Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 7th Oct 07, 8:24 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    The Great ‘The Most Economical Printers’ Hunt
    • 7th Oct 07, 8:24 PM
    0 WOW
    The Great ‘The Most Economical Printers’ Hunt 7th Oct 07 at 8:24 PM
    The Great ‘The Most Economical Printers’ Hunt

A £20 printer may be great; but if the cartridges run out after you print two pages and cost £79 a pop; it’s really not that good. So I want to tap MoneySavers feedback on the most economical printers around including both purchase, cartridges and other costs.

Best type of feedback

The more of the following info you can include the better

Name & model of printer:
    How much did it cost:
    Is it colour/b&w, laser or inkjet:
    When you got it:
    Roughly how long/many pages before you replace cartridges:
    How much to cartridges cost:
    Are these original cartridges, generic or refills (and do they work well)
    Any more costs/details:

Remember if you’re going to get a new printer – use the Cheapest Online Shopping article for details on how to speedily find it for less.

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 09-10-2007 at 7:11 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • barneydog
    • By barneydog 8th Oct 07, 8:30 AM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 33,131 Thanks
    barneydog
    • 8th Oct 07, 8:30 AM
    • 8th Oct 07, 8:30 AM
    The most economical way to print with an inkjet is to use a CISS (Continuous Ink Supply Systems).

This is the one I use with my Epsom R220 (it came with 12 150 ml bottles of compatible ink, 2 of each colour) and cost £19.99.

Replacement ink costs £5.99 for 6 150ml bottles.

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1171&prepg=3

This particular model is currently out of stock at SVP but they are available at other retailers including Bigpockets or on E-Bay.

These systems are available for a lot of Epsom printers but are hard to find for other makes (I have seen them for some Canons as well).

If you do a lot of colour printing these are worth considering as it is the cheapest way to print.
    • dellboy102
    • By dellboy102 8th Oct 07, 9:01 AM
    • 543 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    dellboy102
    • 8th Oct 07, 9:01 AM
    • 8th Oct 07, 9:01 AM
    I did come across that but i've heard CISS is fiddly to fit, I actually use a HP laserjet which provides most of what I need but need a color printer for the occasional color prints, the problem i've had is the print heads keep drying up, has ruined 2 printers so far, an epson and a canon, I think this time I will go for a HP as there heads are built into the carts, if anyone could point me to which HP model has the most economical carts (dont use it much at all, maybe once every 2 weeks) would be appreciated as need to buy one soon!
  • shammyjack
    • 8th Oct 07, 1:22 PM
    • 8th Oct 07, 1:22 PM
    I have a Brother DCP117C all in one print/scan/copy. Still available online for around Ł50, most Brother printers are good.

Refilling,
    Mine takes the LC900 series carts . Before installing in the printer put black tape over the see through section of the cart, this fools the printer into thinking all the carts are full and stops problems later on .

I do not print photographs on my printer as it is cheaper to upload them to an online print service and have them posted to me so cheap re-fill inks are not a problem .

I buy black and the 3 colours from the local 99p shop, drill a hole in the top of the cart using the tool provided with the ink and refill using the supplied sringe while still in the printer . When done seal the top with supplied plugs or use selotape .

Total cost Ł3.98 for all 4 carts plus some left depending on the size of the refills .

shammy
    • dellboy102
    • By dellboy102 8th Oct 07, 4:33 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    dellboy102
    • 8th Oct 07, 4:33 PM
    • 8th Oct 07, 4:33 PM
    I have a Brother DCP117C all in one print/scan/copy. Still available online for around Ł50, most Brother printers are good.
    Originally posted by shammyjack
    Any idea if the print head is built into the cartridge?
  • dc
    • 8th Oct 07, 6:11 PM
    • 8th Oct 07, 6:11 PM
    Any idea if the print head is built into the cartridge?
    Originally posted by dellboy102
    Not as far as I know, I have two Brother printers with similar numbers and the ink is just in tanks and the print head is in the printer, like most Epsons.
    ac's lovechild
  • johnts
    • 8th Oct 07, 8:59 PM
    Best Printer available
    • 8th Oct 07, 8:59 PM
    Hi,

I have searched high and low and on previous threads for printers that are economical to use. Unfortunately, the cheapest compatible inks are suitable for printers that are no longer on the market and where the printer manufacturer has gone on to implement 'intelligent' ink canisters that are harder (and more expensive) to cater for by the compatible inks market.

I have just ordered the Canon PIXMA MP130 for £46.99 from Viking Direct.

http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/catalog/catalogSku.do;jsessionid=0000WetU0eAi2w_CNSVp3ARfZ 3u:11g06oin9?id=mp130

This should be in short supply as it is no longer marketed through any other channel. The replacement inks cost 0.99 for Black & 2.50 for Black and colour from this website including P&P !!

http://www.phoenixdirectukshop.co.uk/acatalog/Canon_BCI24B-C.php?printer=478

Buy this through Quidco for a cashback .. It includes a scanner and photocopier as well !!

