Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 20th Mar 14, 5:43 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: EE users suffer mobile problems: What are your rights?
    • 20th Mar 14, 5:43 PM
    MSE News: EE users suffer mobile problems: What are your rights? 20th Mar 14 at 5:43 PM
    "EE says it's now fixed a problem which left many customers unable to use their mobiles last night and early this morning"

Read the full story:

EE users suffer mobile problems: What are your rights?

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 20th Mar 14, 5:59 PM
    • 6,449 Posts
    • 12,982 Thanks
    dealer wins
    • 20th Mar 14, 5:59 PM
    • 20th Mar 14, 5:59 PM
    Seriously are you really suggesting making a complaint for 1 evening loss of service!!
    • dastep
    • By dastep 20th Mar 14, 7:27 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    dastep
    • 20th Mar 14, 7:27 PM
    • 20th Mar 14, 7:27 PM
    For the past 10 years, my phone and my wife's phone have been connected to ASDA's old mobile phone system when they were with Vodafone and I never had one complaint. I could press a few buttons to check balance and coverage was never a problem. Topping up was also easy when we did our shopping in ASDA.

A few weeks ago, I decided to switch my wife's phone to the new system and apply to move her number to the new EE system. I called customer service and thought it should take between 3 - 5 days.

Nine days later, it was still dead. The old sim went dead which is understandable but then the new sim 'did something' to her unlocked Blackberry and I couldn't get any other sim cards to work in it to connect to a network.

She is now with Sainsbury's and she loves it. They have the same rates as ASDA EE and we can top up online and check balance online too.

My wife's old Blackberry is toast because of ASDA EE and I have tossed it and purchased a new phone for her.

I am still with ASDA, but will be changing to Sainsbury's Vodafone once my credit runs out on the current EE sim card that I have in my phone.

ASDA really messed up with this one.
    Last edited by dastep; 20-03-2014 at 7:32 PM.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 20th Mar 14, 8:18 PM
    • 2,632 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 20th Mar 14, 8:18 PM
    • 20th Mar 14, 8:18 PM
    An EE spokesperson says: "Last night's technical issue that caused a small proportion of our customers to experience problems with their signal has been resolved and all customers are now receiving a normal service.

Normal for EE that is. Those of us with T-Mobile and Orange have seen a definite degradation of coverage since EE took over.
    • simax
    • By simax 20th Mar 14, 9:02 PM
    • 1,799 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    simax
    • 20th Mar 14, 9:02 PM
    • 20th Mar 14, 9:02 PM
    Disagree. My signal has been fine here.
    I say it as it is - you may not like that but what would you prefer? A string of false platitudes that are no help whatsoever just to make you feel better? If my advice has helped, please press the Thanks button over here ----------------V. Cheers
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 20th Mar 14, 10:46 PM
    • 7,139 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 20th Mar 14, 10:46 PM
    • 20th Mar 14, 10:46 PM
    I have 3 EE SIMS on the same EE account, all issued at the same time. The behaviours were:

1) SIM in a 4G HTC ONE phone. Went to "no service" between about 7pm and 4am. Couldn't use at all.

2) SIM in an old iPhone. Intermittant problems. Generally could receive calls.

3) SIM in a Nokia 100 phone. Couldn't receive calls. But could call out to non-EE numbers.

Calls to 150 (from any phone) got number not recognised or cut off.

Based on my experience and people I know on EE, it was certainly more than a "small proportion" of people that were affected.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 21st Mar 14, 7:59 AM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 2,970 Thanks
    boatman
    • 21st Mar 14, 7:59 AM
    • 21st Mar 14, 7:59 AM
    Sadly EE/tmobile/orange couldn't give a fig about its customers, just read all the complaints all over the internet, OFCOM should take their operating licence away, but sadly they are toothless and too afraid to stand up for the consumer.
    • Bravestar
    • By Bravestar 21st Mar 14, 9:45 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Bravestar
    • 21st Mar 14, 9:45 AM
    • 21st Mar 14, 9:45 AM
    Disagree. My signal has been fine here.
    Originally posted by simax
    I'm with Virgin (who use EE as their mobile services provider)

There was definitely an issue on the evening of the 19th. My mobile which was working then suddenly came up with 'Sim not recognised' and no signal.

Thinking is was a low signal area, I manually attempted to change from t-mobile to orange, and again it said 'Sim not recognised'

The article does say it only affected some customers.

