Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Allexie
    What to do with a glut of strawberries?
    • 28th Jun 05, 2:43 PM
    What to do with a glut of strawberries? 28th Jun 05 at 2:43 PM
    My strawberry bed has gone berserk this year...only in my second week of picking and I'm getting sick of them already and there is a crop of wild strawberries ripening fast too! Got sooo many I just don't know what to do with them all. 2 x bucketsful today! Even my neighbours are greeting them with a resigned 'oh thanks...again' now!

I've done the au natural, mousse/fool, in crumble, made syrupy gloop for ice-cream and I'm running out of ideas now. Still got loads of jam from last year left so don't want to make anymore. Haven't got a freezer, just the top bit of the fridge but I'm not too keen on freezing strawberries anyway.

What I would like are ideas as to how to best use them....it seems such a shame to waste them. I was thinking along the lines of preserving some in alcohol or alcoholic syrup but which and how??? Also was wondering if it is possible to dry them??? Or even just anything different to do with the perishing things!

Any thoughts and ideas would be very welcome....

♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

Page 1
  • trafalgar
    • 28th Jun 05, 2:53 PM
    This link tells you some ideas including drying them
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 28th Jun 05, 2:53 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    Will THIS help?
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 28th Jun 05, 2:55 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 28th Jun 05, 2:55 PM
    • 28th Jun 05, 2:55 PM
    mmm give them to me???? :confused:

Perhaps you could put them on a baking tray in a very low oven and dry them like you do tomatoes? Then you could store them in an airtight container and use on top of breakfast cereal/porridge?

could you pickle strawberries?

make nice jars of alcoholic strawberries, like you can get cherries etc in alcohol at Christmas. Could make good presents :confused:

also balsamic vinegar is nice over strawberries - could you make a savoury starter one night for tea?????

HTH
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • Trying2Save
    • 28th Jun 05, 7:01 PM
    • 28th Jun 05, 7:01 PM
    How about phoning your local school or old peoples home and asking them if they would like them? When my daughter was little someone brought in loads of sweetcorn that was spare, the cook served it up for lunch and the kids loved it.
  • Allexie
    • 28th Jun 05, 8:39 PM
    • 28th Jun 05, 8:39 PM
    How about phoning your local school or old peoples home and asking them if they would like them? When my daughter was little someone brought in loads of sweetcorn that was spare, the cook served it up for lunch and the kids loved it.
    by Trying2Save

Thanks T2S
    Actually I phoned a local Nursing Home this afternoon but was told they are only allowed to use foodstuffs from approved suppliers...the person I spoke to was very apologetic but said they have to abide by the rules! Will try the warden of the Sheltered Housing complex tomorrow...you wouldn't think it would be so difficult to give stuff away would you.....:confused:

Wonder if you can advertise foodstuff on the Freecycle thingy??

• Mado
    • By Mado 28th Jun 05, 8:52 PM
    • 20,484 Posts
    • 42,143 Thanks
    Mado
    • 28th Jun 05, 8:52 PM
    • 28th Jun 05, 8:52 PM
    MOve house and get new neighbours!!!!!

Lucky you!
    Here we are sharing between 1 and 3 (on a good day) strawberries betwen the 5 of us. Well nothing tastes like home-crop though.
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • BrokeBrokeBroke
    • 28th Jun 05, 9:01 PM
    • 28th Jun 05, 9:01 PM
    I know you said you didn't want to freeze them, but you could freeze them flat, then you'd always have some frozen fruit for smoothies or something??
  • Trying2Save
    • 28th Jun 05, 9:14 PM
    • 28th Jun 05, 9:14 PM
    I wondered if there might be rules and regulations regarding "donating fruit" seems daft doesn't it? If you lived near me I would be round like a shot - I bought strawberries (reduced to 50p for 454g) to make jam. I lady near me puts a notice outside her house "free apples" please help yourself. Maybe that would work :confused:
    • Chipps
    • By Chipps 28th Jun 05, 9:43 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Chipps
    I am so jealous! We only have 2 plants which have not yet started producing either strawberries in quantity, or more plants!
    • pol
    • By pol 29th Jun 05, 5:37 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    pol
    You can put them with some sugar, in either vodka or gin, in a bottle or jar and just shake them now and again. Come Christmas, make a trifle with the fruit or eat with ice cream and just drink the liqueur.

Then again if you have 10-12 lbs you could make a couple of gallons of wine, one of the best wines I ever made was strawberry. Mmmmmmmm

pol
  • Allexie
    You can put them with some sugar, in either vodka or gin, in a bottle or jar and just shake them now and again. Come Christmas, make a trifle with the fruit or eat with ice cream and just drink the liqueur.

Then again if you have 10-12 lbs you could make a couple of gallons of wine, one of the best wines I ever made was strawberry. Mmmmmmmm

pol
    by pol

Oooh, now strawberry wine sounds good! Is it complicated though and do you have to have special equipment?

• dastephens
    Just carry on eating as much as you can as these are one of lifes superfoods - full of iron and vitamins. You could always set up by a country road side and sell them!
    • zodiac
    • By zodiac 30th Jun 05, 12:13 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    zodiac
    Blend them down with a tiny bit of cream and drink it - Yummy!
    Are you on the tube net work? I'll take them off your hands, really PM me if you want, I love strawberrys
    I remember when this was just a little website!
  • Helen from yorkshire
    Where are you Allexie, I'd love some strawbs. Failing that, are you registered on freecycle and give them away !
    • pol
    • By pol 6th Jul 05, 3:19 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    pol
    Allexie

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, I've been away. Anyway, at a pinch you can manage with a food grade bucket, a demijohn and airlock.
    Take a look at the recipes here
    http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques5.asp
    It makes a really lovely wine.

pol
    • Chell
    • By Chell 2nd Apr 06, 11:13 AM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell
    Strawberries
    Any ideas what I can do with some strawberries to use them up? The kids don't seem keen on them cold from the fridge so I was thinking maybe I can add them to a pudding? Would they work in a microwave sponge or in an Eves pudding done in the oven?

Any suggestions welcome, many thanks.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 2nd Apr 06, 11:28 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Mine love strawberry milk shake. Just blend the strawberries, milk and a little sugar with a stick blender. If you're feeling generous add a blob of ice cream.

Pink
    • TOBRUK
    • By TOBRUK 2nd Apr 06, 11:47 AM
    • 2,293 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    TOBRUK
    Why not make a strawberry fool or mousse, very simple and delicious. There are loads of strawberry recipes online.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 2nd Apr 06, 12:59 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Strawberries combine well with rhubarb in hot puddings.I prefer them in cold desserts.You could add them to a packet of stawberry jelly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,510Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin