14, 2:16 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    BabyF
    I liked having Samba there for the odd occasions I needed internet access on my iPad when away from home. Has anyone decided on the best replacement yet?
    • tajotajo
    • By tajotajo 3rd May 14, 1:03 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tajotajo
    I ordered in 23rd of March, arriving to me in 27th, so... just one month of use, and actually less because i was away for 2 weeks

Maybe I deserve a refund as the people how ordered just one week behind me. I´m gonna try I think.

It´s not too much money anyway, but we neither can use the rest of "our" data.

That´s a shame because samba was perfect in my case
  • JimboB
    Samba USB Dongle
    It's a shame that Samba has closed down. I used the service occasionally when away from home and normally got a good signal.

It has been suggested that you can insert a new SIM card into the Samba dongle. I had thought that it was locked to the Three mobile network. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true please? If not, which networks have you been able to connect to? Thanks
    • redux
    • By redux 25th Jun 14, 3:08 AM
    • 19,963 Posts
    • 27,891 Thanks
    redux
    The day before MSE said: "The firm told us it had around 2,000 users in total", Samba told other people that its ad network on other platforms was adding hundreds of thousands of users per month.

The firm is not broke. It just decided it was convenient to renege on its promises to people who had built up gigabytes of future use on its SIM cards.
    Last edited by redux; 25-06-2014 at 3:10 AM.
  • hemsby
    Too Many GB
    When samba went out of business l had 10 sim cards and about 108 GB of data so l lost them all l only used them when l went on holidays as there was no Wi-Fi on our site in great Yarmouth now l have to pay for my data off Three
  • hemsby
    I do not regret buying the dongle and SIM via the MMT offer, it has served me well and gave excellent value. So now to look around at the suggested links to find a replacement.
    Originally posted by JohnSmythe

l buy my sim cards from PC world for £7-99 however you do not have to top them up because it cost you £10-00 so it is cheaper to buy another sim card l think they are all jumping on the band wagon and putting the price up so you will have to buy it if you want to use it
    Last edited by hemsby; 19-07-2014 at 12:51 AM.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 19th Jul 14, 1:44 AM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    l buy my sim cards from PC world for £7-99 however you do not have to top them up because it cost you £10-00 so it is cheaper to buy another sim card l think they are all jumping on the band wagon and putting the price up so you will have to buy it if you want to use it
    Originally posted by hemsby

The 3 1 GB data SIM is not great value at £7.99.

Consider the 6GB EE SIM for £15 instead. That will give you 6GB over three months.
    2GB for £5 instead of 1GB for £8.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

2,444Users online

Martin's Twitter