All working fine now though
    • Bravestar
    • By Bravestar 21st Mar 14, 9:49 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Bravestar
    • 21st Mar 14, 9:49 AM
    • 21st Mar 14, 9:49 AM
    Sadly EE/tmobile/orange couldn't give a fig about its customers, just read all the complaints all over the internet, OFCOM should take their operating licence away, but sadly they are toothless and too afraid to stand up for the consumer.
    Originally posted by boatman
    So who do you work for? Vodafone or O2?
    • warhead
    • By warhead 21st Mar 14, 2:49 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    warhead
    This breakdown is not unique as it follows problems for Network Three and O2 on previous occasions, so Vodafone will probably be next!
    It could just be that these modern systems are not as robust as they should be or that they will always be prone to so called "outages" at certain times. That's my theory anyway.
    On the other hand they could be the work of persons unknown flexing their cyber warfare muscles - take a look at the book Cyber War by Richard A Clarke who worked in the White House for four previous presidents - it makes sobering reading.
    And in case anyone thinks I have a financial interest in the book - I don't, I was bought it as a present for my birthday as I'm interested in such things.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 21st Mar 14, 3:04 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 2,970 Thanks
    boatman
    So who do you work for? Vodafone or O2?
    Originally posted by Bravestar
    Haha, no but having had to deal with CISAS and OFCOM because of T-Mobiles incompetence I now know none of them are there for the benefit of the consumer. I think its got to the stage where these companies should be running scared of the regulators like the CAA, instead of acting with complete contempt to the consumer.
    The terms and conditions for these companies need to done by the regulator as they have all proved that they are incapable of writing their own, and the regulator having instant say in contract issues if the operator fails to resolve the problem quickly. The same applies to the energy companies, they have had their fun and ripped off the consumer for too long, it has to change.
    Last edited by boatman; 21-03-2014 at 3:06 PM. Reason: see
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 21st Mar 14, 4:49 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    Seriously are you really suggesting making a complaint for 1 evening loss of service!!
    Originally posted by dealer wins
    Completely agree with this. I can't believe MSE are telling people to complain...really?

Their T&C's covers things like this and I can understand if it was a prolonged outage but again, really? It was for less than. 12 hours.

Their t&c's also state they don't offer compensation for loss incurred because of things like this.

I am on Orange still with my old leaver's discount but my husband was affected. No biggie!
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 21st Mar 14, 6:17 PM
    • 2,632 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    I don't think you understand how much a number of their customers hate EE. Any stick to beat them with is a good thing imv.
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 21st Mar 14, 6:28 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    I don't think you understand how much a number of their customers hate EE. Any stick to beat them with is a good thing imv.
    Originally posted by Nodding Donkey
    Judging by the number of posts on here about them, I believe I do understand. I do however think it is wise sometimes to 'pick your battles' and complaining about being offline for 12 hours is not worth it imo.

I also can't remember the last time the energy companies compensated for a power cut which, some would argue, it much more detrimental to people!
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 21st Mar 14, 6:32 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    In addition, the title of this is 'What are your rights' - compensation culture ahoy!!

As far as I know, you don't particularly have any 'rights' to anything other than an apology seeing the issue was resolved relatively swiftly!

I'm all for moneysaving but this is a step too far!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 22nd Mar 14, 10:08 AM
    • 9,736 Posts
    • 2,627 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I agree that a simple loss of connectivity for a few hours overnight is not cause to claim compensation but when it is combined with all the other issues caused by ee (Who, incidentally don't give a fig about their customers) - then YES - CLAIM EVERY PENNY THAT YOU CAN !!
    Make life hard for ee - as they try to make life hard for their customers.
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 22-03-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 22nd Mar 14, 10:13 AM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    I agree that a simple loss of connectivity for a few hours overnight is not cause to claim compensation but when it is combined with all the other issues caused by EE (Who, incidentally don't give a fig about their customers) - then YES - CLAIM EVERY PENNY THAT YOU CAN !!
    Make life hard for ee - as they try to make life hard for their customers.
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    I can understand your sentiments and of course, there is no harm in trying. The point is though, you are not 'enititled' to anything so when they refuse your request for compensation, there's not a lot more you can do in regard to this!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 22nd Mar 14, 10:24 AM
    • 9,736 Posts
    • 2,627 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I can understand your sentiments and of course, there is no harm in trying. The point is though, you are not 'enititled' to anything so when they refuse your request for compensation, there's not a lot more you can do in regard to this!
    Originally posted by Anoneemoose

That's not necessarily true - if anyone manages to get a case by CISAS - It will cost ee in time if not money coming up with a defence - it will cost the complainant diddly squat !!
  • KeenCyclist71
    On going problems with EE
    EE are in my bottom three of companies, and that is saying something as a former debt advisor. I "upgraded" to a new phone that was worse than my old one, and I can't access any details of my account now. I tried to ring customer services and was on hold, or asked super hard security details like how much was debited from my bank (which was hard as I couldn't access my online bills). Anyway even when I waded through that and advised I wanted to complain they put me on hold for 14 minutes (thanks to the American office!). I gave up and found some quite good tips via Facebook strangely, as there are a lot of angry people out there, and at lest they respond to FB comments as they are so public.

This is a good website, but a quick tip emailing CEO Olaf doesn't work; assume his account has been swamped or deleted. Just email everyone, and BCC it. I did get a response from Executive Office asking for my contact numbers (hello? You supply my mobile and landline?), asking me to ring, did so, and they are out the office until middle of next week.You couldn't make it up could you? It's a "splattergun" approach and not one I would use at work, but I've written a letter, complained to Customer Services, so what to do eh?

Escalate to a Deadlock Letter I'd suggest then take to Ofcom. If they threaten you with court action at least you have the evidence that you are being the reasonable party.

I can't post link apparently but just type in EE & Complaints and Making a complaint and it should pop up. The website is eecomplaints.co.uk.
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 22nd Mar 14, 11:29 AM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    That's not necessarily true - if anyone manages to get a case by CISAS - It will cost ee in time if not money coming up with a defence - it will cost the complainant diddly squat !!
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    I highly doubt CISAS will take the case on when the issue was resolved in a reasonable amount of time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

943Posts Today

7,170Users online

Martin's Twitter