Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    April2
    UPDATE 1st JULY 2005 - CALLER DISPLAY NOW FREE!
    • 27th Jun 05, 7:54 AM
    UPDATE 1st JULY 2005 - CALLER DISPLAY NOW FREE! 27th Jun 05 at 7:54 AM
    1st July 2005 - Caller Display IS NOW FREE to BT residential customers who make 'some' calls via BT.

This can be activated by calling the automated order line:

0800 916 55 44

N.B. There's a second option when you make that call - to register for the Telephone Preference Service (to stop cold callers).

You can choose either or both options just by pressing keys in response to the voice prompts.

Official Insert (by MSE Andrea 6/7/05)

To qualify for the free caller display you will need to sign up for the new FREE service they are launching, Privacy at Home which also includes the free option of Telephone Preference Service.

Unofficial Insert (by April2 6/7/05)

Hey everyone. I didn't really start this thread (although, now it's been split out from the original, longer, thread it looks like I did).

It's just that this post happened to be suitably 'loud' to use as a 'point to' from one of Martin's weekly e-mails.

Use it - BT don't usually give anything away!
    Last edited by April2; 21-07-2007 at 6:12 PM.
    Their - possessive pronoun (owned by them e.g. "They locked their car").
    They're - colloquial/abbreviated version of 'They are'
    There - noun (location other than here e.g. "You can buy groceries there") OR adverb (in or at that place e.g. "They have lived there for years") OR adverb (to or towards that place e.g. "Go there at noon") OR adverb (in that matter e.g. " I agree with you there").
Page 1
  • pinkonion
    • 29th Jun 05, 6:09 PM
    • 29th Jun 05, 6:09 PM
    My Mother had a call from BT today about her query over this. Being an OAP and the BT person having a thick Irish accent she's not 100% sure what they said but thinks she was told this is only for custopmers who only use BT for calls.

This seems bizarre so I'm not counting on it - she's certainly cheaper using 18866/1899 and paying the £1.75 anyway. We shall see!
  • mr_asbestos
    • 30th Jun 05, 5:40 PM
    • 30th Jun 05, 5:40 PM
    I am guessing that what your mother is being told about is a free BT calling feature called BT Privacy at Home.

From BT.com:

BT Privacy at Home** gives you more control over incoming calls. It includes Caller Display†, which could let you see the number of the person that's calling, so you can decide whether to pick up or leave it to your answering service. This package also allows you to register at the same time with the Telephone Preference Service.
    Like what you said though pinkonion, there is this section:

** BT residential customers making calls on the BT Network can opt in to receive BT Privacy at Home, free.
    I suppose the above is up to deliberation
  • nickinoo
    • 30th Jun 05, 5:46 PM
    • 30th Jun 05, 5:46 PM
    Not the staff, who probably get paid basic wages, had this sort of thing myself once. Just being nice, it does happen.

Will look myself come the first.
    by Al Mac
    BT staff are very well paid (well they were 2 years ago when I left them), the agency staff who work for them are not so well paid but usually still better than most call centre staff. BT do not normally release news of a price reduction in advance as it's classed as "share sensitive" information-in fact if anything the staff will be the last to know.

I'm lucky as I don't pay for caller display as it was free for staff & since I left they haven't charged me-shame
  • elvis_bloggs
    • 30th Jun 05, 5:57 PM
    • 30th Jun 05, 5:57 PM
    I wonder if I will get it, I'm on the Light User Scheme with BT.

• pricefighter
    • 30th Jun 05, 6:19 PM
    • 30th Jun 05, 6:19 PM
    I am guessing that what your mother is being told about is a free BT calling feature called BT Privacy at Home.
    by mr_asbestos
    Thanks i just signed up for it online,for my second BT res line.

They register you for TSP, and you get FREE CALLER DISPLAY. Cant be bad.
    PF.
  • Weymouth Man
    • 30th Jun 05, 6:25 PM
    • 30th Jun 05, 6:25 PM
    Great news, we will soon know, is it existing customers as well ?

Not free for me, I use Sky phone package only
    Last edited by Weymouth Man; 08-07-2005 at 9:34 PM.
    • bbb_uk
    • By bbb_uk 30th Jun 05, 8:10 PM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    bbb_uk
    • 30th Jun 05, 8:10 PM
    • 30th Jun 05, 8:10 PM
    Could someone post a link to this BT Privacy at Home as a google search of BT.com didn't help much.

Thanks.
    SayNoTo0870.com
  • April2
    • 30th Jun 05, 8:38 PM
    • 30th Jun 05, 8:38 PM
    Could someone post a link to this BT Privacy at Home as a google search of BT.com didn't help much.