Cheers,

John
    Last edited by johnts; 08-10-2007 at 9:01 PM. Reason: add info
  • mascherano
    • 8th Oct 07, 9:06 PM
    • 8th Oct 07, 9:06 PM
    Those Samsung ML laser printers that were discussed on here a while back- Ł40 to buy, Ł5 to re-fill. Excellent print quality, excellent economy
  • DenBo
    • 8th Oct 07, 9:33 PM
    • 8th Oct 07, 9:33 PM
    Those Samsung ML laser printers that were discussed on here a while back- Ł40 to buy, Ł5 to re-fill. Excellent print quality, excellent economy
    Originally posted by mascherano
    Where did you buy this from? and how do you get such cheap refilling?

I have only got Ł25 to spend on a printer, is this feasible do you think:confused: ?

Thanks
  • Inactive
    I would also suggest the Brother All-in Ones as being the best option at this time.
  • FRISKYVENUS7963
    i have a canon ip2000 cost me Ł30 and can get cartridges off ebay for Ł1 each ive had it for 2 years now,
  • Nikolic
    I've got a HP c5180 all-in-one that I bagged for Ł90 at the start of the year direct from HP. It has some intelligent ink recycling system, so rather than wasting ink cleaning the heads, it recycles that ink.

I've printed over 300 pages from it, a mixture of colours (school documents etc) and all the colour cartridges are full, the black is 80%.

New ink costs Ł25 for all the cartridges, plus 150 sheets of 6x4 photo paper. (Official, top quality HP ink).
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Oct 07, 10:28 PM
    • 26,641 Posts
    • 96,045 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Serif Software do an ink saver program in their PC tools section for about Ł15. This allows you to adjust the amount of ink your printer uses to just above the point at which degradation starts to show. I haven't tried it as my ancient HP895CXi has a draft mode which prints fine for everyday text etc and is very economical. Haven't had good results with generic inks, so I buy HP carts on line from W2W.com. Others may know of cheaper sources.
    • aris
    • By aris 9th Oct 07, 10:38 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    aris
    I have a Canon i550 - they don't make it any more, but the carts are cheap - they used to sell them at Poundland even, and one stage were on a 50p special offer. The newer Canon printers have carts which use a chip - but I believe you can get around this quite easily.
    • eagleeye
    • By eagleeye 9th Oct 07, 10:46 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    eagleeye
    i prefer multifunctional canon mp110 and brother mfc 5840cn .The later one comes with Fax.The inks for both of them is cheaper from the phoneixdirect and justify the purchase of such lovely printers in long run
    • Gorf123
    • By Gorf123 10th Oct 07, 12:27 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Gorf123
    The most economical way to print with an inkjet is to use a CISS (Continuous Ink Supply Systems).

This is the one I use with my Epsom R220 (it came with 12 150 ml bottles of compatible ink, 2 of each colour) and cost Ł19.99.

Replacement ink costs Ł5.99 for 6 150ml bottles.

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1171&prepg=3

This particular model is currently out of stock at SVP but they are available at other retailers including Bigpockets or on E-Bay....
    Originally posted by barneydog
    For the sake of a few pence, wait for SVP. They have the best post-sales service I have experienced from an online-only retailer.

I did come across that but i've heard CISS is fiddly to fit...
    Originally posted by dellboy102
    It's fiddly to fit, and can be messy on an ongoing basis when you refill the ink tanks. Still - it saves money (which is the whole point of this site), and is better for the environment than buying cartridges.

Whatever ink source you use, in the long run it is usually cheaper to leave your printer turned on. The power cycling procedure uses ink, and ink clogs in the heads if the printer is turned off for a week or two. The head cleaning cycle that you need to go through to clear this blockage uses ink. Depending on how expensive your ink is, you may find the electrical cost of leaving your printer switched on is offset by the cost of the ink if you don't.
  • gf3
    similar to the first post i use http://www.continuousink.com/
    works for me
    • Middlestitch
    • By Middlestitch 10th Oct 07, 12:41 AM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 2,410 Thanks
    Middlestitch
    The older Epson printers can churn out endless pages and are especially good if you just need loads of reasonable quality black printing. Try e-bay or Freecycle at www.freecycle.org (you can ask on the latter site if anyone has an old Epson they are no longer using or see if one's being offered locally). Cheapest compatible inks I've found are from www.7dayshop.com
  • AlanUdale
    Canon
    I purchased a Canon Pixma ip5300 I used pricerunner to find the best deal at £74.

Put little holes in the tops of the ink cartridges and covered this with bluetac.

Now just push a needle through the bluetac refill the ink and cover the bluetac over.

Each refill costs about 11p.

INK was from local computer store in bottles.

Tested with differant printing papers and all seems fine.
  • JimOllerhead
    I use an Epson D88 Plus but with the cartridge monitoring disabled because the thing prints on LONG after the Epson software says it needs replacing (AND the warning LED flashes on the printer).... disable it (can't remember how) and then use a freebie utility called SSC service utility to REALLY tell you how much ink is left
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,280Posts Today

5,564Users online

Martin's Twitter