Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 25th Feb 14, 5:34 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Want Amazon Prime? Sign up tonight to save and get Lovefilm streaming
    • 25th Feb 14, 5:34 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Want Amazon Prime? Sign up tonight to save and get Lovefilm streaming 25th Feb 14 at 5:34 PM
    "Anyone who signs up to Amazon Prime from tomorrow will have to pay £79/year Ė up from £49/year now..."

Read the full story:

Want Amazon Prime? Sign up tonight to save and get Lovefilm streaming

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • neneromanova
    • By neneromanova 25th Feb 14, 6:01 PM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 6,908 Thanks
    neneromanova
    • 25th Feb 14, 6:01 PM
    • 25th Feb 14, 6:01 PM
    So Does this affect Amazon family?
    DD1 Born 31st March 2008
    DD2 Born 29th August 2010
    DS1 Born 28th October 2013
    Got Married 15th September 2012 Now Mrs Clark

• nickcc
    • By nickcc 25th Feb 14, 6:30 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    nickcc
    • 25th Feb 14, 6:30 PM
    • 25th Feb 14, 6:30 PM
    Existing prime customers don't pay the extra until their membership is due for renewal, just cancel before payment is due. I found prime useful but will not be renewing when my membership is due for renewal.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 25th Feb 14, 6:35 PM
    • 14,083 Posts
    • 72,288 Thanks
    I luv cats
    • 25th Feb 14, 6:35 PM
    • 25th Feb 14, 6:35 PM
    If your not hot on the bundle, an existing customer retentions deal might save on the instant film only.

I'm on a 4 for 2 deal (£11.98 for 4 months) and had a 3 for 1 in the past.

On the whole it's a good service via my wii console.
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 25th Feb 14, 8:07 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 2,200 Thanks
    S0litaire
    • 25th Feb 14, 8:07 PM
    • 25th Feb 14, 8:07 PM
    Current prime members get an extra year at £49 so you pay the increased charge in 2015!

I had a prime and LOVEFiLM subscription so this saves me a lot around £30 a year!!
    Cancelled my LOVEFiLM subscription yesterday. ��
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • Mum2jlk
    • 25th Feb 14, 8:11 PM
    • 25th Feb 14, 8:11 PM
    I am currently on the trial period does anyone know if it will be 49 or 79 after the trial?
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 25th Feb 14, 8:13 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 2,200 Thanks
    S0litaire
    • 25th Feb 14, 8:13 PM
    Not sure! What you'll get charged if you're on a trial.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 25th Feb 14, 8:13 PM
    • 14,083 Posts
    • 72,288 Thanks
    I luv cats
    I am currently on the trial period does anyone know if it will be 49 or 79 after the trial?
    Originally posted by Mum2jlk

• nickcc
    • By nickcc 25th Feb 14, 8:26 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    nickcc
    • 25th Feb 14, 8:26 PM
    • 25th Feb 14, 8:26 PM
    Current prime members get an extra year at £49 so you pay the increased charge in 2015!

I had a prime and LOVEFiLM subscription so this saves me a lot around £30 a year!!
    Cancelled my LOVEFiLM subscription yesterday. ��
    Originally posted by S0litaire
    Info from Amazon just stated that I would be paying the new charge from October this year.
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 25th Feb 14, 8:35 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 2,200 Thanks
    S0litaire
    Well I got an email saying my next subscription on April this year will still be £49 and the new charge won't be applied till April 2015. A few others have had emails like this

Might be just those within a few months of the change are getting this deal.
    Laters

Sol

• S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 25th Feb 14, 8:39 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 2,200 Thanks
    S0litaire
    Only thing I'm not sure about is my smart TV...

Usually use that to stream LOVEFiLM, just need to wait to see if that swaps over to Amazon prime in an update expected in the next day or so!! (TV gave me advanced warning of a new update a few days ago!)
    Laters

Sol

• notanewuser
    • By notanewuser 25th Feb 14, 8:42 PM
    • 7,997 Posts
    • 13,910 Thanks
    notanewuser
    Well I got an email saying my next subscription on April this year will still be £49 and the new charge won't be applied till April 2015. A few others have had emails like this

Might be just those within a few months of the change are getting this deal.
    Originally posted by S0litaire
    My renewal is in early May and it says on the e-mail and in my account that it will be £79.

ETA - new trial taken out in DH's name with me as a household sharer of Prime.
    Last edited by notanewuser; 25-02-2014 at 8:49 PM.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • cheesemp
    I've already cancelled my wife's prime renewal. Love film is of no interest to me - I already have Netflix (which is android capable unlike love film). Really hoping they cancel this stupid change!
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 25th Feb 14, 10:06 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    Just signed up for the 30 Day Free Trial.

Can borrow one book a month for free, one at a time.
    Presumably you must have a Kindle to manage the loans.

I have a few Lonely Planet guide books in (I think) .pdf format.
    If they work on Kindle, I will try to get a Kindle when there's a good deal.
    • notanewuser
    • By notanewuser 25th Feb 14, 10:33 PM
    • 7,997 Posts
    • 13,910 Thanks
    notanewuser
    Just signed up for the 30 Day Free Trial.

Can borrow one book a month for free, one at a time.
    Presumably you must have a Kindle to manage the loans.

I have a few Lonely Planet guide books in (I think) .pdf format.
    If they work on Kindle, I will try to get a Kindle when there's a good deal.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    There are kindle apps for ipad/android tablets.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
    • lr1277
    • By lr1277 25th Feb 14, 10:59 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    lr1277
    I don't particularly like this fee increase.

However I suspect that Prime membership was costing them more money than they were making.

So they decided to up the charge. A 61% increase is massive.
    So they decided to offer something that is essentially cheap/free for them as a justification for the price increase.

IMO.
    • fabforty
    • By fabforty 26th Feb 14, 8:20 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    fabforty
    Amazon have already emailed and said that I will be paying £79, but as I have no interest in streamed films, I will also be cancelling. It will probably save me money in the long run, as with Prime membership I know I ordered more from Amazon, than I would otherwise.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 26th Feb 14, 8:52 AM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    nickcc
    Amazon have already emailed and said that I will be paying £79, but as I have no interest in streamed films, I will also be cancelling. It will probably save me money in the long run, as with Prime membership I know I ordered more from Amazon, than I would otherwise.
    Originally posted by fabforty
    Also found that with prime I was looking at Amazon first before other suppliers and usually found what I wanted even though the price without postage could be higher, will just spend more time searching other suppliers after I cancel prime in October.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 26th Feb 14, 9:19 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    The Instant Video is working on the PC, but the LoveFilm app on my Samsung TV doesn't.

It has two login options, one using a LoveFilm account, the other one using the Amazon.co.uk account, but you need to have "linked" the Amazon account to the LoveFilm account somehow. I expect they will update something to make it work soon.
    • fabforty
    • By fabforty 26th Feb 14, 10:47 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    fabforty
    I have just spotted something which is potentially misleading (on my account anyway).

I have just double checked my account and there is a big banner at the top of my Prime Membership page which says that I am now enjoying 'unlimited streaming of videos ....at no extra cost until March 2015', BUT when I look at my membership details to the side, it confirms that my current prime mmbership ends March 2014 and will be renewed at the price of £79!.

So it is definitely worth double checking your membership details.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,364Posts Today

7,511Users online

Martin's Twitter