Thanks.
    by bbb_uk
    I believe BT are going for the prize for the world's most convoluted website but, if I'm lucky, THIS is the link you want.

Sorry everyone, that link's useless now - BT's use of 'sessions' means such a link 'dies' after a while - and that one's has now expired.
    Last edited by April2; 01-07-2005 at 8:11 AM.
    Their - possessive pronoun (owned by them e.g. "They locked their car").
    They're - colloquial/abbreviated version of 'They are'
    There - noun (location other than here e.g. "You can buy groceries there") OR adverb (in or at that place e.g. "They have lived there for years") OR adverb (to or towards that place e.g. "Go there at noon") OR adverb (in that matter e.g. " I agree with you there").
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 30th Jun 05, 8:44 PM
    • 17,986 Posts
    • 22,277 Thanks
    Poppy9
    BT PRIVACY AT HOME

It says at the bottom that this service is free. So yes Caller Display is free too.
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
  • wealthsaver
    BT HOME PAGE

Then it is in products or services somewhere, hope that helps.
    by Al Mac
    It is in Products and services under Calling features.
    Some features are chargeable but as discussed in this thread you can sign up for BT Privacy at home from the drop down box titled;
    What services can I choose?

If you choose BT Privacy at home and click the go button.
    You will need your phone number and BT account number.
    You can't link to the relevant page on BT's web site since they use sessions in the url!
    Last edited by wealthsaver; 30-06-2005 at 8:46 PM. Reason: more info
    Wealthsaving - a way of life?
    • bbb_uk
    • By bbb_uk 30th Jun 05, 8:47 PM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    bbb_uk
    I believe BT are going for the prize for the world's most convoluted website but, if I'm lucky, THIS is the link you want.
    by April2
    Thanks.

We have made some calls via BT since we got it in April. OK - just a few when I updated the routing info on the orchid dialler whilst we were waiting for OneTel's CPS to become active. Do you think I qualify? LOL
    SayNoTo0870.com
  • CrazyChemist
    Hmmmmm, looks too good to be true...

Does this involve ditching the CPS provider (TalkTalk in my case) and going to BT?? I notice they state
    "** BT residential customers making calls on the BT Network can opt in to receive BT Privacy at Home, free. "
    Dodgy. Just as BT should be Can anyone help on this ambiguity??
    • bbb_uk
    • By bbb_uk 30th Jun 05, 9:11 PM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    bbb_uk
    ...Does this involve ditching the CPS provider (TalkTalk in my case) and going to BT?...
    by CrazyChemist
    It isn't very clear but chances are you will have to ditch your CPS provider and use BT. If thats the case it probably isn't worth ditching TalkTalk and losing out on the free weekend calls (even if it is timed to 70mins).

Nothing dodgy or wrong about what BT are doing. They are just offering free Caller display for those that use BT for calls. Similar to TalkTalk that offer free calls to other TalkTalk users when you have TalkTalk, or even OneTel's free DQ service when you use OneTel as your call provider.
    SayNoTo0870.com
    • DonnyDave
    • By DonnyDave 30th Jun 05, 10:00 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    DonnyDave
    So what else does 'BT Privacy' include?
    Dave
    Say no to 0870!
  • pricefighter
    So what else does 'BT Privacy' include?
    by DonnyDave
    1571 if you havent got it,and they will register your no for TPS.
    PF.
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 30th Jun 05, 10:12 PM
    • 17,986 Posts
    • 22,277 Thanks
    Poppy9
    I think I cancelled 1571 ages ago because there was a charge or some maybe someother reason. Do you have to pay to listen to your messages?
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
  • pricefighter
    I think I cancelled 1571 ages ago because there was a charge or some maybe someother reason. Do you have to pay to listen to your messages?
    by Poppy9
    No its free!!!
    PF.
    • DonnyDave
    • By DonnyDave 30th Jun 05, 10:23 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    DonnyDave
    1571 if you havent got it,and they will register your no for TPS.
    by pricefighter
    Do I have a choice of NOT having 1571 with BT Privacy? Or is this a cynical ploy to get more people using 1571 to increase the number of calls which are connected? See The Five Ring Slam-down Campaign!.

Where does it say that BT Privacy includes 1571? Where's the full info on what it does include?
    Last edited by DonnyDave; 30-06-2005 at 10:29 PM.
    Dave
    Say no to 0870!
  • tonyg
    Thanks for this post. Have just cancelled my caller display and ordered BT Privacy with caller Display. That's just saved me £1.75 a month!!

Thanks again for this great link!
    Tx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

88Posts Today

1,802Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin