Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Mr_Crunch
    • By Mr_Crunch 4th Apr 14, 10:49 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Mr_Crunch
    • 4th Apr 14, 10:49 AM
    • 4th Apr 14, 10:49 AM
    Having been alarmed by the blog article (I have had the PO Home Phone package with free evening/weekend calls for over 2 years), I checked the price lists on the Post Office website, and rung them to clarify as well. I find that, as far as their charging/billing is concerned:

- the current Line Rental charge (£12 p.m.) has included just free weekend UK landline calls anyway since September
    - the 'Evening & Weekend' calls addition (+£1.25p.m.) also since September actually means free Evening calls to UK landlines; free Weekend calls to landlines in 40 other countries; and free Weekend calls to UK mobiles.

The overall package still equates to exactly what I started with 2 years ago.

Then from 14 April the Line Rental charge will increase to £13.

So really in practice it's no change apart from the £1 extra Line Rental - other than it all being very confusing, compounded by both the Post Office jiggling their charging structure around, and the blog article using unnecessarily alarmist phrases like "customers will lose their free evening calls" and "the Post Office is axing free UK weekday evening calls from its bundles".
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 5th Apr 14, 3:57 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 5th Apr 14, 3:57 PM
    • 5th Apr 14, 3:57 PM
    If they were fibre prices, I would be delighted.
    As ADSL2+ prices, it sounds like an April Fools joke.
    • afmfifgh
    • By afmfifgh 5th Apr 14, 6:39 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    afmfifgh
    • 5th Apr 14, 6:39 PM
    • 5th Apr 14, 6:39 PM
    Agree with Mr Crunch about the article. Very poorly written and causes confusion. Read it and thought I was in for a hike and loss of some of my free calls.

Only to check and find out nothing was changing in my case.

Would rather they reported clear facts rather than alarmist headlines - leave that to the papers!
  • flightcrew
    • 18th Apr 14, 6:09 AM
    • 18th Apr 14, 6:09 AM
    Moving to Post office Broadband? think again, Post office Broadband is now run by Talk Talk!
  • penspost
    • 10th May 14, 11:18 AM
    Postoffice Home phone & Broadband
    • 10th May 14, 11:18 AM
    I have been a customer of the post office phone and broadband service for years. Then they decided in their infinite lack of wisdom to get into bed with Talk Talk. What a mistake! Since that time they are a complete shambles. Failed to send me any bills for over 6 months didn't know what i owed them when i rang billing and today i ring them up to complain directly, (because despite sending 4 emails to their complaints department and having them all completely ignored) I get no apology - just an offer to send my old bills out by post since 2007!! I think someone is missing the point here. I was previously many years ago with Talk Talk and it took me more than 3 months to get them to send me my mac code so i could leave their shambolic outfit. Seems I'm going to have to go through it all over again!!
    • bondy01
    • By bondy01 10th May 14, 11:32 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    bondy01
    • 10th May 14, 11:32 AM
    • 10th May 14, 11:32 AM
    I was concerned when I heard they were switching the backbone to tt but have had no problems since the change last autumn. My bb speed is now 50% higher than when it was using the BT network. One thing I have noticed is that a new dd was setup with a slightly different payee name and the old one no longer used. Would have been nice to tell me this though.
    • MickM
    • By MickM 6th Jun 14, 12:33 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MickM
    • 6th Jun 14, 12:33 PM
    • 6th Jun 14, 12:33 PM
    We are with PlusNet but the Post Office pricing is considerably cheaper (both for broadband and line rental). We are very rural in a Market 1 area with no prospect of improvement in the foreseeable future.
    I am unclear where Talk Talk will fit into this as they withdrew from here a few years ago. We were with them before but they were hopeless. The Post Office have confirmed that they can supply the service to us.
    Can anybody help by clarifying where BT and Talk Talk will fit into the picture and advise on how bad (or good) the service might be?
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 9th Jun 14, 1:46 AM
    • 4,278 Posts
    • 3,951 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 9th Jun 14, 1:46 AM
    • 9th Jun 14, 1:46 AM
    We are with PlusNet but the Post Office pricing is considerably cheaper (both for broadband and line rental). We are very rural in a Market 1 area with no prospect of improvement in the foreseeable future.
    I am unclear where Talk Talk will fit into this as they withdrew from here a few years ago. We were with them before but they were hopeless. The Post Office have confirmed that they can supply the service to us.
    Can anybody help by clarifying where BT and Talk Talk will fit into the picture and advise on how bad (or good) the service might be?
    Originally posted by MickM
    Talk Talk can still provide service by using the BT equipment rather than their own - and the service from both is usually pretty good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,903Users online

Martin's Twitter