Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 22nd Apr 14, 1:49 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    The Great 'Hidden UK Hostel Gems' Hunt
    • 22nd Apr 14, 1:49 PM
    0 WOW
    The Great 'Hidden UK Hostel Gems' Hunt 22nd Apr 14 at 1:49 PM
    The Great 'Hidden UK Hostel Gems' Hunt

Donít think dodgy smelly dorms Ė some hostels are historic mansions such as Ilam Hall in Derbyshire. Most are clean, have private rooms available and breakfast.

If you're a hostel fan, we'd love to know your hidden UK hostel gems. Where did you stay, what did you like about it and roughly how much did it cost? Here are a few from Facebook to start you off:

ďBlack Sail, in Cumbria - remote and a haven of warmth & good food on a cold, wet, windy night. I enjoyed it so much (particularly the sticky toffee pudding).Ē Paul

"Grinton Lodge Youth Hostel near Richmond Yorkshire is very special! Fantastic for kids, walkers, cyclists. We had the family room which was actually a suite in the turret - amazing and very good value for money" Louise

"Four Courts Hostel in Dublin - fabulous, great people, lovely clean rooms, really handy for the pubs etc. As much breakfast as you can eat (and with the hangover I had, I needed all the toast and orange juice I could get!)" Jane

Also see the Great 'Worldwide Hostel gems' hunt.

Click reply below to share your faves. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

View all past Great Hunts.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Sally; 22-04-2014 at 4:34 PM.
Page 1
  • ses99
    • 22nd Apr 14, 2:29 PM
    • 22nd Apr 14, 2:29 PM
    The Old School Hostel, Trefin, Wales
    • littlemonkeywolf
    • By littlemonkeywolf 22nd Apr 14, 2:48 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    littlemonkeywolf
    • 22nd Apr 14, 2:48 PM
    • 22nd Apr 14, 2:48 PM
    Smart city, Edinburgh. For 5 adults for 2 nights it worked out at £230. Had our own 6 person dorm with own lockable door, clean and right in the centre of tone and not far from transport links.

Cheap bar also and served breakfast and food throughout the day. Would defiantly use them again.
    Member of Mortgage free in three.
    55. littlemonkeywolf. Reduce my mortgage
    Current Over payment for 2016-17= zero!
    • gawa75
    • By gawa75 22nd Apr 14, 5:43 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    gawa75
    • 22nd Apr 14, 5:43 PM
    • 22nd Apr 14, 5:43 PM
    Been hostelling for 6 years now. The very best ones I've experienced are...

(in no particular order)

Downhill Beach house Hostel, Castlerock, Northern Ireland
    Kinlay House Hostel, Galway City, Rep of Ireland
    Skyewalker Hostel, Portnalong, Isle of Skye
    River House Backpackers, Cardiff, Wales
  • Mona Lisa
    • 22nd Apr 14, 6:30 PM
    • 22nd Apr 14, 6:30 PM
    'Once Brewed', on Hadrian's Wall. Very friendly. Great location.
  • ivanidea
    • 22nd Apr 14, 9:03 PM
    • 22nd Apr 14, 9:03 PM
    Always enjoyed staying at Dimmingsdale Youth Hostel, near Alton Towers. Lovely setting and good walking.

Carbisdale Castle in Scotland was probably the grandest hostel I stayed in.

The best bunkhouse has to be at Dolgoch. No electricity and in a remote area off the beaten track. Worth a visit.

I think the worst hostel has to be St. Pauls (City of London) in London, with the nearby bells chiming every 15 minutes including the night! Nothing wrong with the hostel though, just lack of sleep.
    • pinball13
    • By pinball13 23rd Apr 14, 1:14 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    pinball13
    • 23rd Apr 14, 1:14 PM
    • 23rd Apr 14, 1:14 PM
    The YHA in Bath, £50 for one night in a en suite twin. A cheap way to spend the night in an expensive city! It's a long uphill walk back from the centre if you don't have a car though.
  • crawdiddly
    • 24th Apr 14, 3:22 PM
    • 24th Apr 14, 3:22 PM
    All Scottish Independent Hostels are quality assured by Visit Scotland and of an excellent standard - just visit the website for a selection of 120 Hostels, all owner owned by people passionate about Hostelling
    • The ICT Engineer
    • By The ICT Engineer 24th Apr 14, 6:19 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    The ICT Engineer
    • 24th Apr 14, 6:19 PM
    • 24th Apr 14, 6:19 PM
    All Scottish Independent Hostels are quality assured by Visit Scotland and of an excellent standard - just visit the website for a selection of 120 Hostels, all owner owned by people passionate about Hostelling
    Originally posted by crawdiddly
    A bland statement from the PR department of the Scottish Independent Hostel Association. Try reading the OP question first before posting.
  • JellyS
    Stayed at St Briavels castle once and had an amazing time. They had a special 'castle night' on with authentic food and ghost stories, was really good fun.
    Also loved Wilderhope Manor, lovely building and good remote location (but lots with in a drivable distance.
    • The ICT Engineer
    • By The ICT Engineer 25th Apr 14, 12:34 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    The ICT Engineer
    Many of the YHA hostels in England and Wales that were real gems have been closed and flog off to the highest bidder.

These are just some of more than 80 that have been lost.
    Badby (Northhamptonshire)
    Bradenham (Bucks)
    Cranborne (North Dorset)
    Crockam Hill (Kent)
    Copt Oak (Leicestershire)
    Elton (Peaks)
    Kings Lynn (Norfolk)
    Meerbrook (Staff Moorlands)
    Overton (Hants)
    Portsmouth (Hants)
    Shinning Cliff (Peaks)
    Saffon Walden (Essex) ‎
    Winchester (Hants)
    Windsor (Berkshire)
    Last edited by The ICT Engineer; 25-04-2014 at 12:43 AM.
  • belfastgirl1
    Bechfront Hostel
    Downhill Hostel on NI's stunning Causeway Coast, as already mentioned, is beautiful inside and out. And the YHA's Whitepark Bay Hostel, which looks across the eponymous pristine beach, has an equally amazing view. Game of Thrones fans can stay at either and explore the series' local filming locations.
  • Knitaholic2
    Lots of lovely YHA hostels in amazing places, such as Black Sail (Lake District), Ravenstor (Derbyshire) and Malham (Yorkshire dales). However also lots of lovely hostels in places you wouldn't expect, such as Milton Keynes and Durham (Chad's College in the summer). - Not just a bargain but also unique and beautiful buildings, often lovely grounds and space to relax - so much better than B&Bs and boring chain hotels.
  • bigbullyweedave
    Always enjoyed staying at Carbisdale Castle in Scotland was probably the grandest hostel I stayed in.
    Originally posted by ivanidea
    I would totally agree. But it's closed down now, maybe for good
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbisdale_Castle

One of my fave UK hostels is the Old Inn at Carbost - amazing lochside setting, mad but fun guys running the pub and the Talisker distillery steps away
    http://www.theoldinnskye.co.uk/

Cheers, Mrs. BBWD

• Dragonjnr
    • By Dragonjnr 30th Apr 14, 9:00 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    Dragonjnr
    I've just come back from my first ever Youth Hostel stay, at the hostel in Wells-next-the-Sea. I'm a single traveller and stayed in a dorm room for two nights, sharing with two friends the first night, and a mum and daughter the second night.

The guy on the desk was really friendly and helpful, the hostel was clean and warm, and the kitchen was extremely well stocked. The TV room has a great selection of kids videos, books and games, and the water was hot and plentiful in the shower rooms.

I was a little unsettled on the first night, as the walls are quite thin and you can hear everyone popping to the loo in the night. I was much more settled on the second night, after I'd gotten more used to it.

For a cheap break near the seaside, I'd highly recommend this hostel.
    • Mynxmox
    • By Mynxmox 6th Sep 14, 6:31 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Mynxmox
    New to hostelling
    Thanks to this thread I have decided to give it a go! Did a LOT of research as going by myself and don't drive; had to find public transport door to door. So, going to Newport in Pembrokeshire. Will let you know what it was like. Any tips about attractions although I will be doing a lot of walking in that beautiful natural area.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 6th Sep 14, 7:10 PM
    • 4,692 Posts
    • 6,064 Thanks
    jack_pott
    My favourite hostels tend to be the primitive little ones, just the sort they keep closing. I've done over 200 of them, some of the best are:

Black Sail
    Barrow House (now independent)
    Wasdale Hall
    Eskdale
    St Briavels
    Coniston Coppermine
    Skiddaw House
    St Davids
    was better before the refurb, when the legs of the bunk beds stood in the cattle feeding troughs in the cowshed.
    Clun, an old watermill.
    Rowen is a magical setting with an aerial view of the Conwy valley below, a bit like Grinton.
    Tintagel is superb, perched on the clifftops.
    Perranporth isn't much to look at, but the setting is spectacular, and it has an interesting history as the top secret radio base that used to communicate with the submarines in the Atlantic during the war.
    Edmundbyers and Slaidburn are lovely old Inns.
    Eyam is a quaint Victorian folly, and the history of the Plague Village is both fascinating and moving.
    Telscombe is lovely, in a little hamlet up on the Downs.
    Tanners Hatch is just idyllic!!
    Youlgreave is the old village Co-op.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 7th Sep 14, 11:46 AM
    • 4,692 Posts
    • 6,064 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Thanks to this thread I have decided to give it a go! Did a LOT of research as going by myself and don't drive; had to find public transport door to door. So, going to Newport in Pembrokeshire. Will let you know what it was like. Any tips about attractions although I will be doing a lot of walking in that beautiful natural area.
    Originally posted by Mynxmox
    Newport is a nice little hostel, it's the old village school. There's excellent walking on the Pembrokeshire Coast Path.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 13th Jan 15, 9:07 AM
    • 16,509 Posts
    • 12,631 Thanks
    hollydays
    Any good hostels en route to Portsmouth please?
    • Tuesday Tenor
    • By Tuesday Tenor 14th Jan 15, 1:23 AM
    • 973 Posts
    • 1,284 Thanks
    Tuesday Tenor
    Any good hostels en route to Portsmouth please?
    Originally posted by hollydays
    En route from where?!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,279Posts Today

7,866Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin