Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Brb
    • 13th Mar 14, 2:27 PM
    • 13th Mar 14, 2:27 PM
    For the second year running my council has further reduced the level of council tax support to those on benefits.

I currently work part-time and my bill will now equate to an eighth of my monthly wage.

They have of course taken joy in telling everyone that they haven't raised the council tax bill itself.

It's a struggle.
    Inside this body lays one of a skinny woman
    but I can usually shut her up with chocolate!

When I thank a post in a thread I've not posted in,
    it means that I agree with that post and have nothing further to add.
    • cheznal
    • By cheznal 13th Mar 14, 2:45 PM
    • 5,129 Posts
    • 9,196 Thanks
    cheznal
    • 13th Mar 14, 2:45 PM
    • 13th Mar 14, 2:45 PM
    We pay full council tax - my husband works full time, I work part time - I'm being made redundant in August though so will be looking to go back to work full time now my little boy is in school.

We fell behind with our council tax last year and ended up with the bailiffs at the door. We ended up dealing with a company called ROSSENDALES. What nasty people they are. 'I've got no money to pay £500 now' 'tough, find it'. They now take a percentage out of my earnings as an AOE from the courts. They didn't give us a chance to pay, didn't give us a chance to make arrangements, didn't even give us a chance to go to court and discuss it! We owed £540 Council Tax, I've been paying £35 for 9 months now. The balance is now £300..........work that out. This Rossendales add more and more charges on to the balance and there is no way to stop it. They threatened to take my 4 year old son's toys to recover the debt, threatened to wait outside my house and watch me. I went to CAB and eventually got help. Don't let them ruin your lives too, get help asap. Now I'm still paying the debt, so I'll be paying the £100+ charge a month + £35 a month debt from my earnings. It's soul destroying x
    Smoke-free since 7/12/2011 :0)
    2017 wins: Adidas Football, Sew heart felt fox puppet, Littlelife bunny backpack
  • Neil_948
    • 13th Mar 14, 3:25 PM
    Council Tax Advisors
    • 13th Mar 14, 3:25 PM
    We pay full council tax - my husband works full time, I work part time - I'm being made redundant in August though so will be looking to go back to work full time now my little boy is in school.

We fell behind with our council tax last year and ended up with the bailiffs at the door. We ended up dealing with a company called ROSSENDALES. What nasty people they are. 'I've got no money to pay £500 now' 'tough, find it'. They now take a percentage out of my earnings as an AOE from the courts. They didn't give us a chance to pay, didn't give us a chance to make arrangements, didn't even give us a chance to go to court and discuss it! We owed £540 Council Tax, I've been paying £35 for 9 months now. The balance is now £300..........work that out. This Rossendales add more and more charges on to the balance and there is no way to stop it. They threatened to take my 4 year old son's toys to recover the debt, threatened to wait outside my house and watch me. I went to CAB and eventually got help. Don't let them ruin your lives too, get help asap. Now I'm still paying the debt, so I'll be paying the £100+ charge a month + £35 a month debt from my earnings. It's soul destroying x
    Originally posted by cheznal

I had the same problem with Equita baliffs I contacted the council tax advisors http://www.counciltaxadvisors.co.uk/and they negotiated a payment plan for me (I had to pay an admin fee but was worth it in the end took all the stress out of it.)
    • hallowitch
    • By hallowitch 13th Mar 14, 4:35 PM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    hallowitch
    • 13th Mar 14, 4:35 PM
    • 13th Mar 14, 4:35 PM

did the bailiff levy your goods
    I am not an expert I am self taught i have no legal training any information I post is based on my own personal experience and information gained from other web sites

If you are in any doubt please seek legal/expert advice help
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 14th Mar 14, 11:03 AM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    • 14th Mar 14, 11:03 AM
    • 14th Mar 14, 11:03 AM
    Council tax is a horrendous burden. Band C here is £1580 pa The council has just wasted 91 million of our money building a worthless tramway, that nobody wanted.
    And a disaster of a road layout that looks likely to be changed back, heaven knows how much that has and will cost.

The roads and pavements are in a terrible state and the town centre and market have died a death because of high rents and rates on shops.

What really annoys me is that in the last five years the town council part has risen by 25% and the police and fire budget now shows as seperate entities on the bill and both of those budgets have risen. So council tax being frozen is total BS
    Last edited by Butterfly Brain; 14-03-2014 at 11:06 AM.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Meteor
    • 14th Mar 14, 2:19 PM
    • 14th Mar 14, 2:19 PM
    What a nasty blow to people already on the bread-line.

They give somebody on the dole a 1% (70p week) rise and then make them pay a % (£2.69 weekly average) of Council Tax (where would have been covered in the past)

Where are people suppose to get the ££ from?
    • zerog
    • By zerog 14th Mar 14, 7:43 PM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    zerog
    • 14th Mar 14, 7:43 PM
    • 14th Mar 14, 7:43 PM
    What is the point of a tax if the government has to pay it for so many people?

That said, council tax is one of the better taxes although it should only be assessed on the value of land, not the value of buildings. It charges people for the exclusive use of things that belong to everybody.

Income tax depresses productivity and should be abolished. Then we might see people able to pay council tax.
    • cheznal
    • By cheznal 10th Jun 14, 10:19 PM
    • 5,129 Posts
    • 9,196 Thanks
    cheznal
    • 10th Jun 14, 10:19 PM
    • 10th Jun 14, 10:19 PM
    did the bailiff levy your goods
    Originally posted by hallowitch
    Didn't realise I had a response, so I apologise for the delay in replying.

No, they didn't take anything, apart from my confidence, health and feeling safe in my own home.

I'm a twenty something, married mother of one. They made me terrified to be left home alone whilst my husband was at work. I literally shook with fear as soon as he left for work. It was detrimental to my son also, as I was frightened to let him play out the front, because I keep my front door open whilst he's out there for obvious reasons, but leaving the door open is open invite basically.

Luckily it's nearly paid now, my husband rang them yesterday and there is £185.40 outstanding, I'm currently paying £32 a month based on my income but I'm currently doing a massive lump of overtime before my redundancy so hoping that it will clear it and they'll leave me to live in peace now and hopefully regain some confidence. I 'know' in the back of my mind that they won't do anything stupid, but they've worn me down so much that I've lost the confidence to be home alone, I sit in my room on my own whilst son at school and hubby at work, too scared to answer the door without knowing who's behind it. It really has made my life hell for months. All because of a 'forgotten' bill which snowballed! I though we'd set up a standing order for the bill to pay weekly, but apparently not!
    Smoke-free since 7/12/2011 :0)
    2017 wins: Adidas Football, Sew heart felt fox puppet, Littlelife bunny backpack
    • hallowitch
    • By hallowitch 11th Jun 14, 7:29 AM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    hallowitch
    Didn't realise I had a response, so I apologise for the delay in replying.

No, they didn't take anything, apart from my confidence, health and feeling safe in my own home.

I'm a twenty something, married mother of one. They made me terrified to be left home alone whilst my husband was at work. I literally shook with fear as soon as he left for work. It was detrimental to my son also, as I was frightened to let him play out the front, because I keep my front door open whilst he's out there for obvious reasons, but leaving the door open is open invite basically.

Luckily it's nearly paid now, my husband rang them yesterday and there is £185.40 outstanding, I'm currently paying £32 a month based on my income but I'm currently doing a massive lump of overtime before my redundancy so hoping that it will clear it and they'll leave me to live in peace now and hopefully regain some confidence. I 'know' in the back of my mind that they won't do anything stupid, but they've worn me down so much that I've lost the confidence to be home alone, I sit in my room on my own whilst son at school and hubby at work, too scared to answer the door without knowing who's behind it. It really has made my life hell for months. All because of a 'forgotten' bill which snowballed! I though we'd set up a standing order for the bill to pay weekly, but apparently not!

levying goods is not taking them put simply a levy is to secure your goods against the debt this was done on a notice of seizure (law changed in April and its now called a controlled goods agreement )either by entering your home and leaving a list of your goods and the fees charged or against your vehicle(did this happen) enforcement law changed in April however as long as you don't miss a payment you should be ok

Its always advisable to get a breakdown of fees from the council this can be done by e-mail send this to the revenues department post back when you get a reply and I will check to see if the fees charged are correct
    To:
    Acme Bailiff Co
    Bailiff House
    Ref: Account No: 123456
    Dear Sir
    With reference to the above account(s), Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.
    This includes:
    a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.
    b - the reason for the fee.
    c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.
    d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were certificated at.
    e - the date of the Certification.
    .F- if a levy fee has been charged please provide a copy of the notice of seizure however at this stage I will accept a list of the goods seized

This is not a Subject access request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.
    I require this information within 14 days.
    Yours faithfully
    Ripped off customer"
    I am not an expert I am self taught i have no legal training any information I post is based on my own personal experience and information gained from other web sites

If you are in any doubt please seek legal/expert advice help
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,322Posts Today

6,158Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin